Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options

No problem. Yes, you can keep pushing, but I suggest you make sure you were getting enough sleep. The fatigue is there and eventually will show up. Remember, the work you are doing now is just as much about staying active than building a new fitness. More about going steady then build a new level of fitness.

• Options
    edited November 4, 2018 1:49PM

@Coach Patrick

Thanks for your suggestion. I know that sleep is most important at this stage toward the race day. I'm trying to sleep fore more than seven hours and take a short nap if I can.

Last week I did (after Wednesday):

Thur: zwift race (11.1mi) (Avg 270w, 96%/FTP), run 35min (brick, TRP)

Fri: long swim 3km (0:59:35)

Sat: bike 220min (3 x 20" SST, remainder zone1-2), run 45min (brick, 35min TRP, 10min jog &walk)

Sun: bike 180min (zone 1-2)

About the plan this week, I'm going to swim a bit tomorrow (Monday), and after Monday I'm going to decide what I do when I wake up and check how I feel. Is this OK?

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

Yes, that is perfect. Remember, we just wanna keep you fresh for this race. It’s a difficult balance, but good rest and nutrition makes a difference. .

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thanks for your reply. I believe I'm in good shape. You remember I went down with fever last year after IM Korea! BUT they say lights are usually followed by shadows. I suddenly had a pain in the left calf on Monday morning when I woke up. I don't know the reason at all. I hardly could run that day. Luckily it is getting better day by day, but I haven't run until today (Thursday) to be on the safe side. Today I was going to do a long run (80-90min). The calf stil feels a bit strange (almost no pain). In this case should I do a short run if I can? Or should I stop running to be on the safe side and focus on bike? Anyway I believe I can run as usuall on the race day.

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

There is no need to push the run. It’s important to remember that as endurance athletes you’re always asking so much from our bodies. The fact that one part of you have to stand up and scream for you to pay attention is a sign that you need to listen. I am saying this is a much for myself as I am for you. I suggest you do some light stretching and foam rolling to get your calf happy in time for race day.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thanks for your advice. Today I did bike 150min on zwift and run off the bike 30min @ TRP. My left calf seems to be OK. However this is because I gave it rest until now. As you said, it might have screamed for rest due to overuse. I'm ready for race. I'm going to take downtime and do packing of my bike and other stuff for travel tomorrow.

I'm leaving for Malaysia on Wednesday morning. For taper, I'm going to do bike (3x8min@75-80% rest 2min) and short run (brick, 15-30min) on Monday and run 30min (with 4-6 stride) and swim 60mn (race pace intervals) on Tuesday. Do you have any advice on the taper?

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

The taper looks great and I am glad you are ready. I am due to pack my bike tomorrow and of course today I discovered my DI to battery is dead! It’s always something. Wishing you a safe and uneventful journey.

• Options
    edited November 17, 2018 4:20PM

@Coach Patrick

I did it! Finished IM Malaysia at the first place in my AG! I'll be back with the detailes when everything is settled.

Akio

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Congratulations on your slot at Cozmel!!!

• Options

Congratulations Akio. I was tracking you on the IM tracker APP on my phone. It was great watching you pick off those other runners. Kona again!!!

• Options
    edited November 22, 2018 1:46PM

@Robert Sabo Thank you, Robert! I was told by one of my friends who cheered me at the T2 that I was 20 minutes behind the first runner. Never imagined I would turn the table on him!

• Options

TWENTY MINUTES!!??! 😲 that is simply amazing! Can’t wait to take a look at some of your data. And obviously, to race with you again. Maybe now we can start talking about your underpants run outfit for next year? 😂

• Options
    edited November 26, 2018 2:31PM

@Coach Patrick

In fact, it was twenty THREE minutes! She (my friend cheering on me) doesn't worry about details by nature. Leaving that aside, my result that day was as follows:

Swim 1:26:22

Bike 5:27:39

Run 03:42:47

T1 00:07:18

T2 00:04:13

Overall 10:48:18

The swim course was 2 laps of triangle. I made a wide turn at the third side for both laps and swam much longer. And at T2 went halfway to the bike rack with my swim suit on😂!!!

The bike was almost fine. It rained for one hour from the start and I couldn’t pick up speed. The surface of the course was rather rough. But after it stopped raining I rode my numbers and kept riding steadily. As you were advising the members in Kona, I pushed a bit for the first lap when it was rather cool, and held back for the second lap when it started to get hotter. I believe It worked since I saved power for the run leg, espacialy for the last spurt.

As I wrote in my last post, I was at the fourth place and 23 minutes (I was told 20 minutes, though) behind the first athlete from UK. It is a very large gap, so I aimed at the second place because the slots must be two. The run course was 2 x 17km + 8.2km. Please divide them by 1.6 to miles! When I did the first lap and returned to T2, I was told that I was still 9 minutes behind the second and one minutes behind the third. I was almost disappointed, but started to push ahead and picked up pace. At the last four kilo mark, I was told by her, who moved there, that I was up at the second place! and that the first runner was one km ahead of me. From there I ran frantically as if I was doing my usual zone 4 interval run. Making sure I got the slot, I was very happy and satisfied when I finished. However, when I had my iPhone back from the deposit and booted it, there was a message to congratulate on my FIRST place from my friends in Japan who had been tracking me. I was puzzled but shouted out I did it! when I confirmed it on the tracker myself.

Next day I talked to the second place guy from UK and found that the advantage he had gained until the T12 was due to the too much gas he put on the pedal at the bike leg! After all the luck was on my side that day!😀

I'm glad I can run Kona with you next year too! I might not have do Malysia if I didn't read your blog about the Late Season Qualifying at Los Cabos last year!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - So impressive, I’m almost without words! I love reading stories like that… Did gave me goosebumps. Congratulations to you for making it happen and for earning your slot already. Now, the harder it comes with a recovery and allowing your body to heal up a little bit. Are you ready for that? Sometimes that’s the biggest challenge!

