Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Tim Cronk Vermont 100 - DQ'ed Race Report

edited July 26, 2018 9:45PM in Races & Places 🏁⛺
Yes I was disqualified, at my request. Courses are short, courses are long, but the course is the course.  After inspection of the GPS file, it was obvious I missed a 2 mile horseshoe shaped section , I somehow missed a turn and continued on the road which joined back into the course, while this section was .4 miles long, it cuts out 2 miles, later I  missed a turn within 1 mile to the finish tacking on an additional .5 miles which was off course.  So I missed 2 miles of official course and logged almost 1 mile extra of unofficial course.  It is what it is, if I knew it at the time , it could have been rectified, but I never knew until the next day.  My only regret is that it happened with @Steve Boer my pacer ,  I wished it happened when solo, we were a team and he did an awesome job, I assume full responsibility for missing the course.  Below is the email to the RD and her response after I sent it to her a second time. 

Amy ,  
Thanks for putting on such an awesome race.
I know you are really busy in the days afterwards.  However I feel compelled to report the error I made.  I believe I missed a near 2 mile section in the southeast corner of the course off Hunt Rd.  It looks like we stayed on Hunt Rd?  The fact we got lost near the end and tacked on a 1/2 mile , taking a lap up Blood Hill Rd is irrelevant and not on the course.  Enclosed is my STRAVA file showing I was about 2 miles short coming in at 97.5 vs. the average distance of other files inspected around 99.5.
I think I'll keep my belt buckle :-)  but I really think my results should be DQ'ed from the official results.
Thanks Tim Cronk,

Tim,
Yeah, in looking at your file, it looks like you did miss a turn just after Bill's which would have sent you along a beautiful meadow and with a giant climb to get back to Hunt Road.  You missed running through the lowest point of the course!!!
I appreciate your honesty - I really hate to take you off the results, as you certainly ran awesome and would have had a great result regardless of this minor missed mileage.  However, I do appreciate that fair is fair and you've now sent this to me twice so you agree with this.
Will remove you from the official results - but both you and I know that you ran a rockin' race over the weekend!
-Amy

Here is the Race Plan- If you haven't read it/the responses they are gold.  An awesome example of our best tool in EN.
https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/24911/tim-cronk-vermont-100-race-plan/p1

Friday- according to plan , checked into airbnb , met Steve Boer, hung out for a bit, headed to Race, registered, sat through briefing, Scott Dinhofer joined us, pasta dinner at the race, and headed back to the house.  Had a piece of chocolate chip banana bread, went over last minute prep, set the alarm for 2:20am. Bed around 8:30.

Saturday- 2:20am wake, start coffee, eat 2 pancakes with peanut butter/dates , dress, checklist, leave house 3am, arrive 3:30am , sit in car for a bit, check in 3:45am, hang around start, kiss Heather and race start right at 4am.

Race- And so it begins, run a mile, walk a little, run some more, walk up a hill, walk down a hill, drink, eat,  repeat all.  My first 21 miles were my fastest averaging just over 11' miles vs. 12.5' for my estimates.  This was not too surprising, but I was very careful to walk every mile, hard section up or down, or even walk an easy runnable section if I thought I was at that grade too long, constantly trying to get in walk breaks.

Pretty House AS 21 miles - 30 min ahead of schedule, Scott and Heather were here, I had dropped my headlamp into a box at mile 7AS (forgot to go get it at the finish line at 3:37am but they donate them to kids if unclaimed) swapped out my quiver vest for bladder vest, 1/2 sandwich and smoothie, kiss Heather, start walking. Maybe 1 minute.

Horses- First horses I saw were when I was running inside a covered bridge, had three of them pass when inside.  First of many encounters through out the day and night, they pass you, you pass them, get to know quite a few.  They also have 3 mandatory rest holds throughout the day. Definitely a unique part of the race .

Stage Road AS 30 miles -  still 30 min ahead of schedule but slowed a bit as the course got a little more difficult, fatigue starts, and not to mention the pit stop in the woods, thanks for the baby wipes idea in the Race Plan.  Scott and Heather were ready, was around 10am sun out, swapped hat for one that covers neck, picked up sun glasses, sunscreen applied, skratch refill bladder, smoothie, 1/2 sandwich, kiss Heather, start walking.  Maybe 1-2 min max.

