Home Announcements 🎙
Options

IM Texas Rally

RnP, I'm trying to find out if we are having a rally for IM Texas or not. I have to plan my schedule a year in advance due to physician ER call commitments and want to schedule myself out during that time if we are having a rally. Some others are in the same boat about dates. Help!

Comments

• Options

Jeff,

IMTX rally will be 4/8-10.

FYI, PnI are both going to IMFL to make it a planning weekend. You'll see us push out tons of '11 stuff in the weeks after the race.

• Options

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about doing MH 70.3 in Galveston on the 10th. Any chance that this could be incorporated into the rally? Maybe even have it a day earlier, 7th-9th, and then do the race. I don't know if a 70.3 is a good idea at that time or not, your thoughts? I am also doing IM Louisville and wondered about rally for that also. Sounds like I want to rally everywhere, huh. Thanks.

• Options
    John and I are local. Feel free to let us know how we can help including putting people up. We live about an hour southwest from the Woodlands.
  • Options
    Posted By Jeff Braaten on 02 Nov 2010 12:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about doing MH 70.3 in Galveston on the 10th. Any chance that this could be incorporated into the rally? Maybe even have it a day earlier, 7th-9th, and then do the race. I don't know if a 70.3 is a good idea at that time or not, your thoughts? I am also doing IM Louisville and wondered about rally for that also. Sounds like I want to rally everywhere, huh. Thanks.

P has the lead on this. Your day earlier + Galveston will likely not happen. No rally in Lou, our dance card is more than full

• Options
    Jeff, I assume you will be driving to the rally? If so, would I be able to ship my bike to you? Or, alternatively, Penny, could I ship it to you? I could just envision brother and his lovely (not) wife leaving the box out in the breezeway till I get there.....
  • Options
    I feel a rally coming on...more info and details in Nov. Penny (and all) thanks for the offer of help!
  • Options
    Doing IM TX as well and have a dumb question: is rally the same thing as a mini-training camp?

Per Jeff's comment, I know of a few other groups using the Galveston 70.3 weekend/race as a big training camp weekend. Again, not sure if that is good timing, but others are thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    @ Sheryl no problem shipping the bike here and me driving it down. We have a smallish airport here in Abilene so picking something up isn't an issue for the most part. PM or email me at jeffbraaten@gmail.com as the dates come closer and we can set it up.
  • Options
    Posted By Tim Niedecken on 03 Nov 2010 03:04 PM

Doing IM TX as well and have a dumb question: is rally the same thing as a mini-training camp?

Per Jeff's comment, I know of a few other groups using the Galveston 70.3 weekend/race as a big training camp weekend. Again, not sure if that is good timing, but others are thinking the same thing.

Tim, you can read about our 2010 rallies here

I know that Patrick chose the date of the Rally to not conflict with Boston, as he's doing that race with many other EN'ers. Not sure how Boston fits with Galveston though.

• Options
    I'm volunteering this year at IMTX to recon the course, mentally accept it as a challenge, then sign up on Sunday. I'd love a rally and will plan to be there. Great idea - let's do it.
  • Options
    Okay, after some edits, the TX rally looks to be 3/31 to 4/3 (thurs pm to sun lunch time). This way we can do a ton of course riding / volume and then those racing Galveston can still taper quickly and crush it. Full schedule is in the works, just wanted to get the date out there!
  • Options

I'm so vacation challenged!!!!  Might have to quit the job. 

• Options
    DANG! Looks like I'll have to miss the EN camp, as I leave for Spain that weekend for my cycling camp.
  • Options
    Okay - I'm in right now. Let's see if life cooperates.
  • Options

Another IMTX M50-54 here in Houston. Rally-up. Tall Texan HIM on Mar 28 is another option. 

• Options
    Patrick,
    Any updates on the sched for the IMTX rally?

The reason I ask is that I'm doing an olympic on Sunday the 3rd: http://www.onurleft.com/ONURMARK_PRODUCTIONS/Gateway_to_the_Bay_Tri.html
    Odds are that I'll have to miss out on the long rides or whatever. Bummed about that but I like this race.
  • Options
    Hey Gang,

You guys are welcome to ship anything to our place. PM me and I'll send you the address.

I heard good things about the race Bob is talking about. Second year for it.

