Sid Wavrin 2019 CoachEN Thread

Comments

• Options

Notes from the 12/03/2019 call

@Sid Wavrin -

Your bike data from TP.com...

Lap one "can't get power numbers".... Lap two "gotta back off"

Opportunities:

• don't drop so much power on the way back...
    • Indentify better gearing for the course to maximize the speed (maybe an 11 speed cog in the back, for example).

The Bike Fit

These are opportunities I see....

• Closing the gap from hands to face
    • Leg extension looking good
    • Back angle is too steep
    • Cue is quieter in your helmet.
    • As you can see with picture #3, you are more relaxed in the Cervelo....would be great to get that "back" in play for you should the opportunity exist with a better fit. There's no penalty for asking!

Run Improvement

First, there's a solid 10 miles to build on as you can see below. Next step is making sure the fueling piece works (bike supports the run, early run supports later run) and then being better about the aid stations. Improving the run through aid station management; setting expectations that you stop every other aid station vs every one will save you about 10 minutes on your current fitness. And no potty issues saves you another 4'...so that sub 4 run is within reach now.

Next Steps for Training...

Start outseason calendar, but we want to ease into it. Swim on Monday/Friday as you feel good. Heres a basic guide. You can have a 2.5-3 hour zwift session in here per week, but it has to be easy please!

• 12/2 - follow run frequency but cap runs at 15' and keep it easy. Bike 3x per week, mostly aerobic at/just under IM pace. 1 x 20' race.
    • 12/9 - follow run frequency but cap runs at 15' and keep it easy. Bike 4x per week, mostly aerobic at/just under IM pace. 1 x 20' race.
    • 12/16 - can bring runs up to 25 per session, weekend run of 45'. Can do Tuesday OS Bike/Race, other 3 bikes are aerobic.
    • 12/23 - Keep runs At 25 per session, weekend can run 60 minutes long. Can do Tuesday OS Bike/Race, 1 x 20' race, other 2 bikes are aerobic.
    • 12/30 - do the bike and run tests here for baseline. Complete OS weekend as written.
    • 1/6 - we are OS rocking and rolling.

• Options

I will not have time to do full out season as I need to start IM build on 2/1. Should I load the OS plan to exit early or load ii to end on 2/1 so that I do the latter part of it? Also for both the OS and the IM build do you think I should do run or bike focus? My feeling is that whatever I do for OS between and 2/1 will need to modified a bit to make sure I have the aerobic base to handle the 12 week IM build by then.

• Options

I know we talked during office hours, I like the phase two option (weeks 6, 7, 8, & 9). As important as the OS is, wrapping a season and restarting purposefully is significantly More important at this time.

I do recommend that you select run focused all season and we will see how you feel after four weeks before we decide what flavor race plan to select.

👍

• Options

@Sid Wavrin thanks for the update. I am curious to know if the psoas was bothering you more before or after the big change? Yes to seeing someone. I recommend someone who does ART who can get into the psoas and also possibly assess your mobility in the hips overall. Make sure you warm up before any runs. Easiest way is 15 to 20 minutes in zone 1 on the bike.

• Options
    Long before the changes in fit on the bike. I made an appointment for a call tomorrow. We can take a minute to discuss it then. Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2020 7:15PM

Saving these for posterity...

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - 01/07/2020 Call Notes

Status Check In

BIKE

• Bike fit changes made, pictures listed ^above^; feels good in aero.
    • FTP test last week was same number as always...

RUN

• Long standing problem with psoas...run has been good, but hurts with the short runs.
    • ART appointment yesterday... glute bridges and clamshells to activate the posterior chain.

Bike Changes:

• Shorter cranks
    • Let's do the intervals SITTING UP on the bike in the OS...steady state/recovery in the bars, but otherwise we sit up and work.

Run Changes:

• Warm up before the run by cycling for 15 to 20' on Le Zwift.
    • Focus on running tall to get good from, don't tip that pelvis!

Goal Target: Wants to have the endurance heading into the camp, to do more work.

I think you are on track for the volume camp; the big deal will be to make sure the weekend cycling volume is there...especially one day. Be end of Jan you should be doing 3h Saturdays (added time is bars and steady) and between 90 and 120 on Sunday...then we can add more in Feb!