By now I was starting to get body part niggles. My biggest concern was my lower back since it popped the week prior vacuuming the truck, turned out to be a complete non event.  Next was quads with all the downhill running, I never felt quads but the vmo muscle came and went by mid race, next I felt the top of my right foot where it joins the leg (Steve coined this the ankle pit) felt like shoes too tight which they were not, it worked itself out never to return, then  came the Achilles which I was expecting, they hung on with a dull roar for the duration, next was a right IT band, which came and went very randomly, for the most part did not effect the race but had my attention and caused a few more walk breaks, lastly and the biggest surprise and biggest limiter was the lower left shin bone, it came on by 30 miles and slowly but progressively got worse for the next 70 miles.

I was still moving pretty good , remembered going through mile 40 in almost exactly 8hrs which is 12' per mile average.  Shortly after mile 40 I took 2 Tylenol for my shin.

Camp Ten Bear #1 AS 47 miles - still roughly 30' ahead of schedule,  Heather and Steve had the AS set up.  I sat down for the first time, clean feet with hand sanitizer, wipe good with towel, let dry a little, re-lube feet,  changed socks and shoes, re-lube under carriage,  had Heather rub some voltaren (topical ibuprofen) on my shin, swapped out vest for handheld, smoothie and sandwich, I was roughly 1/2 done and 9.5 hrs into my day , drank some coke for the first time and would continue from here to finish,  kiss Heather, start walking, probably 5-6 minutes.

Margaritaville AS 58 miles- still roughly 30' ahead of schedule, Heather and Steve AS set up, Heather rubbed some lidocaine on shin, refill hand held, smoothie, sandwich, kiss Heather , walk... 2-3 minutes

Camp Ten Bear #2 AS 69.4 miles - 30' ahead of time, Scott, Steve, Heather at AS, picked up Steve for pacer, change handheld for vest, charger in vest change, pick up handheld light, change hat, sandwich, coke, cookie, more lidocaine on shin although nothing was helping and I had taken a couple advil around 11hrs , took shoes off to empty a few pebbles and put back on,  take pictures, kiss Heather, start walking

Leaving Ten Bear was a huge hill, walked it all, Steve asked about my watch battery,  oh we forgot to hook it up at the AS, hooked it up while walking, as it got dark, I couldnt even get my light on, had to give it to Steve to figure out and turn on for me.  Shin pain was pretty bad and was really effecting my pace, mostly on the downhills, IT band kept flaring up here and there.

Spirit of 76 AS 76.2 miles- down to about 20' ahead of schedule, Scott and Heather , drop charger, picked up belt light, added a longsleeve to my pack and put hat in pack, ate some dolma's, fig newmans,  veggie broth, coke, kiss Heather , keep walking, 3-4 minutes

Shortly after leaving Spirit of 76 I realized I forgot the Mountain Dew I planned to carry, Steve ran back for it, nice little HR spike on his file LOL.

Bills AS Mile 88- on schedule all the money in the bank was gone, Heather was solo, took shortsleeve off and put on a longsleeve UA base layer,  exchanged both lights, chocolate, coke, all getting kinda fuzzy about now, kiss Heather,  keep walking, 5-6 minutes

Couldnt get my belt light on now, Steve to the rescue again. the simplest things becoming more difficult.  Was walking ok but not so much when I stopped. Shortly after Bills is where we missed the turn for a 2 mile section.

Polly's AS 94.9 miles, Heather solo,  ahead of schedule again by about 10 minutes thanks to unknowingly cutting the course but we did not know it at the time, lil food, another Mountain Dew, check fluid, clothes, food, kiss Heather, keep walking, maybe 1 minute

We had purposely kept it short here knowing the 24hrs was possible .  Should have known better because at one point I had done the math (at a walking pace) and it didnt seem possible, then shortly after Bills at 88 it had become possible again.  These last miles went rather painful but quick. We missed a left turn with about 1 mile to go, since it was a ridiculous hill we must have had our heads down and walked right by the huge markers, about a 1/4 mile up this hill we realized it, Steve ran ahead looking for our confidence markers and ran into some guys below us within talking distance, we need to go back down from whence we came, probably 10-15min diversion, back on course and less than a mile to finish.

Finishline - 23:37:05  that is 3:37am - Amy RD was there to give me congrats, and my finisher shorts, and my 24hr Belt Buckle. Big hugs to Heather and Steve, a picture or 2.  Walking back to the care we stopped at food tent for veggie burgers and potatoes.  Back to airbnb house by 5:30am.

