Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

WK 9 IMTX Runnin' Down a Dream

Comments

• Long(est) run (in my life) done....wasn't too bad....much easier than last week's 1.5hrs at Z2/3 (that was just pure evil).  Work FINALLY cooperated and let me get it done in daylight and heat.  Was 88-90degrees, but did not feel nearly as hot as usual, as there was a slight breeze and only 38% humidity.  Not nearly as soaked as usual.  Managed the last 3 mi at Z2-->3, but couldn't have continued that ANY longer!  

Tried a different nutrition strategy, but bailed during mile 3 as it was clearly not going to work.  Instead of drinking 4oz perform/mile and one PB gel every 3 miles, I tried 8oz perform/mile and no gels (both strategies get me enough calories and sodium, but I am thinking the former would be better from a hydration stanpoint).  Unfortunately, 8oz/mile pretty quickly led to some nausea and sloshing of the stomach contents/burping.....so went back to the prior plan.  I guess that's the point of these little "long runs"!  

It is truly amazing how different 90 degrees can feel depending on humidity.  I have run at 80degrees and high humidity and felt much worse/sweated much more than the dry 90degrees today.  Unfortunately the Houston area is basically a swamp.  

http://app.strava.com/activities/133870046

• Sometimes things just work out....travelin' on Biz this week in Minneapolis....presentation went well...and finished up in time to make it over to the most excellent running trails around Lake Calhoun, Lake of the Isles, and Lake Harriet in Minneapolis...it was cold, low 40's and raining all day....but in the late afternoon the weather cleared...to just cool overcast...was able to zip off 13miles @ 7:43 avg.......I was concerned how my legs my feel as I just did 17 on Monday...in fact I question Coach P because the wiki guidance for the Sat-Mon Camp was tues & wed off and back to schedule on Thursday....I just didn't think going 135 on Monday and 135 again two days later made sense and he said to cap it at 90 min....but try to pepper the finishing pace...so I'm pretty pleased with the way this has all gone down....now I get to eat on the company dime...relax in a room I don't have to clean...and fly home in the morning...not a bad gig some days.
  • Great job on the runs today folks!

I got in another 5 miles this evening after having my foot worked on.  It was markedly better, but unfortunately the usual pain persisted.  I don't think that will ever get better.

Gonna try my RR swim tomorrow with my Swimskin.  Do any of you zip yours up solo?  Mine is so tight, I have to have help, but don't really want to ask some stranger to help me tomorrow. 

• Way to go on those fast runs out there!!!

I did Sat's 5 hr bike ride this morning.  As usual, being near the coast we deal with constant head/crosswinds.  Well, 30 mins into my ride, I caught a headwind gust, paired with another gust created by a fast driving truck which resulted on me "literally" being ran off the road about 8-10 ft.  I was on my aero bars and all I could do was try and keep it together as it was happening.  Thank God there was no curb and there were some low bushes, otherwise I would've went over the handlebars.  I managed to stay on the bike, but was shaken up.  I rode another 4.5 hrs from that point, and experiences like these always hit me more once I get home.  Things could turn on a dime and I'm just thankful that I wasn't sucked in towards the road and oncoming traffic.   Needless to say, I'm going to ride the trainer for 3.5 hrs tomorrow (Sun's ride), and get a mental break from the road.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/486524083

• @CK...I have only swum in my swimskin once, at my Golds gym. No way I can get it zipped myself...I tried, but nearly dislocated my shoulder! I just asked random guy in the locker room! No sweat.
  • Swim skin self zip trick- check the zipper. Mine (Roka) has a little gap between the zipper tab and the zipper body. I can thread a little cord thru it and use it as a zipper pull.
    Of course, you could just ask the guy in the locker room to help but this also works.
  • @JA....I thought about that, but of course, had no spare thread/string available.  Probably should keep one with my swimskin, but I'm not embarrassed to ask for help either!  We look like such dorks to the general non-triathlete populus that I long since stopped caring what people think....and I don't even wear Hokas!  

• Thanks Jimmy and Jeff.

I think mine is too tight to even zip it up using a cord. The two sides of the zippers have to be forced together then zipped. Maybe mine is just too tight altogether?
  • No speed records set today but a nice big endurance swim ladder is done..... 5200yds starting at 300yds adding 100yd per interval up to 1000yds..... resting up for the last big weekend....
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/486752829#
  • Swim RR done! 1:04:31, 1:31/100yd with Swimskin. I'm very pleased that I was 4 sec/100 faster than without swimskin. That may be the cheapest time savings I've invested in do date.

• Swim RR complete in Dallas: http://www.strava.com/activities/134135845

Fast work Chris and Tim!

