Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - so glad to hear about racing...it is fun!!! Be sure to get connected on ZwiftPower.com (and join TeamEN there when you do) so you can track ranking and progress. Remember, you need to go pretty hard in the first 2 to 3 minutes just to make the front group. Then you hang on!!!!   :#

+++++++++

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Your Notes

I think quite good. Ending the OS 3/18/2018 (now in week 8). Have completed almost all of the MSs in the plan so far. 

Your Races

• 06/17/2018 Gotoh Triathlon (local race): Swim 1.2mi, Bike 75mi, Run 13mi
    • 08/26/2018 Suzu Triathlon (local race): Swim 1.6mi, Bike 64mi, Run 15mi 
    • Ironman World Championship (2018-10-13) #IMKona_18

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/07/2018
    • On 12/4/2017 Load the OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 3/18/2018
    • On 3/19/2018 Load the Swim Camp to end on 04/01/2018
    • On 4/02/2018 Load the EN*Half (L3) to end on 06/17/2018
    • On 6/18/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/1/2018
    • On 7/2/2018 Load the Advanced Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 8/12/2018
    • On 7/30/2018 Load the -- EN*Full (L3) to end on 10/14/2018
    • On 10/15/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/28/2018
    • On 10/29/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/25/2018
    • On 11/26/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/23/2018

Coach Notes

Ok, here we go...OutSeason Plan right into Swim Camp, then into the EN*Half Plan at Level 3. You can recover from that, do a bit of the Bike Focus plan and then load up the EN*Full Plan to follow through the Suzu Triathlon and into #IMkona. 

You will need to extend the weekend rides for the Gotoh Trathlon bike (add 30' to the Weekend Rides) but that should be sufficient!

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick

• Options
    Coach Patrick,

Thank you for making a roadmap to Kona for me and also other advice about zwift!
    The combination of those plans (SC --> HIMP --> BFB --> IMP) is quite newyo me and looks fun. I cannot tell how they will go at the moment, but I'll try. I'm going to ask you about what I feel or think about the workouts while reporting my update week by week. One thing I noticed is that IMP this time consists of eleven weeks, not twelve. Is this OK?
    By the way, I'm thinking of racing IM Malaysia five weeks after Kona. Of course I definitely want to qualify for next year. About this should I ask again after Kona?

Thanks!
    Akio

• Options
     Thanks for the reply. Yes, we always try to diversify your training from year-to-year so that you can continue to train and compete at a high-level.

Given how successful you are, you definitely make it easy on me! :-)

You have plenty of time between now and Kona, but yes we will want to talk about your postcode her goals probably in August/September. So please set a reminder to reach out to me again.

Nice to see how well you are riding in Zwift. 
  • Options
    You most certainly can!!!!!  I don't believe you actually rest though...you are too hard working!!!!  :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2018 9:05PM via Email
    I think 2018 is going to be another great year for you!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Thank you so much for boosting my confidence. However I'm not so hard-working an athlete. Last summer I made every Sunday off after Saturday long rides because it was too hot and I didn't think I could make two back-to-back big days. Perhaps I might say I want to do the same recovery plan this year too. I'm turning 56 this July! Anyway I'm looking forward to taking on my seasonal plans you made for me. I'll be back here after I do the FTP tests this week.

Thanks!
    Akio

• Options
    Coach Patrick,

Here is my update of last week.
    Bike FTP Test (done on Wed): 270W, the same number as the last time, but PWR increased from 4.06 to 4.12 because I lost weight. I'm afraid I hadn't fully recovered at the test from the half marathon race I ran last Sunday.
    Run Test (Fri): I've using Stryd for two years, so did the 3/9min CP test. My CP turned out 265W and C Pace is 6:16 per mile. They slightly increased from my last test.

Besides the two tests, I did one 60min TRP run, one TT event (Giro di Castelli Stage 5) and one long ride of three and half hours on zwift. The long ride was a simulation of Gotoh triathlon, based on a plan for generated for zwift by BBS. It was much fun!

