Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Yvette Metz - Micro

Comments

• Options

Posted By Yvette Metz on 20 Feb 2014 04:38 AM

Up date more travel...rrrrr Friday am to Monday night

Week 6 of out season, Monday weights,tuesday bike, wed bike, Thurs bike then  the plan was fly out on Friday am (day off) then Saturday Sunday Monday do the runs back on track week 7. The runs did not happen. Rrrrf my grandson(8yrs) got sick then it went like wildfire to my granddaughter(5yrs) who ended up in the hospital, then my daughter and the babysitter and my grandson(18mts). Flew home Monday plane delayed arrived home at 2am,went to bed   thought I was safe but oh no Tuesday am I was down for the count it was a virus . it is now Thursday.

it is now week7 Thursday I'm going to do my Thursday workout if I feel ok I will take Friday off then jump into the rest of the week. Does this sound reasonable coach?

working on the sleep will change the weights.

Ps: down 20 lbs 

• Options
    @Yvette...yes friday off and we'll see how Sat/Sun treat you. Super hydration time and good sleep...no weights this week...and that's great news on the weight front!!!
  • Options

Hi Coach,

Checking in....  Still working on weight loss.

I had the swim camp loaded for two week. I was able to follow the first week perfectly, 2 week I had to travel again to Texas ( visit with grand kids ) left on Thursday returned on Tuesday night. I was able to swim one day and started to run another day and had a problem with my foot.  not sure if it is from the new position on the bike, road bike to tri bike.  when pulling up I would arch foot a lot and started to hurt during running as well.  purchased inserts for bike shoes and everyday shoes.  helps because I'm not flexing my arch.  going to work on stretches but think I should take this week off of running . I have a half marathon in two weeks. if my foot is still acting up I'm going to skip the half marathon.  I do not want to run that long and cause more problems this early in the season. 

I am using Trainer road for bike workouts, MI still snow, no outside bike rides for me. 

I just had the Stages power meter installed on my new bike, going to pick it up today. Questions  to you below.

June 8 I am going to the Grand Rapids HIM.  uploaded the HIM plan to end on 6/8/2014 currently on week 10

need help modifying the next two weeks please.

Monday I swam in texas,

Tuesday travel day to michigan off

Wednesday , hour of weights, then swam drills for one hour with the local swim coach and friends.

Thursday, ? not sure what to do  so I am going to swim at pool and do one of the swim workouts for this week.

Need your help with the following: 

1, Do I need to retest because of the new power meter?  Then will I need to retest when I start riding outside? (I 'm sure the answer to both will be yes, based on everything you have taught me) if so do I test one day then jump back into the plan for the week?

2. Modify the next two weeks of HIM plan? just add more swim time in place of the runs?

3. How to handle the half marathon in two weeks. If my foot is better run, or thinking of just walking it....or let it go! 

Thanks for everything"oh wise one" need someone to keep me focused . Just wanted to say thank you, so glad Pat Ward told me about you and your team.  I do love it!  Thanks for all your work, much appreciated.

• Options
    Great call to back off on the running, especially if that doesn't fade. You may want to head over to www.athletestreatingathletes.com and see if there's anything you can find there about the issues you're having.

Yes we deftly want you to test again. I suggest you do an easy spin on Friday morning about 30 minutes just to get used to the power meter and to figure out how to hit the lap button so you can capture your 5 & 20 minute test. You will also want to read up on the power testing protocols in the wiki. Then on Saturday morning you can do that bike test with some additional time spent in zone one and zone two to fill that workout window.

If you really are running, and we modify your week to have you do the typical Wednesday ride on Tuesday and then do a separate ride on Thursday (I'd go with a 60-75' aBP ride). This would have you riding Tuesday Thursday Saturday Sunday with the other days as swimming.

Let's wait on making the call on the half marathon until next week. Let's see how the rest goes as well as your strategy with the foot inserts. Keep me posted!
  • Options

Hi Coach,

I cut back on running and checked the web page Athletes treating athletes.I think it is due to extremely tight calf mussels.  I went to my neuromuscular "miracle man" and he works out the knots. So my foot was feeling great.

Was a long week for me because I was up every day by 4:45am to do workouts then go to work late every night 9 pm 10 pm

Only had 5 hours sleep broken every few hours. We started the Saturday workout at 5:00am

I did it with Jennifer we , swim,  Bike(3 hours on trainer due to weather) run out doors. Felt great on swim, although I am slow, the bike - didn't feel strong(started to use EFS sports drink and had a power bar) started to feel stronger at end of ride.  The run was good I took a bottle of EFS with me my foot did not hurt at all,. Did not use any foot inserts   During the OS I was only using water and salt sticks, trying to keep sugar/carbs out of diet per dr.