Happy Friday all!

• Nice work y'all on the RR swims! I opted for a broken 4200. Did a workout from last week I think...200 wu, 4x400, 4x300, 4x200,4x100. Am really trying to visualize the course and break up my swims into 3 segments of 1400 each. It really helps me to envision where I am on the course rather than going back and forth a gazillion times starring at that damn black line! image.
    My time was 1:17 total moving time as intervals. Will do another straight 4200 next week. My low back on the right side gets a bit right and sometimes spasms up when I try to swim continually. Not too bad today.

Another 5 hr trainer ride on tap this weekend. The weather looks decent tomorrow, but we can't train until Sunday when...you guessed it...crap weather. Cold, rain, wind and potential thunderstorms. Yeah!

Make it a great weekend peeps!!!
  • I have been trying to do similar swimming visualizations.

Shaughn Does Dallas.                 Are you the only Texan coming to the race for EN?

• crap. I missed that today was a RR swim. I was so rushed at work that I only had 40min in the water. So I didn't even check the workout and just swam 2000M trying to speed up ever 500. Ended up with 38:34 with a 9:18 final 500. Which is actually pretty good for me.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/486989288#
  • @ Rob - Jeff Leslie I and Jimmy Augustine are also native Texan......
  • RR swim done.  Pool was normal temp today .  1:17:10.  No problems, except for boredom .

Looks like I'll have some wind and heat for the bikes this weekend.  And two soccer games, hosting a soccer pool party, and trying to stay out of the doghouse .  Is it May 17 yet?

• 168 lengths is mindnumbing...I break it down into 4x40 lengths and finish with an all-out 8 lengths

Thankfully, my first time in the pool in a speed suit sped things up a bit. Shaved 5 min off my previous RR time for a 1:11:30 (7 sec/100yd faster than last time). I'll take it!
  • @ MW....I think that improvement is due to more than a speedsuit.  If not, I need to know which speedsuit you have!

• @JL - I got the Xterra one where we have a big EN discount. I agree it's probably more than just the suit and some additional swim endurance coming back. Totally ran out of gas last time -- a bit less this time around.
  • During today's run warm-up, I went back to the standard EN w/u with 4x strides. Really needed it after Thursday's long run and the RR swim yesterday. Felt each and every muscle group loosen up (calves, hips, shoulders/neck, lats -- you name it, it's sore at this point). Felt great after the strides and banged out a mile at 6:36 at the track and then headed back home for 40' total run

Spending a few SAUs this afternoon with my long ride. I guess this is the time to cash them in...

Good luck all!
  • So back in NH and its low 40's with rain.... Buddy of mine wants to ride the Kancamangus Highway LOL NO THANK YOU.... So I'm thinking if he is gonna ride in that, the trainer won't be so bad! WRONG! It was a hard ride physically and mentally but I know I wasn't alone today.... Finished it up with a 6 mile run on the TM ... At least I was warm...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/487543867

Buddy sends me the notes of his EPIC Kanc ride and yes I made the right decision..... It was snowing and 35 degree's WTF... Told him well your not so smart after all .....

I gotta say it feels good to be done with the really long rides... Will feel even better at the end of tomorrow when I can say I am done with long runs too!
  • was able to get 4 hrs in on the bike. The first on the trainer at an if of .76 and the next 3 outside at .77. Did my best to up intensity in place of vol. Now to rest up and do it all over again tomorrow.

I keep looking at the work y'all are putting in and it is really mind bending. I have upped vol and intensity a bit relative to IMFL and I am still lagging y'all. Great stuff and very inspirational.

• Wrapping up a jumbled week...consisting of "recovery" week from Camp and some biz travel...Today I got outside fo 4hrs/just about 80miles...a really nice ride...was very pleased...176NP/.78IF...+ 33minutes/4mile steady brick........I'll call it an RRR...race rehearsal rehearsal...

I may opt to swim and run tommorrow rather than an ABP ride...I did have much swim opportunity this week due to travel...

ANNIE regarding breaking up the course into threes...visuallizing that is good...my one words (huh) of advice would be that the the final leg in the waterway....seems longer...mentally and it is just different from the other two legs....you actually gets splashback waves because of the churn within the narrow channel...the water seems choppy and it is very brackish in there...I swallowed alot of warm brackish water in the canal/waterway and it was the worst part of the swim...just sayin'...if anyone else who has been there wishes to comment ...agree or disagree as you will thats just my two cents....be prepared for it.

