Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Josh Church Coach Thread

edited May 25, 2019 9:01AM in Coaching Forum 🧢

Just viewed my season plan and my transition plan starting tomorrow. Due to my work schedule is it possible to shift the days around as such: Monday- Swim, Tuesday off, Wednesday Bike, Thursday- Swim, Friday-Run, Saturday- Bike, Sunday- Bike. Me sleeping on tuesday is the main objective because I work nightshift and i have learned from previous training that it is best if i can take this day off.  Looking forward to working with EN the rest of my season. 

Comments

• Options
    Josh, you got it! Sleep = #1.

I also see you are doing 1 session a day (bike on wed vs bike/run). Will you be following that type of plan moving forward?

~ Coach P
  • Options

What I did leading up to IMTexas was swim/bike Monday and just run on wed. I seemed to tolerate it well. I will have to look over my season plan and see if Coach rich has me switch to two a days. Since I'm starting week two of transition

• Options
    Josh, check it out. We can work with anything; just knowing what your ideal schedule is will make my work that much easier! So feel free to outline that here and I can help you sort it out.
  • Options
    Ill just post my available hours each day. I use to for example swim 720-830, eat/rest then ride 1115-12 on trainer. I never really knew if that was enough time between sessions but I had no issues with it. And it was legit feet up rest or sleep from 9-11 post swim, I'm thinking that helped. Anyway here is my availability:
    Monday: 630am-12pm
    Tuesday: Rest/could work in short run
    Wednesday: free after 2pm
    Thursday: 630am-12pm
    Friday: free after 2pm
    Saturday: free
    Sunday: free
  • Options
    Josh, thanks for that! Given that you are on the Get Faster plan right now I think that you will be okay re your hours...or rather, minimal adjustments will be needed.

Here's what I suggest:

Mon - Swim + Tuesday FTP Run.
    Tue - OFF, don't bother! Rest is Best!
    Wed - Bike as planned, short brick run of 15' @ TRP
    Thu - Swim from Wed and then Thursday Run.
    Fri - Swim or Run, whatever works.
    Sat - As Planned.
    Sun - As Planned.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Yea that will work great. Thanks for the guidance.
  • Options
    Josh, great! Let's check in the week after next to see how things are going....feel free to set up a call if you like. My schedule is online here: http://meetme.so/patrickmccrann -- Please remember to include your phone number.

Enjoy the long weekend!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Hey coach P, i'm starting the GF Intermediate plan Monday 6/6, having to play the first half of this week by ear due to modified work schedule. Monday Ill take it off, Tuesday- is it ok to do a 5k run test, i want to get the pace zones nailed down for further training. After that wed-Sunday should flow normally. 

FYI: did a good ride Sat 6/4, with the prescribed intervals and feeling good at the end of post IM 3 weeks ago. Also going to try and connect my training peaks so yall can look at the info too and maybe give some feed back from that. Don't have a power meter, so im just going by feel and HR. 

• Options
    Josh, that's perfect. Once you connect TP.com, just add it to your profile (the public link) so we can see it. Here are instructions: http://bit.ly/1TuptA1
  • Options
    Coach P, tried to link my garmin connect to my profile. could you see if it worked? i have a feeling it could be wrong. training going good this week, the 5k test run was killer, working out soreness. The pace zones seem pretty accurate did the 70 min negative split run on inter. GF plan week 1 today and it was a good challenge.
  • Options
    Josh, you are almost there. Your link to Garmin needs to look like this:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/pjmccrann

You can get this by going to Garmin Connect, Clicking on the Head icon, then right clicking to save the link to your "View Profile" thing. That's the link.

Assuming your link is public, we are then all set!!

I think you are in a great place; those zones are exactly where you want to start. Let's keep it up!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Quick question, for the run workouts lets say MS:2x1 mile (4') How should I do the 4' recovery? zone 1 pace or walk or what? and my bike recovery just easy pedaling? I feel like I have seen this answer somewhere on the site but i cant remember where. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Josh, no worries. It really depends on how much you need to rest to make sure the second (or third) interval is as good as the first. So on a cool day when I am rested and feeling good...it's an easy Zone 1 or TRP pace. On a hot day when I am fatigued / suffering, I am likely to walk the first 30 to 60 seconds before jogging the remaining 3 minutes.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Coach P, looking ahead at my plan i cant make it to the southeast camp so I am going down to chatt and ride/run the course july 22-24. That will be on week 11 of the intermediate full IM plan. just wanted to know how to approach this week should i mimic the southeast camp schedule? I may be getting ahead of myself here but im a planner.
  • Options
    Josh -

I don't think it's a good idea to put that much volume that early in your plan. Camp week exists where it is for a reason. That said you can still go do great work when you're out there on the course.

I suggest you plan on doing to use of the course on both days to get in the full right experience. Bonus if you get the chance to run across the river and see the hilly side of the run at least once. If you are there for just two days then do that as part of brick run. If you are there for three days, then it's long ride short run on Friday, long ride on Saturday, long run or some flavor of run on Sunday.

