Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options

Coach Patrick,

Here is my this week update.

Mon: Swim 25'   (easy swim almost for recovery)

Tue: Run 60' (4x1/2 mile@Z4), Swim 45' (drill)

Wed: Swim 40' (drill) Thu: Bike  ' (2x15'@Z4 + 10x1' fast pedaling >130rpm), Swim 35' (drill)

Fri: Run 78' (TRP run), Swim 50' (drill + interval)

Sat: Bike 245' (80 mile group ride), Swim 45' (recovery & drill)

Sun: Run 79'  (fartlek (?) as planned), Bike 60' (almost@Z1-2, 10x1' fast pedaling)

I couldn't do Bike on Wed, so I moved the plan backward by one day skipping Fridays jog. I like Sundays Tempo Run. It's fun like fartlek!

I tried the bag on the two runs this week, and it worked! On Friday, I started off with ice in the bag, and it melted away before halfway. But at Sunday run (today), I read your "tips" and bought ice at a convenience store (refer to the photo below), which is located at 2.8mile from home just where I usually finish warm up. This time the ice lasted until I complete the set. I found the run utterly comfortable. While I am gripping the bag in my hand,  I can feel the ice lowers my core temperature. When the ice starts to melt I can pour cold water onto my neck or legs. Back home I refilled the bag with ice and put it on my my femoral artery according your tip #2. It worked like a magic again -- stopped my sweating right away! Perhaps can I use this tip #2 in a race, too. The bag is likely to be my lethal weapon at Malaysia!

Thanks!!!

• Options
    Akio, that's a big week without a lighter day on Friday. You might need some rest this week, so consider taking an easier day (swim only?) as needed.

I appreciate your feedback on the RaceSaver bag...it doesn't preserve the ice super well (it's meant more to go Aid Station to Aid Station on Race Day), but I think your updated usage is PERFECT. I am super glad it helped the interval, and the post run application is CRITICAL. It's literally like someone turns off the sweat faucet. image

Keep it up!!!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. Did I overdo it? Actually I didn't feel bad at all today's morning, so did the Bike FTP Test as in the plan! It more or less went well. Tomorrow (Wed) is a Swim day, so I don't think there's any problem. My concern is Thursday's 5k Time Trial. Should I skip this and make Thursday an easy day, say, TRP run or Z1 run instead of Time Trial?  How should I tweak this week?

I would want one or two more bags in reserve!!! Perhaps I might be able to make it myself (or have my wife do so). It's super useful! Today's highest temperature of Tokyo is 101 (Fahrenheit)! I can't go without the bag at a long run session (and also after run).

Thanks!

• Options
    Akio, no not at all. You are right on point. I need to remember how strong you are....and smart. You'd know if you cooked it too hot looooooooooong before I did. image

Yes to making the 5k a TRP run...maybe some strides at the end. We just don't want you to stack up too much run fatigue as the heat is already pushing back on you. Otherwise the bike test is good and I like this week as a mini "break" before we resume the work in Week 13!

I can send you more bags if you like...happy to help you out, that weather sounds AWFUL!
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your advice. Here is my update for GF Week 5.

Mon: Swim 25' (recovery)                       

Tue: Bike FTP Test (FTP=265W), Swim 30' (recovery)

Wed: Swim T-Pace Test (19:35 for 1000m)

Thu: Swim 100' (private lesson), Run 50' (almost@TRP)

Sat: Bike 4hr (group ride), Swim 25' (recovery)

Sun: Run 90' (Progressive Pace Run as in the plan + jog), Bike 60' indoors (Z1-Z2 w/ 10x1' fast pedaling)

I didn't do the 5k test. If I had done it, the result would have been miserable in this terrible heat. Can I put if off until the end of GF? Other than Bike FTP Test, which went well with almost the same number as that of the last time, I did each training emotionally as if this week is a mini "break" as you advised for me.

I'm going to order extra bags later. Due the bag, I'm likely to go over this summer comfortably!

