Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Alexander Evis Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

Comments

• Options

The foot is a huge bummer. I should have more info later today once the doctor looks at the pictures.

Thanks for the steer to TriSwimCoach, I'll check them out. The idea of posting some video to the forums is a great one. My pool is very strict about photography/video in the pool area (it's a Y, lots of kids), but I'll talk to them this afternoon when I swim.

I listened to CP's body comp seminar yesterday - unfortunately none of it was new to me. I get the techniques - my problem is sustaining compliance. It's weird and frustrating because that is absolutely NOT a problem I have anywhere else in my life!

Thanks for everything,

AE

• Options

Alex, you can also use an app like My Fitness Pal - to track your calories and help you make good decisions about food choices. Coach Patrick's recommendation of just trying to fix one meal a week, then snacks, etc helps make the transition a bit easier and builds on good habits. If you ever planned to talk with a dietitian or nutritionist - they will ask you for that information anyway as a baseline to make suggestions.

• Options

Thanks Matt. One step at a time! MyFitnessPal (and LoseIt! does the same thing) have good functionality. The key is sticking with it.

• Options

Hi @matt limbert & @Coach Patrick ...Help! I’m in 2nd degree run jail. Ligaments on the outside of my right foot are strained (no tears or fractures thank goodness).

3-6 weeks. PT starts next week.

Only race of the year is in 8 weeks so I’m on week 12 of the bike focused 20-week half plan. How should I adjust?

Thanks!

ps I’m writing this here b/c I couldn’t find a way into the office hours site on my phone.

• Options

Alex, total bummer. PT is the priority. We want to keep the long term picture in mind. We will definitely focus more on the bike and swim. We can look at it later today and make some recommendations. Is biking still okay?

• Options

Thanks Matt. Yeah biking is totally ok. Swimming too.

• Options

I modified your season plan up to your race at Atlantic City. It has more of swim and bike focus. The runs are dropped for now. We can take another look at adding them back in based on how your PT goes and the recommendations from your doctor after 3-4 weeks. Your new plan is a Half IM Aqua/bike. It has one additional swim and bike per week. The pattern is a bit different, so you may want to take a look and adjust it to match your schedule. You will need to update your plan with your zones - just like you did for the other plans in order to get your HR and power zones into the workouts.

Being in run jail is tough, but now is a great time to take that energy and focus from the run and double down on your body composition goals. You will still build some great fitness while keeping the stress off your foot. How does that sound?

• Options

Thanks @matt limbert . That sounds perfect and the revised plan looks great. I'll revert once I have a better idea how long I'll be out for. So long as I can actually RACE in Sept., my goals aren't really in jeopardy yet - this year was all about dialing in process and proceedure.

You've been amazingly helpful, thanks!

• Options
    edited July 21, 2019 11:57PM

Alex, Nice work with your swim this weekend and your FIRST Zwift ride! You will totally get addicted. It's a great way to get a workout in. Car free environment.... No stoplights.... Just ride. Good luck with the PT and rehabbing the foot. You will build plenty of fitness and continue to work on the "off course" nutrition.

@Alexander E Evis

• Options

Thanks Matt! Yeah, it was fun. Definitely motivating to reel in a few riders.

• Options

Alex, it has been a fast 30 days. We would like to hear about your experience. Soon you will hear from Brenda Ross and she will talk to you about how it has gone so far. You can contact here her to set up a call: (set it up here)

Now that you have mastered Final Surge and using the Forums - you have graduated out of the new member forum to the Coaching Forum. Here: https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories/micro-thread-forum

In the next week or so, this thread (all of it) will move to the Coaching Forum. Nothing changes with your Final Surge account. You can still get a hold of me in the forum by tagging me @matt limbert.

You can still book a call with me here to talk all things training, technology and Endurance Nation (click here to schedule).

Talk again soon.

• Options

Hey @matt limbert I think I need some help.

My last two long rides (Thurs. 7/18 and Sat 7/27) have been tough times. On Thursday I was on my trainer and couldn't hold the required watts even on the second long interval, the second I did on hilly roads in upstate NY and barely squeaked out the first two intervals but had no hope for the remainder.

