Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

2019 IM Arizona Kick Off Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2, 2019 9:03PM

Bib #'s for those who haven't looked yet.

With Jeff Phillips for the win with #1111

• Options

Last chance for everyone to order a TeamEN IMAZ 2019 Tshirt. I will be sending over the order in the morning.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2019 1:51PM

@Brenda Ross@tim cronk@Brian Hagan@Al Truscott@robin sarner@Satish Punna@DAVID RICHMOND@Matthew Goto@Sid Wavrin@Jeff Phillips@Nam Lam@David Howard@Kori Martini@Rich Stanbaugh@Dana Burns@scott dinhofer@Katherine Thom@Julie Pfeifle@Patrick Quinn@Greg Lewis@Ken Mclaughlin@Justin Gray@Jeffrey Davis@DANIEL MOLINA @Simon Shurey @Eric Wright @Justeen Paul @Stephanie Stevens @@Kyle Kolquist @Michael Kichler @Marc Tanguay @Brian Gaffin @Jay Lakamp @Coach Patrick @Bill Manard

IMAZ Peeps -

I need to try to get a head count for the TeamEN dinner. The current plan is dinner at Pita Jungle on Mill Ave. @ 6:30 Friday night. Its a 5 minute walk from transition. If I could get everyone to just put a number of total attendees next to their name on the spreadsheet, it will allow me to give the restaurant an idea of how much space we need and if they can accommodate us. PLEASE do this right away, so I can get a reservation. Pita Jungle is our first choice, since they have a variety of food including vegan options. If they can't accommodate us, I will find another spot. You are not at this point committing any money. If that is necessary, I will update everyone.

Spreadsheet link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1krElLoiHb9CjXeZ0D0etLRMqkHhdcTHnlNqJYXMyqs8/edit?usp=sharing

• Options
    edited November 5, 2019 11:46PM

thanks for setting up dinner.

i vote for earlier time. that is late for two days out.

• Options
    Robin, 2 days before , friday night dinner and sunday race
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2019 9:48PM

Dinner reservation has been made for 6:30, 11/22. They will have us in an indoor/outdoor patio area. I would suggest bringing a jacket or sweatshirt in case it is chilly.

Pita Jungle, 4 E. University Dr, Tempe, AZ, 85281

The manager was not sure if they would accept the $25 dining voucher, but they are listed in the Dine Around Guide.

Also, if driving there, you can park at Chase parking garage north of University on Ash and they will validate your parking.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2019 5:24PM

Wouaw... Coach is racing....

• Options

The hay is in the barn, let the taper begin, yes I could use 4 more weeks to really Peak, but we don’t have it and nor do I want to, so I will take the confidence built this last weekend to go into this race knowing I am physically and mentally 100% with the the time I had and will race the engine I built. Time for rest, recovery, good food, and sharpening wko’s.

• Options

Well, yeah, we're tapering now, but this coming week is no time to lolly-gag - same focus, committment, consistency, and effort levels, just less time at the long workouts. After next Sunday, then I can start to see the end of the tunnel...

If you see me Friday morning before the race @ 11 AM, and ask me, "Are you ready?", I'll say, "No, but I will be in 44 hours."

• Options

A week ago Sunday, the 3 hour run put me in a hole for this week 18. Thursday got a slight ear infection and sore throat but no fever. Pushed through the work over the weekend. ear infection gone, sore throat gone, no fever but annoying drainage and tired. I'm obviously no @Al Truscott, but don't blame a guy for trying.....

Planning on rest today and then following the taper schedule this week and next.

Bike shipping out via TBT today with older, Light Speed Saber, now installed on smart trainer for remaining wkos.

Now moving focus, to lists, nutrition plan, race logistics, absorption of past 3 weeks of work.

KMF all!

• Options
    edited November 12, 2019 1:25AM

get well @Shaughn Simmons .

let us bring it home all.

see you all soon. except our Cozumel man who will be starting earlier in the day.

race day I plan to share the energy on the course. If i see you I will give a shout. If I don't see you or don't recognize you through the pain fog, shout out your full name and "Endurance Nation". lots of Mana to go around.

hopefully most of us will be wearing Endurance Nation gear. I may switch to EN tshirt or singlet during the run.

Imua !

• Options

Serious Race Execution Question.

I plan to swim a 1:05 (based on previous IMAZ swims of 1:03 and 1:05) and normally line up in the front 1hr time frame. Considering the pro's and con's of lining up near the back. Has anyone ever done this?

