Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Pat Koss Official Coach Thread

124»

Comments

• Options

OK, back in town. Saturday and Sunday rides from week 2 of the 70.3 build done. Both felt good. The ABP was dog motivated at one point (can't remember a dog at that point of this route before...).

Bagged the Saturday run. Left it till after and had a funny hamstring cramp as I was lacing up my running shoes (never appeared on the Saturday ride). Never had one like that. Anyway it didn't come back Sunday for the ABP. Going to focus on all the runs from here for a while to remind the legs.

Let's call this the final build to the Memphis 70.3 on October 3rd. Looked up the Shelby County, TN Covid numbers (Memphis). Whew! But until they call it only look forward!!

• Options

First full week back and its as I might expect after a few weeks mostly off.

Bike: Long VO2's are still my nemesis at the current FTP. Anyway, its test week and that is a good thing. Other than that, the Challenge Week ride was a ball, spending some time with friends (David Wonn, Heather Helms and David Helms). Wonn met me at 6am and turned around before mile 20, after we had picked up H/D. They spent 30 with me before going on to their long ride. Overall that segment was a little stronger (chasing strong 30-year-olds). But I think I kept most of the rest within targets, stopping as needed for fluids and a restroom. Fun 72 mile ride from the house, then cut the lawn.

The run was just about putting miles on the legs. Monday/Tuesday I pushed some, but on long-run Thursday I just did a 9 mile out-and-back. The heat here drains me on the run (sweat), and I was pouring so much fluid in me on that long run that my stomach was sloshing at points. Not to mention that I love long runs so I would rather keep it together. The wheels came off in the last couple of miles but I finished as strong as I had in the tank.

Swims were better than expected, doing sprints Tuesday and a negative ladder on Friday (both were fun).

We are driving to my son's in TN this Thursday, so I'll need to do the long run early, probably before sunrise, and that could be a good thing to beat some heat. The TN location will put me within 15 miles of the Natchez Trace so I'll probably try to incorporate that with my weekend bike work.

Also, this week puts us about 60 days out from Memphis (Oct 3). Not sure Ironman's go/nogo decision protocol, but I would expect to see a cancellation soon if its not likely for the race to occur. But the Covid numbers here in Arkansas are beginning to flatten, and if TN is similar, then even though Shelby County (Memphis) is a real hot spot, if the numbers are on a downward trend, and they have state/local government support, then it might just happen. Training as if it is going to happen until I hear otherwise.

• Options

@PatKoss - hey, that's some really solid work that you were putting in! Very impressed. The only thing that jumps out to me is your stomach slashing. I want to make sure that you are taking in enough salt with your fluids to help with digestion. I know it's just a game trying to keep up with the heat.

That said, the better you get at it the better each training session will be. What is your sports drink of choice? Do you ever supplement with additional sodium such as Gatorlytes?

~ Coach P

• Options

I use SIS for electrolytes. Before that run I pre-loaded with 48oz, so that was likely the slosh (usually I only pre-load 24oz). The route was a 4.5 mile out-and-back so I could fill my handheld 16oz bottle.

I mix the SIS per instructions. I think the electrolyte numbers are similar to G'ade Endurance. You also hooked me up with the Skratch hyper (whatever) bag-o-potato-chips salt fest, and that works, but I did not do so before the Thursday run.

The nightly temps here are dipping into the 60's with lower dew points for the next few days. That never happens...tis the season of 100's, but I'll take it. Will get out early tomorrow on the back porch for the bike test, before any heat of the day.

• Options

FTP test 230 down from 248 a long time ago. Pleased. Kept a constant effort on the pedals -- no surges, no stopping. That was my focus, to keep the pedals moving in the 90's through the entire effort.

I can work with that.

Run test tomorrow at the track before dawn.

• Options

Nice work!! Just a thought, preloading with 48 ounces of fluid before a run is crazy. You may want to space it out a little bit over the course of two or three hours if that's how much fluid you need to get into your body. Otherwise, you've got it will just be unhappy.