The common theme is that in both cases I let my HR drift up to 160 in an effort to hold the z3-z4 wattage. The one workout I did that I finsihed was before my power meter was fixed on 7/4 where I targeted 155-160 for the first and then 140-145 for the second set.

My questions are (and if you can direct me somewhere that would be great, I have poked around)

1. How should I balance HR and power in a workout like that? I plan on targeting MIN(z3 watts, 145bpm) during my race but it seems to me that I'm supposed to be going harder for the first 2 sets of these intervals. Maybe I put a hard cap on my HR at 158, 150 and 145 for each set even if I can't hold the wattage?
    2. In the team's experience is there likely something else at play here? I'm fueling as I have been (2 eggs on eng muffin, yogurt, granola, fruit and coffee before; 3 bottles in the first hour, 2 the second and 1-2/hr after that; alternate mini cliff bar, bloks and banana every 30mins)

Thanks! I plan on trying again I think on Friday

• Options

Alex, Those rides ( 7/18) and 7/27 are really tough rides. Let's look at them in context of the week and the build. The 7/18 ride was after the split long run. Which is a tough sequence to pull off. Your body has limited recovery time after 2x runs the previous day and those are really long intervals. The 7/27 ride - you hit on it with your comments - you were gassed early and that compounded your problem because it is harder to eat/drink when you are at your limit. This workout was also at the end of a significant build of bike focused work.

Lets apply some lessons learned and dial in the effort for the upcoming rides on Aug 2 & 3. Check out your ABP ride on 7/19. If you just look at Power and Heart Rate you can see the decoupling late in the ride - same (maybe a bit higher) heart rate, but lower/falling power. This plus your comments is super insightful. You want this power profile reversed. Start at the 180s and build across the ride to just under 200 W. Flip the power profile and lets see how your heart rate, perceived exertion and fueling goes. See how that effort feels. Practice on Aug 2 & 3. Start a bit easier and build into the effort.

Your questions 1 and 2 are linked and tough to separate. That would be a great questions to post to the forums. Your breakfast looks good and works for you - you don't have early stomach distress. The issue how much does the long run deplete you, then having to come back the next day with another long intense effort. Likewise, the fade in power and difficulty eating/drinking at the end of the long bike indicates a early pacing miscalculation. You clue into it when it becomes untenable at the high 150s- 160s heart rate.

Without the stress of running in the next couple of weeks lets really focus on the pacing. There are also a few really good opportunities with long rides and ABP rides to really dial in the bike pacing that works for you. For those longer intervals - bias towards the lower end of the power window in order to get more duration. Give that a shot on the upcoming long ride and ABP ride. Build into the effort developing power over the ride. See how that impacts your perceived exertion, heart rate and fueling. Your experience will make a great forum post and help you dial in your pacing for the race in the next few weeks.

• Options

Thanks @matt limbert ! What a thorough, thoughtful and helpful answer!

Ill put my questions to the hive mind tomorrow. In the meantime I have a swim and PT planned for tomorrow and Thursday and will put your advice to work on Friday.

Cheers.

• Options

Hi @matt limbert, the team came through big time on my Challenge Ride question! Thanks for the steer, we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Some updates for you - the physiotherapist said I may be able to start running again in a week, which is huge because my travel sched. is about to heat up. Here is what it looks like:

8/2 (today) - 8/11: Home, everything normal

8/12: Travel all day

8/13 - 8/19: Alaska with family. Light hiking every day, no bike (maybe a spin bike or a stationary bike in hotel gym), no pool. Some running available.

8/20 - 8/21: Travel day/wife's birthday: no workouts

8/22 - 8/24: Home, normal

8/25 - 9/2: Vermont. Indoor & outdoor cycling available, running available, assume no swimming

9/3 - 9/15 (race day): Home, everything normal

My first swim/long bike race rehearsal is on for Friday 8/9 - assuming I can start running after that, how should I start re-integrating running into the plan? I'm not overly worried about missing swims while we're away but I am worried about 11 days off the bike, especially if I need to be super easy on my foot 😬.

