Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Pat Koss Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

I think your overall plan is great. Your fellow age group members have had good success planning on a longer timeline. The biggest key to your success is staying healthy so the best long-term play just to make sure you’re doing all of the flexibility core and strength work that will add up. Even one or two sessions a week for 20 to 30 minutes will make a difference across two years. I was suggest you invest this year on making yourself fast on the bike and sitting out as a target from a fitness , Equipment, and execution perspective. We could be laying a good run foundation during this time. Then next year we bring the run up to the level of your bike. How does that sound?

~ Coach P

No retiree discount just yet, sorry. Remember, I have to make it to retirement! 😂

pps - there is a nice text group for the all season as well, you might want to check that out if you prefer texting to the forums.

• Options

@Coach Patrick , roger that on the reaching retirement! It comes. trust me.

If I understand you (let me play back a few points to see if I understand), don't yet schedule any races for 2018. Not to say that I wouldn't race, but my athletic life in 2018 would be built around bike/run improvements and not race centric. To that be consistent through the year with strength and flexibility. Then when 2019 is closer, look at where I'm at and plan a strategy to get on the podium or even win in HIM.

Did that about cover it? Did I miss anything?

Avoiding the big races keeps costs down. I could race local with the local tri team...but keep the travel and event size fun.

Avoid injury too. The strength approach is good for that. Typically my go to is yoga on my own (cheap). But I'm sure I could find someone to help me with other strength work, so I'm doing it correctly.

If I'm not missing anything major, then we can dialog about what a season would look like to improve bike and run, and how we would measure that (beyond the obvious FTP and run test pace). Give that some thought. We can cover it in coming weeks and even on the phone if you have time, assuming I have the first paragraph roughly correct.

Have a great day!

• Options

As long as you mean 2019 and 2020, I think we are good yes, the more control we have over the year, the better off you’ll be. Of course, we can add and Races for fun, just trying to be realistic about your goals and how to make the most of your training time. You can go ahead and schedule a call here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

That might be the best place for us to lay the foundation.

• Options

@Pat Koss -- so great to talk with you yesterday. I'm glad we set the tone for the next couple months around quality versus Just racing. As we look at your season, I see lots of room for growth with the "not racing long" approach. Here's what I think.

1. Find and choose the short races. Have fun. No more than 1 per discipline per month. So a 5k and Sprint in a month is okay. 3 5k races in a month? Not okay. You can add them directly to the Final Surge Calendar or tell me here; your call.
    2. I do want to plan on a few bigger bike events; either a weekend century / fondo or perhaps a mini-camp. The cycling volume is your friend and you can "go Super long" Ideally once every 8 weeks or so. So again, you can plan out / identify options and we can go from there.
    3. The underlying focus is run durability. I know you mentioned loving the track; I say we plan on about 14 weeks of steady run stuff in the OutSeason Plan and then we can decide how we want to tackle the run challenge of speed.

Did I miss anything?

~ Coach P

• Options

I think you covered it.

I'll identify races that fit the model you outline. There is a 15K in early February that I'll probably run to get a feel for current running capaility -- call it a test. Then the LR half marathon with Virginia the first week in March. Pace for that will be her pace and not mine -- the distance is not an issue for me since we've been ramping up with her training. I'll put all of this in Final Surge.

I'll also identify bike events. I miss the long rides from Ironman training, so that will be welcome. And I've found value in heavy volume "camp" weeks.

No track till you say so. For now in the Outseason the run focus is consistency.

What metrics (bike, run, swim) should I be tracking to measure progress to the 2020 goals? The usuals (FTP, run test pace, etc.)? It will be a different year without a race goal. I will make sure that I'm set up to track (restarting with WKO4 so that should more than do it for tracking and analysis).

Looking forward to 2019 with the 2020 podium focus.

• Options

All of that sounds good to me. In terms of metrics, I recommend you track a few items:

• Weekly run volume.
    • Weekly cycling volume.
    • Combined Weekly bike and run TSS the value.

These are the critical numbers that we will focus on for now.

• Options

OK, I've been low maintenance for some time. Let's talk.

Question: from this point, what do you think a build in 2019 looks like?