Nice work on that bike test and let me know about that run!

~ Coach P

• Options

48oz preload? Uh, yeah. In the category of either "not to be repeated" or "what where you thinking". I can handle a 24oz rapid preload no problem. But starting earlier is wise, allowing it to get in my system.

66 degrees with low dew point at 5am -- never happens in August in Arkansas. Perfect run conditions! The run test was like a lot of others...I DON'T KNOW HOW I DO IT BUT I GO BRAIN DEAD AND MISS COUNT A LAP! I ran 4,600 yards. Anyway I felt good and know I could have done another lap at my slowest pace, so ended up somewhere between an 8:31 to 8:33 adjusted for a full mile. Also, and probably more importantly the critical power number from Stryd went right back in the mid-250's where I had it earlier this year when I run trained for 30 days before running the Little Rock Marathon. My lap pacing was not bad either, and spending more time at the track would get that honed it, but in the real world of hills, pacing is less of a useful skill (I think).

So in all, Swim test was not as bad as I expected. Bike was a little worse than I expected. And run was better than I expected. I can work with all three numbers.

Hope you survived the storm. My daughter in Easton, CT is without power as is most of her county.

• Options

Memphis just cancelled to 2021. For me that only leaves Waco on Oct 17. It seems that Ironman is doing about a 60 day lead on go/nogo decisions. But I am expecting it to go as well.

Reevaluating now what I want to do. Definitely won't bring the TT bike to TN for our weekend trip to my son's. Maybe mountain bikes and ride with the grandsons.

• Options

@PatKoss your return to prior fitness levels is legit. Not sure many others in your AG are able to rebound like that. Almost more impressive than your 8:30 mile splits! Speaking of which maybe your next test has a lap counter like one of those women in the boxing ring with the giant signs. 🤣

I agree road or MTB bike to TN. Work hard during the week, have fun on the weekends. It seems to be a more sustainable approach than pretending race mode is going to work. Let me know how I can help!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thx for the compliment. I can do better on the bike.

Looking forward. Going to go through the motions until we pass what seems to be the 45-60 day go/nogo decision point for Ironman from Waco, but I don't hold out much hope that the race will happen. Still, if it did, in any form, then I would feel really stupid not being prepared.

From our discussion on the Zoom Monday, Tulsa does interest me. But a full scares me and Virginia more than me, after my hospital experiences a few years ago -- that's why the focus on 70.3. Having a team race in Tulsa would help. Ironman owes me 3 70.3's and I'm going to ask if they would consider a 2 for 1 trade for a Tulsa ticket. Won't pull the trigger yet, just considering options. I think if I did, any full would be deliberately slow so that I finish...that would be huge for me mentally.

Oh, and mountain bikes all weekend with my son and grandsons. Funny, they wipe out at an hour and I'm like...ok, if we must stop. LOL

Hotter than (insert your metaphor) here in AR. Not Austin, TX hot with 100's, but high 90's every day with high dew points. 80 degrees at 5am. Not best for the run and cycling must be done early too.

• Options

I think the best path forward for you as one that you’re comfortable with. It would be a huge win for you to just put a finish in that box. If only to regain confidence.

It seems funny to me on the outside that you have concerns considering how fit you are. But I know that experience blazers a physical and mental path in our minds that’s hard to disrupt.

as you know, whatever path you choose we are here to work with you. I see that you continue working your bike strength and sustaining your balanced approach until we get a clear picture of the race. 👍

• Options

Thanks for the candid feedback. The only way I know to regain confidence is to take one workout at a time and nail it. Yesterday got into a dispute with the wife and from that blew off my bike. Today, up at 3:30 to hit the track with friends at 5. Nailed it (cruise intervals on a power target of 254). Now to make it two in a row.