Thanks as always!

• Options

Alex, Good work posting. You Al Truscott and Derrek Sanks give great advice. They are very generous with their time.

Tomorrow's bike will be a good chance to focus on building effort order the bike and start with a lower heart rate, building into more effort. Then you can put your new pacing skills to the test next week.

RE: Alaska w/ family. Keep this guidance in mind when you tackle the bike workouts on the stationary bike:

WorkOut Triage

1. Cut the Interval Length but Keep the Intensity. IOW if 2 x 15' on the bike isn't working for you, can you do 3x10 with more rest or 4x7.5, etc.
    2. Do the Time but Drop the Intensity. If #1 doesn't work, then get in your 2x15' at .9 or .85 instead.
    3. Do the Time Only. If #2 doesn't work, then just get your 45-60 minutes done

Which brings up what not do to:

• Don't "save" a missed workout or main set and pile it on later in the week making a mega saturday ride. Bad idea. Let it go.
    • Don't "make up" for a skipped workout by doing the next one even harder.

As for the running, in Alaska - being active, hiking and keeping up with the PT exercise - I expect will be enough. Follow the doctor's guidance when you get back 8/22 - 8/24. After that, you will have a good idea how the foot is healing. Remember, we are in this for the long term. We can talk again after your normal week back and before Vermont.

• Options

@Alexander E Evis do us a favor and give us an update here when you get the chance, it’s always great to see how things progress even when you’re off the typical schedule. Just keep it light no pressure to report in!

• Options

Roger, wilco.

I have made some good progress over the last month both in the pool and on the bike, the question will be how much run fitness have I lost? Hopefully we'll be able to see soon.

• Options

Hi @matt limbert & @Coach Patrick . The PT let me out of run jail today! I ran about a mile with her in total.

I have my first race swim/bike rehearsal booked for tomorrow. Maybe I’ll do just one mile off the bike to remind my body what it feels like and get a sense for what my hr will do.

• Options

@Alexander E Evis Congratulations on making it out of run jail! So how did that run feel for you?

Let me know and we can start the process to mapping out a return to running fitness.

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick !

The run on the treadmill at the PT was fine, the run off the bike on Thursday was also fine but it’s been mightily sore since then.

Please start mapping! Thanks! The coming 10 days will be enforced ‘consolidation’ because I’m away in Alaska with the family.

Thanks guys!

• Options

@Alexander E Evis -

Here are my notes for you from @matt limbert :

So coming off of 20 days of no running, he is traveling to Alaska 8/12 - 8/22, the home for 3 days, then Vermont vacation 8/25 - 9/2, home, then HIM race 9/15. No bike in Alaska. Stationary bike in Vermont. Hiking in Alaska and Vermont. Basically 30 days out from HIM, coming off a 20 days no running and 1 mile treadmill run Aug 7. Consistently swims 2-3x / week,  4-5x rides /week.

I have made a tentative plan for you in Final Surge, and expect you to do your best on a stationary bike while in VT (understanding that's not an option in AK). The macro level goals here are to stay "foot healthy" and maintain baseline aerobic fitness through daily activity!

I'll be tracking you like a tagged grizzly,

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks gentlemen!

one slight (and positive change) I’ll have my bike and trainer with me in VT. I should not be missing out on many bike workouts after I get back from AK.

• Options

Excellent! Way to get after it.

• Options

That’s great news. Remember that if you spend a fair amount of time climbing some challenging hills in Vermont, you can shorten the ride duration a little bit. 👍 have fun!

• Options

@Alexander E Evis

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

This month we focus on helping you become more independent as part of your growth as a Self-Coached Athlete.  Whether you are planning your season, preparing to race or transitioning to a new endurance challenge...Team Endurance Nation is ready to help!

If you haven’t done so already, please set up your Month Three Coach Call here.

** Training Focus **

We consider anytime in your season when you are more than 12 weeks away from your event to be a training focus. There are different phases of training (OutSeason®, General Prep, Sport Specific), but they are fall under the same umbrella. 

