Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

WK 9 IMTX Runnin' Down a Dream

Comments

• @JL, I think I've always recovered my SN bags when I actually cared enough to try, but the times I got them the next morning, they were just laying in a parking lot for anyone to take. The process may be improved now, but I wouldn't count on them being secure overnight. That said, I can't imagine what could happen to a pair of shoes during an 8.5-mile loop that would require needing a replacement pair. If rain is in the forecast, I'll put a pair of socks in a zip-lock bag and some duct tape in there. I too run in Newton's, and they don't drain that well. So, if really, really heavy rain is in the forecast, I'll probably run in my drain-quick K-Swiss. The only thing of value I'll have in a bag is a used spare tubular in bike SN. If I don't recover that, less crap to pack for the trip home.

One final thought: lots of people integrate SN bags into their race plan. If your nutrition plan calls for a stop at bike SN bag, fine. But people put snacks, drinks, clothing changes, BodyGlide, etc. in there, and stopping becomes part of the plan. And, sure enough, they stop, wait for the bag, get their Pringles, and move on 5 minutes later. I have spent too many hours securing small gains on the SB&R. Not gonna betray Training Me by lounging in transition, making five stops at porto-johns, or waiting for a volunteer to find my favorite beef jerky. Over a long day, those detours add up quickly. And it's not about racing or being competitive. It's about getting the day done as efficiently as possible. For me, SN bags are emergency only. Just my $.02.
  • @MR and TC....thanks.  Makes sense.  Will just deal with wet shoes and avoid SN if possible.  I don't plan to have anything I have to get except a new gel flask.  Tim....I'm planning to use the gel flask you recommended filled with Perform Gels.  I'll need a second one for the second half though.  Do you get yours from SN bag?...or does one last you the whole run?

• Everyone holding the line in Week 9 in a Leadership fashion!  Mojo meter runs strong within the IMTX team!

Last evenings Heat Acclimating 2X1s: http://www.strava.com/activities/133165634   It is warming up fast in Texas, as expected...

This morning's swim slog in the 50M outdoor pool: http://www.strava.com/activities/133310236

Nice long run performance EB!

KMF!! 

• jeff   I use the wet version of body glide in t2.     liberally put on toes and feet blister areas.         no blisters in the areas where used.  
  • @JL, most gel flasks carrry 4 or 5 ounces.  That = 4 or 5 gels.  I struggle to get 3 down during an entire IM run.  If you think you're going to consume 8-10 gels . . .   It's just me, but I would skip Run SN if you can.  There's a fully-staffed feast every mile.  You will be soooo sick of gels by the second half of the run, you'll probably enjoy grapes, oranges, pretzels, soup, etc. a LOT more than you would a gel if you get hungry.  But you probably won't be hungry.  For me, the last 6-8 is nothing but Coke - it will probably be the finest cola experience of your life. 
  • @Jeff L.... I use a 4oz flask filled with PB caffe latte , smaller in my hand and fits better in front of tri-suit when going thru aid stations to free up both hands , this lasts me until mile 18 or so , I then have 1 back up cliff espresso in my pocket also from T2 , after that its coke off the course... SO NO SN 4 ME....
  • For those of you who take salt sticks, how do you carry them on the bike and run?
  • I have them in a small ziplock bag in the bento box on my top tube in the bike and on my back pocket in tri-suit
  • 2x what GCP does.  Low tech.  Old school.
  • love the conversation moving from training to race-specific stuff -- it's getting real!

solid morning today with 45' run including 2x1 mile at Z4 (first was upwind, second was downwind)

followed up with 6x500 yds per the plan, but could only complete 2 of the 8x50s before time constraints and some foot/calf cramping made me call it a day

had some cramping my first go around during the IMTX swim and hope to avoid it this time. seems to happen after 2500 yds -- I'm using a very light kick and taking in Perform between each set, so not clear why it's happening. today may have been due to the run first, then swim. any others that have suffered from similar issues?
  • @MW, foot/calf cramping is pretty common and legendary in IM swimming.  It's almost certainly not a sodium or hydration issue, as you're filled up on both before the swim.  And even if it is, in a one-loop swim, there's nothing you can do about it.  The explanations from others that make sense to me are: (1) it's just a long way, and by 2,500m, a good percentage of your blood is up top swinging away.  Just like any other long discipline, the more you've practiced and built up LD endurance, the better.  (2) Lots of run and bike training tighten up the calf, ankle and foot muscles.  When we point our toes during the swim, we're fighting the tension we've built through all the bike/run training.  As soon as my swim endurance gets pretty high and I regularly stretch the ankles, cramping becomes a pretty rare thing.  When it does occasionaly occur during a race, I kick like crazy for a minute or two, and that usually helps.  Some frog kicks may also help.  But only if you're behind me.
  • I get foot cramps alot and its generally after about 3000yds/m. Mine usually are triggered by a flip turn. I tend to push off too hard and really point my toes. The cramps stop me in my tracks. I can generally just switch to open turns and really concentrate on kickin from my hips and relaxing my feet and they go away. Did my last RR swim and had no issues. That's the last thing I need to happen come race day.
  • @ MR and CK -- thx!

