Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Hoff's Holiday Weight loss/Accountability Challenge - 2019

Put down that Halloween Candy and get on the scale, that's right, fall has crept up on you, less daylight, no A race in sight, and it's getting tougher to see your toes over that growing mid-section - the Holiday weight loss/ accountability challenge is here to the rescue!  

Unlike last year, to try and get more people interested here, the focus is not only on massive unhealthy weight loss in 6.5 weeks. I'd like to stress the accountability and the idea of using the challenge to stay even and not gain weight during the holiday season. 

the rules are as follows

Initial weigh in is Nov 4 & 5

post your weigh in, ideally with a pic, of self or scale

choose your target weight that you will weigh when the contest ends in 6 ½ WEEKS (DEC 22nd).

The goal here is to encourage you to either maintain, or hit a reasonable goal weight through the holiday season and enter the OS lean & mean!

The rules as per last year’s challenge:

1-Declare your current weight (ideally with a posted pic)

2-State your goal weight (Goal Date is 6.5 weeks away - Dec 22)

3-everyone reports weight weekly to this forum thread (Monday morning weight ins), we are on the honor system, but in any given week, the admin(me) can ask for a photo of scale (with toes on it!)

4-Admin will make a shared google sheet with target weights by week and post a link here.

5-If in any week you are more than 2lbs ABOVE ANY intermediate weigh-in, you must take a non-flexing, picture that shows your face and your fat gut holding a sign that says "I am a fatty fat guy" (or "I'm a fatty fat girl"). This picture must also be posted to the Dashboard on EN as well as the EN body comp Group Me

6-If you miss the final weigh-in goal weight, then you have your choice of the following 2 "Insults"

6-A-Do a Whitecastle (or similar) slider 6-pack 1.5 mile run on a track. Eat a slider then run a lap (6x). All on video, to be uploaded to youtube making sure you tell everyone why you are doing the punishment.

Note: if there is no "White Castle" near you, you can substitute with Jack in the box jr hamburgers, or as a last resort, McDonalds Cheesburgers

6-B-Run a sanctioned "official" race (with a minimum of 100 competitors) at a minimum 5k distance (but could be longer or a triathlon) All on video, to be uploaded to youtube making sure you tell everyone why you are doing the punishment in the following required attire: 

Men: wearing nothing but a pink speedo (or mankini), socks and shoes (and race number belt if necessary) - NO SHIRT. 

Women: wearing nothing but an American Flag String Bikini, Red Fishnet Thigh Highs (ankle socks if you want) and shoes (and race number belt if necessary) - NO COVERUPS of any kind

7-if anyone has any ideas of a different punishment for the weekly or final challenge, I'd love to hear about it and see if we can broaden the scope.

Here is the weight Loss Spreadsheet

note the instructions in the pic below - 

the ONLY data for you to change is to enter your weight in the new space (on Monday's) in your column. Please don't change anyone else's data or any data below. 

I will endeavor to take screen shots (unless there's a backtracking feature anyone knows of) on a regular basis.

Reminder that the punishments will be enforced!!!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

@scott dinhofer

Wait, speed eating cheeseburgers is a punishment? If I hit my goal I'd call it a victory lap.

• Options

Here’s my video from a few years ago

https://youtu.be/F1eybd24Koc

• Options

@scott dinhofer thanks. I am up for it.

• Options

I'm in-

I will weigh in tomorrow and post... it's gonna be ugly though

• Options

Okay, this is metric kilograms (because Australia), and I want to loose 5 pounds by 22 December. This is just under a pound a week.

• Options

@Peter Greagg - just posted the link to the sheet above.

goal date is monday 12/23 - 8 weeks from monday 11/4

• Options

@scott dinhofer Thanks for organising this again Hoff.

I adjusted my column to start at my current 147.5, and my goal is 142.5 (but hoping for 3 more pounds to get below my weight when I started University in 1970).

😁

• Options
    edited November 4, 2019 10:00AM

OK guys, I am in... and I've got a LOT of work to do. Here is today's weigh in.

the fact that I am under 200 lbs, is laughable and a joke as I look like complete shit. BUT with the challenge and NOS, it's gonna be all good!!