I reached out to Ironman customer service but came away dissatisfied regarding a trade with them of my 2020 race money for a Tulsa ticket. All the customer service rep would point me to is the withdrawal policy for Ironman Waco. I'm confident that I did not get above their level to a person who would understand the trade I was proposing (I did ask them to escalate).

So for now I'm 70.3 focused. Three to burn.

As for Waco, its still on. I'm hearing on FB that another tri in San Antonio is going forward in two weeks. And college football is in the Waco area on race weekend. So some things are progressing to execution that same weekend, so we shall see if they can pull off the Waco 70.3.

• Options

The last week started rough through Tuesday. Just time and wife issues. But from Tuesday on I hit the workouts.

As of today (Sunday) Waco is still on. Reading the Facebook page there are other events also schceduled (another race and a college football game), so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This week I have a blood plasma donation on Monday. I think that will have a downstream effect on workouts, but we shall see how much (this is my first time - apparently COVID makes me wanted). I'll try to get them done, even if off from the workout goals. Also on Wednesday we plan to pull the fifth-wheel out south of our highest mountain here in Arkansas. I've already alerted a few friends (incl. Heather Helms and her husband David), so I think the workouts toward the end of the week could be climbing focused on the road bike.

All of this is contingent on how the hurricane tracks. Currently it is supposed to be out of the area by Wednesday.

Have a great week Patrick.

• Options

@PatKoss - Thank you for the updates. Sounds like you have had as much success with Iron Man is most other people. By this point in the game, I think they are professionals at denying any action that might remotely positively benefit you. It's unfortunate, but it is where we are at.

Sorry to hear about the friction at home, I hope the workouts are giving you a good place to sort your head out. They always seem to help me. As of right now, I think Waco has a pretty good chance of happening. A lot of it depends on how things shake out here in September with the return to school. Each community is going to respond differently, which makes it hard to predict.

The pace of your training guarantees that you will be ready to go! I will keep those fingers crossed. 🤞

• Options

@Coach Patrick thanks for the update.

If Waco happens, I will be ready.

• Options

@PatKoss you are more than ready...you are going to crush it! 💪

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick , thanks for the previous comment. I feel good overall and finishing is not a problem.

Now lets work on maximizing performance to have a chance at the podium (first year in 65-year-old AG).

Last week I checked off all the important boxes. Saturday bit me on the bike with some heat stroke (couldn't drink enough fluid/electrolytes to stay ahead of my sweat rate - lost over 4 lbs and that never happens on the bike - and the sun became scorching by around 9am), and was not fully recovered on Sunday for the long run so I took it VERY easy. But got 50 in on Saturday with a good/basic brick run before the bike, and 8+ miles very easy on Sunday.

The humidity has been brutal here, especially after Hurricane Laura passed right over us late last week (first ever Tropical Storm force storm that made it this far north).

Taking Monday off, but already see that you have this as a bump in run volume this week. My plan is to add a couple of miles each day.

Send some of that cooler/dryer weather our way. This is the hardest time of year for me to train.

Have a great day.

pat

• Options

@PatKoss #sofocused! I love it...it's not so much pass/fail on he's training sessions as it is "endure" ...this is the difference maker. The sessions are less about excellence in a micro-cosm, it's about doing the work that makes you excellent. Wash, Rinse, Repeat!!!

~ Patrick

ps let's be careful of that hydration!! 👍

• Options

@Coach Patrick was finishing 11 miles about the time you wrote this. Wore my trail vest and drank 2 liters of SIS mix, and still lost 4.6 lbs. But it didn't matter so much since the weather became much cooler and less humid in the past 24 hours. Felt great and was fun. Ended up calling it LSD to Bill on Strava (the William Clinton Presidential Library is at the far end loop on the run).

Funny you should mention being careful of hydration.

BTW, I figured out what happened a week ago with my run/bike. Repeat yesterday in cooler weather was very good.

• Options

@PatKoss nicely done bro beans! if any of your races has a chugging challenge...you'll likely place in that too!!! LOL.

Hoping this third time is your charm!

~ Coach P