Home General Training Discussions
Options

Hoka One One

Comments

• Options
    Just ordered a pair of Bondi's yesterday to see if they are really "ALL THAT". Will report back...
  • Options

You blew through them in 200 miles?  That scares me as I am a much bigger guy than you.........wife might not like this at all.  talking to people who have been running in these and they say they can get 2-3x the mileage of their other shoes.  Think I might just use these for my long runs 1hr+

• Options
    I have way more than 200 miles on my B2's and they're still in great shape. I think Dino meant he was just moving onto another pair and not that they were worn out.
  • Options
    I am not sure how to feel "worn out" shoes, but mine were starting to show more wear then I liked. Check out these picks of the soles. Pretty heavy wear under the balls of my feet and at the heal a bit of left foot.

When the tread starts to disappear, I thought replacement was in order. Did I move too soon? Based on my training log, which I am religious about, these have just a shade over 200 miles on them....

• Options
    Did my first run in the Bondi B's this morning. I think I am a fan...

Looking at Dino's pic above - yeah - that would be getting near my time to retire them (or just use for shorter runs).

Would anyone consider doing an IM in Hoka's? My IM pace will probably end up in the low-mid 10's (EZ pace 9:30). Not like I need my racing flats when drudging along at that pace...
  • Options
    I am gonna do IMCDA in my Hoka Stimsons. FYI - The shoes above got me through IM Cal and Wildflower 70.3....
  • Options
    @Dino - I have the sme kind of wearpattern as you...the left outside heel is the first to go. I generlly get new shoes when (using your soles as exmples) the yellow stuff is worn all the way down to the red stuff. On my Kinvaras, its when the black is all gone at the outie edge, exposing the white.
  • Options
    After reading all this, I ordered a pair of bondi b's which came today. I guesstimated 11.5, probably could have gone with 11 but they are fine. 20 minute run on the treadmill today to try them out and.... I think they will be great. I have been battling stiff calves for months and that didn't seem to be a problem today.

Are people wearing these for all the runs, races, etc? I can see using them for slower paces but not sure about speed work up to HMP?
  • Options
    Dino, mine pretty much look like that too but according to folks that have been using Hokas for a couple of years the wear pattern like that isn't structural. That's to say the little knobby tread things don't mean much and there's still plenty of support.
  • Options
    So.... How do you when they are shot? I am asking cause I don't know... Before these I replaced about every 150 miles or three months, whichever came first.

How does everybody else decide when to retire spent kicks?
  • Options
    I plan on going a few hundred miles in mine.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how the hokas will hold up but I replace running shoes when the white EVA starts to look permanently compressed or actually starts wearing because the overlying rubber is completely gone. For training shoes I think about replacing at 300 miles, but some shoes have gone up to 500 ( brooks Ravenna ). For lightweight racers 150-200 miles. I weigh 150-155. I think the lighter a person is, the longer a shoe will last.
  • Options
    My shoes tell me it's time to replace when after a run (long or short) my feet will hurt. Just a general ache. Usually this is around 400 miles. The Hokas are supposed to go double that. That being said my tread looks like yours after about 200 miles but there is no foot discomfort. I only wear my Hokas for recovery and easy runs. I have done one long run in them and didn't like to gushy feeling for that long. But I love them for the recovery runs. It's like free miles, from a wear and tear standpoint.
  • Options

I am thinking my plan is the same as Steve's -- using for recovery/easy and not long runs.  At this price point I am not keen to replace them 3-4 times a year.  Maybe come full on IM training I eat my words and use them for long runs 

• Options
    I had to do my 90 minute long run yesterday, the day after my 90k/10k ride/run RR, due to weather issues. I was pretty shelled, legs were tired, and was pretty sure I wouldn't hit my paces( or maybe even complete the run). I thought I would give the hokas a try... Long story short after the initial 30 minute z1 I hit the 20' z2 and 15' z3 paces without any trouble on legs that felt fresh. No soreness after the run either. I'm shocked. The only thing that didn't feel good we're the 4x20s strides, but on reviewing the data I was actually right on usual pace for these too, just didn't feel fast. Right now I'm tempted to wear the hokas for any run down to at least hmp pace.
  • Options
    The point of the Hoka's is to use them for long runs.
  • Options
    Or maybe I eat my words the next day...

Bob - makes perfect sense.

Where do you get beat up the most in any run each week (i.e., where will the Hoka's do the most good)?

• Options
    They're ultra running shoes after all.

Any run over 75 minutes really starts to beat me up. That stated, I use Hoka's on almost all my runs.
  • Options
    I think that holds true for us all - the LR does the most damage therefore it makes the most sense to use them...

I was trying to be too economical...
  • Options
    Where have you all ordered your Hoka's? I just re-read this as it is time to get my race shoes for IMFL.

My B2's (13.5) have been very good - sadly they look like Dino's with not much more than 150 miles on them (190# hurts the shoes).

I wanted to get the S's (Speed) as they look "racey" and the B2's in blue are rather dorky (I feel Smurfish). I'll do some googling for the B2's in a different color but would appreciate anyone else (Besides Bob who chimed in already) if you have tried both the B2's and the S2's and which you preferred.

Again, I am going to be anything but fast - hoping to stay at sub 11:00 pace for IMFL.
  • Options
    www.trisports.com and www.roadrunnersports.com are two options for ordering on line. I prefer the the Bondi Speed - they are a little wider in the toe box. Love these shoes.
  • Options
    My last pair was ordered thru runningwarehouse.com, a friend of mine has a discount code that I got to utilize.

I, too, love ths shoes!!
  • Options
    Thanks Patricia and Scott!!

I am a RunningWarehouse junkie (I ordered initial Hoka B2s there) -- there is a code prevalent on the 'net that can be found for 10% off (works on Hoka's). I don't want to get the Haus in hot water so will not post it. Only problem with RW is they only have the blue B2s...

I think TheTriShop is where I will order. Save 10% if you sign up for their elite program ($9.95).
  • Options
    Jeff, if you aren't lucky with sizes at the places above, try Zappos. I orderded my Bondi B's there (because I didn't know if they were going to be right for me and they have a great return policy) and if I remember correctly they have a lot to chose from. Running with mine at IMAZ image
  • Options
    I get them from TheTriShop. I believe they're the largest Hoka dealer in the US right now.
  • Options
    Thanks Danielle/Bob -- appreciate it!
  • Options
    Question for the group --- how do they run for sizing? True? Large?

What has been your experience?

Thx.
  • Options
    Joe,

One thing I like - they carry 13.5!

I have found they run fairly true - a bit wide if anything.

I am between a 13 and 14 depending on the shoe. With these being a LR shoe (and for IM with feet swelling possible) the 1/2 size extra is ideal for me.
  • Options
    True to size for me.
  • Options
    I wonder how many Hoka folks we have!