Sunday I could not do the workout had family event. Slept the afternoon

Monday did swim, was at a clients and tried to move her sofa using my legs and pulled my foot out again.  (see Wednesday)

Tuesday was extremely tired/no workout/ went to work from 7am till 6pm .

Wednesday did one hour of weights./swam but 2000m not 2700m ran out of time/ went to my neuromuscular appointment for my foot nd legs. Feels a little better he told me not to run for a day and give it time to settle down .  came home from work and slept 3 hours/ trying to catch up on sleep from last week.

I did my bike test last week like you suggested.  So tomorrow on the schedule it says to bike test I didn't re test. Took the day off felt sleep and rest was needed.

Now Thursday it is a run test not sure what to do/ do I run test or rest up for race this weekend.

I have the half marathon and not sure if I should run. So Thursday I will go to the gym and try to run o n my foot. There is only 8 weeks until my half Ironman and I want to be smart about running . If my foot is acting up I will not run the half marathon.

With that said if I run the half marathon should I do the bike ride after?

Week 13 I will  be back on track.

Thanks coach!

Now I do not know what to do for tomorrow. I have a run test on the schedule for tomorrow.  .

• Options
    Yvette - I can't remember what you do for a living, but it sounds crazy crazy hard. Just the thought of such lack of sleep is a killer. It sounds like we have some progress with your foot but not enough to say we're in the clear.
    You'll have to let me know how the run went today at the gym, as you noted earlier in your post there was no need to test today. I thought you asked a question twice but I think the last bit was a hold over from when you first typed it.

Friday should be this from work out as planned. If Saturday is your race to do it and we ride easy on Sunday for about 90 minutes. If your race is on Sunday than Saturday is your 90 minute steady ride followed by the race. If you decide not to run for whatever reason, and we just double down on the we can rise.

More important than getting both of those rides and however, will be helping you to get some sleep. If we have to make the call between two workouts and tonight support sleep, I'd rather you do just one of them and get a good night. It adds up.

Me know what you're thinking about the race!
  • Options

Hi Coach,

I do Interior Design.  I have 4 projects that are due May 30th.  My BIG problem is sleep.  

FYI... my foot is good again.  Needed to stretch and roll the calf a lot.  back on track.

I am on week 16 of HIM.

week 13, 14, 15, went ok. Some of the Mondays I had to take off because I couldn't recover from the weekend.  I m ok with having to rest when my body needs it.

I have been riding my long rides outside with Jennifer lynn the weather in MI has been so windy.  Working on nutrition.  I took sweet potato's , grape leaves, tried power bars and the drops, EFS drink and its working for now.

I have a half marathon on May 24th. 

Can you tell me how to modify my the week before and after?  then I have the HIM on June 8h

Should I do a sweat test before the race rehearsal ? I thought it was only for the IM, cant find where I read it.

This is what my schedule looks like: your input please?

HIM plan week 16/May 5th  keep as is but on Saturday I am doing the Duathlon. 3run/12bike/3 run. going with your advice to Jennifer for after the race, do an easy ride. Sunday back on track.

HIM plan week 17/May 12th  Keep as is  

HIM plan week 18 / May 19th /  (race week)  Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday keep as planned. Friday is travel day, Saturday is the half marathon( I will be running it for fun with my son and his girlfriend) Sunday regular schedule, will be riding my bike with my husband no running planned. Monday is a travel day.

HIM plan week 19/ May 26 as planned

HIM plan week20 June 2 as planned  

Thanks Coach!

• Options

I forgot to tell you! 

I did the Half Marathon on April 12th.  my foot was fine. 

• Options
     Hi coach

Monday was weights

Tuesday was rest

Wednesday I did the Tuesday swim run

Thursday I will do the run

Friday the swim

Saturday the doudouathlonathlon and an easy ride after

Sunday back on schedule. 

Any suggestions I have needed a rest day after the weekend workouts or should I not worry about it.

Thanks

• Options
    I think your plan looks great. Given the fact you need extra rest on Monday I'm not too worried about it because you're taking the rest then doing the rest of the week. You do have the option of "hacking" it, which in this case would mean limiting your Sunday ride to no more than 90 minutes, ideally about 75 minutes. Still the same intensity, just a really short focus session but strong all the way through. I think then you will be able to do the rest of the week! Let me know what you think.
  • Options

LOL!!!  that is why you are my coach!  Thanks, I didn't think of that. I will try doing short rides on Sunday and see how it goes.