Thanks!
  • Options
    Akio, I am not worried about the 5k result right now. It's not critical...and honestly...you don't need it to be successful. I prefer quality running now, consistently, in these conditions. You are achieving that...we can revisit your run fitness at the end of the GF plan but for now, no run test.

Stay cool!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Got it! I'll focus on quality running (threshold and PPR) by the end of GF, toward which it starts to be cooler than now.

Thanks!

• Options

Coach Patrick,

Here is my update for GF Week 6.

Mon: Swim 40' (drill)                       

Tue: Run 80' (4x1/2@Z4 + TPR), Swim 55' (drill + intervals)

Wed: Bike 60' (5x2'@Vo2), Swim 30' (drill)

Thu: Run 100' (PPR), Swim 40' (recovery w/ some drill)

Fri: Run 40' (Z1 w/ 4x30" stride), Swim 55' (drill + intervals)

Sat: Bike 2hr (indoor, 4x18'@ group-ride like interval session as in the plan), Swim 30' (recovery)

Sun: Bike 4hr (long ride, almost@Z1-Z2), Run 20' (brick, Z1-Z2)

My GF is ending next week (9/4), and I'm going to drop into IM plan at 9/5 (10 weeks out).  I thought I was going to do GF full 10 weeks!

I cannot do training on 9/3 and 9/3 (the last weekend of GF)  at all due to work, but 9/2 (Fri) is available. Should I just leave 9/3 and 9/3 off and go on to IM plan? Or should I do a long ride on 9/2 without making it a easy day? Or any other plan? My training is hopefully so far so good

Thanks!

• Options

Coach Patrick, Mon: Swim   (recovery)

My update for GF Week 7. So far so good. Almost no fatigue accumulated and can sleep well.

Mon: 35' (recovery + some drill)

Tue: Run 80' (4x1/2 mile@Z4 + TRP), Swim 40' (drill)

Wed: Bike  60' (6x2'@Z5), Swim 50' (revovery + drill)

Thu: Run: 100' (PPR), Swim 25' (recovery)

Fri: Run 40' (Jog + 4x20" stride), Swim 60' (drill + interval)

Sat: Bike 250' (82 mile group ride), Run 40' (brick, Z1-Z2)

Sun: Bike 90' (indoor, almost@z1-Z2 + 10x1' fast pedaling)

I haven't had your answer to my question I did last week about this coming Friday whether I should make it an easy day as planned or should do a long ride. I'm ending my GF with two weeks to spare and starting IM from 9/5.

Thanks!

• Options
    Thank you for the update. I'm really excited for weight training is right now, but I don't have a bulletproof answer for your question. I like the idea of having to do a longer ride to keep your regular weekly momentum as we transition into the Ironman plan. Is it possible for you just to move this Saturday worked out over there? If not, let me know what guidance I can give you.
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry. I seemed to have made you mistaken by my vague vocabulary. By "long ride" I meant "Saturday workout," which is, even if longer than 120min as planned, a ride including Vo2 and Threshold intervals. When I ride outdoors, it takes about 35min (about 10mile) to get to the cycling road where I can ride fast without stop, with no traffic signals, and the whole ride always has to be well over 120min. So I call this "long ride." Do I make sense? If I should do a real long ride as in IM plan, I will do. But it's not what you meant, is it? What is your idea?

Thanks!

Akio

• Options
    Akio - Got it! Yes, I want a 2.5 to 3.5 hour ride on Friday if you can...doesn't have to be your "typical" hard ride, but we need to keep up that aerobic side of your training. If you can't then you can't, and that's okay....but I am only telling you what I'd like to see happen.

