Home Coach*EN 🔒
Options

Sid Wavrin 2019 CoachEN Thread

@Sid Wavrin This is a placeholder as we get started!

As a Coach*EN athlete we are looking for a bit more information from you so we can give you the best help possible. 

When you get a chance, please complete the CoachEN survey online here: https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/coachen-getting-started/

And set up a call with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/30min If you need me to give you a different time option, let me know!

~ Coach P

(617) 513-3830

Comments

• Options
    edited July 30, 2019 5:04PM

@Coach Patrick I find myself nursing a bit of a sore knee. (right after I tell you I never have injuries.) I really wanted to start a run build right here, but will rest from the run for a bit to calm it down. I have a dive vacation starting the end of this week so we will see what happens. Had a couple long rides and a sprint race that went really well last week, so for now I think I'm in a decent spot. Talk to you soon.

• Options

Sounds good. Anything in particular that you did? Where is it sore? Also, here is our call notes...did I miss anything?

07/18/2019 Call Notes

Health

• Outside of ankle recurring issue, currently okay. Could be borderline PF or Peroneal tendon attachment.
    • Back has healed from surgery; every day does back stretching / core work.
    • Currently averaging 25 miles a week right now...

2019 70.3 Races:

• Weird calibration on the 520 in the AM (usually 13 or 12; but it was higher by 10#). Wattage on the bike was low; P1 pedal calibration was off. Had to use heart rate and it worked.
    • Vic felt smooth, CDA was harder but went similarly.

Ironman Focus:

• AZ will be 5th Ironman.
    • Hasn't performed to potential in an IM.
    • 2015 ran a 4:12 after a brutal bike ride.

Goals:

• Sub 4h IM Marathon.
    • Wants to keep speed on the Bike, but not lose the run.
    • Note... IMAZ is his first flat one. Zwift is the main focus, gears matter, stronger work in training / key sessions.

Travel:

• First week of August (8/3+) is a Dive Trip (no bike)
    • Volume focused week ( 7/25 big ride, 7/28 epic ride)
  • Options

I'm not sure what caused the knee issue. I may have actually hit the inside of it in a fall on the MTB. It was a little painful for a week or so, but really didn't hurt when I ran. I did a sprint tri on Saturday and with the added speed it was pretty noticeable. 130 mile ride Sunday I noticed it, and tried to run Tuesday and baled out after a mile or so. Pretty sharp pain. So...I think I will rest it from the run a bit. I think the bike will be okay. Yes, the call notes look good. I have had some thoughts on the "long view" since we talked, but we can touch on that next time.

• Options

OK sounds good. Would be great if you sent me a picture of your name with you pointing to where the pain is, as well as if you could be specific to the location of the pain when you cycle/run. Is it the front of the knee side of the knee back of the knee, etc. might be nice to have a picture of the two knees side-by-side with your leg straight to also be able to compare

In other words, I stalk your knees #SoHard

• Options

Here is a couple pictures. sorry...not that sexy! The sore spot is the inside of left knee. I have ran a couple times. It doesn't seem to get worse. Hurts more when I start and seems to fade a bit. I've been icing and taking advil. I think I've had it before several years ago. It just resolved itself. Downhill running is the most uncomfortable. I don't think there is swelling. Bike doesn't bother much. Just sort of achy.

I don't like talking about injury! I think it will go away with some care. Either way I will be ready to do some big work again after this weeks trip.

@Coach Patrick

• Options

@Sid Wavrin Since you are paying for coaching, I am obliged to say THAT KNEE IS SEXY!!!!! 🤣

Seriously though, I think part of the issue is just lack of knee stability. Your quads are fairly underdeveloped, especially the VMO muscle. Most degeneration happens medially, so there are two exercises you can add to help out (very simple, 3x a week) and let’s see how you respond. The video is here: 

Let’s connect after this week!

~ Coach P

• Options

Okay @Coach Patrick. I Will do the exercises immediately. I'm back from Honduras ready to get back to work. We will see what the fitness is like after a week with very little SBR. The lack of running spooks me a bit. Need to get a goal build in mind and then see how it goes. For now I will work into regular training and get ready for an IM build. I will talk to you soon. How do you want to connect?