Now that you are through your first two months of Endurance Nation, You have learned a few key “rules” of how we play the game, and you are ready to take charge of your experience.

Training Lesson Recap:

• No single workout is more important than your health, or your season goal. 
    • Prioritize your “key” workouts each week, then fill the rest of your space. 
    • We can always fix over rested. We can’t fix broken, exhausted or sick.
    • Have a specific goal for each training block - what is the desired end state?

Taking Charge:

• You should be comfortable moving your own workouts around at this point. 
    • You can change plan ability levels as needed to keep yourself on track. 
    • You can use the Test Week at any time to confirm a fitness change. 
    • If you want to take a different path that we suggest...do it and keep us posted!

** Racing Focus **

Once you are within the final 12 week window to your event, it’s time to really focus. From key workouts to nutrition to logistics, there’s a great deal to cover. There’s a fine line between a great day and a day where you want a total do-over. 

Key components of your final push should include: 

• Simulation Workouts to replicate the mental, physical and nutritional scenario you expect on race day.
    • A tried and true nutrition plan for your event; this is your last chance to lock it in!
    • Draft and review of a Race Plan to make sure you are 100% ready to take this on.
    • Optional rest as needed, and a defined taper in the last two to three weeks as necessary. 
    • 13 Weeks out from your race you should be getting a race preparation email and an invitation to GroupMe - if you haven’t gotten that yet - let us know! 

** Additional Support **

In addition to The Forums and other Team-related support, you still have the chance to connect with Coach Patrick across your first year. Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Tip: Find all your other call windows across your first year, please visit the EN Staff page

Be sure to check out our Three Year Plan in Resources / Wiki so you can see how we recommend improving from season to season. 

Coach Phone Consults

If you are looking for support above and beyond the traditional Endurance Nation experience, you can book a consult with Coach Patrick. These are billed at $100/hour and Can be on almost any training or racing topic. Please click here to learn more / get started. 

Congratulations for moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

• Options

Alex, how did the race go? Your bike HR data looks good - building effort across the ride. How did you feel? Do you want to knock out a quick race report? https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/endurance-nation-quick-race-report-form/

• Options

@Alexander E Evis -

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Congratulations on your race in Atlantic City! I know you have been nursing your foot for some time, and it was Nice to see you turn in a race performance that was pretty darn close to your best one from 2017. I hope you are sufficiently proud of what you manage to achieve!

In the short term we are trying to get your foot to heal in the next two weeks with some rest and self-care. Ideally you will be ready to get back to basic training with our run durability program in about two weeks.

That will then transition you into the out season program starting at the end of October with the rest of the team. Of course, this is pretty far off in the future so if we need to make modifications we can easily do that here in the forums. 

The idea that you will carry the out season in the traditional way through swim camp and then a complete half iron build into the Harryman half. From there is a short recovery and then begin the begin the process of building for the full in Tremblant. 

I don't want to have you doing too much volume too early which is why I have focused exclusively on the half distance first. This is, in a way, a defensive play to keep your foot healthy. If it turns out that you are no issues and you have a green light for run volume we can adjust accordingly. 

As always, feel free to jump into any short road races that you like or cycling events. 

Looking forward to your race report (hint hint): https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/q7a69dd1purtki/ 

Your Races

• 05/16/2020 70.3 Harry Man
    • Ironman Mont Tremblant (2020-08-23) #IMMT_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/16/2019
    • On 9/16/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 9/29/2019
    • On 9/30/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/27/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the    OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 2/2/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the  -- Swim Camp to end on 2/16/20
    • On 2/17/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Bike Focused  to end on 5/17/2020
    • On 5/18/2020 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 8/23/2020
    • On 8/24/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/20/2020

Your Notes

Gearing up for 70.3 Atlantic City on Sunday 9/15. Will be my only race this season after recovering from a foot injury.75% compliant with a mishmash of the last 12 weeks of the 70.3 bike focused plan and the 70.3 aquabike plan as my foot allows.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks guys! Race report will come tonight...I'm pretty happy I have to say but there is lots to work on.

• Options

Alex, have you looked at Coach Patrick's video on when and how use data? Thought you might be interested.