Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Hoff's Holiday Weight loss/Accountability Challenge - 2018

edited November 13, 2018 3:48PM in Community Forum 🏠

Tracking sheet LINKY

Put down that Halloween Candy and get on the scale, that's right, fall has crept up on you, less daylight, no A race in sight, and it's getting tougher to see your mangled toes over that growing mid-section - the Holiday weight loss/ accountability challenge is here to the rescue!  

Unlike last year, to try and get more people interested here, the focus is not only on massive unhealthy weight loss in 6.5 weeks. I'd like to stress the accountability and the idea of using the challenge to stay even and not gain weight during the holiday season. 

the rules are as follows

Initial weigh in is Nov 5 & 6

post your weigh in, ideally with a pic, of self or scale

choose your target weight that you will weigh when the contest ends in 7ish weeks (DEC 20th).

The goal here is to encourage you to either maintain, or hit a reasonable goal weight through the holiday season and enter, or continue, the OS lean & mean!

The rules as per last year’s challenge:

1-Declare your current weight (ideally with a posted pic)

2-State your goal weight (Goal Date is 7ish weeks away - Dec 20)

3-everyone reports weight weekly to this forum thread (Monday morning weight ins), we are on the honor system, but in any given week, the admin(me) can ask for a photo of scale (with toes(mangled or not) on it!)

4-Admin will make a shared google sheet with target weights by week and post a link here.

5-If in any week you are more than 2lbs ABOVE ANY intermediate weigh-in, you must take a non-flexing, picture that shows your face and your fat gut holding a sign that says "I am a fatty fat guy" (or "I'm a fatty fat girl"). This picture must also be posted to the Dashboard on EN as well as the EN body comp Group Me

6-If you miss the final weigh-in goal weight, then you have your choice of the following 2 "Insults"

6-A-Do a Whitecastle (or similar) slider 6-pack 1.5 mile run on a track. Eat a slider then run a lap (6x). All on video, to be uploaded to youtube making sure you tell everyone why you are doing the punishment. 

Note: if there is no "White Castle" near you, you can substitute with Jack in the box jr hamburgers, or as a last resort, McDonalds Cheeseburgers

6-B-Run a sanctioned "official" race (with a minimum of 100 competitors) at a minimum 5k distance (but could be longer or a triathlon) All on video, to be uploaded to youtube making sure you tell everyone why you are doing the punishment in the following required attire: 

Men: wearing nothing but a pink speedo (or mankini), socks and shoes (and race number belt if necessary) - NO SHIRT. 

Women: wearing nothing but an American Flag String Bikini, Red Fishnet Thigh Highs (ankle socks if you want) and shoes (and race number belt if necessary) - NO COVERUPS of any kind

7-if anyone has any ideas of a different punishment for the weekly or final challenge, I'd love to hear about it and see if we can broaden the scope.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

I’m in. This sounds like fun and I need to get rid of some extra lbs. Three comments:

1. Let me tell you an extremely funny story (at least I think it’s pretty good): finishing IMLOU last month I crossed the finish line and when the volunteer helped me she took my finisher shirt tag that read “Men’s Large”, then looked at me and said “Honey, you look more like an extra large to me” and she gave me an extra large. I thought it was really funny and sadly accurate so let the games begin.
    2. Punishment 6A looks extremely appealing. On any given day I would accept that challenge but I would add a beer
    3. Punishment 6B: Nothing is more aero than a mankini, I wonder if Castelli can make EN issued mankinis for IMTX

• Options

IN IN & IN

• Options

rumor has it that @John Withrow has increased in volume tremendously since IMWI and will be joining the party he created 😁

• Options

Even though @tim cronk always chastises me for it... And I thought "this year would be different"... This year was NOT different...

The low I hit before IMWIS was 178.5, but my actual race weight was probably closer to ~181lbs... Just 7 weeks after the race I tipped the scales at a whopping 198.5! Ouch.

To blame is: Beer, donuts, candy, pancakes, more beer, more candy, pizza, Scotch, cheesburgers, more donuts, and more beer... The tri-fecta of Gluten, Alcohol, and Recreational Sugar... Oh yeah and my stupid "All or Nothing" brain and my fat kid genes!

• Options

Hey I'm not even in this thing and I'm being quoted. @John Withrow I think your getting me confused with @Jeremy Behler . Hey at least you kept it under 200 and thats not an unreasonable amount for your size at least relative to what kinda damage I do in the same time frame. I'm not one to talk as I spent the entire last year above race weight. And no I'm not playing in this challenge but I sure do like to watch every years as its the same thing, starve myself to death , then overeat, then repeat!

• Options

@John Withrow - does that mean you are in or out?

where is @Steve boer for this?

• Options

I’ll check in tomorrow. I’m busy eating half a cheesecake from decicco right now....

• Options

Here is my Monday weigh in... and I think the first of the challenge. This is a screen shot taken off the app that links to my digital scale. Further proof provided upon request!! Translation below for my non metric friends

88.7 kg = 195.55 lbs

20.4 % BF

38.4 kg = 84.66 lbs muscle mass

GOAL = 85.52 = 188.55 lbs

Let the GAMES BEGIN!!!