• Options

I think you can reach out to me on my cell on Friday via text so we can see how the week played out and talk before the weekend!

(617) 513-3830

~ Coach P

• Options

Okay. I will text Friday. So here is the things on my mind. A little concerned about the knee but let's assume it resolves. Will you help me plan a run build over the time that is left. I guess maybe a progression of Miles per week? And then what is important in terms of running intensity? I guess at this point I am thinking nothing too fancy. Just build the mileage. Or maybe the last 12 weeks of the IM plan as it is laid out is sufficient? I feel like I may have had a little break through on the bike. We will see how that plays out.

• Options

You got it. I agree that your games this year have been bike oriented and I look forward to seeing how that plays out on race day. Ultimately we want the healthiest you we could possibly have so we don’t want to get too aggressive with the run. It’s worth noting that sometimes people just need a week or two are steady or running for consolidation.

I will be working on this today, so let me know if you have any updates for me.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Over the weekend, as I mentioned in text, I ran a short aquathlon sprint. Total of about 5 miles of running (run 2 miles, swim 1/2 mile. run 3 miles.) Run speed is good. I ran the first two miles around 6:40 and the last three after the swim at something over 7:00. So I just need to need make sure I build the endurance back in the run. For your reference my 1/2 IM runs in June were around 1:42. I ran 38 miles last week and my knee is really pretty good. I think with some care it will be fine. I will load the full IM plan at the end of Aug. and I think that basic frame work is probably fine. My TP numbers are a little low but because of racing two halfs in June (with taper and rest) and then vacation in Aug. I don't think they reflect the training load I can handle, so they will come around. This week I can tell you that I swam long yesterday (Monday) I will do an interval bike WKO today (Tuesday) plus endurance run and I plan to do mountain goats with Al Truscott on Thursday. (probably 5 hours or so.) So that leaves Wednesday for a possible longish run? On Saturday I volunteer for a kids triathlon but I will be able to work in some training in then Sunday maybe a medium brick. I should also mention I plan to race an Olympic on Aug 31. I an totally open to suggestion. I've been thinking about long term goals and would like to discuss that at some point later when we talk. So to sum this up: Is the basic full IM advanced plan good as is? Do I need to tweak anything based on recent history? % or 6 runs/week? So basically I just want a better swim, a better bike and a better run! enter magic formula here please!😂

• Options

@Sid Wavrin Thanks for the update...I have been mulling this one over while I was in Chattanooga, and here is what I think.

1. Yes to the Full IM Plan, Swim and Bike as planned there.
    2. First 3 weeks at the INTERMEDIATE (L2) level first, then in mid-Sept you can roll over to the ADV plan. You can over-achieve on the bike, but Not the run at this point.
    3. Start with 5 runs per week during this time, with two days with NO RUNNING as we get back to a traditional build. That can go do 6 when you bump to ADV.

Run Thoughts:

1. We should "stagger" your run weeks to keep you healthy.
    2. 38 mi week / 30 mi week / 40 mile week / 30 mile week / then proceed with volume.
    3. I know this won't be fun for you, but it will put us in a place to be "run successful" come end of Sept/Oct and into your race!

Additional Thoughts:

1. Bike volume is always welcome; and early IM prep works too. So don't hesitate to find and do a longer ride event if that works.

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Great. That lines up nicely with what I was thinking. I really like the idea of of a bigger run volume week followed by a smaller one. Those 38 to 40 mile weeks are big for me historically so we will give it a go and see how it settles. I do also have a big ride scheduled as Coeur D' Fondo in CDA on Sept. 21 Which I think is around 120 miles. I will hopefully meet up with Al this Thursday for a ride up the mountain which will be longer also. I scheduled a call for later this week so we will talk then.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin Great call today..thanks for the time!'

I have updated the weeks to be Run Focus (this) and Bike Focus (next). Check it out and let me know what you think!

I agree that we build across the three IMs; goal is to get better and better at race execution.

Step one is to really keep that bike rolling. This will be your big advantage relative to your AG as you have been strong all year.