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited January 8, 2020 5:33PM

A recent observation that may help with psoas issue. I think I am doing a very poor job of activating/recruiting posterior chain specifically when cycling. My pedal stroke feels very quad driven. (Not good. You have seen my quads!) I have searched strength routines etc. that may help with this over time. I'm thinking this may be an opportunity not only to take stress off psoas but maybe there is gains to be had on the bike. Any thoughts? @Coach Patrick

• Options

I like it @Sid Wavrin But I will say that it's (A) natural to be quad dominant on a tri bike with our position and also the "folded" position and (B) it's really, really hard to focus on posterior chain activation at speed.

At slow cadence / slightly higher resistance it's easy. I would suggest you focus on activating your posterior chain & hips before you RUN and BIKE. Here's an easy set of drills you can try to see if you notice a difference. Save the video in a tab on your phone to re-watch until you learn:

• Options

@Sid Wavrin just checking in with you on this week. I can see the numbers are a little bit down as compared to the last few weeks, and I wanna make sure you're doing all right. Of course, you haven't uploaded your Sunday work out yet as I write this but I still want to see where your head is at. Drop me a note when you get a chance.

• Options

I'm good @Coach Patrick. I intentionally backed off a bit this week. Went in to the week pretty worn out. My intention was to do Saturday and Sunday ride followed by a run but In still have pain when running. I did have a longish run last Sunday and then Thursday of this week I did 10.5 miles of STG run course on Ifit. 1:45 ish. That run course is no joke! I'm so glad Tim created the Ifit file. Will be so helpful to have that beta. Tried to run this Saturday and actually had to abort. Feeling some better after a couple days with no running. I 'm two weeks out from starting the IM build so I was thinking of ramping up the swim (maybe 3 to 4 a week) and trying to do shorter runs with frequency trying to get ready for more volume. I think I'm in a pretty good place starting this build. Should be around 100 to 105 CTL starting the 12 weeks. I can get there from that point. Spring is on the horizon here which will allow us to get outside. Any insight you have on the next two weeks will helpful. Thanks for checking in. I have a half marathon my schedule for the end of Feb. We will see how that shakes out.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - just checking in here with you...great call today.

• I have loaded a week for 2/3 and the 12 week Bike Focused Full plan to IMSG.
    • I made edits to the runs, with some distance notes for Feb to keep us on track.
    • I added a split run on Thursday, with a progression to see how that goes. At least one of those runs on the treadmill to keep it simple on your body.
    • Goal is 5 runs a week.
    • Mondays are still optional. If you aren't feeling awesome on monday, then take it off or keep it simple. Monday isn't a day where fitness is made.
    • I added in your race/events and the camp, so we have those accounted for.

I think the 13.1 at the end of FEB should be TBD for a bit to see how the run progresses.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Sid Wavrin See ^above^  in case you missed it. Nice week this week...I still want more frequent shorter runs than the beefy ones, but I appreciate that you are getting the work done. And three days of good biking F/S/S is legit. Oooh...I like that FSS training to get your TSS done!

Keep it up!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Yeah Thursday got busy and I wasn't able to split run and still wanted to cover the mileage. So that did turn into a beefy one. The bulk of the running has been pretty slow. Tired Sunday, so no brick... and so it goes. Psoas definitely improving. Did not start to be a bother until late into Thursdays run. I will attempt to just plug away at the plan starting this week.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Trying to guess your schedule it looks like you sometimes visit this thread on Monday. I'll try to get ahead of you. Good week. Tired by Sunday so sort did active recovery with a 90 minute mountain bike. Kept the runs shorter and more frequent. Running is less uncomfortable. I was actually able to get a little quality in on Tuesday with the run. I will just take that as it comes and see what I can do. Should be able to swim and run Monday to start the week. Looks like the upcoming week is more of the same. Can do!

• Options

I am thinking of juggling this week a bit and running the Half marathon on Saturday. The running is feeling pretty good. Maybe tilt the week toward a run focus and do a long, lower IF challenge type ride on Sunday. I was able to get a solid 21/2 hour ABP in after a pretty hard 4 plus hour ride with a brick run. Coming together I think.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin that's excellent. Remember to be flexible with your Friday. Not sure if you are committed to the freight train or not, but maybe take it a little lIghter so Saturday gives you a little more in the tank?

It will be nice to see how you feel on the bike the day after... I mean, you and I both know it's going to suck, but you have the fitness to handle it.

Be sure to warm up before the half and set yourself up so that your last 3 miles is your best 2 miles!