Refresher: Objective in 2019 is to prepare to kill a HIM in 2020 when I age up to the 65-year-old AG in April 2020. That said, we agreed to do a heavy bike focus in 2019, even abstaining from any big races in 2019, and focus on bike work to make the most of that discipline.

I've been working on the January OS and overall I'm pleased. Some travel, and priorities of getting Virginia through the Little Rock marathon weekend (she placed 2nd in her 10K AG, but burned too many matches in the 10K to finish the half on a miserably cold and rainy day). Overall I'm pleased with the OS. My FTP has held steady on the last test, even with zero rest before the test due to shifting schedules. Took the bike to AZ so I could keep up with OS bike workouts and that was a big win.

I've put together some local long distance tours/fondo's etc. These are not races, but you know how that goes. Here is a list of things within 50 or so miles. I'm still soliciting others a little further distance out.

> Cardiac Classic, April 20, 100K, Cardiac Classic

> Tour de Rock, June 1, 100 mi / 100K, Tour de Rock

> Wampoo Roadeo, July 20, 100K, Wampoo Roadeo

> Big Dam Bridge, Sept 28, 100 mi / 100K, BDB 100

I could throw in a sprint/olympic tri also through the summer. There are a few, and easy to find and fit in.

Anything else you would recommend? What key races or camps might fit? Anything where the team could use some help from a non-racing member (do you need an extra hand to manage the race weekend)?

As I write this I have to admit that I miss the big bike volume of full IM training, cranking out a 80-100 mile long ride most every week near the end for 4-6 weekends.

I also customarily stay on Zwift through the summer months for weekday work. I think the quality can be excellent compared with outdoors, not to mention the convenience. I've never begun to do Zwift races...how might that fit in with what you propose?

Looking forward to our dialog.

• Options

@Coach Patrick , could you take a look at the previous post and give it some thought.

Thanks!

pat

• Options

@PatKoss - OKAY!!!! Thanks so much for your patience as I clear my inbox. With regards to training for an Ironman, be careful of what you wish for... that Volume has a price! 😴

With a big ride very 6-ish weeks you should be a beast by the end of the year.

Yes, do the short stuff for fun when you see fit, but not pressure. Consider it equal parts social and workout, not racing. I'd rather you focus on your transformation to becoming a full roadie by Fall 2019. We need you to have cycling gloves, high socks, matching kit and fierce tan lines.

To put it another way, the sooner you can look like your avatar in zwift the more satisfied I will be with your progress!!!! 🤣

And yes to staying gin Zwift during the week... I am the same way. Simply cannot beat the quality!

~ Coach P

• Options

Back in the house after some time off from EN. Kept things as you indicated above, focusing on bike and doing epic roadie bike things every 6 weeks or so. It was a good year and I feel stronger.

I did not race at all in 2019. Have not done that in many years. It was refreshing.

Been taking October off reminding my legs of what a consistent run plan looks like (Durability month 1).

As a reminder, in 2020 I age up to 65 and want to get back on the podium at a 70.3 WTC race.

I am thinking of 2 to 3 70.3's in 2020. So far I have late August covered with Traverse City (we grew up in Michigan before our move in 1983 to Arkansas). Right now I'm looking at the first race slot, evaluating the top 3 competition in a number of races to know where I need to work and which races are more competitive than others. So far Florida in April looks interesting. Once I have the 1st race picked I'll look at the middle race (maybe Muncie in July or CT in June - we have a daughter and family in Easton, CT).

I also have considered a more focused coaching approach in 2020 to help me get to my goal. Scott Dinhofer recommended a step up in your coaching level (he spoke very highly of your focus with him toward IMLP). I've also approached one local coach whom I trust to help fill that gap. Of course that comes at a cost, and with that I probably should spend some time with you on the phone to discuss your thoughts on season approach.

Anyway, off to the races with the start of Outseason on October 28th.

pat

• Options

Thanks for the update and the detail.I'm glad you took the time off,I didn't that's one of the best ways to make sure you're ready to come back strongerEspecially now that you have aged up. 💪

Starting out season is great,And we can certainly add in the rest of the races as we go.Feel free to set up a call with me in my calendar via the link below and we can discuss what your options are.

https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min

• Options

Congratulations on your IMAZ win! You were a machine. The team was a blast to watch on GroupMe.