1. Much more relaxed start
    2. Swim Time- How would this really effect the swim time? Giving up the draft of the fast peeps and overall cleaner swim, but with 2000 people already in the water tempe town lake turns into a whirlpool with a steady supply of "slingshot's", shouldn't be too hard to navigate with the rolling start.
    3. Weather- starting 20-30 min later would be 20-30 min earlier warmer temps on the bike, but more likely 20-30 min of more wind on the bike?
    4. Not having any idea who you are actually racing, but being able to mess with those who finish way before you?
  • Options

Tim, my thoughts after swimming last week:

1. Possibly but you will be with more unrelated swimmers. Some who will just be in your way.

2. I would think slower, as less drafting.

3. Big consideration. The earlier you get done the less wind. I know you tend to be cold, so wear more clothes. Then the "heat" will equal out.

4. Interesting. Think Goggins "taking souls" when you are crushing them on the run vs. breaking hearts when you come in later.

• Options

@tim cronk the sooner you are out of water, the less people you have to pass on bike. That would be my reason not to start later. My experience is everyone lined up in a slightly faster spot than their actual time, so probably just behind the one hour.

• Options

@tim cronk ...was considering the exact opposite .... hahahaha

-cleaner water, less crowded road on bike, less wind

only pro of starting later for me would be a few more ° starting the bike

• Options

@tim cronk I'd advise starting near the front of the 1-1:10 "wave" for the following reasons:

• I've seen the swim pack from both ends now. Back in my 50s, I was a 66-68' swimmer, and now I am lucky to get 1:22 (1:24 last spring @ Boulder, 1:21 @ Kona). You do NOT wasn't to be amongst those slower swimmers. Some of them are OK, but a higher proportion can not swim in a straight line, nor do they swim at a steady pace. I am now constantly worrying about where other people are in relation to me; when I was with the faster folk, I could most of the time just plow ahead on my own.

• The IM AZ swim start (at least last year) is ONE SWIMMER GOES IN THE WATER AT A TIME. With over 3000 athletes, this makes for a VERY LONG wait from the gun to the 1:20-1:30 swimmers - talking a half hour or more maybe. That has several impacts...

• A long time between leaving transition to getting in the water. Requiring attention to a whole host of factors - nutrition/hydration needs. Standing around and losing energy, focus. Keeping warm.

• The sun starts being in your eyes as you swim to the East - the later you start, the more this is an issue for the first 25-30' of the swim.

• I won't repeat the problems having to pass 100's of people on the bike. Risk of drafting calls, frustration in aid stations, etc.

• Starting 30' later than you could means you may be running the last bit in the dark. Not a big issue from a safety perspective, but psychologically, there is a benefit to finishing before sunset IMO.

I strongly advise you not to do this...

• Options

i was thinking similarly.

but back to trying to start with 60 minutes folks. if it is not stressful to get to the front of the line.

even many 65 minute swimmers are poor swimmers. use the fitness to muscle through with poor form. and many of these do not swim straight.

so hard to get benefit from swim drafting unless with faster and straight swimmers. and getting behind especially slow swimmers is especially slowing, at least for me.

hoping for close to 60 minutes for me this year

• Options

I think I’ll start somewhere near the front of the 1-1:10 group. I think I’m in 1-1:05 shape.

• Options

Thanks everybody. Looks like I am lining up in front like I normally do, right behind @robin sarner :-)

• Options

will tag along @robin sarner @tim cronk And @Satish Punna and try and hold on

• Options

@tim cronk and @Satish Punna .... just for my own selfish reason, I really enjoyed seeing you both started around the same time (and M Limbert) and raced each other till the end in 2017. I really hope to see some action on race Sunday, especially the podium repeat of 2017. With a lot more folks who will be racing this year, IMAZ 2019 should be a great showcase for EN!

Please stay healthy from now till race day.

• Options

PSA on BBS...

I fooled around a bit with Best Bike Split, using my actual numbers from last year's race. I discovered that the Course Road Condition was critical to getting their algorithm to match my actual time. Using "Good" (smooth asphalt) produced a 5:49 split; using "Average" (typical road mix) gave me 5:57:35. My actual split was 5:58:15.

I was using my actual NP and AP on the day to get the above estimate, so I believe it is a very good predictor when fed the right data, along with Average for the road surface.

Playing with weight, wind speed, and direction had a small effect, on the order of less than a minute. So I'd suggest that if you are using BBS to model your bike split, use Average instead of Good for the road surface option, and be very realistic about your weight (remember all that fluid and food you are carrying), and the wind (it's hard to get right as it shifts direction as the day warms up. I used 7.5 mph from 225 deg.

• Options

Ok. EN swim draft train.

• Options

I will more than likely be the caboose on the EN draft train Or the next train.

• Options

Finally got a bib... #162