• Options

@Coach Patrick The 1/2 marathon went good. I got caught up in the fun and went out pretty hard and just hung on. Very windy day which I would guess cost about 10 to 15 seconds per mile. Ran a 1:38 which I feel pretty good about. I was not at all sure about run fitness or speed and this is a good sign. Rode Sunday after the race about 5 hrs and 15 minutes. Felt decent. Monday left me with pretty sore legs. Not going to test either bike or run this week as I have recent events that get me close enough.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin

13.1 Recap - Really steady HR on the run. 1:38 steady 13.1 puts you in the low 1:40s For a Half which is competitive. And gives you a shot at a sub 3:50 marathon in an IM (perfect world). For IMSG a sub-4 marathon isn't out of reach (a PB on a wicked tough course?). 😱

Tucson is road bike. Consistency on both the bike and the run has been really solid. Note for the future; starting the consistency on the bike first, then the run, has really worked. See the chart here for the last 365 days...

Friday Freight...super good "tenderizer" for your weekend...keep it up!

Proposed Run Progression...check it out and let me know how you want to handle the timing (it looks good to me. I prefer the Bigger Run / Recovery plan than the "4 weeks at 35 miles" play right here. Especially given elevation quality you have.

• 3/2 -- 27.5 miles
    • 3/9 -- 30 miles
    • 3/16 -- 25 miles [Camp Week]
    • 3/23 -- 40 miles
    • 3/30 -- 25 miles
    • 4/6 -- 40 miles
    • 4/13 -- 25 miles
    • 4/20 -- Taper
    • 4/27 -- RACE

Also, we continue to rest on Mondays. If you _had to_ you could go to the pool and do a pull swim (pull buoy, no paddles) for this time, but I would save that for the final two weeks for when you need swim time!

#onwards

~ Coach P

• Options

@Sid Wavrin

This week 40 mile run target. Ride for fun on the weekend, FFT is okay, but otherwise we are absorbing to prepare for more work.

Starting Next Week (4/20 OMG) we go 5Min Power Hack for 6 weeks. Currently your 5' Target Range for Improvement window is 278 to 258, 268 is the average. So we'll aim for that but all things about 258 will work.

Simple Cheat for this is riding with a bike computer that shows Normalized Power for the Current Lap...so when you hit lap on the interval in Zwift (as long as it won't mess up your connections) you can know that you are above the number. Alternatively, we can write up the workouts for you in game (I don't have them right now) and we go with that. Let me know.

So Tuesday is 5', Thursday is a race or whatever you want, Friday is FFT if you got MoJo and then Saturday is the long easy ride with the short hard efforts. Here are your current targets and I will fill in which ones on which days in the plan. ** Note these will change, so we should check in **

• 10" power = 609 to 629; Target 8 reps...minimum recovery is 12 minutes.
    • 30" power = 458 to 478; Target 6 reps...minimum recovery is 12 minutes.
    • 45" power = 389 to 409; Target 5 reps...minimum recovery is 10 minutes.
    • 1' power = 350 to 370; Target 5 reps..minimum recovery is 5 minutes.
    • 3' power = 305 to 325; Target 4 reps..minimum recovery is 3 minutes.

Here is the weekly schedule:

• Saturday #1 (4/25): 8 x 10", 6 x 30"
    • Saturday #2 (5/2): 2 x 10", 3 x 30", 5 x 45"
    • Saturday #3 (5/9): 2 x 30", 3 x 45", 5 x 1'
    • Saturday #4 (5/16): 2 x 30", 8 x 1'
    • Saturday #5 (5/23): 2 x 30", 4 x 3'

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - Great call as always! We are excited to see the level of improvement you are making at some of these critical numbers. As I mentioned, this is great motor unit recruitment, and will need to some sustainable endurance canes once you head outside for those longer sessions. Particularly the ones over five hours.

Looking at the short block of time we have between now and memorial day here's what I'm thinking:

Thursday: CRIT Race...do your thing. Let's see if we can't have another 10' power best. 257 last time...maybe 260?

Friday: FFT. Steady ride here. Let's get you to sit at 215. Lock and load, but that's your average target.

Saturday: I just want a 30' effort in here...rest should not be hard. See map for the section I mean. We are looking for a power target of 250 to 255. Set the screen to show current lab normalized power. Hit the live button at the start of the claim and you'll be able to track the power the whole way up. Even at a screen item for elapsed time so you know you're getting close to the 30 minute mark. This way you can push the first five minutes at 260, for example an anchor a nice high normalized power to sustain across the rest of the climb.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6029573/uploads/410/Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 11.24.13 AM.png There was an error displaying this embed.

