Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2019 IM Arizona Kick Off Thread

Comments

• Options

And this is why this TEAM is amazing.... am sick as a dog right now....was feeling depressed and empty... read this and I am pumped!!!! I'll be there... Goal is less than 10h so I will shadow Tim and Satish as long as I can . Can't wait to see u all...

• Options
    Get well soon!!!!

I’ll be happy to race along side you....as long as you are less talkative than last time :-)

Satish

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 22, 2019, at 2:08 PM, DAVID RICHMOND wrote:

DAVID RICHMOND commented on 2019 IM Arizona Kick Off Thread
    And this is why this TEAM is amazing.... am sick as a dog right now....was feeling depressed and empty... read this and I am pumped!!!! I'll be there... Goal is less than 10h so I will shadow Tim and Satish as long as I can . Can't wait to see u all...
  • Options

New Rules: Only our top five finishers count to the team title, so we've got to get 5 folks on or close to their AG podium, rather than just show up with overwhelming numbers. Let's see: @Tim Cronk, @Robin Sarner, @Satish Punna, @ David Richmond, and @Al Truscott are certainly in the cross hairs for representing. Anyone else want to lay down a personal gauntlet?

• Options

Sounds great all.

am inspired to keep up with you all.

though if a group of us end up together on the run I am not providing a wind break the whole way. :)

no reason for me not to do under 10 hours. Did it for a harder texas course though was younger.

extra incentive to keep consistent with training.

at the tucson property this last week. Couple mtn bike rides. Couple longish dirt runs.

will be increasing bike volume a bit this next month in prep for Mallorca.

my outseason bike work to continues to be zwift racing.

• Options

Thanks @Al Truscott . Probably doesn’t matter because of the caliber of this team.

• Options

@Al Truscott

I will lay down a goal. I am fat and have a CTL of 10 today. My goal is to go sub 10:00.

• Options

Im not a 10 hour guy but for me my goal depending on the day will be sub 11. And quicker transition times!

• Options

You all will win the Ironman!

Please save some beer for me at the finish!

• Options

@Brian Hagan life is too short to drink the crap they give out at the end. We will get real beer. Most likely a day or so before and definitely after.

• Options

@Peter Noyes so to get there, your process goals are to (A) become #NotFat and (B) have a CTL of 140 16 days before the race?

• Options

I was joking when I mentioned @Coach Patrick in the above comment, but I just noticed in his signature line that he has it listed. It really will be a Key Race. 😀

• Options

I'm IN...

Unless OUT due to finally giving into having my Achilles surgery....

Waz hoping <10hr    however.....   Sigh    Life

Too far out for predictions  IM SR first to deal with!

• Options

Thats about it, my CTL has never been as high as 140, hopefully I don't have to do that.

• Options

155 Days till #IMAZ Hope everyone's training and planning is going well! This 140.6 first timer has had some serious bumps in the training process but I'm still pushing forward and doing my best to stay focused!

• Options

@Matthew Goto life has been in the way of my training this time. Just getting back on the horse this week. I also have a two week backpacking trip that got inserted into my calendar next month. I'm going to need ALL the EN mojo I can get this time around so groupme will be key to accountability.

• Options

@Matthew Goto IMAZ is a great first Full IM!

It was my first and '19 will be 4th IMAZ for me.

Quick tip.... respect the slight climb on out bound. Expect about 2mph less at 10-20w above true flats. Train to hold steady 30-45 min at just above GRpwr x3.

And expect a cold swim ;)

I'm trying to build up my run from 0. IMSR was a sufferfest with only 7 runs in 4 months prior. Mixing in blood flow restriction strap walks etc and so far 90%+ treadmill ...so far pain is just niggling level. Did 6.2mls at MEF hr today.

Was doing well getting in swims...now not so much. Form is doing well bet need swim strength and endurance work. (IM wetsuit is not much faster than w/o) Vasa kicks my butt even short door1.