Pain Killers - I hate to take these during any race. But I took the first tylenol around 8hrs, then alternated tylenol/advil 2 at a time roughly every 3hrs.  It felt like they did absolutely nothing to alleviate the pain in my shin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1719370829
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2870688754
Here are the files, strava showed a moving time of 22:35
Garmin showed a moving time of 23:04
So I spent somewhere between 34minutes and 67minutes at AS's , this time also included pee stops, and woods pit stop

Weather- was perfect- didnt rain at all - high 50's for start, high 70's during the day, the heat got to a few people middle of the day but most of the course was shaded and breezy, while maybe humid for the west coasters it was nothing for the east coasters, I did start to get a little cold near the end .

Course- Is relentless and I would say a bit more difficult than I expected. I fully expected the hills but there was quite a bit single/track/horse trails that were somewhat technical. 

Crew/Pacer - Heather , Steve, and Scott were amazing.  They kept me moving smoothly and efficiently , couldn't have asked for better.  There is nothing I would do different.  Thank You so much.  I hope to have the opportunity to pay you back in kind someday.

Sunday- Didnt sleep much, all up early, Heather made pancakes, Steve hooked me up in his Normatec, then a full body epsom salt soak, eventually we went out for some Nepalese food which was awesome, shopping for Beer and IceCream, some magic chocolate may have been consumed, and then lots of IceCream among other things.

Monday-Thursday-  My feet have been swollen for days, shin is still a little red but its improving.  The rest of my body feels "not bad".  Havent done a thing except walk up to 1/2 mile very very slowly.

Food/Fluid- Garmin says I burned 8542 calories, that comes out to 87.6 calories per mile, which I believe at the average intensity, its so hard to keep track of all I consumed, I was definitely in the 12-16oz per fluid per hr range for the duration, all of this was sports drink, 3 small cokes, 2 small moutain dews, some veggie broth, I ate 3 sandwichs, 3 bags of skratch blocks, 2 sleeves of cliff blocks, 3 gels, banana, potato, pretzel, 1/4 pbj, popsicle, dolma's, chocolate, candy ginger, 1 oreo, 6 fig newmans, and probably some other stuff I cant remember.  Stomach felt good the entire time and never had an issue.

Relive
https://www.relive.cc/view/1719370829  

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    @tim cronk - assume you are posting the 2nd half of this?

• Options
    Yes it got posted accidentally before I was finished.
  • Options
    Tim, proud of you honesty and as always impressed by your performance. Post picture of the BUCKLE!...
  • Options
    @tim cronk AWESOME performance and super cool that you completed a 100 mile Ultra!  And YES, you absolutely completed a 100, regardless of what you forced the official record to say.  I don't think most "normal" people would have seen a Garmin or Strava file that was within ~1% of the distance and even thought twice to dig into why, given that's pretty much within the margin of error of GPS technology.   Kudos to you for being a big enough of a data nerd to even figure out there was a problem, double kudos for tracking down exactly where the inadvertent problem happened.  And way honorable to track down the RD (twice) to remedy it up to your very high standards.

Yes you had some minor inconveniences with the aches and pains and the shin, but you ran a hundred freaking miles!!!   I've seen what many people look like at the end of 100 miles and it sounds like you got through it a lot better than many/most.

Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!
  • Options
    Wow. Logistics; aid station management; team coordination; body part assessment, tolerance, and management - it takes so much more than fitness and even perseverance to do one of these. This goes up there with your other Peak Performances, no matter the short distance.

The problem with these things, is there is never a limit to what you might consider doing, as we've learned from that thread a few years ago. Running through the Sahara for days, or in Nepal for a week @ 3-4000 meters elevation - there are self-torture opportunities spread all over the planet. I like racing about them, but not doing 'em.

If you haven't checked out this book, it's worth it: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2195464.What_I_Talk_About_When_I_Talk_About_Running

Murakami is a world-class Japanese novelist who writes equally well in English (eg, this book). His description of where his body and mind go after mile 50 or so of an ultra I think'll you'll resonate very strongly with.

