Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX May 6th-12th

Comments

• @JK, for the TBT I packed everything in one bag. I haven't had a problem with them losing anything. I will take my post race and generalized clothing, all electronics and gear, and assortment of odds and ends on the plane (carry on). I used 22 of the 25 lbs. allotted for transport. My bike is now on it's way to TX. I hope putting almost "all my eggs is in one basket" won't come back to haunt me.

• A post on FB had the water at 68 degrees. If that's true, no way that lake gets over 76 by race day. Pulled out my wetsuit and am going to try and get in the local lake here this weekend just in case.

The 10 day forecast shows a high of 85 and low of 66 next Friday. 10% chance of precipitation. Wind SSW 10mph. Tomorrow well have our first forecast for race day but it will probably be similar. Bottom line... Looks like AWESOME weather for IMTX!
  • @ Dwigth...Huh?  no way ...really...

A nice set in the pool this morning 20x100's all under 1:45 (good for me) + warmup & cooldown...wore my swimskin felt very good.....now at work and thinkin'..."thats all I have to do today?...no workout this afternoon?....Workout Withdrawal....Taper Sux!"

• Ok, John/Joe, I need someone to hold my hand and tell me its ok to bust out the swimskin at the pool deck. I've got one on an airplane to my doorstep as we speak and I was pondering how/when to test it out. I'm going to try to swim very briefly at the practice on Friday next week but was conflicted about being 'that guy' at my local pool. The best I could come up with was to wear it next Tuesday (off work) during the middle of the day at a low density time. Do I just need to resign myself to getting those looks?

On a related topic, I'm assuming you work kit underneath the swim skin to to pool? Yes/no?
  • Dude. Just throw it on and jump in. I'm probably going full gear in the morning.
  • @Joseph- That's the truth and I believe it. I live in Atlanta and this has been a very unseasonably wet and cold spring. My local lake is about the same temp and *should* be about 8-9 degrees higher.

I'm with you man. Going to swim at lunch and have date night with the wife tonight. Difference is there will be no "I shortened my workout" guilt tonight LOL.
  • @Roy....I wore it over my swimsuit/jammers....my Desoto Tri shorts don't like chlorine...but I wanted to feel like I had them on....No worries about stares at the pool......its a good thing to do...you want to check for any pinch points/possible chafing areas...etc...also good to just get a feel for the fit...(and practice zippering up on your own if ya need to...fyi...I put a shoe lace throught the zipper tab this)..

• JK/JL, thanks, will try it out early next week.

2600 yards in the pool tonight on 4x600 averaging 1:43. Felt good but not rushed (went after dinner so kept it within reason). Like most, enjoyed a 'rest' day with only one light workout.

A week from now I'll be in the Woodlands. Getting real!
  • @Joe, I've been stalking your RR/Micro thread with Patrick. We should line up in the swim together. We have almost the exact same race plan. See you next week!
  • Finally got a taste of Texas today... Swam this am at the YMCA and hit a nice black track for a 70min run this afternoon... Temp said 90 and was a bit more humid than yesterday... Oh boy it could be rough on that run course!!! Temps forecast for high 70's to mid 80's but the humidity is coming on strong the next few days in the 70% plus area..... In fact so far that looks to be the foreseeable forecast till race day!
  • Dropped bike at LBS for final tune up before shipping. Bike WKO this am. 3x5 minutes @95-100 FTP
  • Ha!  70% humidity is bone dry for southeast Texas.  When you feel dryer in the water than on the land, you will know the humidity has hit.
  • @Tom, this section is over by Jorge's.  Unfortuantely there is no smooth spot in the rode yet.  At the turn at Jorge's keep your eye on the road.  They have been storing gravel there and it is all over the road.  Very easy to have your wheels slide out from under you.  Luckily they do have the loose gravel sign up like Tim said.
  • Water temp last Saturday was 72 for CB&I tri.  The lake is very shallow, so temps are a crap shoot.  We have seen them jump by 8-10 degrees in a matter of days.
  • today was the last 4:00 am wake up for swim. Finally, i get to sleep. MS: 4x600. Run to come later. Hope everybody is enjoying taper time
  • Here's the forecast for next Saturday. It's going to be real interesting to see how the lake temp goes up between then and now. They are expecting rain for the next few days so this thing might turn into a wet suit race. Quite honestly, I hope it's NOT but that's just me. Humidity at 77% isn't bad in Texas. I'd take this weather right now if it's accurate.

saturday, May 18
    Updated: May 9, 2013, 8:09am CDT

Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 60s.

