Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Jeff Wisot Year One Micro Thread

edited April 5, 2017 2:17AM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Here's your personal Micro Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your WHY and Goals

Coming soon...see homework below!

Your Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more each of the plans on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 04/04/2017

• Now: Load ADV EN Full Plan to end on 4/23

• 4/24: Load the IM Transition Plan to end on 5/21

• 5/8: Load EN Half plan to end on 7/16 (we’ll work you through Syracuse 70.3 aiming at ChelanMan Half). 

• 7/17: Transition / Rest Week

• 7/24: Load Big Bike Week plan connect with coach re cycling volume

• 8/7: Load EN Full plan to end on 10/8 for IMMD.

Coach Contact Points

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. You can schedule all calls with me for these times online here. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One.

• Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season.

• End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you.

• End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two.

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members websiteintercom chat button 
We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here.
You can schedule additional calls with me online here -- we simply ask that you keep this to once a month.

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / 0-- First 30 Days on EN.  If you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out via the chat icon. intercom chat button

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Your Homework

Tell Us Why You Choose EN & Your Season Goals

• Please reply below with WHY you chose Endurance Nation and WHY you train/compete.

• Whenever possible, please identify your goals -- time, body composition, completion...the sooner you put them down the sooner we can get towards achieving them. 

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    04/04/2017  Call Notes / Follow Up: 
    • Top goal is to qualify for Kona. Kids are all grown up and has time and fitness to tackle the challenge. 

• Solid resume thus far, so likely needs to make some last minute tweaks into TX (and nail a race plan) before focusing on EN style training for the rest of the year. 

• Week 17 of your IM plan is on tap, including a Run Race Rehearsal and other goodness...so go load that up (instructions ^above^) and post any questions you 

Learning / Resources

• Heat Acclimation guidance here
    • Race Report links for IMTX (and overview stuff) under Resources / Master Racing Pages / IMTX here.
    • IMTX Forum to find the other racers is online here.  You can jump right in and say HI!  Note there's a race weekend "text group" that we'll set up (you'll get an invite closer to the race) so you'll be able to find/connect with the Team there. 
    • What about tapering? So hard to predict, but a brief article here. You can also review critical Race Week info here.

Action Items: 

• Get Powermeter and Heart Rate monitor playing nice with the 510 and loading to Strava. 
    • Post a race picture of your bike (or as close to current set up) so we can give feedback.

• Options
    Why I chose EN?
    Was searching for a race preview in IMT and found you guys, and listened to 4 keys talk, some race preview from coach Patrick's victory, and the offer of a trial month, and with a month to go, I thought why not!

I train and compete because I can! I have always been a high energy, high capacity, highly motivated individual, and put my energy after college into my career and family; but now that the kids are grown and career has had more than it's fair share of investment, I have found it healthy to decompress through triathlon. I got the bug, and have continued to improve, but Kona has eluded me. So, I'm going for it! My wife fully supports me; and I have a green light to proceed. I got my second 70.3 WC roll down slot to Chattanooga, after going to Australia last year, and loved it btw! Time is good for now, body comp. is fine, I just want to learn to execute more efficiently and qualify for Kona!

I got my power meter and heart rate monitor working yesterday; (April 7) but trained in pool and trainer for various reasons; cold and time. Busy today and tomorrow with work meetings, so I'm pushing long rides back to Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, instead of Friday, Saturday, Sunday. 

I'll get the picture up shortly!

Thanks guys!!
  • Options
    @jeff wisot - That's right the IMTX angle...super excited to give you more info on that race. And great RRs there on our IMTX page. Many Varsity EN peeps have raced there, so lots to learn from. 

You are fortunate with the circumstances, but fortune favors the hard-workers who can execute. Methinks Kona is more of a question of WHEN.... :smile:

Can't wait to see more of the data. Thought of you today as I was working on my PM that was dropping out all weekend and driving me mad!  

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @jeff wisot - Great call yesterday. Really glad we debriefed those epic rides...lots to learn there and I hope your recovery is advancing!!!

You had some race execution questions, so here you go:

Let me know how else I can help!!

~ Coach P

Ps - hope you are in the IMTX forum too!
  • Options
    Thanks Coach, I am recovering! Took yesterday completely off, tried to eat to replenish! W/O gettin crazy! Watching my figure, ya know! Was on the website last night and listened to a great webinar with the nutrition guru and you!
    Lot's of good stuff there. In fact ordered some scratch and I'm gonna try it out this weekend. Working on writing out my nutrition and race plan, actually cannibalizing another EN member's!!

Hooked up with team on forum and got some good tips! Tom Glynn had suggested a disc wheel cover from wheel builder, I checked it out and ordered it! 
    BTW, he is a beast! A biking and running machine! Looks like he could win IMTexas this year. I read his RR, and he's a gamer!
    Part of me wishes I had another 5 weeks to tune up, calibrate, test and tweak some of these execution strategies, w/ nutrition, power, pacing, heart rate, etc. but hey the race is next week! I'll be ready when the rolling start happens!
    I'll definitely follow up with these links, and do my best to implement what I can.

I'm enjoying the journey and appreciate all I'm learning. 

Thanks for the call, the links, and all the help.

Jeff
  • Options
    Coach Patrick, Had a good training block today, fitting workouts around a busy weekend! Pushed a little hard on the swim, but I couldn't resist being with my Master's buddies; they really push me! Had a good ride, and really zeroed in on nutrition; sodium, scratch, and perpetuum. Felt good and strong, tried to keep my watts around 175 or 70%, felt great, was a little tough for me to back off on the hills! Tried to keep my heart rate around 120; crazy; I hit both numbers right on with the average.
    On the run felt good, but the 1st mile leaving my house is uphill, so the heart rate was a little high like 10 points, so I tried to slow up and bring it down, but it was dark and I couldn't see my watch, so I just tried to relax, and get in a rhythm. Was doing ok but at the turnaround I saw my heart rate had spiked. Not sure why? I really didn't pick up the pace, it was a slight incline but really not much. I slowed down, and tried to bring it down, but it really spiked up; to like 170-180. 
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    @jeff wisot - Thanks for the update. Pushing on the swim right now is not a problem...it'll help the taper and get you sharp. 