I'm going into the last phase of OS this week, and have two questions about the  bike rides in the plan. One: Can I replace one of the two Vo2 rides with races in zwift? If I can which of the two will be better. Two: How much should I push for 30sec "MAX" for the Thursday ride? If I really made it to the top, I'm afraid I couldn't keep on after that.

Thanks!
    Akio

• Options
     OK, I’m not disappointed with the results. Especially considering you did a half marathon recently.

I think that you should consider doing a one lap race to replace one of those view two sessions. The one lap races tend to be far more aggressive and challenging. Definitely keep the pressure up and try to find a group that is aggressive enough and will challenge you.

You are welcome to try and attack of the fun of the group as well To mimic the video to work that you are replacing.

I would want you to go any higher than 150%. If you need to recover longer than the workout has listed, I would be OK with that given you our overachieving on the interval itself. In other words, if you do more work, you earn more rest!
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. I've chosen longer races (three laps or more) because one lap ones are, I feared, too aggressive for me.  From next week I try to race one lap or shorter ones too, if they fit my schedule. I mean JST.

I did "30 Seconds Plus" this morning, and successfully got all of the sets done as 30"@150% and 90"@105-120%. Much easier than I thought. Every set was felt just like a first few minutes of a race! Perhaps I have gotten used to this type of workouts through doing races in zwift. However please do not tell me to shorten the time of rest. Then, I will hate you! :)

Thanks!
    Akio

• Options
    Akio - You have a deal! Excited to see how the race goes for you. Remember, in the one that Races things are much more aggressive on the start. Nobody waits till later.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2018 1:22PM
    Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your advice. I took part in a one lap race (WBR 1 Flat Lap) for the first time this morning just after I read your message when I got up. As you said the start was fierce, but I survived till the end. The wattage of the first 15" was about 450W and NP was 283W. It was one of the most tough race I ever did, but most fun! And it gave me a good workout of threshold and Vo2.  I can't wait to do this again!

Thanks!
    Akio

• Options
    Whoa!!! That’s amazing!!!

You might not be able to do that every week, it might even be every other just so you can recover, but you can’t beat that work!
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Here is my last update for OS. I did FTP Test yesterday. It seems it went well this time. The result was FTP 281W (PWR 4.27).

Last week
    Saturday: Half marathon 1:25:42
    Sunday: Bike 2:20 almost@zone 2. couldn't push myself due to the fatigue from yesterday
    This week
    Monday: Swim 30min recovery
    Tuesday: Run 45min TRP and 6x30" stride
    Wednesday: Bike JRA in zwift
    Thursday: Bike FTP Test
    Friday (today): Swim 40min drill and easy swim
    Saturday (planned): Bike joining in the TACX JAPAN TOUR" event in zwift
    Sunday (planned): Run 80min tempo run
    (I'm going to do the Run test on next Tuesday or Thursday in Swim Camp.)

I think my OS (bike focus) went well. Thanks to zwift (and your advice) I was able to get through very hard interval sets and Vo2 workouts with fun. Now I cannot do without zwift for my bike workouts!

So, I have a question about the Swim Camp I'm starting next week. In SC I have only one bike workout for a week. Can I ride more, for example, joining races in zwift, or should I keep it one to give my legs holidays? What is your thought?

Thanks!
    Akio

• Options
    @Akio Yamauchi - great result on that test...I feel sorry for your competition in Zwift and the real world!!!!

plus that half marathon time is legit. I hope you
    are happy with it.  :p

During swim camp you can can do ONE race and ONE tempo ride...the rest are easy please. Don’t forget, you have another
    big year planned!!! 

Thanks for the inspiration!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Thanks, Coach Patric.

My PR of half marathon is 1:21:53, but it was six years ago. I know I cannot run that fast any longer. At the moment I'm satisfied with the result last week.
    I got it about my bike workouts for SC. One race, One tempo ride (@zone 2-3), and easy rides if any. Spring has come to Tokyo! I'm going to ride outdoors for weekend rides, if the weather is nice.

Thanks!
    Akio
  • Options
    Sounds good, remember the speed is relative. You are very very fast even if you aren’t the fastest you’ve ever been.