Hope that makes some sense!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach Patrick

Thanks for your suggestion. On Friday I just did (a little less than) 4 hour ride (81 miles) with "fun structure" intervals as in the plan.  It was over 3.5 hours which you suggested, but I have to get to 40mile point where there's water and toilet. About 10miles before and after the "core part" of the ride is such a busy road that I want to ignore this part if possible. Anyway here is my update for this week:

Mon: Swim 70'   (drill + interval)

Tue: Run '80 (4x1/2 mile@Z4 + TRP), Swim 40' (recovery)

Wed: Bike  70' (7x1'@Z5), Swim 45' (drill)

Thu: Run: 100' (Progressive Pace Run as planned), Swim 25' (recovery)

Fri: Bike 235' (as planned but cut threshold interval), Run 30' (Z1-Z2)

Sat / Sun: OFF  

I'm starting IM Plan tomorrow, but how should I tweak the "official" plan? When I restarted training after Cairns, you said that I shouldn't be locked into the following standard (IM) 12 week plan. For example, should I still keep down the volume of the run?

Thanks!

Akio

• Options
    Akio, you are ready to handle the full (normal) plan to Malaysia, but you don't have to in order to be your best (esp given Cairns earlier this year). Here's my proposed edit to you:

Mon - Pull swim here (use buoy)
    Tue - Bike/Run from Wed
    Wed - Run 75 to 90 minutes here, including 3 to 5 repeats of 3' @ 5k pace, 2' rest. So warm up, intervals..then steady run.
    Thu - Bike 75 to 90' on the trainer, with focused intervals at 85% to 90% FTP. Think 3 x 15 (5), etc.
    Fri - Swim long here. Optional 30' run with strides.
    Sat - Planned long ride day.
    Sun - Long run day part two, up to 90 minutes. All at TRP pace today....

Let me know what you think!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach Patrick

Thank you for editing the plan!  That seems perfect.  It has some "Minimalist plan" flavor, doesn't it?  Just one thing --  I have already done Tuesday's interval run (as planned)  this morning.  Your reply came after that. So can I go on as (previously) planned this week and start your plan from next week? Or should I change Thursday to Sunday workouts to fit in to your idea?

Thanks!

Akio 
  • Options
    Continue this week and then adjust the next! I forget about the Time Change...my bad!

Yes, definitely minimalist, but you have been successful thus far...so let's keep rolling with it. image
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.

I was going to do as planned this week, but I had a sudden bad stomachache after I did the Thursday run, so bad that I had to sleep in bed until next afternoon. I don't know the cause, though... So here is my update for IM Week 3.

Mon: Run 45' (jog), Swim 40' (drill)                       

Tue: Run 55'  (4x1/2@Z4), Swim 55' (drill + intervals)

Wed: Bike 60' (7x2'@Vo2), Swim 40' (easy for recovery)

Thu: Swim 100' (private lesson), Run 80' (PPR, after this had a stomachache)

Fri: OFF (as mentioned above)

Sat: 60' (easy jog), Swim 30' (easy)

Sun: Bike 4.5hr (just rode along)

I was going to have a Big Day on Saturday, but I couldn't. I recovered on Saturday about 60%, so made Sat an easy day (only jog and a bit of swim) and did a long ride on Sunday just to be safe. I am going to do a bike FTP test this Tuesday, but want to put if off until I'm back in completely good shape. Is this OK, isn't it?

Anyway I will restart and do my best to complete my IM plan from today!

Thanks!

Akio

• Options
    Akio, yes that's okay. I am happy you listened to your body...no point in pushing through like that. Test when you are ready and we can go from there. You are still really on a good trajectory...for your race, despite the "missed" workout!

Don't stress out!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thank you for your comments! I've almost recovered this morning and did 2x15'@Z4 on indoor trainer (instead of FTP test). Had some fatigue left in my legs but could hit about 100%. I'm trying the 5k interval set you edited for me tomorrow.

Thanks

Akio

• Options
    Coach Patrick,

Here in my update for Week 5 of IMP.

Mon: Swim 40' (pull + some drill)                       

Tue: Bike 70'  (2x15'@Z4 + fast pedaling),  Swim 35' (drill)

Wed: Run 80' (5x3'@5k pace + TRP), Swim 40' (drill)

Thu: Bike 90' (4x15'@85-90% FTP + fast pedaling), Swim 40' (recovery)

Fri: Run 60' (jog + 4x30" stride), Swim 55' (long swim)

Sat: Run 35' (TRP --> Z2ish), Bike 320' (about 109mi, as planned), Swim 20' (recovery)

Sun: Run 100' (TRP 50' --> (gradually) Z2 30' --> Z3 5' + 15' jog)

This week I was almost able to complete the plan, and felt good throughout. Can I go on like this next week too?