HIM on June 8th , do I use the wiki to plug in the week before the race and after?

Should I do a sweat test before the race rehearsal ? I thought it was only for the IM, cant find where I read it. 

My husband wants me to take a vacation with him.  I was thinking of doing it after the HIM(stay there for the rest of week) that way I can be in the recovery week. Then when I return its load up IM training for Nov Florida .  Does that sound like a good place to take time off? 

• Options
    Yvette -

Yes to wiki, but usually be have you do the full training week through Wednesday, dropping the long run in favor of the race and basically tapering you from there.

I think a week off after the event with your husband -- after the half iron is perfect. We'll have plenty if time to adjust into the IM plan from there.
  • Options
     Thanks Coach! 

Yvette Metz 57 F Troy MI run 3.1/ 29:59/ 9:39 /t1 1:41 bike 12 miles 39:50 /18.7/ t2 1:42 run 3.1/29:27 /9:29 total 1:42:37

race was a pr for me. 2nd age group. Although,  only 3 in my group. 

Can I use theses for much run test and BIKE test?? If yes on bike how do I calculate the #s?

Plus, in week 17 of HIM looks like week 18 has a 568race rehearsal but im running the half marathon. Should I do my race rehearsal this weekend? 

What about sweat test? 

Thanks

• Options
    PR is a PR!!!!!! :)

You can enter the distance and time for the bike for a baseline. But he would need to enter your heart rate for the bike to get your training zones.

I suggest you do the race rehearsal this weekend on Saturday and be sure to include the rehearsal swim on Friday. Sunday off. The next weekend you can just run the half marathon with an easy bike either the day before or the day after.
  • Options
     Coach! Sorry about last minute but my week 19 of HIM  training has the following: bike , run and swim. Is that correct?
  • Options
     Coach! Sorry about last minute but my week 19 of HIM  training has the following: bike , run and swim. Is that correct?
  • Options
    Yes!! You can always bump the swim to another day if that's easier, but that's how it's planned.
  • Options

Hi Coach,

Went to Grand Rapids Long Course Nationals this weekend.   Had a pr... I took one hour off my time.   came in 21 place (57yrs) so with a roll down to 25 I may have a chance to go to Sweden.  Didn't think I was going to race.  the day before, Trish, Jennifer and I went to test the swim and I fell getting out of the water and hit my foot on a rock in the water.  had  a lot of pain and could not put pressure on it, so after we checked in for the race I went back to my room and put ice on it all night. Woke up and still had pain but could walk on it, took some pain meds and off I went.  I worked to hard this OS to not race, I figured by the run if it still hurt I would stop.  Plus I want to go to Sweden.

Here are my numbers: on the swim, I waited one minute after I was in the water the  didn't want to fight the swim .plus kept getting kicked in the face. not worth it.  T1, I put compression socks on and because of the rain everything was wet and took longer to put on.

Bike, first long ride with my new bike. ( IMFL my average was 14 m/ ph) now 17.1 m/ph.  I could have gone faster but felt like all I did was fidget with food and salt tabs in by back pockets, .  I need help with this! I didn' t have to stop at all, but by the time I entered the T2 I did have to make a pit stop.  I had no power reading on the bike, Garmin will not pick up the power from Stages. ( I'm sorry I purchased the stages instead of the power in the rear wheel. )  

Run: I kept telling my self Coach P said  DO  NOT SLOW DOWN ON THE RUN. 

I was extremely tired this week.  Race was Sunday, drove home Monday, it is  now Wednesday and still I have not worked out.  I needed the rest, my body was hurting.  I feel better today and will start workout on Thursday and go easy until next week Monday.

my question:  I load up the get faster plan on Monday (IMFL 2014) .  It has a testing the first week do I test or do I use the results from the HIM race.  plus I may do a race this Sunday? Oh, I forgot this week Wednesday night I am doing a sprint .... could I use those numbers for the test? 

thanks,

yvette

YVETTE METZ

Finish Time

06:59:39
    Overall : 655 / 713
    Categ : 21 / 24

Race No: 5087
    Category: Ages 55 - 59

Swim

00:45:25
    Overall : 567
    Categ : 16

Cycle

03:15:58
    Overall : 605
    Categ : 17

Run

02:45:19
    Overall : 669
    Categ : 22

Splits

Split Name
    Race Time
    Leg Time
    Pos
    Cat Pos
    Gen Pos
    Pace
    Adj
    Swim 00:45:25 00:45:25 567 16 146 2:21 m/sec  
    T1 00:51:24 00:05:58 688 21 215    
    Cycle 04:07:23 03:15:58 605 17 166 17.1 m/hr  
    T2 04:14:19 00:06:56 659 20 213    
    Run 06:59:39 02:45:19 669 22 199 12:37 min/m  

• Options
    Yvette - EPIC!!! I think you need to chill a bit before you start IMFL; no real rush. Can we have a fun few weeks and start in July?
  • Options
    Ok, Thanks Coach!
  • Options
    Hi Coach

I did a Sprint race on Wednesday.  I want to use the bike ride for my test results. How do I figure out my numbers from the 12 mile ride?

