Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Alexander Evis Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]

Comments

• Options

Can’t wait to read it, even if it’s not perfect, feel free to post it!

• Options

Hey @matt limbert question about the The "B-A-A TRP" intervals during the long run workouts in Run Durability.

It says "30' as @ B-A-A TRP... in 3-minute increments"

Say my TRP is 8:45. Does that mean I repeat (3' @9:00; 3' @8:45; 3' @8:30) for 30' or do I start at 9:00 and speed up a hair every 3' such that I end up running an 8:30 pace at the end of 30'?

Thanks!

• Options

@Alexander E Evis You had it right the first time. It's the repeat (3' @9:00; 3' @8:45; 3' @8:30) for 30' version. So it works like sets of 9 minutes. This gives you a bit of variety in pacing and just a bit more work in the same time frame without adding too much additional stress.

• Options

Thanks @matt limbert . Did it wrong yesterday but that's ok...glad I asked!

• Options

Coach isn’t concerned about workout compliance, as long as you’re working out! 💪

• Options

Hey @matt limbert, question as I gear up for the OS.

I noticed on the 2019 plans there isn't any testing until the start of week 5. Should I test next week to set baseline stats or can I rely on the set of numbers I've been using for the last 6 months or so?

My injured foot feels really good - better than it has in months - despite because of the extra low-intensity miles, so I'm really psyched to start ramping it up again.

Thanks!

AE

• Options

@Alexander E Evis It’s Coach Patrick. Yes, we don’t normally have people test right at the start of the elk season simply because it’s often quite a leap to go from baseline fitness to super high end effort, particularly on the run. If you have a recent event or race in the last 6 to 8 weeks which we can use as target numbers, you can put those into The Calculator and use those zones. If you do not have such an effort, then you are welcome to work in a test early in that week to set your baseline.

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick . Since my running has been inconsistent over the last few months ( I spent a month in an aqua bike plan leading up to my last triathlon), I bet my old zones are off.

I’ll test next week.

• Options

@Alexander E Evis I love that you are gearing up for the OS and @Coach Patrick gave you the green light to set a baseline early if you are ready. We talked a bit and you may want to just retest the bike and wait for the run. Better to be conservative here with your foot - because there is plenty of time until your race. Testing the run will require a lot of additional load bearing force and torque to your foot during the run. It is too easy to strain or re-injure your foot. We can wait a few more weeks to ensure it is fully recovered. Bike Ok. Chill on the run.

• Options

Roger.

Thanks guys!

• Options

Hey guys. I blew the bike test big time...strange. Was tageting a 5% improvement from last round.

My HR was ~15bpm faster on the VO2 max segment and ~10bpm faster on the (aborted) Threshold segment. I wonder if I could really have lost fitness? I'm completing workouts in my old zones without much trouble most of the time, but I have lost about 8lbs.

One more question about the Outseason plans...How much does the sequencing of workouts within a week matter? Can I move them around as much as I want and still get the benefit or should I be doing my best to keep them in the order in which they're booked on the plan?

Thanks!

• Options

@Alexander E Evis You may need some rest. Take a look at your last 30 days of training. Re-read some of your comments and take a look at your data. This is what I see... In August you were not logging nearly the miles have in the last month or in the last week. (August = 22 miles, Oct = 99 miles). You have logged some serious quality during those miles last week - with over 50% in zone 3 and zone 4.

And about the same rate over the entire month

August Mileage total = 22 miles

Oct Mileage total = 99 miles

You are mentally and physically tough and disciplined enough to do the work. So a little rest may help you absorb some of the work you have done and then get back to it. Find your balance. Give yourself a few easy and aerobic days - following the same workout pattern just keep it easy. You can't rush the recovery. Consider moving your training plan forward a week. Focus on your sleep - quality food and then get back at it.

The order of the workouts does matter. We need to find a pattern that is sustainable for your schedule and body. Doing back to back - bike intervals (especially Outseason intensity) is demanding and the second interval day tends to suffer over the long term. You are familiar enough now with your strengths and weaknesses and the impacts of each type of workout. So, as you move things around like about how you routinely felt doing that activity and how it impacts your next workout. Can you do the long run or rolling hills and come back the next day with high power bike intervals? You may need to experiment a bit - that's where your comments are most helpful. Does that help?

• Options

YES! It does help! I didnt even know FS had that feature.

As always, thanks very much @matt limbert .

• Options

Hey guys, I failed *ANOTHER* FTP test today. They're in my head now and I wonder if I'll ever actually be able to do one all the through again.

