Home General Training Discussions
Options

Boomer (Virtual Meet Up) Idea....

124»

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to hearing opinions on this topic.
  • Options
    Here's a thought...instead of formal presentations, have a round table discussion where everyone, in less than a minute, says ONE or TWO bullets about what he or she is doing in each of the two topic areas. That should take less than half an hour. Then, when everyone's had a chance to share, we can probe each other's ideas or actions. A conversation, not a seminar.
  • Options
    Great idea, Al. I like it.
  • Options
    Excellent! I will be there 14 May - great topics!

• Options
    An interactive discussion as Al has suggested is a good idea!
  • Options
    Once again, @Al Truscott nails it...your homework then...

• HIIT Training to maintain VO2 & Maintain Muscle
    • Modifying Plans (and your Season) to Allow for Longer Recovery.
    We'll go 1-2 minutes each, then when all have spoken, we can do some roundtable stuff. 

Let's go 8pm on Monday 5/14 here: https://zoom.us/j/2572877525  (or enter this number when you join me from your Zoom account: 257-287-7525)

I have a Spring Choral Concert to go to that might have me back closer to 8:15...but I'll be there. I will pass on hosting credentials to @Paul Curtin in case he wants to moderate / record. 

Can't wait all!!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    I'll be late joining the fun as well since I'll be getting a massage that
    afternoon.
  • Options
    5 PM PDT/7 PM CDT...
  • Options
    It’s in my calendar. 
  • Options
    Oooh, I'm "only" 53 but having already had a stint with cancer and the preventative drugs that I've been on for the five years since that, my body is a little ahead of itself in the aging department.  Along with the wonderful sagging skin, I am learning to adjust to some of the changes, not get too down on myself and just keep moving the body.  I'd love to join in on this group!  Will now attempt to catch up on all the posts!

Patti 
  • Options
    I’ll be there 7pm CDT
  • Options
    One really interesting thing for me is having a "governor" other than perceived Max effort.   In my case, I have developed a heart arrhythmia such that really hard efforts (such as the last few minutes of an FTP test) cause me to get  a run of HR in the 220's.  Prolonged endurance events such as a hard 6 hour ride cause me to have a lower HR that is irregular and I lose power pretty noticeably.  My cardiologist does not feel; that this is dangerous but it is limiting to my exercise goals.

Thus, my challenge is to do enough HIIT without bringing on the funny HR.  My leg strength is no longer my limiting factor.  Endurance training with a TSS of over 250 or so in a week causes issues.  Thus, hard workouts with good time for recovery are what seems to work best.  Be interested to get other folk's perspective.
  • Options
    Team, Seminar 2 on Training and Season Adjustments (aka the RoundTable edition) is live on the EN site here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Seminars.aspx

By all accounts a great success. Many thanks to moderator @Paul Curtin For his help and leadership here. 

I'd really appreciate your feedback and input here so we can continue to improve. What would you change (if anything)?

Best,

~ Coach P
  • Options
    As a participant, I felt much more engaged than I did the time before (even though I was a presenter then). The real value to me is hearing what others are dealing with, and their solutions, which then sparks more thinking on my part in reaction.

Part of why this worked was the size of the group - anything larger and a round table would become more and more unwieldy. But I don't want to limit the number...

90' is too long, though...we've got to exercise as much discipline with our time as we do when training?

Also, I'd like having some way to capture in real time key points (in my small group days, we called that role "scribe") so they can be seen by participants and then shared after the fact.
  • Options
    @Al Truscott Once again, reading my mind. I think one topic per meet up would be plenty. Each topic could’ve used more time for discussion—maybe one topic and about an hour total time per meet up might work well. I was also thinking a  “note-taker” would be a great idea, not only to document the bullet points, but maybe to help continue the discussion in the forums. This thread is getting long. Maybe in the Boomer forum, we could have a different thread for each meet up. For example, @Al Truscott started the discussion about what metrics we use (TSB in TrainingPeaks, ramp rate, etc) to determine when we take rest days. Not everyone was able to comment, and I’m sure some of us may have others (i.e. resting heart rate, heart rate variability). The forums would be a great place to share those specifics—and if we know we can do that, we can keep our discussion more global.
  • Options
    So frustrated that I wasn’t able to participate! I must have had network issues and couldn’t get to the post with the link to the session. I sure hope there is a recording 
  • Options
    I also agree. A "scribe" would help to identify the common themes that many of us spoke of. For example losing the ability to add intensity to running, or the topic of zone 5 training as we age. As those common themes become clear we could drill down further on these topics one or two at a time in future meetings. The open discussion format does get us all thinking and feeding of others ideas and solutions. Good stuff.
  • Options
    I liked the open discussion... the small group dialogue allows more personal and real-time interactions than the forums... organization is a bit challenging requiring mute/unmute coordination without nonverbal cues to guide speakers. Agree, one topic with a new ongoing forum thread. 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick way ahead of me. Found the thread and posted a follow-up discussion.
  • Options
    Excellent webinar and although I wish I had been able to attend the live event I found watching it after the fact very useful.

Like many others, I have a Training Peaks account to track my work as well as building workouts to use in Zwift. I've lightly dabbled in the metrics of the site but never really dove into it in a big way. I've simply used it more as a training calendar and log than as a tool to measure fitness. 

So, I'd like to ask a follow up question about the TSS numbers. Several people quoted a -15 TSB (or Fitness Ramp Rate) number as the tipping point from fitness to being overly fatigued. In looking at my charts, which exact number is? There is a rolling average based on time (7 day/28 day/90 day & 365) so when you say "-15" which one is that?

I've been unable to ride during the week as of late due to work and my Mom being in the hospital but I'm about to complete 200 consecutive days of running. For me, durability has been the KEY and like @Al Truscott stated doing something every day (even if it means a short 2 mile/20' run) has been a complete game changer! I've gotten my FTP up to 284 which was completely unheard in my prior OutSeason efforts and have generally felt pretty darn good!

I'd appreciate some insight on the Training Peaks question and appreciated everyone's participation in the webinar and to @Paul Curtin for taking the lead on this event. 

• Options
    @Todd Bray, the number you're asking about is the number the TP calls
    "Form" or "TSB" - training stress balance.

"CTL" or chronic training load is the 42 day running average of "TSS",
    training stress score, of your daily workouts. Generally, as your CTL goes
    up the form goes down.
  • Options
    CTL - ATL = ~TSB

CTL (Fitness Level) less ATL (Accumulated work Load or Fatigue) = approximately TSB.

TSB or total stress balance is a mathematical estimate of how tired or how recovered you feel.

@Mark Maurer is correct in the definition of CTL he provides above.

• Options
    @Todd Bray Unfortunately, it's not that simple. It depends on how rapidly you are increasing your daily workload, what your recent (3 month) workload has been (coming off the couch is tougher than percolating along at a steady rate, then ramping up), your age, your general fitness level, your experience with structured training (first three years vs long-term athlete), etc.

FYI, this conversation has moved to a new thread Alicia started, lots more being said there:

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/264471#Comment_264471
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick @Sheila Leard I think our next meet up should be nutrition and hydration—training and racing. Seeing a lot of talk in GroupMe chats, and racing season is already here, for some.