Follow up to our last call of Tuesday Nov 19.

The FTP test yielded the single highest 20 minute power output...EVER (per TP history which looks like it goes back to 2014, and is likely the best of the best of my bike power). 257 20 minute watts yielding an FTP of 244, a full +10 watts up from my last FTP change in May. At 64-years-old I'm pretty pumped.

I think our plan of taking 2019 off and focusing on the bike has produced some changes.

Run test tomorrow. Don't expect as much there, since with so much bike focus, my run has taken a hit. Working to remind my legs. But I'll be at the track Wednesday (tomorrow) with friends at 5am and will get it done.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

• Options
    Pat -

Thank you so much for following up! Those are some phenomenal results. The
    best part is, you earned every single white. Sometimes people have a good
    test for unknown reasons, but we know exactly what you’ve done to get that
    strong. I am very pleased to see how our long-term plan is coming together.

When you get a chance, feel free to post those run test results. No
    pressure, I’m just curious.
  • Options

The results from Nov 26 were 257 watts over 20 minutes, yielding an FTP of 244. Here is TrainingPeaks graphic of all time best 20 minute results:

Feb 5, 2019 was an FTP test in the January OS. May 13 was the Zwift Giro D'Italia TT (hill climb). The two points before the Nov 26 FTP test were both from NOS 2 x 20' workouts leading up to Nov 26.

W/Kg is an issue with me since I carry 176 lbs (today) on a 5' 11" frame. At 64 years old the tire around my middle seems to be a fixture. Yet when I was my lightest racing full IM (2016 leading up to IM Choo) I was mid 160's and not nearly as strong on the bike, so maybe I've picked up muscle. Not sure where to go with that but I thought I'd throw it in since W/Kg is the name of the game for bike and run.

Thanks for your support.

• Options

@PatKoss Thanks for the update on the test (and the graph) as well as your race submissions. I am cut/pasting them below for our reference but I hesitate to put in anything detailed as the early part of your year really remains in doubt in terms of races.

Main Race: Ironman 70.3 Traverse City (2020-08-30) #70.3TraverseCity_20   

Secondary Race: Memphis 70.3™ in October 2020 (just announced).

Additional Race Options: CT 70.3?

FWIW, CT 70.3™ is a beast of a race. Super hilly bike and run. So a great venue and great challenge...but not a course for a best time. You might do well there, but I want to be full disclosure with you re the difficultly level.

Other early season options include:

• 5/17/20 Chattanooga 70.3 (hilly run)
    • 5/9/20 Gulf Coast 70.3 (FL, ocean swim)
    • 4/19/20 Haines 70.3 (FL, flat)

Once we settle on an early season race we can get more detailed post the NOVOS!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks for the feedback @Coach Patrick. Just a quick update that the early season race is locked for CT 70.3 the end of May (close to my daughter in Easton, CT).

Thanks for the feedback on CT. I looked at the bike and run profiles. Our landscape here in Central Arkansas is very similar.

3,800 feet for 56 miles is hilly but not unlike what I can ride here. I have plenty of loops here to train on once the winter weather passes. I'll study the course, particularly any high-speed turns at the bottom of a steep descent (we have a few of those so I can make sure they are in my training). We can talk over the winter about equipment (road versus tri bike) and other aspects.

As for the run, 756 feet of gain over 13 miles is quite common around here also. My runs over the winter need to incorporate plenty of hills (up AND down). For example, my TRP run from the house this morning was 263 feet of ascent over 3.5 miles. I'll wear my 2007 Little Rock Marathon shirt for motivation (the motto was "What Hills?").

The good part of CT is that the goal is to get back on the podium, and since all of us will run on the same course/conditions, a PR is not an issue for me. Just execute the best possible race in all three (CT, Traverse City, Memphis) and aim for the podium.

Do you want me to update the season planning page?

Have a VERY MERRY and Blessed Christmas!

• Options

Short update.