My Q is, can I hack together new zones from existing information?

• My old FTP was 252w;
    • I was able to hold 287w for the last 15' of my 2:15 ABP ride on Friday;
    • I've been consistently and pretty easily through the top of the FS/Zwift zones in my other workouts for the the last two weeks (I've been doing z3 intervals around 212-213w; z4 intervals around 258-260w; "best effort" build intervals around 275w);
    • I held 330w for the 5' VO2 max portion of the test;
    • My plan was to dial in 280w for the first 6:30 of the 20' FTP test, build to 290 and then to 300 at the end but I blew up after about 11min;
    • I have lost 4kg in the last several weeks

I'm thinking about estimating my FTP at 265w. Does that sound reasonable? Can I even do that?

265 is 80.3% of 330 (VO2max test result), 92.3% of the 287w I held for 15min and "feels" right in the sense that the bottom of my next z3 will be 212w and the my new z4 will be 252w-265w.

It's a bit disappointing because its only a 5.2% improvement over the whole summer and the first portion of the OS, but I don't have anything else to go on.

Thanks!

AE

• Options

@Alexander E Evis Yes, you can estimate your FTP. 265 W is conservative. You could use 0.82*VO2max. I would think its around 270 W.

Let's reframe your story. It is awesome story. Why? There are multiple signs trending in the improving direction. You have a different level of fitness than this summer. Here is why:

#1 You held 287 W, AT THE END OF THE ABP ride. For 15'. That is awesome. Just look at the overall amount of work. You proved that you have an entirely different level of fitness than you had this summer. When you compare the amount of WORK in KiloJoules. Convert the ABP ride to KJ and see what happens. (1 Watt = .001 KJ / sec)

During that 2:15 ABP ride you averaged 200 W (or .2 Kj / sec) for 1:40 (or 100 minutes). In triathlon math = 100 minutes * (60 sec / 1 minute) * (.2 KJ / sec) = 1,200 Kj of work.

Then, you did 15 mintues at 287 W. Again, in triathlon math = 15 minutes * (60 sec / 1 minute) * (0.287 Kj/ sec) = 258 Kj of work.

So, for that ride you did 1,200 Kj of work and THEN did a max effort of 258 Kj. Pre-fatigued. 1,000 kJ (ish) is equivalent to an Ironman swim BTW.

In the summer your previous test of 252 W. Fresh. You most likely warmed up. Drilled the VO2 max interval, recovered and drilled the 20' test. 20 minutes * (60 sec / 1 minute) * (.252 Kj / sec) = 300 Kj of work. Plus a warm-up and the VO2max interval. 300+ to 400 Kj maybe. I'm not even going to do the math. Nowhere close to the total work you did on the ABP ride. And you were smoked at the end of that test in summer.

Being able to deliver big watts at the end of a ride demonstrates great fatigue resistance and fitness. That is why the ABP ride and the Cruise and Crush rides are so effective. (Added bonus they are fun too 😂!)

#2 "I've been consistently and pretty easily through the top of the FS/Zwift zones in my other workouts for the the last two weeks (I've been doing z3 intervals around 212-213w; z4 intervals around 258-260w; "best effort" build intervals around 275w)" - You just said it yourself. This is another good sign that you were at the correct training effort and were progressing under adequate stress.

#3 "I have lost 4 kg in the last several weeks" - more awesomeness. This takes significant discipline and changes in habits, making good choices, and prioritizing your goals. Stay with it. You earned every one of those kgs.

#4 No race checks your FTP before you enter. It is just one tool we use to ensure we use to leverage the stress component. You have kind of practical fitness development we want to see.

#5 Test execution. You had a great plan 280, 290, 300. When you were 6' into the test and you stood to change cadence, maintain power and your heart rate was sky rocketing into the 170 +. What story were you telling yourself? What was your self talk? Positive? Negative? Happens to everyone. How did that story compare to the end of the ABP ride?

#6 You are disciplined and motivated to big work, balance that with you new insight on rest. You are on track for some more gains.

• Options

Thanks @matt limbert .

Yeah I know I’m fitter, I guess I just don’t know exactly how much and I always feel like I should have improved MORE.

You nailed it with #4 & #5.

