Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Pat Koss Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrick just an FYI. I transferred the IM 70.3 CT to Waco. That has me scheduled for IM 70.3 Traverse City MI, IM 70.3 Memphis and IM 70.3 Waco all in the span of 6 weeks. Its still a long way off so I'm going to enjoy the summer and some long rides and climbs here in Arkansas. At 65 now the thought of 3 races in 6 weeks is intimidating, but if I focus on my health it should be executable. The goal remains the same...get back on the podium.

Have a great day.

• Options

@PatKoss

Here's what you updated me on:

IM 70.3 Traverse City MI, IM 70.3 Memphis and IM 70.3 Waco all in the span of 6 weeks.

Let's recap your season in light of these changes. Here's what we set out on:

• Finish NOS through end of January
    • Feb-March 8 Open hole...propose some sort of run focus leading to at least the LR Half Marathon March 1
    • March 2-9, dial it back a bit
    • March 9 - May 31 Race prep and execution of Ironman CT 70.3
    • (I might throw in a sprint in April just to dust off execution...been a while)
    • June - August sweat in Arkansas (my running kryptonite) and train leading up to Ironman Traverse City, MI 70.3 Aug 30 
    • (I grew up in Michigan and it should be cold by my Arkansas standards. Also we will pull the fifth wheel up to MI so I can easily acclimate with early arrival in Michigan.)
    • Memphis 70.3 October 3 (this one was just too close at 125 miles away and over 30 from the local club are doing it. Not going to worry about it now in January)

All of that ^above^  looks good to me in light of your race schedule change. Overall the general flow of your season is pretty straightforward and similar to what you had set out to do. The difference being that the compressed six week window of Races means that we need to have a fair amount of volume in our system to handle the sustained load of that race block. In other words, you need to show up ready to race early and then be able to carry that race fitness strategically across several weeks.

This is no small feat, which is why all the work you're doing right now is really important. I'm OK with you going out and having fun and doing what you want, but I would look specifically at June as an opportunity for us to put in some decent bike miles, at a minimum, to start triggering the larger Endurance response we need.

Sound good?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick ,

Agreed, but I'm not sure exactly how that plays out in terms of implementation. Is just doing the (level 3) work as scheduled what you have in mind? Or are you talking about that as a minimum and building on that?

I'm still committed to the podium goal and on any given day I think it is a reasonable goal. I'm hitting a lot of the workouts now, with the total exception of the swim (pools open here soon), and working to refocus my effort on not only checking the boxes in the plan elements, but on excelling (yesterday hammering in CNC fashion local hill climbs for a local tri club hill climb competition, or today with the ABP raising my NP through the ride and hammering some hills to so that the intensity was not only ABP but significantly above that for the climbs...both days were fun and hard).

But I'm left wondering if having you do one-on-one coaching through the race events would be of value? Thoughts? Should we get on the phone to discuss? Feel free to reach out to my number below. I'm usually up from 5am CT to 8pm or so.

Of course, at this point in the pandemic, I'm left wondering if all my effort (and dollars) are for nothing, and no races will happen this year. That would mean a year of training (started in 2019 with NOS). Can't think about that too much. Best to just look forward and manage to what I know...next race August 30 in Traverse City.

Pat Koss

• Options

@Pat Koss I think the best way forward for you right now is following the Bike Specificity Block (6 weeks) which would allow you to build on the work you've done so far -- but extend the bike -- and then return to the final 9-ish weeks to TC as needed.

More bike fitness is always better, and the variety would be nicer. So, close out this week as planned.

We need to see how much rest you need (if any) so we can continue to build. If needed, this next week would be lighter M to F.

Then we'd go Bike Specificity.

I do have room at the Coach*EN level right now, so we can upgrade you for more of that time and personalized planning / feedback. Or you can do a one-time paid consult and continue With TeamEN as stands. They are roughly the same price, you save a bit on the membership change as it's renewing...

Let me know!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly the kind of feedback I needed!

I added the swim supplement to the 6 week block. The pools here in Arkansas are opening on Monday. I have not been near a pool since February, so the initial two weeks I'll just need to ease in.