• In hindsight, I shouldn't have looked forward to the weather for today's long ride. OK for the first half, but not a lot of pop in the legs. Slow, gradual power drain the second half. It was just crazy hot/humid, and most of the second-half focus was on hydration and nutrition (used everything I brought). Launched a bottle, only to watch grandma run over it. Shot the lid about 40 feet into the bushes, followed by a lemon-lime geyser onto the roadway. I'm OK with eating $20 worth of gels/blocks on a ride, but losing my favorite insulated bottle hurt. She's lucky I didn't have a golf ball in my bento. At 96, I called it good, limped home at Z1. The good news: I now know what to expect if it's hot/humid (hint: it gets old). The bad news: my total IF for the ride, with the cruise home, was 69%. The reason for hope: I still averaged 20.9 over the entire 104.

Tomorrow's supposed to be even hotter. That ride is gonna take a lot of motivation. Hope everyone had smooth, productive days of training.
  • Long ride done.  Finished at dusk (soccer game this AM).  Got the 40' run in while they were warming up for the game, which was harder than I expected (stupid me).

http://app.strava.com/activities/134398789

Ride felt a little easier today, I think just getting "used to" these longer rides.  First 3hrs at 0.77IF and last 2hrs at 0.7IF.  Hope I can find the time to get 2-3hrs in tomorrow. Tons of family stuff, work, church, etc... 

http://app.strava.com/activities/134558488/analysis

• The Fowl of Fatique came home to roost for a ride on my back and shoulders today....50miles (felt like uphill against the wind both ways as my mom used to say about going to school)....ended .70IF so I guess it was okay...but the last hour against the wind was fowl or foul...lol

Alot of swimming planned for me the next couple of weeks...as much as I can get in....frequency more than volume...as I can get to the pool for an hour often....I can't get 1 1/2hrs. as much....

90 degrees today in Houston.....downright chilly....I love the heat...I chose TX (and LOU before) because I prefer the heat ...(I can do without  humidity...you can keep that in FLA)....but I expect the heat in TX...(I won't be mad if its 80's though )

• call it a mini RR. 3hr ride at IF of .71 then a 1hr run with a hr cap at 150 for the first 40 min. Pretty sure that 150 will be the cap for the first run loop.

http://tpks.ws/ulX1
    http://tpks.ws/U6yZ

AAAAAND with that run, I crossed 40 mi for the week! 41.25 to be exact. and with last week's 39, that makes 80mi in 2 weeks. Now time to back the run vol off and soak it all in.
    By far best 2 weeks of running vol I have ever put together. Gotta say that I feel fine too!
  • 5 hour trainer ride done! This is getting sooooooooooo old! Was supposed to do a century ride with a big bunch of peeps today, but the weather was laughable! Thunderstorms, pouring rain and WIND! Cold too!!

Opted for the tried and true trainer routine ( which we now unfortunatley have down to a science). We cranked the fireplace, heat on, extra heater and humidifier! Was 85, so about as close as we can get to heat training w/o sitting smack dab in front of the fireplace. Followed up with an absolutely ridiculous 4 mile "run" in the most ferocious wind and pouring rain. Uphill. Seriously was a joke. We ran much faster than the prescribed pace because we would have froze to death or have been blown over. At one point we were heading straight into a howling wind, up a HUGE hill and being pelted by freezing rain. We were actually laughing it was so stupid! lol!!! We were soaked and ran through every puddle, so Operation Run In Soaked Shoes was a raving success today. Pulled the plug at 4 miles instead of 6, because really, what's the point at this point. Will run 6 next weekeknd. Felt good actually, but was shivering and needed to get into some dry clotes asap.

Got back and checked the weather... 22mph wind, thunderstorms, rain and a "real feel" of 19 degrees!!! Really?? lol!!!

Seriously...
  • Damn Annie!  IMTX is going to be quite boring for you with no sub-freezing temps, hills, treadmills, rain, hail or high winds!!  LOL.....way to fight through that trainer ride and crazy run!!

I got most of it done this weekend in between Birthday duty activities.

Sat Century ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/134382746

Sun Morning Pre Waffle/Coffee consumption run: http://www.strava.com/activities/134728737

Sun ABP trainer ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/134873684

Onward to Week 10!

• After yesterday's 6hr training of 5hr bike 1hr run..... I slept for 9 hours , got up this am had breakfast and coffee, went back to bed for another hour, got up had more coffee, ran 15 miles on the track , lunch , 1 hour nap out cold , got up had something to drink and back to the couch for 2 more hours , eventually got up and had some green tea and a snack , walked the dogs in the rain , and finished up the wko with 7 miles run on the TM..... dinner and back to the couch.... SOOOO glad this is the last big weekend until 5/17..... Cutting back next weekend's ride to 4hrs and the long run down to 1:45.....