Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 3 bike and brick

My schedule dictates starting a day ahead of the regular schedule. Felt good today for the 3x10's

10' warmup

3x10' 95-100%(241/243/248) with 3' easy

10' 80-85%(208)

1' cooldown

Warmup/cooldown/easy ~158

The 3 min rest and doing them after a break on the weekend seemed to make them easier than the end of last week.

Still hitting the numbers.

Running rehab coming along pretty well.

Cheers

Ian

Comments

• Options

I seem to recall this coming up last year. I think the 3x10 is wrong. Are you on the intermediate plan? I think it should be 2x10.

I'm on the advanced and my workout tomorrow is 2x12.

• Options
    I am on the intermediate and it says 3X10 (4") at Z4. Should be quite a wko!
  • Options
    Matt's right. A lot of discussion about this last year. It should be 2x10'. Unfortunately it occurred after many of us East Coast folks who workout crazy early had already done the 3x10'.
  • Options
    Saved by the bell! 2 x 10' it is then for tomorrow. Thanks Matt!
  • Options
    Already did the 3 X 10' over a long lunch break, then the 30' run. A beautiful fall afternoon here, 58 degrees and sunny. Not a very productive afternoon at work after that workout. At least that gave me a lot of leeway in my calorie allowance. I thought that was a big jump in Z4 time since last week, but I drank the Kool-aid. Must do what plan says to do. Do not question.

Finally, after using the 310xt for a couple of months, have this Garmin figured out. I set a data field on "lap power" and the lap on 1 mile, and I'm hitting the numbers almost right on the dot. Pnorm of 167, 168, 168. It was frustrating trying to hit the numbers that jump around so much on the "power" data field, but the lap average smooths it out.
  • Options

I'll be gone for wedding this weekend, so wanted to get a head start on the week. I'll try and jam everything in four days. 

Every once in awhile, I like to go for broke, let it all hang out. 

22' @ .97 

3' Recovery

2 X 12' @ 107% & 104%

Entire workout (220 watts):

Duration:   1:00:50

Work:       803 kJ

TSS:       95.2 (intensity factor 0.969)

Norm Power: 234

VI:  1.07

Had my best CX placing yesterday, work is paying off. One race left for me on Dec 5 left which serves as the State Championship. 

• Options
    @Hayes...seems like you should bump that FT. Do I hear 230?
  • Options

@Neill - Good job on the 3x10' - that's what I am planning to do tomorrow even if maybe 2x10' seems more like the intended pattern. I've been setting up my 310XT to view Lap Time, PWR, Lap PWR, and cadence.

Maybe I should go to bed early to be better rested for Week 3.

Rubin

• Options

I'm on the beginner plan and had 3x8's this AM.  Good ride, had to drop some Z3 time to get the full run time on the dreadmill.  Early day in the office today. 

Question for you guys, I'm on the beginner outseason plan as this is my first outseason coming off my first year of tri and endurance sports racing.  So far the workouts have been pretty easy.  Should I switch to Intermediate or stick with the beginner?  Is the hard work yet to come?

• Options
    My legs are cooked from the cross races this weekend. Hip flexors mainly, think the 20 long run ups had something to do with it. Anyhow after seriously considering going back to bed got the 2 12s done albeit pretty weakly at 268 and 272. 12 minutes is way longer than 8. Like deja vu. Actually felt pretty good on the run.
  • Options
    Feeling great after yesterday's off day. Hit 2x12 @ 273 and remainder at IF 0.85. Finished hour with IF of 0.9. Legs tired but not completely cooked. Suspect have some room to go up with watts but will wait till I earn it with next test. Not going to get sucked into the mindset of needing to overreach on these intervals too soon based on feeling good as I know how sneaky the build up of fatigue will be. Was at same place last year, went too aggressive too early and 1/2 way through O/S had problems holding my intervals let alone continuing to build the FT. "Patience" the word of the O/S for me. Short on time so run comes later today.

Agree Chris that 12' way longer than 8', especially that 2nd 12'. Feeling the mental aspect taking a more prominent role in getting through these intervals.

• Options

Did 2x12@230 watts. Skipped the 85% and ran 3.5 miles in 24 minutes with 3x20" strides. The bike intervals felt plenty hard to me but the run felt great.

• Options

Dang, I should have checked in here before I did my workout!  3x10 followed by an easy 25 min run.  I donated blood yesterday so that didn't make the bike any easier, but the run was cake.

• Options
    Yup, still hanging in there in 5th gear...
    18' warmup
    10' @ 223W, IF 1.077, 87RPM
    10' @ 219W, IF 1.058, 87RPM
    15' @ 179W, IF 0.865, 88RPM
    Total bike 60' @ 185W, IF 0.895, 84RPM, TSS 80.2
    Run 30' @ 8:36 pace (8:18 NGP), IF 0.767, HR 136, cadence 87, TSS 33.0
  • Options

Team, I felt good on the bike this morning.  Ran 4 miles afterwards (but Garmin battery died at the 1.5 mile point.)

Now that we have the two week warmup out of the way, it's time to roll up the sleeves and get busy!  Good luck to all today!

Entire workout (218 watts):

Duration:           1:01:01

Work:                798 kJ

TSS:                  81.6 (intensity factor 0.899)

Norm Power:    230

VI:                     1.05

Pw:HR:             n/a

Pa:HR:              n/a

Distance:          21.612 mi

Min      Max     Avg

Power:              0          314      218      watts

Cadence:          39        131      85        rpm

Speed:              0          25.8     21.2     mph

• Options

@Hayes, time to stop sandbagging and bump the FTP... 22' at almost FTP, then 2 x 12 at more then 5% over FTP.