Sunday warm up 30' on the bike easy. Find a route and get the badge if you are missing it. Then run 90 minutes, no more.

Monday: Warm up 30' then we are doing 5 x 1' with 7' rest after each. 1' intervals are 360 for #1, then 350 -ish for the rest of them.

Tuesday: Easy Jog of 30 minutes with stretching and core.

Wed AM is test day. We are looking for 20 minutes at 263. Saturday you will have done 30' at 255, so we aren't talking crazy here. Break the test down as 8 / 4 / 8.

• So 8 minutes at 260
    • 4' to hold it as it get's mentally tough.
    • 12' done is the "downhill" marker where you know you can hold on but it's going to hurt.
    • Last 5' is where we push a bit harder....and micro rest if needed For 5 or 10 seconds in an easier gear.
    • Last 2' we get after it. Nothing left, gotta do it.

Thursday to Monday is just time on bike, loving life. Smiles, touring, ZONE ONE fun.

Keep me posted!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick I ended up getting over 250 miles on the bike with a bunch of climbing over the weekend. The last 5 or six weeks has been a good bike block I think and I know I have made some good gains here. Zero swimming, and the running has found the back burner. Still running but not a focus. So I think I need to step up the run in some way while still maintaining the bike and now I think I will be able to add in some swimming with the river warming up. The next big event coming is Al's Rainiering attempt. I think that is June 22. Hopefully I can make that day as I start Jury duty that week. I'm hoping I don't get called that day? I'm planning on being ready for it. I think that will be 10 plus hours on the bike. So I'm not sure what to structure. I want to be ready to race in the fall just in case something frees up (1/2 IM?) and at the very least do the team race that Al is working on. So I'm thinking maybe loosely following a 1/2 plan starting June 1 with some modification and flex to do fun stuff that comes along? I really don"t want to lose the momentum that I currently have with the bike, but I need to rev up the run again also.

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - the solid black as well. I think it's fair to say you did just about as much work on the bike is anyone else on the team. And decide against as well. The stronger you get, the less easy it is to make progress. You did a great deal not only in terms of intensity but also depth.

The real question about the run remains your health. While the run is taking a back burner, I was hoping we would see more healing than you have reported. As we return to more of a balanced program, We need to be cautious not to overreach.

Given the lack of run frequency we've had in the past few weeks, I think the first place to start is modifying one of our run durability programs. Lots of short frequent runs with good strength/core as well as some flexibility balance by quality bike and some Endurance on the weekends should help you maintain gains on the bike while regaining on the run.

Know if you're down for that type of a progression for the next four weeks and then I can build it up for you. Out of curiosity, do you have time to ride a little bit longer during the week or just on the weekends?

• Options

1: I think my body is ready to rebuild run. I have a fairly good base to work from. About 500 miles for 2020. Would like to have at least 100 miles in June. Just a matter of what is the best way to do it.

2: I for sure can ride longer during the week. I would like to think I could still race once per week (or twice). Maybe something a bit longer? Not sure. Should probably have an endurance ride with climbing each week to get to Al's Rainier on Rainier event on the 22nd of June. Plus I love doing that.

3: You could either fill in the schedule or give me a general outline for what you think is good and I will take it from there. I tend to modify a bit anyway it seems.

4: Keeping in mind that if a half iron or even a full were show up in the fall, I would certainly consider it. So I want to carry enough fitness that I could Build to that in 8 weeks or so if the stars aligned. Given the situation it does mot need to be text book.

Thanks @Coach Patrick

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - got you. I laid out a basic plan using our run durability template for the month. I didn't include the adventure that you have planned with Al because I'm not sure if its Monday or Sunday (not that weekdays matter.

In the current template you will have bikes on Wednesday Friday and Saturday, and then running most other days. There's some variety in the training program which I'm hopeful you can sustain. I'm not sure if the effort will match where you are at, so let me know once you take a look at the plan as to whether or not we need some adjustments.

In the current template you will have bikes on Wednesday Friday and Saturday, and then running most other days. There's some variety in the training program which I'm hopeful you can sustain. I'm not sure if the effort will match where you are at, so let me know once you take a look at the plan as to whether or not we need some adjustments.

I like the idea of seeing 20 miles a week, but I don't want to force it in the first week. Much more about frequency right now than anything else.