And that is one stout 6 week bike (/run) block! Especially week 3 with the CNC on Saturday then the 120+ miler on Sunday. Whew! (you would see a big grin on my face right now). Fluids are an issue here now so that level of distance will need to be less than an epic tour and more of various out-and-backs, but that's implementation. Hmmm, I have an idea...some variation on this ride here in Arkansas, https://www.strava.com/activities/2627491893. I'm pretty confident I could get company for that one. Plus there is a small campground on the top of the mountain where I could park the fifth-wheel for an intermediate stop (plus there are stores on both endpoints). Something to think about. Sorry for rambling.

I feel pretty good rest-wise, but will take your advice and back off some till the block start on Monday. That makes perfect sense.

I'm going to stick with the TeamEN level for now. If I had confidence that the races would happen then I might move forward with the roughly $1K in expense, but none of us has that level of confidence. Also, check your pricing page, https://www.endurancenation.us/plans-pricing/, as it lists not only $297/4-weeks but also $397/4-weeks for the Coached EN level (or maybe I just don't understand).

As for feedback on progress with the specificity bike block, how often would you like for me to reach back to you on this thread for a follow-up on progress in this block?

Hoping for Traverse City, Memphis and Waco. I'm looking forward and avoiding (like a plague) the funk of races that might not happen. You just gave me a spark to work even harder to my podium 70.3 goal.

• Options

@PatKoss - thanks for sharing that route, I think it would really work for you. I like the idea of you parking at the top then you could just ride down and back up again from one side, refuel and then repeat on the other side. This would have you finishing on an up versus a down, which should be fine. Looks so epic!

All right, it's an ambitious block. But we roll with it until we need to rest. Remember there's a line in the sand at 42 days where you earn the right to rest significantly, which will be a nice weekend Block where are you absorb all of that work. It's just a function of getting there. Now, if life conspires to make you more tired than we anticipate, we can always adapt the plan earlier. This is a work in progress!

Feedback can just be here in this thread as a weekly review. I see the workout data anyway, so you can just type up your notes about what did it didn't work and then I can capture things from them. There is no "one right way" to do it. The consistency of information is what's most important to me.

No worries about not upgrading right now. The pricing changes based on availability. So when the first couple slots are full the price goes up. Right now I do have openings at a lower price point, and I will make adjustments in on the pricing page accordingly. Remember, you can always just do a consult with me for an hour of my time as an option as well. That's the best part about the Team is that you can add on what you need. 👍

~ Coach P

• Options

Was just thinking about you. FTP test today was wonky (operator error), but I still banged out a new FTP...247-247 depending on what number you believe (up from 238). I've been pounding outdoor hill climbs and VO2/climb work on Zwift so I think that worked.

Have a great day.

• Options

I'll try to do a weekly follow-up with you on Sunday after my week. During this first week in the [Specificity] Bike Focus Plan, All Abilities (6wks), here are the high points:

• New FTP of 248 (TP says 249). Had some technical issues (identified) during the Zwift full FTP test protocol and am confident the test was valid. I had more in that I slowed cadence at multiple points confused about what I was seeing. Anyway, the 248 parallels what I did over the winter in the NOS and also is just below what WKO5 says is my mFTP (~254 based on last 30 days), so I'll stick with 248.
    • Back in a (real) pool. Kept the volume/intensity in check.
    • Saturday was good, except I was thinking that Final Surge updated the workout text with updated zones (it did not). Anyway, I know that now I need to keep a cheat sheet of updated zones near me and don't depend on what is in the workout text. No biggie. The 3 x 5' needed some work (you'll see that in FS).
    • Sunday, was a slap in the face with high dew points. I lost 4.2 lbs and it was a quick reminder that I need to over hydrate. Humidity and heat are my kryptonite, which works well if Traverse City happens since it is MUCH cooler up there (I grew up in Michigan and would vacation every summer for 20 years about 60 miles from TC, so I remember it well).

Actions for next week:

• Fill out all the workouts to be "green", including the swims. I like green on Final Surge. And focus on hitting each zone target.
    • Pay much more attention to hydration, especially as the Arkansas summer arrives (we're not even close yet).