NOS bike test was a fail. I was on target to repeat (my goal) the previous all time high, but at about 10 minutes in I let a bad/hard patch get to me and stopped my cadence. Mentally that gave my brain every excuse to not get it going again. In hindsight I should have dropped one gear and backed down the wattage for a short bit and then worked to get back on it. Will probably retest next week on Tuesday, depending on workouts. At the previous all-time high FTP the last section VO2 workouts were very tough, but I could manage them by staying away from ERG. Really wanted to repeat that last NOS all-time-high FTP test...still think I can if I can work through the mental demons.

Redemption though on 1/1/2020 at the track. 8 miles with a 5K test in the middle. The 5K was 25:06 or an 8:06 pace overall. Tough but I wasn't yet puking. Splits for pace and watts (stryd) were very flat. The Stryd app calculated a new critical power (I'll need to update my zones). You need to go back to 2016 to find a run as fast. Too many years spent slogging at Ironman paces. A few friends and I used to eat up a weekly track workout, and I'm back with those friends since 2019...If you want to run fast, run with some (very) fast friends.

2020 is going to be a blast with the three 70.3's I now have calendared (see previous post). I'll celebrate them and going on Medicare...LMAO.

Hope your time on the slopes with family was good.

Happy New Year.

• Options

@PatKoss thank you For the update. I’m super pumped to hear about that run performance. It’s nice to see that you still have some of those fast twitch muscle fibers in place, and that you’ve done the good work and get them ready for the test. Don’t get too bummed out about the latest ftp test; I find that it’s very hard mentally to sit on a steady number for the entire block. Personally I did better riding in some kind of short Zwift race and then seeing what the numbers are afterwards because the surges are something easier for me to deal with than staring at a single number the whole time.

Mentally I break the test into eight minutes, four minutes, eight minutes. It’s eight minutes of initial work, followed by the hardest four minutes to bridge. Then it’s just eight minutes to get it done and I’m counting down. I did a lot of 20 minute intervals in college and that was my little trick. It’s nice to isolate those four minutes in the middle of the mentally tough because that’s where you are telling yourself you can’t go on, but we know from past performance that in those last 8 minutes I’ve always got a little bit more left.

In terms of the season, we will want to transition year from the OutSeason program into the half plan for 70.3 Connecticut. Let me know if you need my help updating that

good luck!

• Options

@Coach Patrick Sorry for the length of this (maybe not really...see below).

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. I didn't repeat the test, but just went on to the L3 workouts. Last week was hard (week 11) but got the 2 x 20' done. Today's week 12 L3 3 x 12', the ERG monster bit me again on the 3rd of three (got 12' done but not without brief cadence stops to reset). So I need to get back into racing. Maybe with a bump race or three and see if, like you said, not focusing on a number but on the competition helps. Right now I'm not operating at that all-time-high FTP of 244 of a few weeks ago, but I'm still training at it.

Leading up to the CT 70.3 I have loaded the new 12-week, bike focused 70.3 plan to start March 9 and end race weekend. Virginia and I are going to drive up from Arkansas in the truck (can bring both tri and road bikes just in case) and stay at my daughter's in Easton, CT, but I booked a hotel close to the race site for Saturday/Sunday race weekend to avoid race day stress of the drive there (been there, done that and don't want to repeat as that pre-race getting lost on a somewhat long drive to the race site, ended up with one of my two 2016 race-related hospital stays - never again).

So between the end of NOS and March 9 I have an open hole in the plan. I was thinking of a run focused block hopefully with some bike balance, concluding with the Little Rock Half Marathon on March 1. There is also another half on February 16 not too far away in Texarkana (on the TX/AR border), if you think a double half marathon is not too much stress (spaced two weeks apart). I could do the LRHM date, or even fit in a couple, spaced two weeks apart. That would give me a week from March 2-9 to recover and then hit the 70.3 bike focus plan for 12 weeks.

Your thoughts please.

Overall I feel good (few 64-year-olds can say that) but I am feeling the accumulated training stress of the NOS here near the end. Clearly I have not done this amount of work (13 hrs last week) in over a year.

