Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

IMTX Week 2 0f 12

Welcome to week 2!   Feeling a little humbled by the fatigue and difficulty of yesterday's 2 hour trainer ride and 35 min run with 1X1 after the week's volume......Woke up with sore throat after not really sleeping much and about 1/2 inch of ice on the roads here in the DFW area.......

Will see if I can pull myself together and get back on the Week 2 wagon!

Have a great week all!

Comments

• Plantar Fasciitis feeling better. Should be able to train normally this week. Yeah! I think I will limit my runs to 3x/wk though. Should be enough!!

• @Michael, glad the PF is getting better.  In my experience, it is manageable and does improve.  Slow and smart.

Small World Alert: I have lots of relatives from Salina and spent a lot of time at the Salina Country Club growing up.  They've all since moved on (in one way or another). We're an entire family of KU grads.  Job drug us to FL a few years ago from KC.  If you raced a lot around KC or Topeka the last 15 years, we probably share a lot of medals and shirts. 

• I'm really glad that today was a swim day. I put in a solid hour. Did the main set of 1800MM then did drills and such till I was out of time.

I don't think that I have ever written that before. Last week was a major ramp up in vol. and it was all the more pronounced because it is so early in the year.
    I am walking comfortably after my first run since my Achilles strain. I will try and get out tomorrow and run on it some more. But it will be a game time decision.
  • I did Tues wko today.  I can only get 45 mins in the pool, max... before the Aquafit class kicks everyone out of the pool. My right shoulder still injured, but felt good otherwise. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/454795099

45 min TM run: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/454795107

• @Linda .... Welcome.... you need to adjust your security setting on your garmin account!

@Jimmy turning into a fish! Yes...

@SS everybody is getting sick... been coughing for a couple weeks finally feel like I'm getting better... BTW its all over the country!

@MJ happy about that PF !

Monday is normally a swim only day for me.... maybe a recovery run or bike... today was a bit different... John Withrow came to town.... I accidentally climbed Mt. Lemmon today after yesterdays 75mile ride 4 mile brick.... I can't wait to see JW's descent on STRAVA that boy can descend!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/454782106#
  • Wow...there is just so much action happening here I cant keep track of it all! Great work everyone!!

Took yesterday off after Saturday's big jump up in volume and feel really well rested and ready to hit the week hard! This approach just works for me. You all will be getting in more biking than me, but I would just crumble under all that bike volume. 3x a week for me still, just a bit less volume total.

Ran 7 miles on the tm this morn and did 2x2mile "tempo pick ups" I call them. 2 mile warm up then 2x2 miles at starting pace of 8:15 and change the speed every .25 miles to end at about 7:30 pace. This seems to be working for me as I work through my plantar issues. Feeling much better, but still a bit afraid to hit it really hard for fear of doing damage to it. I have worked so hard and smart to get to this point.

3300 yrd swim. Workout as prescribed in Int IM plan. That is by far my farthest swim since IMWI 2012! lol!! Feeling great!!!!

Keep up the great work everyone! Accountability is key!
  • got in 90 min in an easy spin last night while finishing up the movie "42" on HBO Go. Pretty inspiring story and used the time to work on my aero position. happy to read in other posts that we'll have a couple weeks to adjust to the increased volume -- hopefully it'll warm up and i'll be able to hit the open road finally!

hilly 40' of running to/from the pool today with a good swim wko in between. i have been working hard focusing on rotation while the fitness comes back

• Great Monday everyone!!

I got 3125yds in today in 1hr on the dot.  This was 99% of the today's scheduled workout.  

I plan to ride for an hour this evening since I only got in 2 of the 3 ABP hours yesterday.  I know it's not really necessary and making up workouts is sort of frowned upon at EN, but for my OCDish personality I've got to do it.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/454836144#.UxUUt7yUWHc.link

• I asked coach P my question (see last week's thread) re jumping from 4 to 6hrs for long ride for those doing IMTX camp.  He asked me to forward his response:

Jeff, the gap between 4 and 6 hours isn't THAT great if you ride it smart...as in first hour easy, etc.  Riding 6 hours is hard if you try to take your four hour pace and extend that by two hours in your first go of the season!!! 

You ARE right that it is a lot of riding early on, but that only increases the chance for fitness gains etc. I would bring, in order: 

* Lots of Chamois cream. 

* Some Tylenol 

* Caffeinated food for later in the day -- gels, coke, etc!!! 

* And some really, really patient riding. Or you'll have to put up with ALL my bad jokes for Day Two. And they are really bad.  

Please share this back to the TX forum...

• Got off work early (which never happens on Monday) so had an hour to swim before the carpooling of kiddos started.  Had planned to do tomorrows longer swim, but only could get in 3100yds in an hour or so.  I'm so slow!  Hope to swim again tomorrow, but the run is main priority for me.  Legs pretty sore today, but a "good sore".  