in the pool, mine are almost always triggered by a too aggressive push-off after an open turn (will learn flip turns at some point...)

next time it happens, I'll try out some aggressive hip-kicking and see if that does the trick!
  • Florida run special needs seemed like it was moving pretty quick. I didnt stop but as I came barelling through there at 10:15min / mi the SN volunteer had time to read my number, find my bag, open it, pull out a flask of pickle juice and ask me if I was sure I didnt want it.
    Remeber, mere mortals that when Tim says his gel flask lasts him till mile 18 that he is likely on the run course for an hour less than you (ok, me).

I cant see stopping on the bike but I can see synching up one of my 30 step walk breaks to coincide with grabbing another powerbar or two and my spare picklejuice. sitting down to change shoes or socks? Forget it. 50/50 that I would never get back up.

In other news, I went swimming at lunch.
  • first workout back post camp weekend...after 1 day off....i felt really good until i actually started swimming...then i just felt flat...i used pull buoys for the first time in a long while...but glad to be working/moving....now i have biz trip taking me to minneapolis...were i have extended my stay overnite thursday so i can get my long run in around the lakes there...looking forward t it as these are some old stomping grounds....

still can`t believe we are only four weeks out!   

....and hey...nobody knows what actually causes cramps....ya can only try to over off on mitigating the possible causes...but no garuntees...some people seem prone to them....others not so much...imho

• @JL...You used to live here in Minneapolis? Enjoy your run around the Lakes! Thursday is going to be icky, but Friday should be much better! Enjoy!!

Parked my trainer right in front of my fireplace this morn and did a 75 min interval workout. Sweat.POURING! Minnesota heat training at it's finest!

Making pasta for dinner and mentally prepping for my 18 miler tomorrow...on the treadmill. Oh yeah baby! Bring it!! image

• First Masters swim class today in over 4 months..... Started the class with a get out of the pool , now dive in and swim 25yds underwater .... Made it about 2/3 of the way, legs totally loaded up and I was starved for oxygen... Finished up the session with the same drill and made it the whole 25yds with ease... Amazing how much easier it was warmed up.... I hate drills, kick sets , don't do flip turns , don't do butterfly so when they do IM's I do extra freestyle... but it was nice to see old friends and the local tri-group again and did get in a few 200's and 100's all out but I really gotta swim by myself to get anything done.........

Ran 7.3 miles pre-lunch with 3 x 1mile repeats Z4+.... Running well and absorbing the miles pretty good! Sure wish I had some heat and humidity!
  • You guys are so awesome!!! 

I love reading the posts and guidance you all provide for one another.  Great advice from MR and TC for JL.  It gives me the warm and fuzzies when I see how genuine and helpful you all are.  

@RS- I'm going to incorporate your tip on the spray body glide for my feet at T2. 

I had to move my schedule around and did my 18 mi run on Mon:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/485908842

I tried doing my bike test on Tues, but my HR monitored died on me 10 mins into it. Changed batteries and still not working.  Garmin is mailing out the newer HR monitor to replace it.  Glad to have read that so many of you opted out of testing.  I'll probably do the same.

My chiropractor adjusted my shoulder yesterday and it felt a little better during today's swim.  I've only been swimming 1x a week, since I've had to drop the Mon's swim to accommodate the rest of the wko's and still have Sat's off to be at my kids sporting events.  

2.4 mi swim this morning: Time- 1:04:38.  That's a 37 sec improvement from last week.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/485908860

We're getting there!!  Keep on leading and thanks @SS for keeping all of us motivated.

• Started my 18 mile run at 4AM. At about mile 6 my plantar really started hurting. I tried to work through it but at about mile 12 I just couldn't take it and bailed. I'm gonna ice it and stretch and hopefully get in for an ART session today. I'd like to finish the last 6 miles this evening if my foot can take it.

Good luck today to all on your long run!
  • @Tim - as usual - strong, fast work on those 3X1s!!  I think you're getting faster as you age which again, supports my point that you are not human!