For the next two weeks if you have an opportunity to extend your writing, that could work. I'm not sure what day of the week works best for you. The short term fix with an eye towards the volume at the end of the month has me thinking that extending your Friday ride could be beneficial. That would put two long rides back to back which, as we know, is very effective. But I don't know about your schedule...you could FFT and then get out for 1.5 to 2 more hours in Zone 2...

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options

@Sid Wavrin Thanks so much for the call...really enjoyed catching up and am excited to see where you are at as we progress through this uncertain season.

Takeaways:

• Bike plan for Al Tuesday
    • Half Plan to End of August (with some epic riding in there)
    • Potential "Long Course" focus for fall

Additional Notes:

Changes made to Final Surge for you...so check it out!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - so great to talk today, thank you for your time. Always good to catch up and hear what the rest of the world is doing. It gets lonely here inside the bunker! 🤣

Per your comment about the challenging back to back Tuesday Wednesday sessions, I adjusted the week to split the bike in the run. This leaves you with a swim on Wednesday in an optional run. We then roll into the freight train, which is your Sweet Spot replacement WKO.

Essentially the weekends are gravy. You can follow the guidance, or you can go off the beaten path (for real!) And roll your own ride. You've got a great bike Fitness and you should totally be enjoying it right now. Not sure if you want to go for Rob peters and she's segments, or just challenge yourself on a particular climb… But now is the time to do it.

Season Thoughts:

• Focus on DIY Tri Thru August
    • Focus on vMCM Thru OCT

End of October is MCM....going to run 26.2 (not looking to PR).

• September is start of the marathon focus
    • Split runs in early Sept for two weeks.

Keep me updated on your progress with the new weekly layout when you can!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Sid Wavrin - I got your Check-In update, and have pasted it below. This is part of our monthly process to stay connected, so thanks for filling it out!

Rankings are as follows:

• Swim Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Bike Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Run Fitness vs Last Month: 1
    • Body Comp vs Last Month: 2

Next month's focus: DIY tri as an event not a race. After that probably balanced marathon to prep for virtual Marine Corps Marathon and running focus for a while. With no races the intensity has dropped. Workouts not feeling great. Push through to the other side!

Just wanna make sure you're not too stressed out about the workouts. You did a ton of training earlier this season, and a great deal of quality work as well. In other words, the training was really dense. Most athletes aren't on such a rapid path for a growth, and there's a price you pay for that. There needs to be a complementary time of your season where we are active but not so dialed in to goals and achieving them on a daily basis.

Your current strategy is all about maintenance. We want a daily program that keeps you on track so that it's not mentally costly. At the same time, it will prevent us from losing some of the games that you made the season, even if we arent holding onto them super tightly.

I think you'll enjoy the simplicity of the run focus when we get there! 👍

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick DIY end of the week for me. (8/29.) I'm not sure what to do after that. I may have the virtual Marine Corps Marathon at the end of Oct. but I'm not even sure that is great idea. Maybe? If so I guess maybe a balanced marathon plan until then or run durability? I really want to make sure I maintain bike fitness so I'm not sure how run focused I can afford to get. I plan to enter Nov.OS assuming STG half will happen in the spring. (I realize maybe not but for now...) I fought hard for bike fitness and don't want to step back too far. So looking for any thoughts you may have.

Thanks

• Options

Hey, great question! I would recommend launching your exploration of the off-road seen on your new gravel bike as part of that marathon build. So after DIY, let's go balanced marathon plan.

We don't need run fitness for speed, but we do need run fitness for durability. That means we have to find a way for you to stay active on the run inconsistent. You'll need to do a few longer runs to be ready for the virtual Marine Corps, but not long + fast runs (that's where things get wonky).

Been on the balance plan that might mean an indoor session on Zwift during the week and then taking a vantage the weekends to do some more epic cycling. You can modify that structure by shift in the long run during the week if you wanted to do back to back ride adventures on the weekend. The plan is pretty flexible like that. And once you dial it in, I'm happy to review it and give you feedback through Final Surge.

Our goal will be to enter the late fall with solid running in the virtual marathon and your legs as well as consistent cycling. Remember the entire year is not about always progressing forward. Sometimes holding in a specific place is often work enough. Think of this part of our season as the "plank" portion of the year. Sure, doing 10,000 Burpees is work, but holding a plank for a long period of time is too! 🤣

~ Coach P

ps thanks for being a part of Office Hours today!