Home Group Discussion-OutSeason November 2010
Options

Week 10 Bike Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    Got it done. That was a tough one! But considering I was on a bike for almost two hours, really pushing it - not too bad! I held back slightly for the 20 minute threshold intervals. Instead of pushing for 100+ percent like I usually do, I was more like 98%, and that small change made it seem much easier (I also think my FTP is still creeping up, so it is getting easier). Here is the breakdown:

First 20': 229w (.98 IF)
    Second 20': 229w (.98 IF)
    120% = 280w
    First 2.5min: 288w
    Second 2.5min: 292w
    Third 2.5min: 284w
    Fourth 2.5min: 294w
    First 15': 201w (IF = .86)
    Second 15': 201w (IF = .87)

Entire ride was 1:55, 218w (IF=.932).

Did the run on the treadmill in the attic. Not too bad, but I was watching the clock for sure! Showered and did some stretching/yoga for about a half hour. Then I had about an hour of snow removal from last night's storm. Pleasantly fried at the moment!
  • Options
    I had been kind of looking forward to this workout. Last Saturday I was only able to hold the first 18’ as written, and was 10% low on everything else. Today was revenge day.

Like Kevin and Jim, I aimed for on the low side for the 2x20’ to make sure I could get through the workout. Everything feel into place today. My only issue was lack of calories. I could tell the half-bag of jelly bellies (about 50 calories) left over from a previous trainer ride was not getting my through the workout. Instead of getting off my bike for more, I just sucked it up and rode through it. And, forgot to get anything before heading out for the run. I was so tempted to walk, but made it through. A bit of a dusting of snow on the ground, slightly windy, sunny, and 14 degrees. Great running weather!

Today was about as mentally challenging as it was physically.

2x20’ @ .964, .957
    4x2.5’ @ 1.2, 1.2, 1.2, 1.2
    2x15’ @ .821, .832

35’ run as 7:31 out (Z3 zone=7:39), 7:51 back (Z2 zone=7:57)

Considered an ice bath, but decided on full compression tights instead.

Congrats to all that survived!!!
  • Options
    I didn't do a trainer workout this morning, went outside in ~50ish sunshine instead. It's supposed to get nasty cold with a "wintry" mix the next few days, so I had to go outside instead of the trainer.

I felt great today, so I did 20 hill (yes, Dallas has some "hills") repeats of 1.5 minutes each targeting ~450w (1.40 IF), then 8 repeats of a different hill at about 2 minutes each for the VO2 work. For VO2, started first half of hill at ~400w (1.25 IF), then hammered the second half of the hill at whatever I could handle.

I know, I know, I've read the overreaching post and I know better, but doing IF=1 (320w), was just too easy on the hills.

I ended up with 2:17 total time, at .93 IF.

Obviously, I need to retest and up my FTP.
  • Options

I've said this before but this time I really mean it. Toughest workout of the OS so far. Got mine done this morning using an erg file on the CT. Hit the 2x20s without too much problem. I made it throught the first two 2:30s but then made the third one a 1:30/1:00 and the last one a 1:15/1:15. I only took about 30 seconds rest on the last two. I rode the 2x15 and it felt pretty good on the first one. I almost bagged the second but talked myself back into it. I actually had gotten off the bike but then returned.

I was not expecting to have a good run and was seriously thinking about just doing EP. I knew Matt A would be crushing it so I decided to take it out at MP(6:50) and see how I felt. Ended up having a great run. Ran 5 miles in 33:20 and it felt very comfortable. I ran outside in 11 degrees but I was plenty warm from that bike.

Nice work everyone!

• Options
    Saturday Brick done.

Um....do we get a finisher's medal for that?

a T-shirt?

Come On, Mannnn......
  • Options

Today's evilness started with the LYC not working, don't know why. Broke out the Garmin 500, discovered it was smoking something good for speed/distance but power seemed right and away I went.

2x20 IF 0.97, 0.98. oh snickerdoodles, its not done 4x2.5 IF 1.15, 1.11, 1.08, 1.08 oops that didnt go well. 2x15 IF 0.83, 0.86 and then 26:28 nailing the Z2 then Z3. Total time on bike 2 hrs with overall IF of 0.88. My legs were shaking getting off the bike so totally surprised by how well the run went.