As much as I hate these cold fronts, I keep praying that they will somehow/someway delay the inevitable unrelenting heat that will soon descend on south Texas.  Has IMTX swim ever been wetsuit legal (not just "allowed"....but legal for all)?  

• @JL ... Texas has never been wetsuit legal but it was very close last year. The weekend before IMTX there is a sprint Tri in Lake Woodlands and last year that was wetsuit legal. They had record cold temps and I know cause I was there to climatize to the Texas heat and froze my ass off... But as usual the week leading into raceday heated up and I think the water temp went no wetsuit or optional 2 days before and of course screaming hot temps on race day.... I will bring a wetsuit just in case... You never know but I doubt it.
  • Speaking of camp, what are folks' thoughts re training wheels vs race wheels?  I never train with race wheels, but am tempted to bring the 808/disc combo to test the wind's effect on them (and me).  I was getting ready to put new tubs on them, but may hold off, as the old ones look like they easily have 224 miles left on them. If I do bring them, am I going to be "that guy," standing out like am amateur, subject to ridicule for four days? 
  • @ Jeff - thanks for posting the Coach P camp feedback below.

@ MR - I only have two wheels, 808 on the front and a 303 w/ PT on the back.  I put a cover on the back wheel when I race but will not use the cover for camp......

Finally got my swim in yesterday evening: http://www.strava.com/activities/117698846   ......also slept well last night and no sore throat today so should be on track today......

Happy Tuesday all!

• Whoo...got waylayed by storm & work...need winter to end....warm(er) weather in sight....

Swapped Sunday ABP for Mondays Swim & Run because impending storm made it look like pool would be closed Monday...storm was only half bad....got in good Swim & Run on Sunday...and a 2hr. ABP trainer ride (.79IF) yesterday...

Today at the pool I had a good first half...but my form just deteriorated on the second half...Maybe because I swapped MS2 for MS1?...ie. I did the ladder (500/400/300/200/100) first and really seemed to exhaust my hips (hip rotation focus)...First set of 3x200 was "okay" but my form started to deteriorate on the first 200 of the second set...after the second...I called it a workout...finished up with 100 cooldown...3000 total...

....Thoughts on how to manage workouts v time....if I only had 1hr. there is no way I would ever get in 3700 yards...so how do you trim/manage the workout?

Keep rockin all....your inspiring.

• @ Joseph.  I have the same issue with the swim workouts....too slow to get the yardage done in an hour.  I plan to get at least 2 of the 3 swims in at full distance....probably will take me 1.5hrs though.  The third one will probably have to be as much as I can get done in an hour.  I read/heard from Coach R somewhere that the times posted for the workouts in the plan are just there as a guide for looking at the week in a glance....some people can get them done faster than prescribed time, while others will need more.  His quote was something like, "we AAA triathlon people HAVE to have a time written down for each workout....I have to put something there!".  If the runs were labeled by miles, you'd get done a lot faster than me, for example!  

@Mike...that is a great question.  I just asked Coach P last night that same question (even used the "that guy..." reference!).  I'll forward you his response.  I have a disk cover and a flo 60 for front vs. just my usual Zipp 101 f/r that I train on.

@Tim...thanks for the wetsuit info.  I'll bring it for sure (heck, I may use it anyway, since I have no podium chances!).

@SS....glad you're not sick.  Keep leading!

• Hey all - curious about how many of you are attending the camp in a few weeks. I was gonna skip because we are going on vacation for a week in a few days (to Hawaii. Will bring a bike!) and taking off more time from work (not to mention extra expense would be tough. Also, it seems like week 16 is the natural place for a weekend camp.
    Thoughts?
  • @Joseph, I too naively thought I could somehow get 3,700 done in an hour today.  I had to cut the last 300 and 200.  My two pennies: Hydrodynamics (i.e., form) is 75-85% of effective swimming. You don't see good coaches prescribing 800 and 1,000yd intervals where form breaks down after 500. You'd only be learning how not to swim correctly the last 300-500. Another coach once told me, the simple way to know when you're ready for IM is when you can do 7x500, on 30 seconds rest, at a strong pace, without ever breaking down form (that's my std RR 2 wks out). And the way to get there is through intervals of 500 and (usually) less. Coach R has the swim WKOs mostly set up to with the meat in MS1 (and sometimes MS2 as well), so I always crop off the end if necessary. If I'm late in a big WKO doing 400's, e.g., and my form starts to fall off, I stop, rest, and  turn them into 200s. For me, form trumps all, and I'd rather dry off than reinforce bad habits.

@Jimmy, coaches just added Camp Week to Wk15 this year. I asked Coach P about Wk 12 vs 15, he said there's no real difference, so I would go with what works best for you and family.  I'm using the big camp weekend as a springboard to propel me into 6 good solid weeks of race-fccused bike training (which is my glaring weakness).  And if camp decimates me, I'd rather be a hobbling mess in Wk 13 than 16.  But, as a camp attendee, I am far from unbiased.