Have 2 week Army with no swim/bike.....will try a vol bump pre and then start "real IM" training post

• Options

Thank you @tim cronk for stepping up to be RC for this event. Please do not forget that you have your group me set up already that you can communicate in as well. Link to join https://groupme.com/join_group/37800401/0vldWX

• Options

OK IMAZ peeps. I volunteered to be RC, which means I will endeavor to engage, discuss, smack talk, inspire, be inspired, be accountable, and learn , all things IMAZ , through the virtual realms of EN forum and IMAZ GM. There is an amazing group for IMAZ this year with a wealth of IMAZ specific knowledge.

MY PLAN- Having just finished an Ultrarunning event, my focus for the next 4 weeks will be swim/bike. Loaded up the EN IM Bike focus plan. Will hack the plan to add as much swimming as possible and remove the longrun . I will then take a down week and travel to Tucson. Then for the last 5 weeks pre-taper I will fire up the traditional IM plan for a more balanced approach and the rebuild of the longrun.

Week 9 (12 Weeks Pre Race) = Welcome Post

Team! 

It is time to start race preparations! We are 12 weeks out from the race, and we have a little administrative work before we go nuts with the training.

You will only receive THREE forum posts/emails during your training...And this is the first one!!!

Use the GroupMe App to check in daily/weekly with your fellow athletes. From time to time we will post messages in the GroupMe to keep you on track. Remember to follow your Roadmap, Training Plan and all you and Coach have put together. 

So let’s dive into the Admin details! 

Admin:

• Bring Friends!
    • Get your friends to sign up an tell us during their Welcome Call and You’ll earn a free month! 

• Got Teammates? 
    • Nudge all current EN members that you know are racing to chime in.

GroupMe Admin: 

• Download the GroupMe App: iTunes Link   Google Play Store 
    • Find and Join Your Race Group Chat Online Here
    • Keep in mind times you are messaging - we recommend nothing before 6am and nothing after 10pm 
    • The Mute Button is your friend! You can either use “Office Hours” to mute it during the daytime only, or you can manually mute as you see fit. 
    • Jump in and out of the conversation when it is convenient for you! 

Training Admin: 

• Charge all your swim, bike and run electronics 
    • Tune up your bike 
    • Make sure all trainers, Zwifts etc are working and you’ve tested before. 
    • Order your Endurance Nation racing and training gear 
    • Watch all the videos - podcasts and blogs that are attached to each week of training on the website (They are located on the right side of the training page)
    • Check out our sponsors to see if there is anything you need! 
    • Nutrition - Make sure to review race and training fueling webinars NOW because you need to be practicing every single day from now on! 
    • Order the first batch of your nutrition so you can start off practicing with a bang.
    • Race Execution Pages and Checklists are here, make sure to review them

Feel free to ask your teammates questions and make some friends along the way. 

The more everyone participates the more everyone will crush this race the Endurance Nation way! 

• Options

Super excited to have @tim cronk as race captain.

How many are doing the "Challenge Ride" that is in the training plan for this Saturday (tomorrow)? My plan is to do 6 hours tomorrow and see how that feels. I am coming off of HIM training and have been doing most of my rides at about .85, but the most I've ridden lately is 3.5 hours. I am interested at seeing how 6 hours at an easier pace will feel.

• Options

@Brian Hagan This type of ride is one of my favorite things to do. Doesn't fit for me this week, but I have a 120 miler coming up in a couple weeks that I will use in place of this. I really look forward to these days. Have fun. Let us know how it goes.

• Options

@Brian Hagan I am not sure how long I can go. Can't do 6 hours outside tomorrow as it will be too hot. I know my ass can't sit on a fixed trainer that long. Trying to decide what I want to do.

• Options

thanks a lot @tim cronk .

did a long thing last weekend.

may go longish next weekend.

then a half ironman in two weeks. local.

things generally progressing well.

shoulder finally coming around. doing more on the vasa.