Step two is the consistent running; in both versions of weeks ^above^  you get 6 total runs in. That's winning!

Step three is to push key areas of your bike. Looking at WKO4, you have recently set a 5' power best (see yellow above red in the 5' range below), but your 1' to 2' power is low. So there's the target. On your races and in Town Lines, we want 1' efforts targeting 340W, and 2' efforts targeting 300W.

Sound good?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick All looks good. The only comment I would add is that Friday is always FFT which is one hour at about sweet spot. Still fits in. And the Thursday split run is out so no really long day on the run. Guess we save that for later.? I'll try to do it just like this.

• Options

@Coach Patrick I pretty much followed this modified plan for the last two weeks. The Long ride Saturday felt good. Split run on Sunday was tough, but got it done and feel pretty good this AM. The coming Weekend is a long fondo on Saturday of about 130 miles. I Thought I may follow up on Sunday with another longish ride. Or do you think better to run? It looks like the run weekly mileage is settling in on either side of 30 miles. (28 or 32). Do you think that is okay or do I need to push that? It should naturally edge up as the long run gets longer. Let me know if you have thoughts or if you think I need to make modifications to the Advanced bike focus plan.

• Options

I did the fondo Saturday. Took Sunday Basically off. I was negative 50 after a pretty big week. The fondo went really well. I think we will be able to start to see a pretty good 5 hour power. Next week is a test week. I may or may not do a bike test. I'm thinking we can see what we need for race numbers without it? I think I will time trial a local century here next Saturday. If you have some thoughts on any tweeks let me know, otherwise I will basically follow the plan while maybe adding a few easy run miles.

• Options

When you get a chance please look at the Coeur D Fondo in TP. Total ride time was 6:51. N. power of 177 which is an IF of .78. I rode pretty hard but not ridiculous. I felt pretty good when I finished. With my current FTP it gave me 415 TSS. What I'm getting at is that doesn't this square with my FTP which I just tested about 3 weeks ago. I have always observed that I can ride a higher IF on long rides than what my FTP would suggest. My 1/2 iron bike in CDA in June was a Normalized power of 177. 183 in a 1/2 a month earlier. How does this all apply to a bike plan for for an IM? Any thoughts? IMAZ is a ways out, but I have a power number that I think makes sense from today's perspective. Would love to hear what you think.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin Thanks for the bump. Here is what I see...

After 4.5h of riding (and a break) you rode 31 miles at .82....them's 70.3 watts bro! 💪

Even better, you built your effort most of the day, so that's S2 (strong ^ smart). 🤔

I agree, what we see here is that your testing numbers aren't the best predictor of what's possible for you. I believe you can go 170 to 175 in your next long ride as a steady state test...it would be nice to see what that number "feels like" after a few hours. And how your body reacts to it. Thoughts?

The only caveat I have is that you _can get_ more watts on hills than on the flats; that could be skewing things a bit (which is why we "test" with a ride).

This just confirms that the good work you have done on the bike continues to grow across your season!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited September 25, 2019 12:25PM

@Coach Patrick There is a century here on Sunday. I will target that 170 to 175 range and try to to control the climbing watts and see what happens. In the end that may be a bit aggressive for IM watts, but I'll ride it and see. Thanks for the response.

• Options

I agree it might be aggressive, but counter that with good caffeine and calories in the final 2 hours...you might be surprised at what's possible. Don't be afraid to crack a can of coke open at an aid stop! 👍💣

• Options

@Coach Patrick I was forced inside this weekend due to weather. I did 31/2 hours on Saturday as two races and and a group ride (so pretty hard riding) and Sunday as an organized 100K on Zwift. I feel like the 170 watts range may be doable. I will try my best to use this Saturday as a long steady ride to test further. This week has very little running in the plan and do to fatigue from the Sunday challenge ride I was a little short this past week. Where do you think I could put a long run in this week? Thursday or Sunday possibly?

• Options

No worries! On the indoors; it’s likely harder than outdoor riding and besides, you got it done! I think that sunday should be your long run day so that you can complete the week and get balanced again before going long. 