The narrative is the big problem and it’s been my problem since I started in this sport >10 years ago...I’m going to guess it’s one of the biggest challenges for most of your athletes. When the HR got up, I started producing fewer watts per unit of RPE and the clock was still showing 12min to go, it got negative fast: ‘Not AGAIN?!?’ Once i beard that, I was cooked. In some sense it was made WORSE by the fact that I knew my body could do more. Years ago I used to not be able to finish Olympic races without walking almost the whole run leg. No matter how good my prep, when my legs would start to go a mile in, I’d hear that same refrain. And as soon as I heard it, it was over.

The good news is I managed to break through. The bad news is that lasted 5 years, 8 races and two medical tents.

All of that said, I don’t really care what the test says so long as I’m improving - and I know I am improving. If I’m confident in the watts I can put out on race day, and if they are high enough to meet my goals, then the method I use to estimate those watts is irrelevant.

Thanks again!

AE

• Options

Just wanted you guys to know that I ran my first *EVER* sub-20min 5k on my run test this weekend (19:55). That includes high school and college!

My foot feels absolutely 100%.

Thanks!! 😀

• Options

Great work. 💪👊 That's awesome.

• Options

@Alexander E Evis just wanted to Chime in and say AWESOME. just a reminder that I’m not as obsessed about the test results as I am about the process that leads to it. You’re doing all the way to work right now and it will get harder as the holidays approach. Stay the course!

• Options

Hey @matt limbert & @Coach Patrick, update for you & some questions:

The good: I finally finished a bike FTP test, and came in at 280w. That's 10% better than the start of the OS! I did a 10k time trial for my run test, clocked in at 39:25(!!)/336w. Some questions on that: I used my new Nike Vaporfly shoes on the run test, but don't want to train in them every day. How should I handle my new zones? Maybe I just make the jump to power from pace? Or take the proverbial 4% off my test pace?

The bad: On 12/23 I had to cut a long run a bit short because of tightness in my right hamstring. It wasn't a sudden pull or snap, it just felt like overuse and probably some bad form. I haven't been 100% right since. I was doing 28-30mi/week for the two weeks before that. I managed one 30mi week since then and wasn't in great shape after that either. How should I take this into the in-season? I'm thinking I want to limit consecutive big mileage weeks...I know I'll have to go over 30, but maybe I make sure I follow those weeks up with lighter running loads?

The ugly: My life has changed a bit. Ive gone from not working much at all, to 40 and now 60 hrs/week. What do I lose if I go with the minimalist plans vs the bike focused versions? Should I be thinking about scheduling differently? As a reminder, my races this year are a 70.3 in May that I dont care about and IMMT in August that I really care about a lot.

Thanks!

• Options

@Alexander E Evis Holy cow those are some great results. I hope you are pleased. It's very rare that athletes will improve on both the bike and the run in the off-season. That's a testament to your hard work and dedication across this winter. You have every right to be proud of what you've been able to achieve. 💪

I would stick with the power numbers from your test and run with that. You're right, we don't want to run in vaporflys all the time but the power numbers should be fairly consistent. It will be a little bit of variation with the carbon footbed but I found that my power numbers feel breathless will be the same between different shoes. You'll just be doing the work without that "free" speed.

Hamstrings are notoriously tough to take care of. The fact that you're able to still run well despite having the strain in your hamstring shows that high-performance as possible. However that lingering issue could become a bigger problem overtime. In general, the higher the hamstring strain, closer to your glutes, the more challenging it can be to resolve itself.

I recommend that we keep the run mileage below 30 to keep you happy As the work starts to build. We also leverage the "split run protocol" where we can get in some sneaky volume but still allow your body to time it needs to recover.

In addition to being aware of your run, what type of work are you doing to make sure the hamstring stays healthy? I'm just curious.

In terms of a minimalist plan, don't get too stressed out about it right now. It's very easy to get attached to certain levels of fitness in volume, but it's far more important that we have a process for you or you can stay healthy overtime. And that really revolves around listening to your body. If we know that your work level is going to be that high, it doesn't make sense to continue piling on work when you will be unable to absorb it. I personally recommend that we opt into the Minimalist clan now into the half, and see how that affects your overall performance before we make any decisions about what the training in into Mont Tremblant should look like. What do you think?

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick ! I am very happy!

And thanks for the advice...some followup

Re run zones: I obv. didn't follow the power test protocol, so how should I calculate my run FTP given my 10k TT average of 336w? Should I just try to make that the middle of z4 the way my 10k pace would be?

Re hamstring: you guessed it, it's up near my glute, towards the inside. I'm going to a chiropractor regularly (I don't know about the science but it has seemed to help with this and a couple other problems) and I'm more disciplined about stretching before every run. Roger on the mileage and the split runs.