Questions

• Nothing hits me right now.
  • Options

@PatKoss - thank you for the detailed update! This is really helpful.

1. I agree that FTP looks good. Kudos to you for dealing with the technical challenges during the test and still being able to hit a solid number. That's pretty impressive. It's hard enough for me to keep my mind focused I'm just turning the pedals at some point! 🤣
    2. You can update those zones in Final Surge manually. Here's how: Final Surge: How to Update Your Integrated Training Zones
    3. I see what you mean in the 3 x 5s; but you'll get there. It's a challenge to get those done right the first time, and honestly having a new threshold power doesn't make it any easier. I think you are up for the task, we just have to make sure to listen to your body in case you need more rest.
    4. Speaking of listening to your body, we have to be really careful on those weekends sessions. As you noted, extreme dehydration cannot only affect that individual ride, they can also affect future workouts as well. I'm glad you identified the issue, because you can work that very same day to replace those fluids as soon as possible. Then we get strategically smarter about how we handle things going forward. If you haven't checked it out, you may want to explore the preload fluid options from Skratch. These are hyper hydration packets; are use them in my heart races in the past. They affectively help you stock up on fluids before the race. I would only use these for your longer training sessions and not for day-to-day workouts. But they have proven helpful to me.

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options

During this second week in the [Specificity] Bike Focus Plan, All Abilities (6wks), here are the high points:

• Took the Monday run off to rest the legs. That seemed to work better for me as the week progressed.
    • The 30" intervals I seem to be able to easily blow by the 150% target. But again I struggled with the longer intervals at 4', 5' and 6' this week. When I analyzed the week 2 results against week 1, they were about the same. However, maybe I could rationalize week 2 as better since I had a hard tempo run at the track the day before (did the 2 x 2-mile) and the Thursday legs were tired.
    • Feel really good about the weekend workouts. I picked up the Scratch Labs hyper hydration packets off Amazon and used them both Saturday and Sunday.
    • Saturday I pulled the TT bike off the Kickr for the first time outside in ages. Also the first time riding with anyone outside this year (I've been riding my road bike alone outdoors). Both of these changes had me a uneasy about the ride going in (a 44 mile ride from my house in the pancake flat Mississippi delta land that begins about 3 miles east from my home). I did the 8 x 30" CNC workout in the midst of a line doing a modest pull (20-22 mph). Only 1200 feet of ascent and 90% of that was in the last 3 miles from the freeway to my home. In the end felt good. More TSS than the previous Saturday.
    • Sunday I again did the hyper as the first bottle and then ended up with almost 5 more 20-24oz bottles of a standard mix of SIS Go (my favorite and heavier in electrolytes than Gatorade Endurance), for a total of 6 bottles (4 on the bike and 2 on the run). 1.5 hrs in an ABP on the bike and then a 60' run in TRP (Stryd). After the run I had gained 0.7 lbs -- a far cry from the loss of 4 lbs the week before. Needless to say I felt great on the run and after the run. Of note, however, was that the temperature and dew point were down from the previous Sunday (that won't last). Overall I'm very pleased. More TSS than the previous Sunday, too.
    • Sunday was to have been IM CT 70.3. Sigh. Sorry to see my CT trip to visit my daughter and her family cancelled. Going forward its 3 months till IM Traverse City 70.3. Will it happen...I'm managing my attitude and training like it will. I can manage my attitude, but can't manage Covid or the Michigan governor and her lockdown.

Hope that you had a great time on the Ultra.

Pat

• Options

@PatKoss - thanks for the weekly update. Way to go with those rapid changes to the nutrition. Even with the Delta in weather, I'm hopeful that we've got a preventative hydration system in place that will enable you to do better workouts despite the effects of temperature and humidity.

I'll take solid bike performances wherever we can get them. Those longer bike intervals are definitely challenging, don't worry so much about hitting the specific target as making sure each one is as consistent as possible. For example, if you can only hit 110% in the five minute interval instead of whatever was written, then push that and try and beat that every single time. Find your line in the sand and let's work on pushing that upwards (hope that makes sense).