Goal weight is

• Options
    edited November 4, 2019 3:51PM

Okay I'm in. I did not take a picture but weighed in at 219lbs this morning. I'll go conservative and say I'll lose 14 lbs that will put me at 205. When I say conservative it's because I've already lost 41lbs over the last 3 months, got a little sloppy with the eating and plateaued recently.

Right now I'm the lightest I've been since I was married 12.5 years ago. I really want to hit sub 200 for the JOS so I don't have to push the weight loss as much while training harder.

EDIT: There are only 7 weeks between now and 12/23. I adjusted my divisor but left other as I did not want to change anyone's numbers.

• Options

@tim cronk Your point is well taken. I'm probably the biggest train wreck at EN in this regard. 10 years and still crashing and burning so this year doing something different. Actually trying for a lifestyle eating change and to come in to the OS in shape so I can actually train to race. There's been a couple bumps in the road with Thanksgiving being the worst

Having said this I realize that my words don't really hold any weight as I've lost weight before in my IM treks. This is why I've been holding off on a post until I was sub 200 a number I've not seen since Lake Placid 2004.

• Options

To @tim cronk 's point, he is 100% correct. And I think ever time @scott dinhofer starts a "weight loss challenge" he get's the same shit thrown at him.

I think since we are all EN members, we are all heading in the same general direction... "how do I get faster". We all know that "getting faster" has many components i.e. getting stronger, lighter, increasing VO2 max, staying healthy, etc. And we log all this all this shit. God knows we have a lot of data dorks in EN. So if we want some fun challenge to log our nutrition to get us back on track, then it's a good thing. I know I can make better choices... I've been a fat vegan (Beer and Fries) for a few weeks too long. If this keeps me more mindful during the end of year holiday season, then job well done.

All that being said, yes, if you are crash dieting and starving yourself for some magic number to appear on Dec 30th, then yes, you are an idiot, and you are the comic above.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2019 2:17PM

I am a total train wreck! after IMLP I went on a binge for a month.. bad... very bad.. I've been struggling to maintain fitness as I explored medical issues, how to best deal with chronic High Hamstring Tendinitis? MRIs showed a hernia, so now on top of PRP injections I had to get hernia surgery and I am in the midst of a 6 week standdown from running, and am allowed to start doing easy spins on a bike trainer. No I didnt hit the Vasa daily as I hoped to, mostly becuase I could't lay on my stomach for three weeks, and yes, I lost control during some trips and too much shit while enjoying some european travel

So here I am saying that last xmas I weighed 149, I didn't keep on it after xmas and yes I am weak and a miserable loser because I always end up a train wreck... maybe this year will be different? maybe it won't! but at least I'm out here fighting the fight and getting the emotional support of others in the process. No room for haters on this thread and yes, I only have the results at the end to show it or not. Whining about not getting a kona slot won't be allowed unless I show up lean and fit way ahead of race day and maintain that. that's why you've NEVER heard that from me!

so... where are the other panzies that need to lose weight and should get on this program now?! (@Steve boer @Andrew Lustigman @Dave Campbell (who lost a ton last year and is my idol!)

and if i can get to that number and continue to lose AFTER 12/24, then i am a winner...

game on!

• Options

okay, I just got on the scale and wow, I am fucked! 170.2 I don't think I've weighed over 163 in about 4 years, so this is very bad...

i am setting my goal weight for the competition at 162, but I have a number in my head that I know i can do based on past experience in 8 weeks... Lots of work to do..

• Options

No Hate here. Respect for those participating. Only some good natured teasing with the Cartoon Diet Train Wreck into Thanksgiving/Christmas. On one hand I think you guys are crazy attempting weight loss this time of year, on the other hand it beats throwing in the towel. I like the change away from a huge un healthy fast weight loss to a slower healthier approach and a choice of just maintenance through the holidays.

• Options

@tim cronk I think this is the BEST time to do it... because even if you think your nutrition is spot on it wont be. So if this train wreck challenge keeps better food choices top of mind, then mission accomplished.

• Options

Per @Coach Patrick 's podcast i just listned to "if you need to lose 20lbs by race day this summer, now is the time to attach it... "

• Options

For me I've found I can lose weight for 4-6 weeks of the OS maybe 8 tops.  After that the cutting of calories makes it hard to do the workouts, particularly when losing significant or even 2-3 lbs a week.  I find it even harder to do it during the IM build.  I just gravitate toward eating enough to maintain my body weight during this time.