• Options
    Hi Coach

I did a Sprint race on Wednesday.  I want to use the bike ride for my test results. How do I figure out my numbers from the 12 mile ride?

• Options
    Yvette you either put the Avg HR for the bike and calculate the HR zones, or you can put in the Normalized Power number and do the same. You don't have a VO2 number so just take 120% of the Zone 4 the calculator spits out as your Zone 5.
  • Options

Hi Coach,

I'm lost on what to do for the next few weeks, I am currently in week 15 of HIM training.

Aug 9th OLY Nationals "A" race

Sept 6th HIM Tawas, MI. 

Nov 1 IM Flordia

last week I did not do the race rehearsal, Im confused because the pod cast for week 15 states race rehearsal is week 15 but the written schedule doesnt have the race rehearsal in it. 

Week of 28th(week 15 HIM plan) do I finish the week and  do my race rehearsal this weekend?

Then 

Week of Aug 4th. modify as per the wiki, see below:

A” Race: You want to do very well on this race. Your goal is to perform at your best, then pick up your normal training schedule as soon as possible.

1. Follow the regular training week of your plan through Tuesday; then:

2. Wednesday is a 90' brick as a 70' Bike and a 20' Run. The bike includes 6 x 3' (4') at goal race effort. The 20' run is done as 10' in Zone 4/TP off the bike, then 10' steady in Zone 2/MP.

3. Thursday TRAVEL DAY- OFF

4. Friday is PACKET PICK UP AND SWIM AT 11AM

5. Saturday RACE

thanks,

• Options
    @yvette I am going to send Coach Rich here as he's the planning master!!
  • Options
    Coach.....I'm not looking to change. I need to know if I should do the race rehearsal this weekend so close to national s
  • Options
    Yvette,
    Yes, do the RR this weekend, on Saturday. Take Sunday off, then pick up that A-race schedule you posted above.

Good luck!
  • Options
     First and foremost: OMG you are one fast dude! Great job at IMMT....I was afraid to race  IMMT with cathleen, Pat and Trish and all EN team.  Have unfinished business at IM FL  Thanks Coach!  National s went well for me and had a great time. I took 10  minutes off my time from last year. 3:14:18 felt good during the race stayed calm and stead on bike and swim. On the run I started to overheat at mile 2 . Kept pushing but didn't feel right something was off, so I decided to run the race I could in the moment didn't want to push it. Good thing I did that night I went to ER had excruciating pain. Discharge after 8 hours and a ruff 8 hour car ride home. Pain and vomiting . Turns out it was a kidney stone.  I knew something was wrong on the run just couldn't pin it down. 

Swim:33:23:5

Bike: 1:23:05  

Run:1:06:04

T1:6:28:7

T2:5:15:7

Coach P: I'm on week 10 intermediate IM plan.

My HIM is Sept 6- 2.5 weeks away. (Watched video on how to race HIM before IM)

I spoke to you after my HIM in June.  You recommend I work on bike with nutrition and keep swim at a minimum to keep fitness. I looked in the wiki under: focus a plan

My question for today:

With HIM in 2 weeks and IM FL in 10 weeks how do I Chang the plan to add more bike like you suggested?

Thanks Coach speedy!  ;)

• Options
    Kidney stone? Wow -- you are on tough chica!!!! :)

HIM is a great chance to test the race set up and nutrition plans, so let's not lose sight of planning for that right now. That said, ideal option #1 is to extend Sat ride to a "fixed" 5-hour session, main set and remainder of time in Zone 1-2, or you can work the bike as Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. What's the status of your run, and what do you think of the options?
  • Options

Hi Coach,

Here is your answer to the questions about my run. last race before IMFL.

http://members.endurancenation.us/F...fault.aspx

I'm getting scared, IM Fl is just around the corner.  I need to finish on time this round.

I raced on Saturday, Sunday was travel day. Monday, I took off because I needed to rest and stretch.

I think I should bike more? I can extend the sat ride like you said or should I just run on Mondays with swim then Tuesday swim and bike? if so how much bike on Tuesday?

I'm all over the place today after the race. think I need to just chill.