Are building some fantastic fitness right now, so the key is to continue pushing those midweek sessions and enjoy the time outside. I think you'll become more comfortable the outdoor riding in the coming weeks and we should expect to see some good numbers there as well. Just remember to be safe in those groups!

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick , thx for the feedback.

One quick note, my next race is IM 70.3 Traverse City, Michigan. I saw that two days ago the Michigan Governor's office moved a major portion of the state to stage 4 in the Covid restart framework. Also, Traverse City area they notified the property owners that they could begin to book renters.

That said, I think this was a key race for EN. Lots for Ironman Corp. to do to have a successful race (I imagine the biggest thing would be volunteers), but the Michigan state government releasing most of the state to move back to normal (with the usual restrictions of course) is a big step in the right direction.

Just an FYI.

Just under 90 days till race day.

• Options

@Coach Patrick , just a quick note. After a big bike weekend here at my son's in TN I began to exhibit flu-like symptoms yesterday (chest cough, low fever, chills, aches and headache). Going to get tested for Covid-19 this morning. That will take a few days so until then I'm isolated in their guest room. Putting workouts on hold till I figure this out.

pat

• Options

@PatKoss - I have seen your note in group me, and assume I'm correct in reading that it is a positive test. Obviously recovery is key right now, and we can focus next on re-entry.

What you can do now is a function of how you are doing, so please let me know. For example you could do some flexibility / self-care work....or core strength...or perhaps some good reading might be right up your alley.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options

@Coach Patrick thanks for the follow-up. Yes you read correctly.

I did my weekend rides (week 3 of the 6 week bike focus plan) in TN south of Nashville from my son's home. The Sunday 120 miler/8 hours (my version) was 70 miles and about 4.5 hours to/from my son's home in the country southwest of Franklin up to the Natchez Trace. That was about 15 miles total on the Trace...I'll be back. Was wiped out during the last 40 miles and thought it was just the heat and nutrition. Caught myself snoring when off the bike I laid out in the pool on a raft to cool off.

The symptoms did not begin until Monday afternoon. We drove home to Little Rock yesterday and I'm staying in the bedroom. Virginia was tested yesterday before we left TN but her results will not be available for 4 days. As communicable as Covid-19 is I can't believe she is not infected.

Symptoms for me are mild flu-like (chills, low fever, aches, cough). I might get on Zwift to do easy spins and see how my body reacts, but like you say, now is about getting well. I would guess that unless I take a bad turn in shaking the virus, that I would be back in a 10 days-2 weeks, but that is only a guess.

I'm not giving up...just a detour on the podium goal trail.

If I an do anything for the team...time I've got.

Pat

• Options

@PatKoss - good to see you putting some time in on the bike the other day. I hope that's a positive sign that you were on the mend from Covid. Even though you had a mild case, do you want to be really cautious about how you return to training. It's really important that you pay close attention to how your body is responding.

Right now I would follow the rhythm of the plan (bike vs run) and not worry at all about intensity. In this first full week I'd expect at least two days off...If not three. Basically if you have more WKO days than REST days I am happy! 👍

Standing by...

~ Coach P

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 3
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 2
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: The plan is the 6 week bike specificity plan. The focus right now is to get back on a training cycle soon as the COVID infection is dissipating.

Extra help request: Keep after me

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for the note. You and I area thinking alike. I was thinking only as an additional move of bumping back to last week (week 4 of 6) instead of week 5, to get as much of the full 6 week plan before re-entering the HIM build to Traverse City.

As a side note, the only symptom issue with me that remains is a slight cough. All other symptoms have been gone for 3 days or more. Also Virginia received her test yesterday...negative. Can't imagine how since we are very close. So that means we live together. I have another week before I can get cleared with a clear test. But then she would have another two weeks (possibly) of quarantine. So at this point we are cooped up for 3 weeks. I just moved the trainer to the back porch to get some fresh air and a new venue.

I'll keep you posted on progress.

• Options

Writing this on Sunday while its fresh in my mind.