To put it another way, I don’t want to race you! :-)

If you have a chance, please post a picture from outdoor roads. Be safe!
  • Options
    Thanks for your advive, Coach Patrick.

I know what you mean. I might have a pessimistic way of thinking by nature. Anyway I'll be focused on swim technique, which is my worst discipline, for two weeks and be back with my update (and a photo).

Thanks
    Akio

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 11:10AM
    Coach Patrick,

Just my update for SC:
    Mon: swim 60 min (drill as planned)
    Tue: bike 60min (zwift one lap race)
    Wed: bike 60min (zwift free ride)
    Thur: Swim 60min (drill as planned)
    Fri: run 50min (TRP + 4x30" stride)
    Sat: bike 60min (zwift free ride)
    Sun: bike 240min (long ride outdoors)

I felt a slight pain around my right heel on Monday morning and stopped from running until Friday. If it was plantar fasciitis, it would take long to recover, but seems OK as far as I checked when I ran Friday. At least it caused no problem to bike pedaling including a long ride.

This week I don't have time for training on Sunday for my family matter. Should I push Sunday run (zone 4 intervals) forward to Thursday?

Thanks!
    Akio

P.S. Attached is my favorite cycling course along a river on suburbs of Tokyo. Never-ending lines of cherry blossoms will be in full bloom this weekend!

• Options
    @Akio Yamauchi - Thank you for sharing the pictures, they are beautiful!

I think your modification for the week will be fine as long as your heel is still happy. Do you want to keep an eye on that and if it shows up again then you need to take the intensity back down. Remember just doing a little bit of light stretching in a bit of a dynamic warm-up before you’re going to help if you don’t already do it, here is an easy fix to add to your pre-run process:

https://youtu.be/YdenOdoz-MI
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your advice about pre-run exercise. I did it before today's TRP run (+ 8x30 stride), adding to my usual 20min warmup exercise before run. It felt very good! I'm going to keep it before run and also bike.

Thanks!
    Akio

• Options
    Coach Patrick,

I'm starting Week 1 of HIMP (12 weeks). Today (Thursday) I overslept and couldn't do the progressive pace run in the plan! Evening isn't available. Should I do it tomorrow (Wednesday) or replace one of the weekend two bike rides with it? Or any other modifications?

Thanks.
    Akio
  • Options
     Nope, just skip it and move on. The fact that you overslept, and allowed yourself to do it, is good. As we age and still continue to expect awesomeness from our bodies, we have to develop the ability to be patient as well. Skipping that one workout might make you feel nervous, but it means you will have good work out this weekend and we can pick things up next week as we go. Remember, you just ran a fantastic half marathon so your run is in great shape. 
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2018 9:05AM
    Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your advice. There is a saying "In spring one sleeps a sleep that knows no dawn." in Japan, too. :) I know well that feeling nervous at skipping planned workouts does more harm. I'll work on the weekend workouts being refreshed both physically and mentally.

Thanks!
    Akio

• Options
    Coach Patrick,

I couldn't hit zone 3, not even upper zone 2 in Sunday's ride (ABP). It seems I cannot fully recover overnight after a long ride with zone 4 and zone 3 intervals. Should I dial down the intensity of the Sunday ride, or any other ideas? The plan for HIM is so tough!

Thanks!
    Akio
  • Options
    I would be OK with you just doing zone two efforts on Sunday for now. It might take two weeks or so for you to adopt so rather than shorten the time let’s just dial the intensity down. It is still good work!
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Got it! Thanks for your thought. Yesterday's progressive pace run was also so hard with much proportion of zone 2/3. I'll do my best!

Thanks!
    Akio
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Did the last week's plan as planned except the Wednesday's brick run. However after the "big weekend" my legs were totally toast!

Apropos, I couldn't complete the bike FTP test yesterday. When five minutes passed after staring the test, the connection between zwift and the power meter suddenly failed for a few seconds. It came back but failed again , so I quit the test there. By that time my legs were OK, I suppose. Can I go on as it is with the same FTP value as the last one?

Thanks!
    Akio