Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Accountabilty - What Workouts Get You To The Start Line

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    As Rian said, it is much better to add in the planned walk breaks. It is not a lolly-gag walk, but a good paced walk. I experimented last weekend with20" walks and only slowed down a few seconds per mile. It is amazing how little time you lose and how much better the legs feel.
  • Options

Posted By Bruce Thompson on 06 Nov 2013 08:37 PM

Hey IMAZ racers...Bruce Thompson here. Sorry to hijack this thread but this seems like this is where all the posts are for IMAZ so I thought it more likely that you'd this here.   I'm volunteering at the race this year so I can sign up for 2014.  I'll fly into in Phoenix late Thursday night after the team dinner (too bad), have business meetings in Scottsdale on Friday and will be around all weekend.  I'm staying at the Country Inn & Suites 808 N. Scottsdale Rd in Tempe.  My cell is 847 951-3090.   On race day, I'll be working T1 in the am and will be at the last aid station on the run course from 7-10 pm.   You can be sure I'll be cheering for anyone in an EN kit while dispensing your favorite culinary treats.  Then I'll head on over to the finish.

Anybody going for a final swim early Saturday am? I might bring my wetsuit and go for a swim before the volunteers meeting at 9 am. I will probably go for a run on Saturday afternoon and drive the bike course too.  But if anyone needs any last minute Sherpa help with anything, give me a call.  I'm happy to help and will have a car to run errands.

Finally, a friend from work who lives in Phoenix invited me to go to the Tribe Multisport event that Patricia mentions below.  I'm going so I hope to see you there.

Bruce!  That is awesome of you to offer sherpa duties! image  I do want you to know though, that only racers wearing a chip may swim in the practice swim in Tempe Town Lake Saturday.  They are very strict about that.  There is no other time to get in the water for non racers either.  I volunteered last year and was bummed to know I couldn't test the waters out.  Sorry you will be missing the dinner.  

• Options
    Trish - thanks for heads up about the swim.  I guess I'll leave my wet suit at home.
  • Options
    Spent the week-end in Tempe. 4,000M OWS in Tempe Town Lake. The visibility in the water is less than zero. I could feel a draft in front of me, but couldn't see the feet that I was trying to draft off of and I was wearing clear goggles. Water was calm when we started at 7:30, but the wind added a lot of chop by 8:30. Pro sightings included Matty Reed, Matt Charbot and Jozsef Major- would have like to have had a tow rope attached to one of them to make my swim faster. Ran 4 miles on the course Saturday night and one loop of the bike course this morning. Jozsef blew by me like I was standing still on the down hill side, but we all had to slow down for an accident investigation and he gave some encouraging words before disappearing like a streak of lightning. Unfortunately, the accident had resulted in a fatality and we had to ride right by the covered body right near the shoulder - so the rest of the ride was rather subdued. Stay safe while preparing for and during your travel to Arizona and give an extra hug to those you are leaving at home when you come out here. Looking forward to seeing everyone this week-end.
  • Options

Hey fellow IMAZ teammates! Seven days and counting! Don't know how I'm going to be able to sleep in the next week, but will give it my best shot. Looking forward to meeting you and racing alongside you as we represent Team EN!

I just posted my Race Execution Plan for IMAZ in the Race Execution Discussion forum. Sorry that it is so incredibly long, but I would appreciate your comments, feedback, suggestions, etc if you have the time. Thanks!

• Options
    Pat-my daughter had me freaked out as someone had posted on FB that a cyclist was the fatality sunday-thankfully within an hour that FB post had been deleted and found out it wasn't a cyclist. I had a female pro from Norway rocket past me on McKellips saturday-we got to chat at the stoplight-she was grateful that I scooped her on the OWS sunday.

Looking forward to seeing everyone thursday eve at team dinner!
  • Options
    Quiet day here at the firehouse so far...spent the day reading through race execution details and reviewing my race execution plan. Looking forward to meeting everyone in person later this week!
  • Options
    I just want to send a shout out to everyone...it was great to put faces with names out in Arizona! I didn't get to spend as much time with my EN peeps as I would have liked (staying an hour from the venue and racing with about 20 from my triclub and local tri scene made it tough) but I do want you all to know how awesome it was to be a part of this thread and learn from everyone's input!

A special shout out to Al Truscot whose race plan was very helpful to me personally and who chatted with me quite a bit at the practice swim!

Mad props to Betsy Kantor! You were a great race captain, and all your efforts are very much appreciated! image

Happy Recovery everyone!
  • Options
    Congrats to everyone on great races. Like Trish said, was really great to put real faces with the cyber personalities! Enjoyed meeting evryone, will look for you in the Jan OS.