I nailed the 2 x 12' sitting up and then finished out an hour with 18' at 85% in the aerobars. The 30' EP run was really easy as I actually stuck to EP for once and did 6 strides.

• Options
    I'm in the advanced group, but switched from 2x12 to 3x8 last night. I guess watching the Redskins getting pounded wasn't enough motivation for me.
  • Options
    Wow today was fun. 2x10 minutes and the rest at 80-85% to equal 60 minutes. Did the 10 minute warm up and the 3x3 with one minute rest in between. Struggled a little but expected.

Did my swim yesteday followed by a heavy leg lift day and then did my 25 minute easy run with strides also. So when I woke this am I was feeling a little tired in the legs. Nailed the second ten minutes and was ahead of my FTP but the first 10 minutes I really struggled.

Not sure if I had to do another ten minute set it would have been pretty.

The pain cave was alive and moving. There are four of us that are doing this plan so it is fun to push each other to the brink of cardiac arrest.
  • Options
    Nice! I switched to the Thursday workout cause I didn't have time for 3x10' since I had to be to work early. Nice to see I actually did the right workout! Got it done.

@Dusty- I think the Beginner workouts are generally used if you are coming off an injury or really really starting off. If you are finding the workouts too easy switching it up to Intermediate should be ok. Just know that everyone finds the start "easy" and it gets harder as it goes along. But, if it's TOO easy then you should probably switch image Can always go back!

Way to get it done everyone!
  • Options

@Hayes - I don't care what anybody says - those are some damn nice stats bro!

Now, go ahead and bump it a few!

SS

• Options
    Posted By Chris G on 16 Nov 2010 06:46 AM

My legs are cooked from the cross races this weekend. Hip flexors mainly, think the 20 long run ups had something to do with it. Anyhow after seriously considering going back to bed got the 2 12s done albeit pretty weakly at 268 and 272. 12 minutes is way longer than 8. Like deja vu. Actually felt pretty good on the run.

Saw the run up pics. Those were fookin awesome! Some of our course became runnups with the rain.

• Options
    Tuesday Report: Tired legs, but got it done today! Really hanging on to the PM for motivation. I wouldn't keep it up without it.

10' @ 161W, IF 0.98
    10' @ 165W, IF 1.00
    15' @ 141W, IF 0.85

Next up, a power walk to the park with the puppy!
    Woof!
  • Options
    Posted By Matt Sullivan on 15 Nov 2010 05:12 PM

I seem to recall this coming up last year. I think the 3x10 is wrong. Are you on the intermediate plan? I think it should be 2x10.

Oh well, this is my first go around in OS. Really wasn't too bad. I am doing the intermediate plan but as I have mentioned am not starting the OS run plan yet and just doing 5 easy runs a week until I prove that I can hold together without injuring myself again.

I was kind of on the fence as to whether I should go with  the advanced plan but took Rich's advice and started in intermediate. Figure I will just try and stay on high side of the intermediate for a while and see how it pans out.

Cheers

Ian

• Options
    Posted By Matt Sullivan on 15 Nov 2010 05:12 PM

You are correct Matt this did come up last year.  I seem to recall a little dustup about it as well.  2 x 10" sounds a lot better to me after I did the 3 x 10' last year.  Thanks Matt.

• Options

Great job everyone.  I haven't done mine yet; hmm...3x10 as planned or 2x10...

• Options
    my early new years resolution: try and be a more active participant in these forums. since i didn't have a PM i didn't think i was adding much value as everyone seems to post power data. well, things done changed ... i just received my shiny new powertap in the mail yesterday, so by next week i should be posting a bit more often.

question: now that i have the PM, should i retest or should i just wait until week 8?

on to the workout: i did the 3x10 monday night as i have something going on tonight.
    bike (on trainer)
    5' WU
    10' @ z4, avg HR 148
    10' @ z4, avg HR 148
    10' @ z4, avg HR 151
    8' @ z3, avg HR 133
    2' CD

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/56911896

run (on treadmill)
    25' @ z1, avg HR 155, pace 8:57

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/56911897

actually felt strong during the last 10' interval which means i don't think i pushed myself hard enough during the initial bike test. regardless, i feel stronger today than i did yesterday. that's all i can ask for.
  • Options
    I did the 3x8 with 2 min rest this morning. (Adv plan) I just checked and now it says 2x12. I printed it out Sunday. Oh well. I will keep it up. As a note: I am getting stronger. I am a HR athlete but have a trainer that records power (tacx iMagic) and I can see my power numbers getting higher while my HR stays the same. I can't wait (well sorta) for the next test to see how far I go at max effort for 40 min.
  • Options
    I did the 3x8 with 2 min rest this morning. (Adv plan) I just checked and now it says 2x12. I printed it out Sunday. Oh well. I will keep it up. As a note: I am getting stronger. I am a HR athlete but have a trainer that records power (tacx iMagic) and I can see my power numbers getting higher while my HR stays the same. I can't wait (well sorta) for the next test to see how far I go at max effort for 40 min.
  • Options
    Not feeling very chipper today. Still have the residue from from 10k Sunday floating around my legs. Oh well still have work to do.

1st 10' @ 1.016
    2nd 10' @ .988
    15' @ .831

Not sure what thread was talking about the 80-85% stuff but yes it is more mental than anything.

@Chris Martin, you can do the 3 sets and it won't kill you, but I wouldn't do them just because they were written that way.
  • Options
    Today was a good day. I know it is early, but I feel like I am making progress.

1X10: 235 (1.034)
    1X10: 236 (1.038)
    1X30: 193 (.854)

60 min total: 202 (.917)

Cruised the run. Felt strong throughout both workouts. Gonna put this effort in the "happy place" bucket in my head for recall in darker moments down the road.