Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Carl Alleyne Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hey Coach P,
    I start my intermediate half training plan on Monday. Now, although the run is my best segment I'm thinking of continuing my run streak and attempting to hit 160 miles a month for the next two months. First, do you recommended continuing the run streak while on the HIM plan (or should I strictly stick to the plan)? And if you do recommend, then how would you integrate the extra runs into the plan?
  • Options
     I have been following the conversations in the running group, and I am kind of torn. On one hand, you have built some great running momentum. And we want to see the benefit of that with this peak effort. On the other hand, you’re a race is approaching and we certainly don’t want to take away from your ability to race it.

And to be fair, I don’t know what your average weekly volume is right now so I’m not sure how much of a leap getting to 40 miles a week is. Here is what I think.

I am OK with you  striving for the school, but you have to be prepared to stop if there are negative consequences to your overall run health. 

In order to achieve your goal, you need to do the math on what the baseline number of runs guess you review the plan. Then we fill in the blanks with an even amount of running across the remainder of your week.

For example, if the baseline plan has you running 25 miles then we need to find 15 miles. This would be 3 x 5 mile runs During the week. Typically you can add this in the form of a 5 mile run on Monday and another one on Friday, then extending the bricks on Wednesday and Saturday to achieve the remaining 5 miles.

I Deleigh find a way to not run one day a week, or to space your runs out by 24 hours. For example, if you have a break run on Sunday AM, then don’t do on Monday run until the afternoon. 

Let me know what your current average with email just now, and what you think the baseline runs will be once you are in the plan.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

Right now, I'm averaging about 25-30 miles. Last week, I did 42 miles and didn't feel too too bad. Right now, it isn't affecting bike training. We shall see how I feel this week. 
  • Options
    Ok. It’s also ok to see-saw a bit. Hard to believe but sometimes going from 32 miles to 42 miles and back down to 36 miles before another big week is much easier than just staying at 42 for a few weeks. Your body will appreciate the variety, in other words. I will be following along in the Run channel
  • Options
    Hey @Coach Patrick, I’ve seen this on the mobile and desktop sites. For the tues run, what’s the rest period I should be doing? As read it’s “2??_?” Thanks
  • Options
    @Carl Alleyne -  sorry, that’s a formatting issue as sometimes when I enter data it’s not coded properly. That should just read two minutes as in (2’)

Can you tell me what plan that is and the week so I can fix it?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick I figured that was the case. It’s the intermediate HIM plan. 
  • Options

Hey @Coach Patrick ,

Wanted to check in for the AC half and do some prelim planning of the off/out season. My race report is below but I am very pleased with the race and season. My swim still sucks I think due to poor sighting, handling swimming around/with others and wetsuit tightness around my shoulders. My bike power on long rides is still an issue too (I placed a training peaks photo in my race report). Run was good.

https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/25180/carl-alleyne-atlantic-city-him-race-report#latest

Below was the plan for the post HIM.

• On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/7/2018
    • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018

How do we go about the rest of the offseason planning. Here are the things I have planned so far for the 2019.

• The Speed Project (Endurance run race. Will be about 6 10Ks) - 3/31/2019
    • Mallorca Bike camp - 4/13/19 - 4/20/19
    • *MAYBE* Eagleman HIM - June 2019

• Options

Thank you so much for the link, I already gave you some feedback. Right now the most important thing you can do is start direct cover the process. I know it seems like nobody on the team Everett covers from Races, but it’s important.

So the guidance I gave you about recovery for two weeks and then run durability is perfect. Ideally you pick up the out season on January 7 which would be great training for your March run race and an early season half.

Your body will want to work out more, but long-term wise it needs just a little bit of rest before we get back to being consistent.

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick ,

How's it going? My run durability program ends on 11/4/2018.

• On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018

Although, to be honest, I haven't ran at all since the 12th because I'm trying to decrease the inflammation in my achilles, I plan to start back up in Nov. I've been substituting the running with more biking. I haven't really set up my race plans for 2019 but on the radar is the TSP run relay on the end of march (total of ~10 10ks), the Mallorca bike camp in mid april, Eagleman in June and probably another half in the sept/oct timeframe. It's still in flux.

What should I do I do starting 11/5/2018?

• Options

Sounds to me like we need to be a little careful with that Achilles. Can you tell me if you’ve seen anyone like a physical therapist? Or what you were doing at home for self-care outside of simply not running? Give me a sense of how things are going and then I can make some recommendations. Short version is, we are not under any pressure yet for next year.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I've been seeing a PT for two weeks now. She told me to stop running for now. It's getting better but still very inflamed. I plan to pick the biking/swimming up to compensate for fitness. I figure I have at least another 2 weeks to go before I she'll let me start running.

• Options

That’s not an easy decision to make, but is often the correct one. Make sure you are checking all the things that bother you, include your daily shoes and or work shoes. I often have issues in the summer when I change this into wearing flip-flops more often, for example.

Another great trick is to get those little paper cup from the dentist and fill them up to thirds of water and freeze them. Then you can peel off the paper and massage your leg by holding the cup and letting the ice do the work. This is great for post rides and runs. Please keep me posted

• Options

Hey Coach P, I got a super sprint (which I'm really not counting as a race) and Eagleman in June. Which month do you suggest I start the OS plan?