As far as Covid-19, I've been symptom free for a week now (fever, chills, aches, headache), but still feel like my lungs are clearing. Both Virginia and I went for our 2nd test on Friday (results have not yet appeared, but that is normal). Other than being at the tail end of quarantine (hopefully), I feel very good.

As far as workouts, you will see in Final Surge that I bagged all the swims (quarantine) and was keeping Monday and Friday completely open for rest. The other workouts I backed off some but kept the structure, if not the targets. Saturday/Sunday were my longest workouts and what I noticed was that after about 2 hours I lost energy (or motivation, not sure which). On today's run (after a 90 minute easy ABP ride on the road bike around the city), I started well keeping to the wattage target. But in the last mile of the run, which is uphill and steep at some points, I progressively slowed down. My heart rate was falling and I had nothing to get it going again (decoupled), so I bagged the run when passing my home at the halfway point of the 1 hour run.

Both Saturday and Sunday were similar in that with 2 hours in I lost energy. Virginia remembered hearing somewhere of another Covid patient saying that they tired out. Maybe its that simple. Not worried.

With your input on reply, my thoughts for this week were to continue to push the envelope on intensity and duration, observing my energy levels. Also, if quarantine lifts I'll see if the pool will let me back in.

Also looking to Lubbock this week to see how that 70.3 goes. No doubt a test run for Ironman with their new race procedures.

Hope all is well with you.

pat

• Options

@PatKoss - I got to tell you that I like that outdoor set up of yours! That's the Way to go, and hopefully it works for you moving forward. So glad to hear that she is healthy, fingers crossed for A positive (which I mean negative Result) outcomes from the test. You know what I mean.

I have similarly heard that type of fatigue situation, so nothing to get worried about. It is worth noting that the temperatures have changed in the last two weeks so he could be a factor. Which then brings us to nutrition as well. It's quite possible you need to up your fluid and fuel game to compensate for that lost energy.

In other words, you might need to eat or drink a little more frequently versus "normal" you. We have time for your body to come around, for right now I still don't want you to push anything just keep stressing your system with consistency And steady work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick My test from Friday June 19th came back positive, so that explains the weak performance. My marker symptom (they only one left) is a nagging, but not terribly bad cough. Something is still brewing in my lungs.

Virginia's test was negative, as was my TN based family. Go figure. So although I'm still quarantined I must not be that contagious.

Anyway with the quarantine I probably shouldn't be venturing out on any epic 120 mile 8 hour rides! :) I'll keep to the current schedule. Next week is test week but I'll just coast through that...not much point to setting a benchmark until I'm very well.

Oh, and the setup... I put up a 55" Samsung just before I got sick. No intention of using it for cycling, but that made sense as the Covid progressed. We do a lot out there when its not hot/humid...eat meals, watch TV, and now ride on Zwift.

pat

• Options

OK, later in the day I've corroborated what the F is going on with regard to Covid-19 and my negative test. Spoke with a doctor of Infectious Diseases at University of Arkansas Medical Science and indirectly to one other ID department head.

I'll test positive for months. The test will trigger based on the RNA in my blood and that is left over from the virus. So another positive test is not an indicator of much new news. And a negative test will not happen for me for months.

As for the cough, its concerning, but NOT and indicator of being infectious.

So I'm a risk to nobody at this point. Like I said earlier, it seems my comeback will take some time. BUT I'm not a risk to ANYONE (they might have a different POV, but i have the CDC and State of AR health department positions on my side).

So no reason not to run outside in the neighborhood, or at the track with others, or whereever.

No reason not to go to the pool (lets see what they say).

No reason not to ride outdoors.

Like I said, its been a day.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Traverse City just cancelled. Taking a breath. Memphis is up next and based on a business news article I just saw this morning, it is still on.

We can talk next week.

Looking forward (not heading for the bourbon yet)

• Options

So I've avoided this post for a week or more. Thought about waiting even longer. I've been enthusiastic for my get on the podium goal for a long time and been at it since November outseason. But the last cancellation of Michigan took some of the wind out of my sails. Next race up is October 3rd in Memphis and then October 17th in Waco. Given the current surges here in the south I honestly don't know what to expect. Plus its the hot/humid season here so training for an October race means a lot of drain on the body (kryptonite).