Re minimalist plan/season plan: I have anxiety about building the endurance for the full distance in only 14 weeks, including recovery from the half. You have the experience so if I'm being silly pls dont be shy in saying so!

Thanks again, you guys are amazing.

AE

• Options

@Alexander E Evis

RE: Run zones. Try using 353 W as your rFTP. 336 is 95% of 353 W. The 95% mark is the top end of Zone 3. That math works for me. I did a quick check against your own data. You should look too. Look particularly at the Easy run and TRP. Your last TRP run last Sun (Jan 26) was an avg power of 280. So if you use 353 rFTP that lines up with the low end of the EN power zone for TRP.

Start with that number and continue to run by pace an perceived effort for a week or two. Cross check your pace and effort with the power number. Don't chase a power number, remember - its just another tool to help you gauge your effort. Easy runs need to be easy.

RE: Hamstring. Consider some of the hip mobility work here (see bottom of the page): http://members.endurancenation.us/Learning/Running.aspx

RE: Minimalist Plan. You are really disciplined. We are not concerned at all about you getting work done. End of May / Early June is the decision point for the Minimalist option. Let's see how March-April-May play out out. If work is still crazy, there is only so much stress (life+work+fitness) that you can handle without risking sickness or injury. Either way we will work on you race execution skills so you can get the most out of the fitness that you built. We will get you in the best plan that fits into the rest of your life+work+fitness balance.

• Options

Thanks both @matt limbert & @Coach Patrick !

I did an easy run yesterday and it came in 7:52/269w so I'll keep playing with the zones and see what happens.

Thanks for the steer on the hip routine, I can work that in before I start running.

• Options

Hi @matt limbert & @Coach Patrick ...I hope you guys and your loved ones are all safe and healthy. I know you're making good choices, and I expect the rest the team is doing so as well.

With that in mind and assuming our #1 priority is our own safety and the safety of others, I'm writing w/ a suggestion for office hours or seminar topics to help us navigate these scary times.

1. It's a mater of time before the pools all close. Since im in a very densely populated area, I've been avoiding them anyway (a bit selfishly because I hate swimming). But how should triathletes adjust their plans if the local pool is shut for a month or two? Is it as simple as replacing with cardio runs or bikes - most people don't have swim ergs at home.
    2. Ironman is gearing up to postpone and cancel races (https://www.ironman.com/updates). How should we respond if a race is postponed, and how should that response differ if the race is your "A" race or one that's further down the hierarchy (for example, I have a 70.3 on the calendar for May that I'm alredy assuming will be toast but an IM in late August that...who knows?).

Thanks guys....please be well.

AE

• Options

@Alexander E Evis Awesome idea. Thanks for bringing this up! Super insightful🧐

Coach Patrick and I were just talking about this. He is going put out some guidance this weekend about how to make the training adjustments you mentioned. We can't think of everything and you brought up some good points already. Send me your questions. I sent you a message. You can respond to that so we don't clog up your Coach Thread. Fire away! Thanks for the help.

• Options

@Alexander E Evis

Great to hear from you! 😀 This virus stuff is so challenging right now isn't it! We are hearing about consistency with a lot of our athletes, so you are not alone. All this virus stuff has made things a bit unpredictable. 

You are super disciplined and focused. It's like your super power! 👊 I know you will get back on a routine that works for you, by making some tweaks and improvements everyday. Experiment a little bit with timing. It might not be your "normal" time for a run or bike - but it might work now. You most likely know if you are a "morning" person or not. So, try a new routine set the schedule - then optimize it over the next few days.

When I scroll back through your training going back through January, you are killing it. Defend that streak! Doing something everyday - even if you just get some aerobic time in and forego the intensity makes a big difference. It keeps your metabolism up and your fitness progressing. The Balanced Durability plan is perfect for you right now.

Keep the moment of getting started with your daily session. (You are doing better than a lot of folks here, some are having trouble even getting started.) 👊x2 Use all the tricks! Get all your workout stuff ready the night before. If it is a run, then get your watch, shoes, shorts, shirt, etc all out the day before. Same thing for a bike, shorts, shoes, look at the workout etc. Then, tell yourself that all you need to do is warm-up and get out the door or on the trainer. All those little things, keep your momentum up towards getting today's session in.