• Options

January! Would love for you to get the run reestablished but stay healthy for now. Continue to have fun on Zwift until that January 7 start date. Curious to know if you’re resolution will be to go to bed before 2 AM this year!

• Options
    edited January 4, 2019 5:06PM

Hey @Coach Patrick, as I gear up for the start of the Jan. 7 OS, I wanted to get your thoughts on they type. I see there's a bike, run and swim types. Which one would you suggest? I have the run relay race at the end of March but I feel like I have more room improvement on the bike.

Since I don't have a HIM set yet for 2019, I was planning on doing the whole 14 weeks.

BTW, awesome suggestion with the KISS at base ride. I love that ride. May start joining the B group once I can hang at an upper Z2 level.

• Options

100% you should be focused on the bike. You’re too on the team is always about the bike, and part of the reason for that for you was to make sure we can get your run health to be more sustained. If you are going to be successful at this endurance game do you have to be able to survive the running portion of your training. If you could do the full 14 weeks that would be awesome. I am in a kiss ride right now! 😂

• Options

@Coach Patrick What did you mean on the second sentence....."You’re too on the team is always about the bike, and part of the reason for that for you was to make sure we can get your run health to be more sustained."?

• Options

Sorry for that! I was trying to say that year two of training with Endurance Nation is all about building bikes Fitness. We have a “three-year plan“ in the wiki that explains how we help you progress.

My comment about your running health is just that I know you’ve had to stand down a few times because of some discomfort/over training issues. My point was just that focusing on the bike will allow you to get filter while maintaining A slightly lower one load. We just need to get tricky so that we can get you back on track and consistent!

• Options

@Coach Patrick Makes sense. The 3 yr plan is actually one of the forums I did read 😂

• Options

You punk!! At least that and the discord instructions! Looks like an old dog can learn new tricks. Don’t worry I won’t tell any of the ladies.

• Options

@Coach Patrick haha. I appreciate it!

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick , I got an email about filling out my race season to help make the training plan. Here it is:

• The Speed Project (Endurance relay run race. Will be about 60 mi) - 3/31/2019 - 4/1/2019
    • Westfields (local super sprint) - 4/28/2019
    • Tri It triathlon (olympic distance) - 6/16/2019
    • *MAYBE* Waterman's 70.3 - 9/28/2019 - B race
    • Miam Man (HIM) - 11/10/2019 - A race

• Options

Got it! Next time please use the online form here: http://bit.ly/yourraces

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

I have updated your Final Surge Log to make sure you are dialed in for The Speed Project and then to recover / rebound for Mallorca. You can see the guidance below for the rest of the plans. To load "parts of plans" into your account, here is some guidance: https://www.endurancenation.us/help/loading-specific-plan-weeks-into-your-final-surge-calendar/ I can help you as well once we are in Mallorca, post ride, as I am chilling with a beer. 🤣

Your Races

• The Speed Project (Endurance relay run race. Will be about 60 mi) - 3/31/2019 - 4/1/2019
    • Westfields (local super sprint) - 4/28/2019
    • Tri It triathlon (olympic distance) - 6/16/2019
    • *MAYBE* Waterman's 70.3 - 9/28/2019 - B race
    • Miami Man (HIM) - 11/10/2019 - A race

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/18/2019
    • On 3/18/2019 Finish the outseason through to end on 3/31/2019
    • 3/31/2019 Load the  Post Marathon / Half Marathon Plan (2wks) to end on 4/13/2019
    • On 4/14/2019 Load the    Short Course, 20wks to end on 6/16/2019 (but we ride like fools in Mallorca!)
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the  -- Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 7/6/2019
    • On 7/7/2019  Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 11/24/2019
    • On 11/25/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/22/2019
    • On 12/23/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/19/2020

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick , I didn't end up doing that super sprint this past weekend. I was still fatigued from camp and ran around literally all day (3am - midnight) the day before. Would've loved to use it to test my speed out but it's ok......For the short course plan, should I do the intermediate or advanced?

• Options

@Carl Alleyne No worries about missing that race, it’s good to know that you are human! No worries about missing that race, it’s good to know that you are human! 😂 You should definitely roll with the advanced plan.

• Options

Hey @Coach Patrick ,

I'm going to go ahead and the the Waterman's 70.3 as a B race on 9/28/19. As well as Miami Man on 11/10/19.

• On 6/17/2019 Load the  -- Get Faster Training Plan, 10wks to end on 7/6/2019
    • On 7/7/2019  Load the  -- EN Half Run Focused to end on 11/10/2019

Do these two training segments still apply? I'm assuming you wrote this with the thought of the B race being just another training weekend between 7/7/19-11/10/19. Is that correct?

• Options

They can still apply. I guess the real question is what is the goal of your experience on September 28?

I wanted you to do to get faster training plan coming off of the longer runs you done in preparation for the early season with a race as well as your volume at camp. The get faster plan is a nice injection of speed in the midpoint of the year that we can then transition again into longer work.

The way it’s set up right now you would have 10 weeks from July 7 until 28 September to get ready. In retrospect, you could likely do two or three more weeks of a get faster plan before you transition.

When you get a second, give me a little more description of what it is your goals are in both races as a function of performance whether that’s placing in your age group or time. That will help me compare them.

• Options

The goal for the Sept 28th is just to execute properly (Hydration, making sure I slow down at the beginning of the bike and run, etc.). Of course, I'll race hard but I don't care too much about time so I guess there's no need for a full taper