• Options
    Penny,
    It's a neat race and kind of modeled after the Escape from Alcatraz race (it's a qualifier for the Alcatraz race). It's a boat start and you have to swim the 1500m back to shore. They had a couple of hiccups in their first year but those are all getting changed. Onurleft puts on some great races.
  • Options
    Folks -

I need to get going and plan this out. I am looking for a central location from which to stage the rally (or at least point folks to book a hotel) and then a bike shop as a resource center, etc. Any ideas for me? Thanks in advance!!!

P
  • Options
    Patrick,
    If you plan on doing the group rides on the IMTX course (which I assume you will) then you will want to centrally locate somewhere in The Woodlands area. You do not want to get scattered around Houston because we have some of the worst traffic on the planet (The Woodlands is about 25-30 miles north of Houston for reference sake if folks didn't already know). The Woodlands area can get a bit clogged during peak rush hour times but it's not too bad. There's a town called Conroe that's borders The Woodlands to the north that might offer some cheaper hotel accommodations. Go further north of The Woodlands/Conroe and hotel and restaurant options dwindle down to nothing.

The best bike shops around Houston are unfortunately in Houston. There are a couple I've heard of in The Woodlands such as Bikeland and Bike Lane but I don't know much about their reputations or triathlon knowledge. There is a kick ass tri shop in Houston named Tri On The Run but it's 35 miles from The Woodlands. I'll check with my Woodlands peeps to see what they can tell me about bike shops up there.
  • Options
    Posted By Scott Alexander on 15 Nov 2010 10:14 AM

DANG! Looks like I'll have to miss the EN camp, as I leave for Spain that weekend for my cycling camp.

Wow...I'm feeling so sorry for you!!  NOT...

• Options
    Patrick - I did some research to find a hotel nearby IMTX to be a volunteer this year. From what I can tell, The Holiday Inn Express at "24888 I-45 NORTH THE WOODLANDS, TEXAS 77386, Hotel Front Desk: 281-681-8088" seems to be only about 5 miles from the race site.

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/the-woodlands/wdltx/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=EmailLink-_-WEBEmail-_-WDLTX-_-HotelDetails#Directions

Hope this helps.

Joe

• Options

You may also consider the Rez Inn (address below).  Its a Marriott property on Market Street.  Its a suite hotel (and offers 1 and 2 bedroom suites all with full kitchens).  It is also a few blocks from where T1/T2 will be and also right off the run course.  It may cut down on overhead gtting back and forth for the camp.  The area also has a handful of restaurants and a mall all within a few blocks walk.  I've never stayed there but when I regstered for IMTX I looked at all the local options and thought his place would work best for me and my sherpa.  Looking forward to the camp, then Galveston and IMTX .

Residence Inn Woodlands  / Market Street

9333 Six PinesDrive Woodlands, TX

281-419-1542

• Options
    Thanks folks, am on this!
  • Options
    Tri on the Run and Bikesport are two great triathlete-friendly LBS in Houston (not the Woodlands).

Conroe also has a HUGE outlet mall in case anyone is bringing SOs that want to do some shopping. That is, of course, in addition to the big mall at The Woodlands.
  • Options

Patrick,

Word from my Woodlands peeps is that Bike Lane is the best shop in The Woodlands: http://www.bikelanehouston.com/

I also have a question for you that I will send in an email later.  Which EN email goes to you?

• Options
    @bob, all emails go to me (don't ask). image

working on hotels....of three I called only one in woodlands knew of the event...like I was from outer space or something...
  • Options
    @bob, all emails go to me (don't ask). image

working on hotels....of three I called only one in woodlands knew of the event...like I was from outer space or something...
  • Options

Thanks... I'll shoot you an email later to the admin@ address.

As for hotels, which did you call? I would think EVERY hotel in The Woodlands would be well aware of IMTX. The Residence Inn that Rich B. mentions a few posts up is where I'm staying for IMTX (yes, I'm local but I don't want to fuss with traffic and everything that day). There's kind of a limited number of hotels up there and while there is only one host hotel (Marriott Woodlands Waterway), the others should know what's going on.

• Options
    Patrick - can I mention this IMTX rally to non-members? We are having a Tri-club meeting tonight and we have about 10 athletes doing IMTX this year. At the pool today, I even met another who would be interested in attneding our rally. I looked at the "camps" on our web-site and the IMUSA and IMWI camps infer that it is free to EN members so maybe it's only for us. So I'm holding off until I hear something. We meet once a month so I'll have Feb and March to announce if I can.

Thanks, Joe