You mentioned being distracted during the workout. If you need to be more consistent in your effort. You feel like a rockstar one day and a hungover rockstar the next. Take a look at your sleep, daily nutrition. If you can honestly say those are okay. Look at your easy days and make sure they are easy.  If your sleep, nutrition, and easy days are all normal -ish. Then, its time to up your game! When you set aside the time to workout, practice being present in the workout. Concentrate on the details of execution of the workout - breathing, pressure on the pedals, cadence, and effort. Be aware when your mind starts to drift or get distracted. Then, HERE IS THE KEY POINT, don't judge yourself. Its not good or bad is just aware. Be aware that you are becoming distracted and refocus on the task at hand. The workouts are typically an hour or bit longer. Whatever is competing for your attention can wait an hour.

Give that a shot. I would love to hear how it goes.

Check in anytime,

Matt

P.S. Thanks for filling out the survey.

• Options
    Thanks Matt! And the survey was a great idea, that’s what gave me the idea
    of reaching out!

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 1:26 PM matt limbert <
    teamenforums+d25869-s6029573@gmail.com> wrote:

> [image: Endurance Nation Community]
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > matt limbert mentioned you in Alexander Evis Official Coach Thread [TeamEN]
    >
    > @Alexander E Evis
    >
    > Great to hear from you! 😀 This virus stuff is so challenging right now
    > isn't it! We are hearing about consistency with a lot of our athletes, so
    > you are not alone. All this virus stuff has made things a bit
    > unpredictable.
    >
    > You are super disciplined and focused. It's like your super power! 👊 I
    > know you will get back on a routine that works for you, by making some
    > tweaks and improvements everyday. Experiment a little bit with timing. It
    > might not be your "normal" time for a run or bike - but it might work now.
    > You most likely know if you are a "morning" person or not. So, try a new
    > routine set the schedule - then optimize it over the next few days.
    >
    > When I scroll back through your training going back through January, you
    > are killing it. Defend that streak! Doing something everyday - even if you
    > just get some aerobic time in and forego the intensity makes a big
    > difference. It keeps your metabolism up and your fitness progressing. The
    > Balanced Durability plan is perfect for you right now.
    >
    > Keep the moment of getting started with your daily session. (You are doing
    > better than a lot of folks here, some are having trouble even getting
    > started.) 👊x2 Use all the tricks! Get all your workout stuff ready the
    > night before. If it is a run, then get your watch, shoes, shorts, shirt,
    > etc all out the day before. Same thing for a bike, shorts, shoes, look at
    > the workout etc. Then, tell yourself that all you need to do is warm-up and
    > get out the door or on the trainer. All those little things, keep your
    > momentum up towards getting today's session in.
    >
    > You mentioned being distracted during the workout. If you need to be more
    > consistent in your effort. You feel like a rockstar one day and a hungover
    > rockstar the next. Take a look at your sleep, daily nutrition. If you can
    > honestly say those are okay. Look at your easy days and make sure they are
    > easy. If your sleep, nutrition, and easy days are all normal -ish. Then,
    > its time to up your game! When you set aside the time to workout, practice
    > being present in the workout. Concentrate on the details of execution of
    > the workout - breathing, pressure on the pedals, cadence, and effort. Be
    > aware when your mind starts to drift or get distracted. Then, HERE IS THE
    > KEY POINT, don't judge yourself. Its not good or bad is just aware. Be
    > aware that you are becoming distracted and refocus on the task at hand. The
    > workouts are typically an hour or bit longer. Whatever is competing for
    > your attention can wait an hour.
    >
    > Give that a shot. I would love to hear how it goes.
    >
    > Check in anytime,
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > P.S. Thanks for filling out the survey.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Reply to this email directly or follow the link below to check it out:
    >
    > https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/284376#Comment_284376
    > Check it out
    >
    >
  • Options

OK @matt limbert , @Coach Patrick, as Im sure you know IMMT "will not take place as planned". It's probably cancelled this year. The local 70.3 I had on the calendar for May 16 is now "re-scheduled:" for Sep. 19 but in reality is likely cancelled too. So from a raced perspective, I think 2020 is a write off.

I really apprecate all the props you've given me, Matt, for my discipline. But life in general these days as well as the race cancellations have taken a sledgehammer to my motivation and the joy I take in general from the sport.

I'm entering the last week of a balanced durability plan and had the 4-week full prep plan loaded in followed by 12 week full plan. Assuming there is no racing in 2020 AND with the understanding that my brain is not in a great spot - what should I do now?

Thanks for all you guys do! Stay safe.

AE