• Options
    ps - I get it with keeping the buckle. When I DNF'd Kona 2009, I somehow ended up with a finisher's shirt and hat (I think they gave it to me after I left the Med Tent), which I still have. I didn't wear, but I threw on the piles with all the others.
  • Options
    Wow.  So impressed with making the distance with all the body threw at you! Congrats on your race Tim!  Amazing you managed to niggle out where you missed the 2 mile turn.  Not amazing that you acted on the info.  Thats just who you are.  Recover hard, and big congrats to Steve and Heather for their part in the race!!!  
  • Options
    I have to say, I had no idea what to expect going into this, and itt by far exceeded expectations, and am glad that I was able to be a part of it. Truly incredible. As soon as we started looking at strava we knew something was not quite right. We were short compared to everybody. But then again there was also that one poor soul who had 109 miles 
  • Options
    I think it's clear the RD was ignoring your 1st email and only DQd you because you begged. You ran a 100 miles in about 24 hours. You always lead by an incredible example of focused discipline. I am honored to be allowed to crew for you and tag along on these events. Sorry I couldn't stay all night with Heather, with other family issues pressing in the morning, it wasn't possible. You even have me thinking about this since it's in my backyard, which is a totally scary thought!

Looking forward to seeing the recovery and what's next!
  • Options
    Amazing event Tim, but as others have said, it's the integrity we all associate with you.
    And I second Al's suggested read - I really loved the book.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2018 4:29PM
    Thank you, Tim for posting this and giving us all renewed faith in humanity. It matters. Honesty and integrity are sometime rare. The couple of miles probably does not matter to anyone other than you. Great race. Kudos also to Steve Heather and Scott. Well executed all around. Heal well.
  • Options
    @John Withrow  Yeah I know the Vermont 100 measures a little short of 100 miles, so we were looking at comp files, which ranged from 96-109 vs my 97.6 due to GPS variation and other people getting lost as well.  Steve actually found our error on the file.  Had we know we could have fixed it at the time, just like we did when we got lost in that last mile, must of had our heads down powering up this hill and missed the markings, when we back tracked they were clear as day???  I get the feeling the RD really didnt wanna DQ me, and its not even officially in yet, but I really wanted to catch it before its published everywhere.  Heck you can actually find it quite easily looking at pace of Keatings vs, before and after.

@Al Truscott  yes lots of logistics but made easier with a crew, they actually have a solo division that did drop bags and no pacer. A loop course would be much easier to plan.  I think I am up for another 100 or a stage type race similar to Ultraman or running days but nothing that goes around the clock and keeps going where the guy who wins is who sleeps the least.  DNF vs. DQ  I definitely feel like I finished , I just didnt finish correctly , hence my DQ request and KEEPING the Buckle LOL.  I thought we missed 2 miles but did 1 extra, what if we missed 2 miles and did 10 extra? If its ok to run offcourse miles in place of course miles, well hell I'll just run around a track and forgo the whole deal :-)  I'm glad nothing serious was on the line but even if it was I think I'd feel exactly the same way and be good with it.

@Al Truscott  and @Peter Greagg  Heather caught me right before the book purchase on Amazon and said you already have that.  Me ???  Heather my sister gave that to you and its in Arizona, so I guess I wait till November to read LOL.

@Trish Marshall  Thank You so much !

@Steve Boer  thanks buddy I'd team us up again anytime !

@Scott Dinhofer  Need a pacer?  I'm nearby.

@Sid Wavrin Thanks and I will pass along to Heather as well. Kinda funny I am so honored with all the kudos on FB etc, but on the other hand I'm a bit amazed that nowadays its such a big deal to just do the right thing?  Its like nobody expects it anymore.  There is an awful lot of cheating going on in all sports and I just dont know how people live with themselves and sleep at night. Good Skill to you this weekend in Canada.

@All I remember my buddy Jim Soroka did a 1/2 IM somewhere and he got confused with the markings on the run and turned around early cutting the course almost 2 miles.  He worked his ass off  trying to get a DQ and they didnt wanna hear it.

• Options
    @tim cronk Great race execution and great integrity.  We always see the time being put in for training but you also delve in to the details for planning, nutrition etc to set yourself up for the best race possible.  While you expected some pain throughout the day it seems the shin was over and above what was expected.  Having to run with this from mile 30 on is only more impressive.  If I had to venture a guess the shin would have hurt much worse without taking anything.

The Garmin calories burned is eerily close to your prediction at 8542.  Finally I assume there was no dizziness throughout the race (unless I missed it in the report) as it was a concern going in.