• Thx mike. Guess it will play it by ear for now. Gonna try and do a lot of bike vol next week while on vacation in Hawaii. I like the idea of taking a long weekend for a camp but I will have to wait and see if the timing is right. Maybe by week 15 I will be ready.
  • 5 on the TM at lunch....with 4x1000's at Z4...mixed in...felt pretty good...

• @Jimmy - I plan to be at the camp
  • @Jimmy...I'm going to camp.

• Damn. All the cool kids are going to camp. Maybe the best time to float the idea is while we are in Hawaii and she has a drink w an umbrella in it in hand...

Running bummer. Tried to do today's run. Got 30min on the treadmill including the 2x1/2mi z4 but then the Achilles started to hurt so I stopped and immediately iced. Looks like I am setting myself up for a swim bike walk.
  • So bummed I cant go to the camp. Just not in the cards...or should I say wallet. Just cant swing the extra time away and the cost involved, so y'all have a great time ya hear?

Btw, incase any of you are interested www.outrivalracing.com has videos of the legs of the swim, bike and run, so it is really nice to "see" the course since I won't be at camp. Located under Ironman Texas tab.

5 mile recovery run on the tm early, followed by appt for Plantar...feeling good! Then only had time for a quick 1700 yrds in the pool before racing off to breakfast with a friend. It's National Pancake Day! Did you get yours? I did..

Keep up the great training!!!!!!
  • @ Jimmy...yes.  I like your timing on popping the question!  Bummer about the Achilles.  I think it was Mike who posted something previously about how many people begin their IM with 100% fitness and 75% health, which is often not as good as 75% fitness and 100% health?...I may have butchered that a little, but you get the point.  I've never had an Achilles injury, but I know as a physician that that thing is not to be messed with (along with the duodenum and pancreas).  It has terrible blood flow and just does not take a joke well....look how long it takes professional athletes to recover from ruptured Achilles....at least a year.  I wonder if you just shut the running off for a month (or even 6 wks) if you wouldn't be better off in the end? I know it's easier for me to say something like that from the healthy side of the fence, but really, if you don't give that thing a lot of time to heal, I'm afraid it will just keep flaring up every week or two.  Did you have problems with this before IMFL?  I know this must be REALLY frustrating.  I hope you figure it out.     

• @ Annie, we'll miss you at camp..... @ Jimmy, I plan on being there also.

@ MR - great post/comments on swimming below!

@Joe - impressive/motivating swim/run post!

@Tim - Sweet Baby Jesus!..........that ride had some elevation yesterday followed up by a strong run this morning!!

I also completed an Aqua / Run as well today.

Swim: http://www.strava.com/activities/117820023  Much harder than it looked on paper is all I have to say.......

Run: http://www.strava.com/activities/117820027  tough but very doable........

Looking forward to Bike Hell in the morning.........

• jeff - no. IMFL was clean in terms of injury. But I have had problems during marathon builds in the past. Arrosti usually clears it up. I won't be able to get in till after vacation though.
    So I might be undertrained but there isn't anything to be done about it. You are right, this is not one of those things that you can train thru. So I will push the swim and bike and the run will sort itself out. I just might not break the course record this time out. But given that this is a hobby, I am ok with that. control what you can control and that sort of thing.
  • @ Tim- Thanks for the insight about the sweat test & wetsuit for IMTX.

@Joseph- Ditto on what Mike said re: form. That should be the most imp't. thing.

@Jimmy- I really hope the achilles get better.  That's never a fun feeling.

I won't be at Training Camp.  A bit far for me to make the trip.  I would've loved to have met all you characters in person.  I guess I'll have to wait until race week. 

I did Wed's wko today:  

35 min TM run.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/455339401

1 hr Trainer ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/455339404

Love hearing from all of you!  Keep on leading...

• IMTX group is heating up just like its gonna be in Texas!

NO Injuries please! Those with heal fast!

3 wko's today , 7 mile run with 3 x 1 repeats, 3300yds swim mostly snorkel sets, and 2nd swim of the day was one on one coaching with video.... Good stuff to see yourself on video and to be critiqued by someone new... I still suffer from dropping my elbow and crossing over.... there is other stuff to workon but not until I sort that out.... 2nd half of my pull looks good... have some drills and band stuff to do to hopefully force and reinforce ealier verticle forearm.....

• Swim done.  Run done.  Not looking forward to the bike tomorrow.  Last week's wednesday bike nearly killed me, and I couldn't even finish it properly.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/117860757

Here is Coach P's reply to the question about aero wheels for camp, aero helmet, etc...:

"Yes to race wheels, but PLEASE TEST THEM PRE CAMP. Aerohelmet for RR if you plan on racing it...that part is optional..."

Mike...I'd kinda like to use mine.  If we both do it, then neither of us will be "that guy"!  

• @Jeff, I'll bring the race wheels, leave the Jetson's helmet at home. SS will be riding 808 front, 303 rear, so he'll steal most of the stares that would have otherwise been reserved for us. image

I'm currently warming up on the Iron Maiden, prpearing for the fun that is indoor Z4s and z5s.