Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options

Stop at traffic lights @Akio Yamauchi !! We can't have that! It will mess up your Average Pace! 🤣 To the hills!!!!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited June 13, 2020 6:35AM

@Coach Patrick There are almost no flat roads in the area where I live. If I run 2 miles to the Imperial Palace, I can run without stopping the 3 mile loop course at the Imperial Palace 2 miles away from my home, where there are many runners running every day. But there is still a 100 foot difference in height for one loop!

Thanks! Akio

• Options

And helps explain why you were so strong on the run! Also, I really enjoyed looking at your photos from the imperial Palace area. It is very pretty there!

• Options

@Coach Patrick The Imperial Palace is said to be a place of admiration for Japanese runners. Plates representing the flowers of the prefectures in Japan are placed every 100 m, so it is convenient for interval training. However, since the running direction is fixed, you can't go back and forth. I usually go to hills in my neighborhood to do short intervals of high intensity.

Akio

• Options

@CoachCaron It's a pity, but as I expected IM Malaysia has finally been canceled. I'd like to reset my training plan. I'm now in the second week of Full Prep Plan. What should I do? Next year, I am thinking of participating in Taiwan on March 21.

Anyway I'd like to enjoy sports without thinking about training efficiency for the time being.😄

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - I'm so sorry to hear about Malaysia, but I totally get it. These are really challenging times, it is the right thing to do. I would like to strike a balance between your normal training and performance oriented training. If you are looking to race on March 21, that means your race preparation training begins just before the New Year...so we have really until October to be "Free" with your training.

What do you think a good "basic" week would look like? I would like to see you incorporate some flexibility or functional strength at least twice a week. If we could do that for six weeks I think that would be a real benefit for you. Normally I tell people to run, but I feel like your run is already in a great place. What are you thinking?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'm going to make this week and next very easy or off to reset myself from the fatigue accumulated. I agree with your idea that I should start race preparation training in October or in the end of September with six months window. Until then I have two months. I would like to incorporate flexibility or functional strength workouts based on your suggestion. I'm turning 58 next week so they might be more important to me than simply doing the training of three disciplines. As you might know, we are in the rainy season here and have rainy days, but it will be over by the end of the month and the heat wave will come. It might be lucky that I don't have to train hard during the hot season!

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - I am not going to lie, I really enjoyed not having to train through this hot season. It has been particularly hot here and my workouts have suffered. I don't think I've been this tan since I don't know when. I look like a local from da Big Island! 🤙

I recommend a 6 week progression for you that looks like this:

• Swim: Strength work and flexibility
    • Bike: 1 short Zwift race (20 minutes) and one easy longer ride.
    • Run: Frequent runs for durability

In reality it could look like this:

• Mon - Strength/Flex Only
    • Tues - Short Zwift Race + Short Brick
    • Wed - Strength/Flex + Short Run
    • Thu - Short Run Only
    • Fri - Strength/Flex Only
    • Sat - Easy Aerobic Ride
    • Sun - Optional Day*

On the Optional Day, you can do an easy bike or easy run.

We have a Core Strength program you can follow in our WIKI. You can find it online here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=OutSeason+Core+and+Swim+Preparation+Routine This is really simple.

Are you looking for more actual weight lifting work?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your guidance! I'll follow your plan for six weeks. Yes! I hope you could give me (more) actual ones as I'm allocating three days a week for them. I'd like to train my whole body thoroughly.

Thanks! Akio

• Options
    edited September 14, 2020 11:43AM

@Coach Patrick I've been concentrating on strength training for the past six weeks. I couldn't do zwift races, and I could only run once a week, though. I was too tired to get around to bike and run. Let me focus on muscle training for another 6 weeks. Over the past six weeks, I've gained a lot of muscle strength and I feel that my overall balance has improved. I don't want to finish halfway. I really know the meaning and importance of the run durability, but I'd like to do something different for now this year.

Akio

• Options

Of course @Akio Yamauchi that is fine. I am scared to see what a strong and balanced you looks like. Hopefully you can start to integrate some running..even if really short, into the program towards the end to make the transition back to "normal" triathlon easier to manage? What do you think?

Coach Patrick

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for you reply. The other day, a friend I met in the swimming pool after four weeks' interval told me that my body shape had changed! In addition to strength, i.e. lifting weights, I do exercises related core and conditioning. And yes to your suggestion! I forgot to write about this, but I'm going to gradually make the last two or three weeks transition to "normal" workouts.

I wrote that I was going to race in Taiwan in March, but I'm not sure whether athletes from Japan will be able to visit Taiwan at that period even if the event is held. In that case, I'm thinking of switching my goal to Cairns in June.

Akio

• Options

Akio, excellent on the body composition. The other underwear runners have been warned!!! 🤣

Be honest, I would plan on Cairns anyway...I don't think rushing the year is worth it and having to adjust will be a pain in the mask!

~ Coach P