If this run-focus before the 70.3 race prep plan begins on March 9 resonates with you, then do you have any suggestions on how to structure the workouts in this run block in February... maybe the tail end of the half marathon plan, or similar excerpt from a get faster run plan, or maybe a variant on the new 70.3 prep 4-week plan. Hopefully there is something with some bike in it to (a) give me some bike balance and (b) keep me from running 90-100% of the time (injury risk avoidance).

To summarize the 2020 year that is emerging:

• Finish NOS through end of January
    • Feb-March 8 Open hole...propose some sort of run focus leading to at least the LR Half Marathon March 1
    • March 2-9, dial it back a bit
    • March 9 - May 31 Race prep and execution of Ironman CT 70.3
    • (I might throw in a sprint in April just to dust off execution...been a while)
    • June - August sweat in Arkansas (my running kryptonite) and train leading up to Ironman Traverse City, MI 70.3 Aug 30
    • (I grew up in Michigan and it should be cold by my Arkansas standards. Also we will pull the fifth wheel up to MI so I can easily acclimate with early arrival in Michigan.)
    • Memphis 70.3 October 3 (this one was just too close at 125 miles away and over 30 from the local club are doing it. Not going to worry about it now in January)

Also, if within the services of my EN subscription I'm asking too much of you, say so and lets discuss. I definitely value your input.

2020 Goal reminder for both of us: Back on the podium in 2020

This is getting real again. Its been a while and I love the stress of it.

• Options

@PatKoss - love where you are at...and you have earned the right to be tired!

Modifications for you: Can we make Mondays off? I think a run focus is okay, but I also like the idea of pushing any Monday Swim stuff to WKO #2 on a Wed (post run if this was OS) so you get a full day off. We can try it for 5 weeks and see...I think you'll appreciate it! 👍

Run focus is okay...the OS runs are already prepping you the right way, so not a ton extra to do there other than keep the run rolling. I vote that you:

1. Do not test on Sunday, but ride again (90') and do a steady 60' run off the bike or later in the day.
    2. Load the Half Marathon Balanced plan as of monday to end on 3/1. I am writing new versions of that plan this week so standby to load it until you check in with me via text (617) 513-3830.
    3. Week off in Early March will be super important. Find something else to do. Hike. Explore. Build something. Just keep training to 30' a day.
    4. Build to 70.3™ CONN is perfect, as is the rest of the year...

Curious to hear what you think of the bike test. I prefer longer climbs for FTP work on the trainer. They are less crowded and easier for me to pace...maybe choose ALP or Epic Climb next time?

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited January 29, 2020 4:47PM

@Coach Patrick

So as for the NOS test, just a reminder. I set a lifetime high of 244 in the test before last in NOS and have been training at that set point since then. I bombed the last test (mental failure). This time I wanted to try something different. A friend of mine (Leah Thorvilson) raced in the pro race on this course on Monday (she is with team Turbo), and chatting w/her this was about the right length for an FTP test and the competition would keep my mind in the game. I ran two power meters -- the Kickr and an old crank based Quarq (using my road bike). Training Peaks posted a 254 new FTP on the Kickr file and a 245 on the Quarq, so either way you cut it, I backed up the previous lifetime best. Pretty stoked, given that I go on Medicare soon. (p.s. edit, the more I think about it I gamed the test by not doing the 5/20 protocol and emptying the tank on the 5-min VO2 work. I'll keep the FTP at 244 and stay after it.)

I like everything you write above and will incorporate it. I had already been studying the balanced half marathon plan, and will wait on your signal to load it.

CT looks like a hard race. You said that earlier in this thread and a friend of my daughter and son-in-law (who live close to the race site in Easton, CT), that friend said the same thing. Looking at last year's 65-69 race, the competition was stout. Not only will the bike be a lot of climbing (Arkansas hills can match that for training), but the run will be fast by my standard and again with hills (we have plenty to train in and that just from the house).

I look forward to working with you. Will ping you in a week or so regarding the balanced HM plan. Keep my number too (501.772.3307).

Enjoy skiing this weekend.

pat

• Options

I hope you are still proud of the results. I think it's one hell of an accomplishment. And I like that you used the event. That's a good protocol moving forward.