When you're done with the weekend, you'll deftly want to take that Monday off to recover. Then you can continue with the regular week. When you get the camp week itself we can still do a long ride set; we'll just keep it local to you. Let me know what your training constraints are for that weekend at home and we'll go from there.
  • Options

ok i figured it was little early. ill ride 100-112 with 1'or 6mi run after. my friends are swimming and running sunday but i would rather ride again anyways, 50-60 miles??and hopefully i can find a buddy. how does that sound?

During camp week I have about 4 hours open on thursdy and friday and weekend is free.

• Options
    Started intermediate full IM plan today, due to my work schedule this is what we settled on during the GF plan the past 4 weeks.
    Mon - Swim + Tuesday FTP Run.
    Tue - OFF, don't bother! Rest is Best!
    Wed - Bike as planned, short brick run of 15' @ TRP
    Thu - Swim from Wed and then Thursday Run.
    Fri - Swim or Run, whatever works.
    Sat - As Planned.
    Sun - As Planned.
    What workouts do we need to move around in the full intermediate IM plan to accommodate my work schedule? I also plan on throwing in a workout on Tuesday every now and then if I feel rested enough
  • Options
    Josh, I assume your availability is still as follows:

Monday: 630am-12pm
    Tuesday: Rest/could work in short run
    Wednesday: free after 2pm
    Thursday: 630am-12pm
    Friday: free after 2pm
    Saturday: free
    Sunday: free

I think this might be the best plan...bear with me:

Wed - FTP Bike / run day
    Thu - Swim, then FTP Run
    Fri - Swim
    Sat - Long Ride / Run as planned.
    Sun - ABP ride as planned.
    Mon - Long run day
    Tue - OFF

This gets you two rest days (one proper, one swim only) and separates the "hard work/recovery" mid week sessions from your weekends.

The compromise here is that your Monday runs might suffer a bit...I would still try to split them like 6:30-7:30 and again 11-12, etc.

What do you think?
  • Options
    Yea I see what your thinking. I like it, I am a little worried about how I will feel on my runs on Monday. I will definitely do this schedule next week and let you know if I have any issues. Also, "my run may suffer" Are you thinking my running fitness when I reach race day may be subpar?
  • Options
    Give it a week. I just mean that you are going to be starting on tired legs...so it'll be a bit of a slog. Good nutrition will be critical!
  • Options
    Split long run went well. It was definitely done on tired legs. Anyways this weekend is when I will be in Chattanooga to check out the course. My plan calls for big weekend. I won't be swimming down there is it ok to ride 100 or so with a run shortly after. And ride again sunday? Any better suggestions for time amount on run or bike?
  • Options
    Yes to the long rides. No need to swim that's fine. Ideally it's two loops both days...running really short is okay....I'd rather you focus on getting the rides in for time on the course and experience. Both days, remember your focus is on riding steady and a "good" last hour (no fading!).
  • Options
    Sweet should be a great weekend. My long run is Monday, it is fine to go ahead with it as planned right? If I feel super run down I will keep it short.
  • Options
    Yes!!! How'd it go?
  • Options
    Great, 111 sat, 65 Sunday, ran 8.6 Monday. Legs were feeling it Monday so I did as much as I could but not to flare up the ole' IT band. I did go out a little hard on the bike on Saturday , shame on me, and it was blazing hot. So that last 30'-60' was tuff. Learned a lot from the course and how it can be easy to get sucked into pushing to much on the way out to hog jowl on the first loop. Sunday might have been a little too easy, I just enjoyed my road bike and paying attention to the course. Stayed steady on Mondays run. Leg fatigue brought back memories from IM Texas run, so I think it was work well done. Ready to get started again this week! 9 weeks out anything special I should plan this week or next?
  • Options
    Josh, great to chat you up the other day...let's keep up the good work!

The biggest thing is making sure you have a flex day in case you need to take it off. That Tuesday, for example, after the big weekend + run work. Your fatigue is higher than before, so we have to be mindful not to push too hard such that you suffer too much in proportion to your fitness gains!
  • Options
    I don't know if you will answer before the weekend but I was reading through the bike wiki and saw something about why EN doesn't do 5-6 hour rides but I noticed just about every sat ride from here on is 300min. I under stand when it's RR but what about the others, just curious.
  • Options
    Josh, it depends on the plan you are in...if you are Adv and in big final weeks, you'll see the volume. That said, most IM plans do long rides for 12 weeks..... image

If you want to cut it back we absolutely can.

Ps if you are on the minimalist plan then the long bike volume is up there...
  • Options

Coach P, should I change any runs around this weekend since my long run is Monday? I think I can complete them just fine, I will just pay close attention to how i feel before and during Sundays run. That way I can have a solid long run on Monday. What do you think? 

• Options
    Josh, you can do this week as planned with the monday run...it's next week that will need some adjusting to get you back on track. I usually tell folks to push the Thursday run of the subsequent week to Friday...then we can get back to Thursday the next week.

Let me know what you think!

~ Patrick