Thanks!

Akio

• Options
    YES! That's great...you can continue, but prepare to keep that Sunday run down to just TRP effort if your HR is higher than normal (as fatigue mounts).

How do the FTP numbers look for you?
  • Options

Coach Patrick

Thanks for your reply. I seemed to push too much at Sunday run. Got it! At my next long run I'll make it only up to TRP.

I did Bike FTP Test this morning and slightly improved by 6 watts and 4.23w/kg. Not so bad???

Thanks!

Akio

• Options
    Yes to dialing back that Walmart effort. The fact that he still had a good bike test tells me that you haven't overachieved "yet" but we still want to be smart. I'm very excited for your bike test results, congratulations to you and " so sorry try next year" to your competition. :-)
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your advice.

Here in my update for Week 6 of IMP.

Mon: Swim 30' (pull + some drll)                       

Tue: Bike FTP Test (270W, 4.23w/k), Swim 35' (recovery)

Wed: Run 80' (5x3'@5k pace + TRP), Swim 35' (drill)

Thu: Bike 90' (4x15'@85-90% FTP), Swim 40' (recovery)

Fri: Run 55' (jog + 4x30" stride), Swim: 75' (long swim)

Sat: Run 35' (TRP), Bike 330' (about 112mi)

Sun: Run 85' (almost TRP 80' + 5' jog)

I'm very sorry that I cannot make it to Kona due to work commitments this year though I qualified at Cairns. But what is done is done. I want to qualify at Malaysia and do my best at Kona next year.

So, I have done the same menu of workouts for two weeks. Should I roll on as it is for a few more weeks? I have no problem with my fitness and am feeling good.

Thanks!

Akio
  • Options
    Hey Akio
    I assume you are the same one who is on the STRYD website? if so your input to the forum discussion on the STRYD (link below)would be helpful to those considering buying a STRYD like me. Thanks and sorry to jump in to your Micro thread,
    Rob Sabo
    http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/19960/Default.aspx
  • Options
    Hi Robert

Yes, it's me! Perhaps you noticed that by the EN sun visor I was wearing in the photo? I've been using Stryd since last November but didn't know there is a forum on it in EN. I'll be glad if I can share my experience and be of any help to EN people. I'll visit the forum later on.

Akio
  • Options
    Akio, your plan is great. we will miss you in Hawaii, but I have no doubt that you will be back. The weekly workouts are very consistent and continue to improve. I'm very pleased with your test results remain so high despite the additional fatigue. That gives me confidence and sing and continue doing what you doing now for the next few weeks. Onwards!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your feedback. it's my bad habit to be overanxious. Now I can keep on going with confidence.

Thanks!

Akio

• Options
    It's your training that's making me so confident! you are doing great.

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Here is my update for Week 7of IMP. I shuffled Saturday and Sunday because of rain. Except that I think all of the workout went well as (re)planned.

Mon: Swim 40' (pull)                       

Tue: Bike 80' (2x20'@Z4 + fast pedaling), Swim 30' (drill),

Wed: Run 80' (5x3'@5k pace + TRP), Swim 30' (recovery)

Thu: Bike 90' (4x15'@85-90% FTP), Swim 50' (intervals + drill)

Fri: Run 55' (jog + 4x30" stride), Swim: 75' (long swim)

Sat: Run 90' (almost TRP 80' + 10' jog)

Sun: Bike 335' (about 115mi), Run 35' (brick, TRP)

So far so good. But shuffling Sunday and Saturday and doing a long ride + brick run on Sunday gave me a bit more fatigue than usual today. So I might not be able to hit Z4 on Tuesday Bike ride or have to dial down the time.

In the "official" plan, I am supposed to do Race Rehearsal this Friday and Saturday but should I do only one of these?

Thanks!

Akio