Not sure if you saw it, but the new half plans are now live. There is some information in the announcement for them about it. Go ahead and load it up when you are ready. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Options

I'm good with the results. Close enough (protocol, that is) to get me in the ball park. Plus I need to race more.

Yes I saw the HM plans and have already loaded the last 4 weeks of the Balanced HM plan, ending March 1 with the Little Rock (Half) Marathon.

• Options

Sweet‼️ Onwards then!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited March 1, 2020 6:13PM

@Coach Patrick

Sweet indeed. Results from today's Little Rock Half Marathon.

1:57:37 for 8:58/mi. Overall 7th in my age group (60-64), but (wait for it...).

In one month and 3 days I turn 65. In that age group I would have won with a 2 minute cushion.

Mission accomplished with the 1 month run block. Objective was to run hard and remind myself of what a road race is like when its not preceded by a swim and a bike. Not a PR in the half, but I can do this again, and do better in a single road race. Now to translate that to a post bike run. If I can do that, I will be very competitive in my age group at CT, Traverse City and Memphis.

I will be taking a week off as discussed above. The fifth-wheel is in the driveway and probably going to head to the FL panhandle this week. Then back at it with the 70.3 bike focused plan (I've been doing L3 all winter so staying with success). First race is May 31 in CT. Hope to see you there.

I need you to push me to get there. Thanks and looking forward to working with you and the team.

Also, the team was represented at the race by @Heather Helms . Yes there is team life in Arkansas.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

IM 70.3 CT was just postponed also with no new date yet.

That leaves 70.3's in Traverse City (August 30) and Memphis (October 3) on my schedule. Will wait and see what the reschedule date is for CT. I need to make a trip to CT to see the family there but I suspect that area will be somewhat off limits for a while (tri-state governors have agreed to act in sync with policy to avoid people fleeing between NJ, NY and CT).

Depending on the CT date I might do a 3 race schedule (I'll get back with you on that when the reschedule is known). But for now I'll check my options on my registration (I did buy insurance on that one).

As for a plan forward, I'm going to clear the race prep for IM 70.3 CT and add in the race prep for the August 31 Traverse City race. In the gap I was thinking of a blend of Get Faster .

I did an FTP test today and while not at the high-water-mark of the NOS block, it was in the vicinity (238 today with an all-time-high of 244 over this winter). I was not rested, so I feel that 238 is solid. And with your advice from above on how to mentally approach the test and break it down, I was mentally in the game the whole time.

I turn 65 this week. I'm not backing off on my age up plan for 70.3's to get back on a podium. Also, if you didn't get a chance to read it, see my March 1 post regarding the run-block strategy for February and the results at the Little Rock (half) Marathon. Gave me a big boost of confidence.

Maybe someday I'll do another 140.6 but for now they still scare me (after IM Choo a few years ago and my two race related trips to the hospital that year).

What do you think? Any other strategy I might consider?

Oh, I do appreciate all the bike and happy hour get together time.

• Options

@PatKoss - hey, first things first, Happy Birthday! 🎉 if I remember, I'll make everybody sing to you this week. 🤣 thanks for attending in for participating. They definitely are a nice complement to the seriousness of our shared reality.

This week should be even a little crazier with a chance to go live with the folks from Ventum. The owner is a total character!

I agree with you overall with the transition plan you've outlined. I don't have an issue at all with the moving towards Get Faster Blend into Race Prep. Play only edit would be to challenge yourself from the volume standpoint on the weekends on the bike. As the weather gets nicer, if you feel safe getting outside, you can certainly start to add some more volume to the mix to help with your development. It's a nice counterpoint to the quality training that we've been doing all year related to intervals.

If you didn't have that big block of training on your body, I might be more open to you doing more of that work in the short term. But we cannot get too unbalanced.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick ,

Just a short note. Got the official email from IM regarding CT: Cancelled (no option to xfer to CT next year...I heard rumor of it being cancelled). Lots of late season options. I will digest and get back with you. Might do a forum thread to gain insight.

• Options

@PatKoss - like a plan. I just saw that as well, and had to break the news to another one of our athletes who is planning on competing. Interesting to see that they couldn't get a race to be super successful give it what a hot bit of triathlon this is in New England. 😢 I'm here for you...