I think you earned the large belt buckle.  Enjoy some down time before your next adventure.
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak Thanks to @Dave Tallo if I find myself not running all the tangents I always think "oh Dave would not be happy with me".  Now, Thanks to our conversations and your nutritional spreadsheet I thought of you often as I was stuffing my face.  A few times thinking o Gordon would not be happy he would want me eating more :-)  Thanks again.
  • Options
    @tim cronk first off congrats on finishing your 100 miler!  Hats off for having the integrity to have the RD DQ you, even though she clearly didn't want to.  :)

It's not uncommon for runners to end up not following the entire course in ultras.  I've done ultras where runners behind me were all the sudden ahead of me.  When I asked how they got there they'd say they missed a turn and cut the course.  I've never thought it was intentional and didn't tell the RDs.  And of course the more common case is getting lost and adding miles.

I always have the course on my Garmin device (currently a Fenix 5) in navigation mode even if the course is well marked.  It has an arrow pointing you in the right direction and will beep when you get off course.  Just last weekend at Speedgoat my brain was pretty fried the last couple miles and I had that "I'm off the course" feeling.  I switched the screen to the map so I could verify I was on the course.  Without it, I probably would have stopped and looked around to confirm.  At the Bear 100, I had multiple runners come running backwards down the course declaring this was the wrong way.  I'd look at my watch and say "nope, this is the way."

If your game for another 100, I'll run the Javelina Jundred with you.  After doing all these mountainous ultras it would be nice to do something runnable.  Wanna get another buckle?
  • Options
    @Gabe Peterson

I remember the RD at Monument Valley saying they may require you to produce your GPS file for proof.  I thought that was awesome, they probably never do , but forces a bit more compliance.  During that race the 5 or so leaders did get lost and came back around to the start, had a meeting with RD and instructions and took back off, was so cool they were all relaxed, very impressive.

I suppose I gotta learn how to load the courses onto my watch, but for Vt100, they strongly recommend against it, files were hard to come by, there was slight changes from past years due to minor construction and AS for horses vs. runners.  If I can get lost on a clearly marked course I am f#ck'd on a sparsely marked course LOL.

Javelina Jundred -  @Peter Noyes said he was gonna do that.  I thought I might make it back out to AZ in time to be there.  But we are staying in NH until late Oct for the Ghost Train and wont make it for Javelina in time. At the moment my shin is going to keep me from running for a few more weeks at least, I have SOS Triathlon in 6 weeks.  Depending on how recovery (shin) and SOS go will determine what distance I run at GT. I am also waiting to see what distance Heather thinks she will do and may end up running a lap or two then pacing her.
  • Options
    @tim cronk bummer about the shin.  Rest up and recover.  I was about a month after the Bear before I could run again.  We've gotta meetup next year for some stupid, insane, epic adventure!
  • Options
    @tim cronk you are a beast.  A VERY honest beast.  It has been impressive and entertaining to watch you build up to and tackle this challenge.  As always, it was done in a well thought out and prepared manner.  I hope the shin continues to progress for you.  Congrats on such a huge accomplishment!
  • Options
    Tim - Your report was such a great read! ... had to go back and re-read!  Your logistics were nailed, and what a support Team! ... Good On Ya to Steve, Scott and Heather!

We haven't met (yet), but you attempting & completing VT100, then self-DQ'ing tells me all I need to know.

If, as they say, adversity reveals character ... yours is the high-water mark ... thanks for showing us how it should be done! ... and Congrats on your Accomplishment!
  • Options

Where can I find @Tim Cronk's race report. I'd love to read it!!

• Options

@Scott Giljum thanks and look forward to your journey to NFEC California 50.

@Rory Gumina thanks and will relay to Heather.

@Patrick Large the RR should be at the top of this thread?

• Options

Thanks @Tim Cronk- I guess reading would help.

I am considering doing my first ultra next year (ApIril) so you may be seeing my name more than you ever thought... I'll be picking your brain as much as I can along with all the other Ultra guys/gals on Team EN.

• Options

Patrick, consider the Austin Rattler. It’s at the end of March and a good group of EN peeps will be there!

• Options

@Scott Giljum I wish I could mate but I live in Holland now :) No worries though Europe has some amazing and "EPIC" Ultra's. I've got a friend here who only runs and only runs trail and only runs Long (100-250KM)!! So I along with EN I am in good hands (I think) 😀