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thank you for your concern. I read your blog and believed your words "Four (for me it was five) weeks is not just 'doable' to race again at a peak level, it’s actually ideal." Actually I think this applies to older guys like me better because it will be more difficult for them to build from scratch if they once go into maintenance mode. However the fatigue I got from the two consecutive Ironmans is surely great. I raced IM Malaysia two years ago too, but it was five months after Cairn. I'd like to take rest for a while. Last week I did no workouts at all, and this week, only did one easy swim/bike/run. I'm going to enjoy my down time until the end of the year while doing Run durability, and starting my OS in January. I haven't decided my races in the next year yet. Is it OK like this?

Akio

• Options

It is 100% OK. It’s important to note that you want to stay active at some level even if it’s super short and easy. Could be a 30 minute easy spin or a 2 mile easy jog or a nice long walk somewhere, perhaps a hike.

Total inactivity is NOT good for your body but you will need plenty of time to recover so let’s do it.

There’s no urgency to get started again, or to pick your races. Unless you are your a true competition, as they clearly want to know what Races not to sign up for if you were going to be there! 🤪💪

• Options
    edited December 5, 2018 8:32AM

@Coach Patrick

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to make things easy this month with a bit of high intensity, and go into OS in January.

I'm much impressed by your Cozumel Race Report. It sure will help me if I race IM after Kona next year again. By the way, I laughed at the paragraph that you returned to T2 for your Garmin left on you bike. I did almost the same thing at Malaysia at bike check-in. I went back to my hotel on a tour bus without receiving my timing chip, which we must have received there, and had to returned to T2 on a taxi. Another 90 minute drive back and forth!

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - we must be thinking about the race too much! 😂

• Options

@Coach Patrick

That's very much so!🤣

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Akio, okay I really like where you are at right now...and I think the OutSeason®  will give you more benefits (just halfway done right now!). Have you finishing the OS and then rolling into Swim Camp (recovery!) before the Bike Focus Block and then the Full plan into Kona. I am sure you will come up with a few shorter races between now and then, but this is a really good framework.

Do you have any specific areas you are working on right now?

Your Races

• Ironman World Championship (2019-10-12) #IMKona_19

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/22/2019
    • On 1/14/2019 Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/21/2019
    • On 4/22/2019 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 5/5/2019
    • On 5/6/2019  Load the    Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/16/2019
    • On 6/17/2019 Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 10/13/2019
    • On 10/14/2019 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019
    • On 12/9/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/5/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/2/2020

Your Notes

2018: two 70.3ish races, Ironman Hawaii and Ironman Malaysia. I had no injuries or bad performance there.Now in 7th week of OS, starting at Jan 7th after four weeks of RDB in December 2018. I feel very good!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thank you for making my season plan for this year. I did SC and BFB last year too, so know what it's like. This year's new Full IMP looks tougher than last year. At the moment I think my OS is going very well. I'm really enjoying the updated Vo2 workouts. They really hurt as described in the notes, but are fun doing them in zwift. I don't have any specific areas I am working on right now. Should I lift weights? I think I should, but haven't got around to it ...

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

I am glad you like the plants. I do not think you need to lift, but you can overlay the functional strength program into your Out season and see how that goes. They are five very simple and effective movements.

Let us keep an eye on your fatigue. Always happy to have you rest if needed! Sometimes 24 hours can do the trick.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thanks for your advice. I added the functional strength program to my OS, and am starting it tomorrow. They look simple and easy to do. I should've started it earlier!

Yes to your second advice. After the Vo2 workouts my legs were toast! It's lucky that I only have to sit at desk in my office!😅

Thanks!

Akio

• Options
    edited March 8, 2019 9:09AM

@Coach Patrick

I shared EN in an interview with the triathlon (quarterly) magazine in Japan. This current issue features the 40th anniversary Kona. Here are the pages. I hope it helps.

• Options

I think it is helping! We had another athlete signed up yesterday! His name is Akihito Takata And he is training for Zürich! Please tell me how I can do more to interact with the athletes in your country. Is Facebook best?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I'm very glad to hear that! There is only one triathlete I know named Akihito Takata . We know each other well. I haven't heard from him about the sign up yet though.

Today, I believe Facebook is the best solution. However they said they are going to run the rest of my interview on their website, which didn't appear in the magazine because of space limitations. You're going be much buisier in the near future!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi I see the comments coming into my Facebook feed because people are tagging me… Is there a better place for me to look such as a specific Facebook group? I just want to make sure that I’m not missing anyone!

• Options
    edited March 25, 2019 10:25AM

@Coach Patrick

Sorry for replying so late! I've been thinking about this until now, but It looks more than I can handle.😓 After all you might have to set up a Facebook user group or something like that for Japanese athletes who are likely to be interested in EN. Or I could be a PR man here. I'd like to do something about this, but am at my wits' end for now.😭

By the way, I have a break after the Vo2 weeks. I mean the Vo2 block was so hard. The Peak Intervals I started last week feel much easier!😄

Akio

• Options

I understand what you mean some of the Facebook posts that I can see are quite lengthy. I think it might take me as long as my work out to actually write the Facebook post about my work out! 😂

You have done so much in terms of helping Endurance Nation become known in your country, I don’t want to miss this opportunity. I like the idea of a Facebook group were athletes who are training with Endurance Nation can connect with one another. Of course, I have no idea what to call that group! Is that something I can create an English that others can join and they will be able to translate it? Or should we give it a Japanese name? @Mariah Bridges

I am glad to hear that you have found the next set of workouts to be a good step forward. I totally know what you mean about the fatigue