@scott dinhofer So what you are saying is that if I need to lose 40lbs I should have started even earlier.

While I'm typing I might as well put it out there. I have tiers to success to keep me motivated.

200lbs - By JOS - Matching my 2004 weight

<180 - by Calgary 70.3 July 26, with 175 being the target.

I had super secret goal of 188 by JOS but got derailed around Thanksgiving a bit. Nothing crazy just did not lose any weight for 12-14 days and not so great last week either. I figure these three weeks cost me 6-12lbs in weight loss and reduced the probability of a 16X number for Calgary. Honestly I would be content with anything sub 180.

With a strong push here in the first couple weeks I can still make the Calgary goal. Soon my focus will be on quality bike workouts which require some increased calories. Up until now bike workouts been whatever effort I can/want to put out type of ride for 45-70's just to move the weight loss along.

• Options

In. I'm disgusted with myself. Thanks Scott for launching and nudging.

• Options

Here's my mid week check in. I'm off to a good start down 2lbs. The weight has been bumping around I was even lower yesterday with some water weight loss so I'm confident I've lost most of this 2lbs and set my self up well at least for this week.

@Andrew Lustigman welcome aboard.

• Options

I'll be the first to comment as a women. I am working with a coach and our goal over the winter is to maintain my weight. It currently is working. I have found now that I have hit menopause that keeping weight off is a thing of the past. I have to count macros, but I am doing okay. I like having someone to be accountable to. I like the app MyMacros+. I report weekly to my coach with exercise, sleep, hydration and macros and then she adjusts if need be. I weigh in on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat.

I prep food on Sunday and then enter my meals in the app the evening before so that the next day I just follow what I have put in the app. It makes life so much easier and since I am a bit of creature of habit, I can copy a day and then just adjust as needed, because I usually have the same breakfast and lunch and then change up my dinner.

Just something to think about.

Reach out if you need more info.

• Options

who is the erson named @PatrickTestCBTeam McCrann ??? seems like the user account has a bad name??

and yes, welcome @Andrew Lustigman - i will be in manhattan once a week this winter and plan on chasing you down with a cattle prod!

Great Start @Gordon Cherwoniak - I am on lockdown, looking at every piece of food that passes my lips with deep scrutiny!

• Options

Checking in at 146.0, down 1.5 pounds.

• Options

what a wasted week. basically the same weight-

Really strong, easy first half of the week, but the last 3 days, with an unorthodox schedule killed me- had to eat when and what I could, based on time and availability-

@scott dinhofer is the spreadsheet new / correct / accurate? There seems to be a lot on wonky info there.

• Options

@Patrick Large your initial weight in F3 was input as a number which was to be copied from the input in E3 I believe I have corrected the formula.

Additionally the problem with the spreadsheet is that everyone else was using 8 weeks for the challenge and there are only 7 weeks (See B20, E20 for Patrick, F20 for Peter) so your weight loss goal (9.07lbs, cell E19 for Patrick) is not matched up with the gal on December 23rd,191.1 lbs cell F10 for Patrick.

I have adjusted all the cells in row 20 to be dividing by 7 weeks. It will make your 1.3 lbs, cell G4, red bigger to 1.4 as this is the amount you are over you current weight goal.

• Options

Here's one the weight challenge as I really did not want to get on my bike yesterday evening but did a 60' ride.

Weighted in at 215lbs today down 4 for the week.

@Peter Greagg Solid work I think you have one of the tougher challenges here given you are pushing for a weight from when you were in University so coming in fairly fit. Unlike me who had a lot a weight still to lose and the lbs come off much easier.

@Patrick Large I've had to adjust my thinking on the weeks where I don't lose weight so I don't fall off the rails. You had a tough schedule in the back half of the week and did not gain, still a win in my book. It's not good for the current challenge but you are still within the margins of error.

• Options

down .9lbs... upping the WKO and seriousness of lack of food!

good week one all, @Gordon Cherwoniak stay focused, GREAT job this week

• Options

Missed my mid week check in and the weights been bouncing around down, even, down. Still losing but not as dedicated this week to what's going in, down 1lb so far.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2019 6:47AM

Down 2lb this week - been thinking of you guys, so I measured everything I put in my mouth LOL.

But the next two weeks are a danger period for me.

Not sure how they will go.