• Options
    edited September 10, 2019 3:59PM

My wife is thinking of creating a "home base" for the race to make it easier for friends to find her and spectate. She got tired of everyone calling her to ask where they could find her or meet up. This way she can just hang there until its time to go watch me come by. Her thought is to put up an EZ-UP in the blue zone below.

For the unfamiliar in the group, Transition and bike in/out is the black area. We run on the North and South side of the "lake". This gives her a short walk to see everything and the run goes by 3 times, you can cross the bridge and see your runner a couple more times.

All are welcome to use this for support. She will probably bring a cooler if she can get someone to help her get it over there. I was thinking maybe @Coach Patrick could send us an EN canopy from one of his EZ-UPs and that would make it easy to find.

Let me know if you want to help her sherpa/spectate from there.

• Options

@Gary Lewis This is great, thank you for setting this up. I'll have a handful of people coming into Tempe and this will be helpful to give them a central location. My brother-in-law and some buddies can likely help if they are able to make it to the race.

• Options
    edited October 8, 2019 2:51PM

training going ok for folks ?

generally ok here. last two weeks was 5 hours indoor on saturday. and 18 mile treadmill run on sunday.

swim fitness is pretty good. using the vasa. i need to increase volume a bit. as I get closer to the race i'll do a couple pool sessions with floater shorts.

on goal to bring up my 5 hour NP to goal. and I have a new lower weight - reset to 180 lbs without intention. about 2.8 w/kg now. hope for 3 w/kg. though absolute power may be more important for this flat race.

run is pretty much there. will increase the speed in the last miles of the sunday long runs for simulation.

this coming weekend will drop it back a bit. 4 hour saturday. 16 mile sunday.

then bring it back up the following weekends. couple more indoor 5 hour saturdays. throw in a couple 4-6 mile brick runs. and work the sundays with a 20 mile run four weeks out.

Hele on. Imua !

• Options
    edited October 8, 2019 3:55PM

@robin sarner hanging on so far but feeling those long trainer rides....... managed a 5:19:00 trainer time on bike Saturday......hoping to extend but my A$$ argues hard with my brain and there seems to be a constant HTFU conversation going back and forth after the ~4 hour mark......

I am at 175 lbs currently holding a 200-210 NP for 5+ hours........ ~2.64 w.kg 5 hour .......

Struggling to raise that with the 37 miles of running last week but might be able to with this team's mojo and no cracks along the way.

• Options

@robin sarner Training is going well. Bike is coming along, I feel good about the run, and my swim will be what it is. I can't seem to yet translate decent pool swimming into decent OWS. I may break down and get a Vasa this winter so I can get a session or two in during the OS.

I'm about to get a big hole punched in my training due to a 5-day trip to Hong Kong next Tuesday. I'm loading up on long rides and runs prior to the trip and hope (fingers crossed) to be able to get one or two pool swims and a handful of treadmill runs in -- running outside may not be smart given all the unrest. I'm viewing the trip to HK a little as a mini-taper as I'm seeing some record level numbers on Training Peaks.

All of my long rides to date have been indoors due to terrible weather on the weekends so I'm going to skip out of work tomorrow and try to get next week's race rehearsal ride in before snow comes to MN on Saturday and then follow-up it up on Thursday with a 6-hr trainer ride. I'll do the bricks off the bike and get the 2-hr Sunday run completed prior to leaving.

I'll look to slowly get back to training when I'm back to the US and recovering from jet lag and hope to be back for a long weekend ride. Assuming I feel okay after the trip, I don't think I'll make any other adjustments to the training plan (i.e., delay taper, etc.).

Has anybody experienced a week-long "break" 5 weeks out from an IM race before? Advice?