@Linda - way to get that long run done!  Strong work!!

@Chris - Mental 6 pack is definitely in place.  These workouts are already damn tough/overwhelming, but to run 12 miles at 4 a.m. with and injury is another level of effort........wishing you get some fast recovery on that foot!

Long Run in the books for me: http://www.strava.com/activities/133668458   No heat but, 87% humidity and 20 mph sustained winds out of the south - drank 1 gallon of perform and took in 5 Cliff shot bloks..........Did better than I anticipated (with high 60s) but did not hit the Z3 for the last 30 minutes of the run........

Moving forward......safe day to all out there today!

According to this thing, I'm done with the LR until 5/17. It was 80/80 = hot and humid, but not like last week's soaker. Run was smooth and easy until 16. For the "surge" at the end, I again visualized running down SS at the finish line, after coming off the bike 23 minutes behind him, to snag 103rd place in our bloated AG. It was glorious.
  • CK - dont break yourself over a workout. there is NOTHING magic about the 3hr run.
    (Im sure you know that but someone should still remind you.)
  • Yee-haw!!!! Last long run DONE!!! 18 miles on the treadmill in 2:35. Pretty much followed the protocol as 6 miles at about 9:15 pace, 8 at 8:30 pace and 2 at 8 min and last 2 whatever I had...about 7:45-7:30.

Stick a fork in me...I'm mentally cooked!!

Next long run is May 17th!!

Keep up the great works pees...but stay healthy above all else. image
  • @Jimmy- Thanks! Intellectually I know that but I know how my brain works and any perceived insufficient workouts will creep their way into my psyche come race day.
  • way to go you long runners.

last year, i caped things at 16 miles/2hours.     and tried to work those two hours.        seemed to work out well.

but this year getting a couple longer ones in.      20 miles planned for this weekend.     maybe half indoors due to cold and rain.     

my new Hokas really helping.

will practice Coke drinking because last Coke was at race last year.   dangerous stuff.     don't want to go to it too early.    don't want to wait too late.     those last 6-8 miles still need to worry about hydration.       so need to balance between coke, water, salt sticks.   all Perform for me up until that point. 

• 2:40 of running happiness today covering 17.45mi. 80min of z2 in there. Best of all, I just need 5.2mi saturday morning to hit 40mi for the week! Almost home!
  • @MR - for the record MR is shorthand for Make like a ROCKET in the water.  You, Tim, Linda and EB will be 30 minutes ahead of me on the first leg alone...!!  So, I don't forsee any "Running down SS".......LOL......I'll be Conservative on the bike vs. ApeShit knowing the heat index on the run will be waiting for me..............

Maybe you can strategize with me on how I can slow down the remaining 102 in our age group along the way......... 

@ Rob,  I will target somewhere close to 2.5 bottles of liquid / hour on the bike and 4-6 oz of perform each mile on the run ingesting Clif blok shots around mile 9 - 10 every 2 miles from there in............

@Annie - well done!

Keep the Long Run reports coming!

• awesome work everyone!!

had no idea this was the last long run until i was reading through the reports

confidence booster for me this morning:

6 miles @ 8:46 pace
    9 miles @ 8:15 pace
    3 miles @ 6:45 pace (that hurt, but was more comfortable than 60' @ Z2 last week)

together with admin time to/from Central Park, I was at ~21 miles in 2hr50min

apprehensive about how this all changes when it's not 40 degrees outside...
  • Lots of great running going on out there. It's motivating me to work harder on the run for this race . . . but for the fact that I'm already in run-taper mode. Hmmm . . . may have to sign up for something after this.

@Annie, your run looked like mine, except yours was on a treadmill, and I would have drug the thing to the curb before Mile 5. Understatement of the year: your mental toughness > mine.

@Mike W., your run looked like mine, except you went way farther. And faster. Anyone who happens to pass you or Robin on the bike and thinks they've got you, will have a big surprise waiting for them on the run. I would say the same for Tim, but with the pros getting a head start, no one's gonna pass him on the bike.

Tonight is a rest night. Which, in my family, means kids' karate and softball until 9. Just 10 years and a million or so more dollars, and they'll be out of the house. If I'm lucky.
  • Somewhat easy and mixed bike today with some 30sec vo2 intervals , couple short sweet spot intervals, and little .75 work to wrap it up....
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/486163480
    ran 4 miles on the TM at EP later in the day... windy and cold outside ... I miss Tucson...

Longruns look amazing across the board.... My last one will be this Sunday....