• Options

@Jorge Duque NO. Just NO to the EN mankini for Texas. You are a very handsome man, but no one can un see that sh*t!!! 😂

• Options

I am going to enjoy observing this from a Sociological Perspective. I read an interesting article on how men and women differ in their approach to losing weight. Men tend to embrace low carbohydrate and women go more for a low fat approach.

@scott dinhofer why not give health validity to the Challenge and have blood markers done before and after. It would put a health slant on this which can't be ignored.

If going to your doctor is hard use Inside Tracker for some basic labs. Website: www.insidetracker.com Discount: 20% to TeamEN Members Code: ENDURANCENATION

@Mariah Bridges can help out on Inside Tracker.

• Options

In. This gluttony and craziness must stop! I'm literally just going to try to use this as a platform to simply get back to where I was 3 days ago and then stay there until the New Year.

• Options

@"Sheila Leard" - while this is a great idea, and people should do that for their own health, it's just not practical since today and tomorrow are weigh in days!!!!

@Steve boer

Jill & I stopped at a place called "caked up" in New City yesterday with her kids, they had Carrot Crumb Cake - it was quite the reward for our epic trail run!! weighing in tomorrow am! (oh, and I had a shiva call last night, did someone say beezcakes donuts?😜

• Options

At this starting point, it should be easy to loose some lbs. The goal is to be as close as possible to 200 lbs for IMTX. Otherwise @Trish Marshall will have to buy me a beer in my mankini.

• Options

I'm with @John Withrow - just add in ice cream and chocolate.

I started the year at 170 and have ballooned to a scale high of 189.9 last Thursday. Disgusted with myself, I started this challenge the moment I saw it on Friday.

Today's weigh in is 187.5 Goal is 177, or 10.5 lbs.

It's going to be extra challenging as I cannot use running as a tool to burn calories. PF continues to sideline any running. I will need a bike insult to properly motivate failure: VO2 sets with the consumption of a slider during the rest periods?

• Options

Calling @Steve boer ! Please link to your bike/slider video for @Phil Mills benefit!

• Options

@Steve boer & @John Withrow is that the one involving an aero helmet while on a trainer? If so, that is where I got the idea from.

• Options

As much as I said I wouldn't, I reverted to the gain 20+ lbs late summer/early fall plan. 205.9 this morning; shooting for 195 by the end of the challenge. This is my cough.cough...third run at the weight loss program. Also quit smoking last week after almost 30 years, so that isn't helping...plus some Army exercises in Japan...okay, no more excuses!

• Options
    edited November 6, 2018 3:07AM

While I was originally in for this, i've decided to abstain. With a week long vacation on the horizon starting Saturday, just not practical. I've actually been very steady in my weight this year - I've got a few easy wins that should hopefully kickstart me, and I plan on starting once i'm back from vacation. That being said, I will still enjoy the spectacle from the sidelines ;)

• Options

@Mark Hickman

Dude- I would say if you gained 5 lbs but didn't touch a cigarette from now to the end of the year... HUGE WIN.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Options

@Steve boer give me your current post vacation weight & target weight when you return and you're in.. I was saying on our run Sunday, that if you focused on weight, you'd be crushing me.. .the only thing that got me up that mountain faster was sheer will.

@John Withrow - here's my slider run video from a few years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1eybd24Koc

• Options

Geezus... got on the scale for the first time in 2 weeks and despite some good discipline, so i thought... i went from 159 - 163.2 in the last 2 weeks... blame it on halloween.. willing to bet there is 2lbs of water weight that makes week one an easy grab if it's the case since I had dinner out for mom's bday last night..

my goal weight for the challenge is 153.

chart coming later this week...

• Options

I'm in too. No racing this year has me the heaviest in quite a while.

Looking to be under 200# at the end of the challenge, usually race 185-190.

• Options

@Patrick Large Thank you sir, and I agree. I've actually told myself I would continue to smoke in the past so I would put on the weight...oh how the mind works. I'm going to get it all done though! Ran today...extra tire around the middle made it a bit personally disappointing. Why oh why do we do this to ourselves?

I think I need to go ahead and sign up for those 3 70.3s in 2019.

• Options

@Jorge Duque , your Seahawks beat my Lions, so I will make good on the beer. But I may never recover if there is a mankini involved. FYI...there will be LOTS of documentation if that goes down. LOTS. ;)

• Options

I'm in with the following I am traveling for the next two weeks in Europe and I know I will go up in weight for a number of reasons. I will commit to the punishment beginning in December. My weight this am was 187.6. Because of the trip, I am going modest - 182.5

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman - the great chefs of Europe undoubtedly know how to cook healthy, clean food... focus on being a vegan and staying away from wine.. challenge yourself to change your normal to a new normal.. How would @Brian Hagan eat if he were on your trip? think about that at EVERY meal...

• Options

@Jorge Duque @John Withrow - need your goal weights for your final weigh-in on dec 21

everyone else can view the progress on this sheet

if you are a participant please add your weigh-in numbers each Monday in the next spot on your column, please do NOT edit anything else!

• Options

@scott dinhofer Let's go for 9 lbs to loose from now until Dec 21. That should put me at 215 (already updated the spreadsheet).

• Options

@scott dinhofer , I am a little late to the party. Can I jump in or is it too late? I can post my information this weekend.