• Options

@robin sarner things are progressing nicely now... 2019 has been challenging on many fronts with work (weekly trips between Tacoma and Beaverton) and an unfortunate and prolonged bout of aspiration pneumonia that pretty much killed my summer to include IM Lake Placid. Have been able to get in some longer rides - but anticipating some very long trainer rides, unless I can go AWOL from work one PM when the sun comes out.

@jeff phillips for most of my IM builds I have had the Shanghai or Bangalore interruptions... luckily the hotels that i stayed at could get me to a pool or something running - tried to get bike time in prior and after (Zwifting is a good way to work thru jet lag).

Looking forward to the race...!

• Options

@robin sarner woohoo gonna gimme a run for my money this year!

@Shaughn Simmons huge work... knowing your racing IMCOZ at the same time we are racing IMAZ will make me think twice before showing any weakness :-)

@Jeff Phillips I like your plan, front load as much extra work as you can, do what you can when you travel (running on TM makes the most sense), ease into it over a few days when you return. You will have a couple weeks of quality training before having to taper. My only advice is DO NOT let that PMC chart dictate anything! I just took 6 full days off to travel from NH to AZ and it wiped out an entire month of gains (on the CTL) while there is no doubt I lost some fitness , it certainly was not a month. The danger would be trying to recoup that too fast. So enjoy those big TP numbers now but dont worry about them during/after your trip!

@Brian Gaffin sounds like a strategic sick day is in the making :-)

Glad the race wasn't today. Some FTP work in 96 degrees just about killed me, numbers were low, I felt sick afterwards. So far my long ride is 4hrs and 2.9 w/kg, hoping to build that to 5-5.5hrs and at least 3.0 w/kg. Its not so much what I think I can do , its what I will need to do :-) In the past I have needed 3.0-3.25w/kg for the IM bike leg, that is just the w/kg needed for a little guy with a baby FTP :-)

• Options
    edited October 8, 2019 9:47PM

thanks folks for chiming in. it is hard to have a discussion on GroupMe. GroupMe is nice for some banter though.

fyi. I am not posting my numbers to brag. I am posting to keep myself accountable. accountable to train well. but mostly to keep myself accountable during the race. more motivation to drive my full fitness through the race. this will be my fourth Arizona and it is time for a complete day.

@Shaughn Simmons

think i missed you are doing Cozumel. would have been nice to key on you during the bike. yes, with my years of indoor bike training, it doesn't get easier.

@Jeff Phillips

the vasa has worked well for me. need to be careful though as it does not help the form in the water.

for swimming before races at small motel pools, i use ankle strap with cord thing. attach it to something at pool edge and swim in place.

i think the hole in your training will be a good thing. chance for some recovery and come back at it with some intensity. don't dig a hole by doing too much before the travel.

during my week visit to Hong Kong island a couple years ago, had some interesting running along the waterfront. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the protests would mess up outdoor running much. should be easy to stay away from the protest areas. there is some trail running on the spine.

but also a good opportunity to get some good quality indoor treadmill miles.

@Brian Gaffin

bummer about the pneumonia. how did you aspirate bad enough to get pneumonia ?

sorry, I forget sometimes you are one of the local Pacific Northwest folks. I don't go to the YMCA anymore. my rare swims are at L.A. Fitness. folks have mentioned at times - maybe can do a Pacific Northwest dinner out sometime (no later than 5pm for me. :) )

@tim cronk

thanks fearless leader.

Well, I have be ahead of you to get back to the show. if we both have good days, hopefully this will at least happen by the middle of the run. If I perform to bike possibility, and stay aero, hope to at least be even with you on the bike. with the crew that is coming, there is a possibility of an EN legal pack or two.

yeah I have that height thing with the long legs hanging down. So even on the flats I need a bit extra to overcome drag. so I guess disadvantages to being short AND tall.

@Satish Punna

Are we the only guys in the same age group for this race for EN ? nice to have some internal competition. I hope to be in the same zipcode as you. hopefully we will be able to share mojo and Mana.