How’s the body feeling otherwise? 

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Completed week 15 fairly successfully. 4200 yd swim Friday at around 1:11. Friday I rode 5:25 on Zwift for 293 TSS followed by 1 hour run around 6 miles. Followed up Saturday in Zwift with 80 miles, about 4 hours and 194 TSS. Friday IF was .74, but could only hold around .69 on Saturday. Sunday run was around 2 hours and 13 miles. Psoas is still pretty sore after, so I am trying to manage that. I really hope I can continue the run and manage that issue. I have managed weeks up to 40 miles. More typically a big week is mid 30s. Probably averaging in the high 20's. Run should peak with a 3 hour run on Thursday about 10 days from now. Hopefully I can pull this off. I would love to play with BBS and try to dial in a race power goal for IMAZ. My account wont let me load another course. (free version.) I will look at it again. Bottom line is I think I am on track if I can hold it from here. Any thoughts are welcome.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin You can log into my BBS account Online here: patrick.mccrann@gmail.com dontbonk

and add yourself or invite yourself as a member (or just make yourself a new athlete). This is for Coach EN folks only FYI.

Don't sweat the long run so much...I'd rather have 30 to 40 miles as 4 x 10 than a typical week with a 3 hour lnog run and Psoas pain for days. Yes the long runs help, but a healthier you is faster! Ideally we get you in 32 to 35 MPW range for this week and two more weeks!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thank you! I will not abuse thee BBS. Really appreciate it. And good thoughts on the run. I will keep plugging away and see how things shake out as I progress. Sunday of this week I'm going to team a local marathon with Kelly (wife) for my long run Sunday. I can customize the distance to however I feel and she can finish. I will use that to see what I do for final long run on the following Thursday. I'll ping you if I need help deciding what to do. I should be able to hold around 35 mpw in some form.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman St. George - North American Championships (2020-05-02) #IMSG_20
    • Ironman 70.3 Couer d'Alene (2020-06-28) #70.3CDA_20
    • Ironman Canada (2020-08-30) #IMCanada_20   

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/22/2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 11/28/2019
    • On 11/29/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/26/2019
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason Run Focused Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020
    • >> Transition Early <<
    • On 2/10/2020 Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 5/3/2020
    • On 5/4/2020  Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 5/17/2020
    • On 5/18/2020 Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused to end on 6/28/2020
    • On 6/29/2020 Load the  -- EN Full Run Focused to end on 8/30/2020

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick I won't bore you with details, but I think all is going well the last couple weeks. Starting to think about bike pacing. I ran BBS and was very surprised at the predicted bike time. I think I have a power number that seems realistic if the BBS time is close. Maybe you could glance at the BBS file and let me know what you think? I won't focus on time but would love to get your thoughts on pacing given recent long training rides. Will WKO4 give you a pretty good idea? I think I have a pretty good idea of a nutrition plan on the bike, but again would like your thoughts on what may work best for the run. Should I schedule a November call to discuss these two items or do you want to handle it here?

• Options

Let's definitely plan a call mid next week! I will check out best place for todayAnd give you some analysis.The key is balancing the work it has you doing with what you wanna do you want to do in the run. Remember,Your invoiceStill may not give the speed that BBS predicts.

Stay tuned.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin Great to talk with you today. Here are my notes from you on the BBS stuff....

1. I agree on the numbers you input.
    2. As I mentioned, we don't know what we'll get on the day, but you have the "fitness" to ride what's there on paper.
    3. Note the differences there in the watts.... Flat Head vs Tail is just 10% off (17w). Without hills in AZ, I could see you pushing the Minor Hill watts in key sections to see if you can get your speed "back up" to where we want it to be (approx. + 10% or 14w).

More imporatntly, note how it has the speed changing ober time on the course based on the terrain. It doesn't have an increasing wind effect, which you should expect...but the general flow of the race will still be as follows:

These aren't free miles but they come at a lower cost. I would use this knowledge to keep me pushing on the out bound leg (when I want to quit) as I know there will be a respite of sorts on the inbound section.

Please post those pictures when you get a chance!

~ Coach P