Great job on that ride...you are falling asleep at 20mph on the bike, and that will be 21.5+ at IMTX without elevation. Nice!

As for the run HR, no idea. Almost looks like a tech issue...but you could also have "popped" and be done. Let me know if it happens again!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Jeff Wisot - Ok, putting my notes here for you.... :smile:

1. Looks like you didn't adjust your plan after your race. Inside EN you control the levers on your plan, and looking at your Season (under My Plan) you were supposed to load the Post IM Transition plan.

2. As I mentioned at BRP, your fitness is there. Super high. We can help a bit to focus you, but really your biggest win will be the mental game around execution. If you can get that right, you are going to fly on race day. Our full race execution stuff lives under Resources / Master Racing Central / etc. Here you go: Master Race Execution Page (Half & Full)

So as you prepare for the Half at SYR and Chelanman, execution should be top priority so you have the confidence heading into IMMD. 

You can book a time with me here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/weekfour

Have a great weekend!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Jeff Wisot - Great to talk to you yesterday...thanks for taking the time while on the road to connect. Can't be easy to tear yourself away from the Hawaiian scenery!!! :smile::sunglasses:

Here's some info and resources for you...

1. Get the baseline values for the workouts - I agree. You can test in all three sports using the guidance in on all these pages for the swim, the bike and the run

2. Going to do IMMD - I like that idea of you going to IMMD for your big race, with IMC being the bridge. IMC is a focus on great swim and bike execution...and nutritional excellence. The run isn't a priority at all. 

3. Right now your year is shaping up as follows: 

• Chelandman - 7/16
    • IM Canada - 7/30
    • 70.3® Worlds - 9/9
    • IM Maryland - 10/7

So here's the annual plan for you: 

Here's how you load up a training plan, using the image above and making sure you do the math on setting the proper end date. 

And as for referring folks to the Team, first....THANK YOU! The best way is to go to Community > Refer a Friend. Basically you tell you friends to go to www.endurancenation.us/friend (you can't view the page as a member but they can) and they can sign up. Then everyone wins!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Jeff Wisot - Good to talk...I appreciate your attention to detail, especially re your race zones...I hope I can help you out here...so here we go:

1. I impersonated you and updated your Bike POWER and your Run PACE zones in your profile. You will now see them next to your training plan on the My Plan page. Power from your bike test segment (FTP of 295) and Pace from an extrapolation of your 10k tri pace to a 10 mile road race time of 1:07:30 -- that was my "coachy coach math" in full effect. Seems about right, but you tell me. 

2. On your actual HR Zones, we need you to get your HRM dialed in so we know it works...new batteries, wet contact points at start of exercise, etc. Please confirm. 

3. Your HIM Bike then Run Execution:
    • First 15 mins to get HR down to 125-ish.
    • Second 15' switch to power, stay close to Upper Bike Zone 2 (210 Watts)
    • Remainder of Bike in Zone 3 224-238, with Long Hills @ 255 and Short Hills @ 270
    • Note HR over last 30' of bike, run THAT HR for the first 3 miles while you eat / drink.
    • Then let HR build up as you adjust to the run. Run it out!
    4. Your IM Bike then Run Execution:
    • First 30 mins to get HR down to 119 or as close as possible.
    • Second 30' switch to power at Low Bike Zone 2 (195  Watts)
    • Remainder of Bike Zone 2: 205 - 210, with Long Hills @ 235, Short Hills @ 255
    • Note HR over last 60' of bike, run THAT HR for the first 6 miles while you eat / drink.
    • Then let HR build up as you adjust to the run. Run it out!
    5. Syracuse 70.3® - I just searched the forums here and found a great report from Danielle at last year's (hot) race. Also you can check out this bike file from Ben Collins to see how steady he was despite the early hills...keeping the power down early but up late when the elevation dropped: https://www.strava.com/activities/315206480/analysis 

Please let me know what else I missed. 
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

Advanced Full IM plan; qualified for KONA at IM MD. October 7. Took 2-3 weeks off w/ just a couple rides, and couple swims! Want to get back, but need something to train for! A little lost as far as training and racing, after reaching my goal, and Kona is a year away.
    Plan to do Chile January 14, but it may be off, due to Pope visit. Tough run course!

Your Races

Main Race:

• pucon Chile January 14 2018
    • chelanman july14
    • 70.3 world championship south Africa September 2, 2018
    • Ironman World Championship (TBD) #IMKona_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/30/2017
    • On 11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017
    • On 12/25/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/21/2018
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the Advanced OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Half to end on 7/14/2018
    • On 7/15/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/28/2018
    • On 7/21/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Full to end on 10/14/2018
    • On 10/15/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/11/2018
    • On 10/2/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/29/2017
    • On 10/30/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/26/2017

Coach Notes

Jeff, long time no talk! I am kind of hopeful Chile is out as a season from January to October is ENDLESS and not so good for you. I have outlined how you would ideally train...and it looks like Run Durability Program right now into the OutSeason Plan in January. Then you exit into the EN*Half Plan plan for Chelanman. A brief one week break then we launch you into your Kona prep (thru 70.3 Worlds of course). Going to be a big year for you!

Let me know what you think and let's get to work!

~ Coach P