Next activity for today is the 'Celebration of Life' for Brynnley Post(11/27/09-1/5/11). Trying to decide if my charity of choice this year is going to be Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation or Legacy of Life, Hawai'i's organ procurement organization. Votes from the peanut gallery?

Lynne

Okay, I wrote the above post and then read through the thread. I see that many had similar struggles. I'm definitely forseeing some good FTP jumps coming, great job everybody.

Second thing was apparently my dumb brain misread the run portion. I thought it was 25' out Z2, back Z3 which for me is 9:33, 9:16 so I did 13:30 out at 9:28 and then 12:58 back at 9:14. Nailed it right? Nope wrong freaking run. Oops. I'll blame the hypoxiaimage

This whole session left no doubt that my limiter is my roof and not my ceiling so this VO2 section of the OS is really needed. Good stuff RnP!

• Options
    Uuuummmm. Too many explicatives to mention came from this workout toward Rich. I won't mention.

As many others I too struggled in areas and this was the first ever in a workout I was reduced to walk breaks on the run to complete.

2x20 as .99 and .98

2.5's as 1.2, 1.18,

1'/1' x5 as 1.2

Run did best I could to keepmthrowing in HMP segments
  • Options

Checking back in to see how everyone did. Well done!

I realized later that I made the workout harder by screwing up on the rest intervals twice on the 2.5s. I managed to only give myself 1.5' for the 2nd of the rest intervals and only 2:15' on the next rest interval. I actually thought that I missed the 2.5' mark on that one. Doh!Nothing like making a brutal workout even harder.

Resting hard now

• Options

Great work, Team!  Special props to @Matt and @Trent gettin' it dun!

• Options

It's almost laughable how bad that hurt.  I really didn't think I'd be able to pull off the bike, but I feel like a monster now.  Well, a monster in loads of pain.

2x20 @ .925 (198w)

1.19 (254w)

1.22 (260w)

1.17 (250w)

1.18 (252w)

2x15 @ .78 (166w) & .75 (160w)

15m @ 7:30 Z2 / 15m @ 7:50 Z3.

Yowza!  Great work all!

• Options
    Wow, that was sick.
    2x20 268, 266

4x2.5 319, 299, 310 307.

I only got about 20 minutes of z3 stuff. Shame on me.
    That was the hardest indoor w/o I've ever done. I had some doubts at first but it ended better than last week.
    Congratulations to all who did it.
  • Options
    Oops, dang, no wonder that brick run felt difficult...I just realized I did Z4/Z3 instead of Z3/Z2 LOL.
  • Options
    Awesome job everyone. I nailed the bike but boogered the run. This was definitely an improvement over earlier this week when the 2.5/2.5s weren't working. Mine looked like this:

2x20'@100%/100%
    4x2.5/2.5@120%-122%/65%-70%
    2x15'@87%, Total 1:53@86%

Felt really good to come in pretty much dead on for every piece of this one. I calculated my TSS in Excel and it came out to ~150. Keep in mind that if you were knocking out a 65% LSD workout you would need to sit on that trainer for 3.5 hours to get an equivalent amount of work.

My legs were fried, so I knew I couldn't run Z2, let alone Z3. I was trying hard not to be late getting my middle kid to hockey, so just did ~25 minutes of EP and called it a day. Way to go everyone!
  • Options

Great job everybody.  I have been excited for this workout and really wanted to crush it.  Turns out it was not a good day for my legs, but I gave it everything I had nonetheless.  Normally I can do any length interval at 1.0 without too much trouble but I knew it wasn't going to be a good day when the first 5 minutes felt like the 2.5s usually do.  Try not to laugh.

2x20 @ .996, .993

4x2.5 @ 1.15(wow that was hard), 1.04(I'm falling off a cliff), 1.13(OK come on, get your ass in gear!), 1.0(just fell off the cliff) 

2x15 @ .80, .81

I somehow nailed the run with 12:30 @ 6:58 and 12:30 @ 6:40.  

Despite not being able to hit my numbers, I feel a huge sense of accomplishment and know I did a TON of work.  It felt harder than testing and I'm sure it will pay off down the road.  

• Options
    Posted By Kevin Mepham on 08 Jan 2011 08:49 PM

Oops, dang, no wonder that brick run felt difficult...I just realized I did Z4/Z3 instead of Z3/Z2 LOL.