Day May 18
    Mostly Cloudy

85°FHigh

Mostly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
    20%

Wind:
    S at 11 mph

Humidity:
    66%

UV Index:
    10 - Very High

Sunrise:
    6:26 am

Moonrise:
    1:44 pm

Moonphase:
    First Quarter

Collapse Details

Night
    Partly Cloudy

66°Low

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
    20%

Wind:
    SSW at 6 mph

Humidity:
    77%
  • A tad over 8 miles on the TM this morning...rainy and chilly outside...a.) not taking any chances on getting sick..b.) inside was hot & humid...so counted towards acclimating...2miles ez (8:20)...2miles "hard" (7:30)...2 ez (8:15)...2 "hard" 7:30...just kinda puttin in some time...and spinning the legs...65min was plenty.

• nice work Joseph. I'm doing eight tonight outside...it's 80 degrees out..finally.
  • Last significant run finished. Hell yeah!!!!!!!!! 8 miles in 58 minutes. 10 min @z1, 20 minutes @ mp, rinse and repeat except last one was 18 instead of 20.
  • Looks like the default is 8 today. I did 8 in 1:04 as well with most ~7:35-40 and 1 around 9 (hill). Fun times all around.
  • Asked this before but can't find response. I purchased optional bag for TBT. What am I suppose to put in it
  • Good Work Everyone!

@John- I actually had the same question....was waiting to see what people offered up...I actually didn't purchase the bag option...because I didn't know what I would put in it...

Hey Stoopid Gear Question of the day....How often have y'all changed your Chain? and do you change your Cassette every time you change your chain?

• change the chain when chain gauge says it is too stretched.     so, you need a chain gauge.   I like the Park.        Cassettes should not wear out, essentially, if you replace the chain when indicated. 
  • @ Robin and Joe L.... Good stuff about the chain ... I just learned all about that... Although I dont have the tool to measure stretch when I put a new chain on my old QR it shifted like new again. I thought it was deraileur adjustment??? I didnt know anybetter. So this year I bought 2 new chains for my Felt. Robin already answered some Q's for me about the quick connect link... My plan is to use one as a race chain , nice and clean , installed 1 ride before race day. After the race it comes off.... Next year that becomes my chain and I will buy a new race chain. They arent that expensive in the scheme of this sport.

Took a full REST day today.... Went out to do a bike , the winds kept gusting , and it kept raining off and on, sat in the car for an hour , looked at the weather radar , storms kept popping up on the north end of the loop and are forecast to be severe.... low level clouds made it dark and they were flying ..... Completely lost motivation and talked myself right into a REST day... Didnt really take that much... Turns out it never did rain hard on the south section... OH the Humidity is here now!
  • For what to put in the TBT bag - Everything that you don't want to carry on the plane.  It can be tools, nutrition, water bottles, etc.  The stuff that is too bulky to carry easily on the plane or that might be damaged are good candidates for the bag. 
  • Thanks John. @Joe. I just had my chain replaced. Guy said it was trashed. Rear cassette was okay but that's less than year old. Guy was giving me a hard time because had sugar all over frame from bottles. They took bike and components completely apart and cleaned everything. I may not be fast but at least I'll look fast. Shipping bike out today. What a production these IMs are
  • I did the "default" run last night...8 miles and it was 83 degrees. That's the ONLY "hot" run I've done this whole cycle. And I say "hot" because 83 in ATL aint much.

Got my bike back from LBS. Tuneup, new chain, new brake pads...she's ready to rock. My wheels come in from Race Day Wheels today.

I weighed in today...2 lbs under the goal I set in January and 25 lbs. total weight loss.

I f*cking geeked today. image
  • Sounds like the bikes are ready and everybody getting set to pack.

Looks my day off yesterday was good for me... Today's swim 500wu , 2100yd TT 31:48 a PB , 500cd.... Second workout of the day ... 90 minute massage
  • done the 48 hour stomach bug luckily.    done barfing.  etc.      two days off work.     weight loss.

but feeling good today.   2000 m time trial.       glad this was just a short term thing.

am up for the bike and run tomorrow.

• @John - One think to keep in mind is that SportsDrink can do a trick on your bike's paint job.  Some of the ingredients are acidic and can degrade the finish or actually act as a sovent and start to peel the paint.  Good practice is to wash your bike every weekend to get that stuff off.  At least try for every coupdl of weeks.