But I've got investments in Memphis and Waco, not to mention something now to fill in for Michigan. Plus I only turn 65 once (and I'm not getting any younger). So on those notes it would be really stupid to coast into Memphis and/or Waco, have either/both occur and then just fake a 70.3. Sure I could do that, but whats the purpose.

The only physical issue I'm dealing with is a nagging right knee running. It loosens up after the first mile and is not getting any worse so I'm ignoring it for now.

So I think now or soon is time to get back on the horse. You had me in the 6 week bike focus and then finishing out the 70.3 build to race date. Should I just back that assembly of plans up to October 3rd, and give it another go?

The sedentary hobbies (ham radio and high end audio gear w/great music) are calling. As is the bourbon.

Hope that you are well.

• Options

@PatKoss - I hear you. This year really really sucks... And the more you have invested, the more that it sucks. You've done a great deal of work and I've been saving off injury and illness to keep going. You have created workarounds and continue to push your limits despite the pandemic. And now all the races are gone.

I agree, we need to find a balance between throwing in the towel and being 100% confident. Do you throw in the towel too soon, we will lose so much of what you've gained with a very large block of time until the 2021 season. If we push as though there's a risk, we run the risk of pushing you into the ground. Either physically or mentally.

Here's what I suggest we do. I vote we dial you back for about three weeks later activity allowing you need to heal and creating an opportunity for you to enter the final breath block every season with rest. I currently have 13 weeks until the race. I think you can get away with about 10, which would mean an alternate block of training for three weeks before we re-enter the race plan. Yes, we would effectively be back in the workouts up to target early October, but you will be approaching it with a little more rest in your system.

By resting, I mean that you are running on alternate days with one hard bike session a week and the rest fairly aerobic. Swimming if it's open or otherwise core strength and flexibility. Ideally this would free up 4 to 6 hours a week for you to do some of your hobbies stuff as a "mini vacation" before we return to the season. How does that sound?

~ Coach P

• Options

Sorry for the late reply. Sounds like a plan. I'll need to pick up the pace a little with the "rest"...probably been a little too restful. I'll back up 10 weeks from October 3rd and lay in the back end of the 70.3 build plan (unless you have another direction). I think I can get my motivation/mood going again...I'm usually pretty good about that. And hopefully Memphis and Waco will call it early like Traverse City did, if racing does not appear to be likely.

Fixing a 10+ year old Quarq power meter now on my road bike. Funny how we get so attached to riding by the power numbers, that when they are gone we have little sense of intensity.

• Options

Loaded the 70.3 bike focused 12 week build. That gives me structure to my days, which helps me. I will be taking it easy, as discussed, until 10 weeks out.

• Options

@Pat Koss That's perfect!!! How are you feeling right now in terms of your comeback?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick , from a personal COVID point-of-view, that's a non-issue. I'm beyond that in every way from what I can tell.

From a mental point-of-view, I'm less positive given the escalating COVID numbers in both Tennessee and Texas. But I can't do anything to influence that (maybe an email to the race director to ask them to call it 45-60 days out if they are anything less than 90% sure they are a go...don't repeat Lubbock please).

From a fitness point-of-view, I definitely have lost some since my Covid diagnosis in early June. Its the normal exceptionally hot/humid down here (lost about 60 oz of sweat by weight on my 4 mile run today), so running will be hard to train hard, but that's normal down here. You just do the best you can. Bike will be ok, albeit a little less than late May. I did get back in the pool yesterday for 1,000. Will take it easy for a week then integrate more of the workouts.

• Options

@Pat Koss actions follow words. Love to see what you're putting down. That last weekend is a key example, tying in the quality ride on Saturdays sweat test with the second ride on Sunday. A few weekends like that and you'll be back in no time!

• Options

Thx! Last weekend was just fun time on the road bike (the 10-year old power meter died).

Let it all slide for the last few days. Hosted one of our grandchildren (7-yr-old) in the RV for a few nights at a state park in northwest Arkansas. Tore down camp, drove and put it all away today (Friday). Wiped. Travel day with a 30' fifth wheel is fun but a lot of work.

Pat