I just finished the Sunday run and when I was looking at the workout for the day I realized that I did the exact same thing.  At least that explains why I cramped.  I guess what they say is true---"reading is fundamental".

• Options
    made a sporting effort on the bike - had to break down the 2.5s into 1s and 2s here and there - but done. Too much snow to attempt a quality run, so did the 35' on the treadmill based on HR.
  • Options
    Started snowboarding with family on Saturday's so need to switch up Sat and Sun workouts. Did Sunday's run yesterday. That meant the ride/run was today after the run and day on the slopes. Got home last night, read dour posts and this thread left me inspired to get up early today and get at it myself. Great work everyone.

Woke this morning to some new snowfall so decided to do a 30' warmup by shoveling snow. Given what I was reading re: the aftermath of this workout I figured there was no way I was going to want to have to head outside and shovel after this bear of a 2 1/2h workout. Used ERG file so no surprises what my numbers were/should have been. 2x20's @ 100% were harder than I anticipated. Knew they' be working but the legs felt more tired then I expected. Got 'em done. The 2:30's I just couldn't finish as written. No way I could hold 120% for 2:30. 15 seconds in to each the legs were screeming. I managed hold on to push the 120% for 1:40-1:45, would take 10" and then finish the 35-40" out @ 120%. Finished up with 2x15' @ 86%. Overall IF for the 1h, 52' was 0.915. Was ready to bail on the run as everything ached and legs were jello but I knew you all had been battling through and getting this workout done yesterday so used that inspiration to just start running. Did my 35' on the mill @ Z3. Knew going in I was supposed to switch to Z2 mid may but too mentally tired, legs were numb and I just never slowed the mill down. Was fortunate that my son came downstairs right at the start of the run asking if ok if he played his drums. Cool! He cranked some tunes and I'm sure woke the neighborhood as he played along with a number of songs. Like having my own personal rock concert which really helped get me through.

Looking forward to nailing tomorrow's workout
  • Options
    Late post...did this yesterday (Sat). Blew up on the bike at about 1:30. Had to call it a day. That was after blowing a tire (on the drainer) at the hour mark! Didn't get the run in b/c of my nursing a pull/cramp in my right calf (saving it for tomorrow). These bike intervals have been killing me of late. Feel like I need an extra day of rest after the new Z3 (+35w from beginning OS) and On/Offs at 120%. (But today - Sun - my run went well so I think I've turned the corner).

Total Bike 96min TSS 125.9 IF 0.89 NP 210
    2x20' NP 225/224 IF 0.95/0.95
    4x On/Off at 285/150w
    6' NP 190 IF 0.8 (blew up here...no more gas in the tank)

Some of my problem today was not enough respect for the Sat effort. Think sleep, pre-workout and during workout nutrition, etc. would have done me some good. Learned a few lessons here that I'll carry forward. Not a waste of a day after all.
  • Options
    I got it done yesterday much better than expectd. First powder day of the year so smoked much longer and harder than usual. Got through the 20s at .98 then the first 230 at target. Sorta fell apart and did the rest as one minute on and off but all over 370. That took about an hour and twenty, i wa out of watts and time. Never thought I would have gotten that much work done when i started. Cool.
  • Options
    I guess I am very late to the game. I have been doing the bike workouts but no running for about 6 weeks. That does help keep the legs a little fresher. That being said, Saturday's workout, which I did on Sunday (I was a day behind yesterday) was a bear. The 2 x 20's seem to be getting a little easier and I hiit them at 1.018 and 10.23. I rode a little longer for recovery bewfore starting the 4 x 2.5's but it was still not enough to get me through as written. Made the first one at 1.24, then the second really struggled at 1.18 (and crashing quickly. Took a little extra break before #3 but still had to break 3 and 4 at 1:30 for a minute and then finish the last minute of each going 1.2/1.3 for #3 and 1.2/1.28 for #4. The settled in for the 2 x 15's @ .867 and .87. This was ohne of the hardest rides I think I have ever done outside of a race. The total for the 2 hours 19 minutes was (drum roll please...) Duration: 2:19:01
    Work: 1834 kJ
    TSS: 191.1 (intensity factor 0.909)
    Norm Power: 236
    VI: 1.07
    Whew...glad that one is over and even more glad that I did not plan to run afterwards. My hats off to those of you that did this ride and then were able to run. I simply had a bad case of quivering quads.