Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Josh Church Coach Thread

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Perfect. I don't want you falling asleep at all...and worst case after 58
    at .71 you can always dial it back a bit and recover before the run!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Perfect! 😎

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Congrats on crushing Kona! I’m still recovering from IMCHOO. HR is not anywhere it should be in my workouts yet. I’ve been loosely following the 4 week post IM plan. I really wanted to be back in shape to do some fall running races in Nov. but I don’t think that’s going to pan out.

Im planning on starting RDP October 29 and easy my way into it as I need. Run a fast Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving and continue with RDP through January.

Im only racing IMCHOO again, Key Race, and I’m signed up for BRC again.

I pushed my HR most of the day racing in Chattanooga so I guess this is why my recovery is so much slower than previous IMs. I would like to schedule a coach call and talk about my performance at Choo just a little.

• Options

https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min — would be great to catch up.

Recovery is a weird thing, it’s hard to put your finger on it. Well you are running frequently in the run durability Palan don’t be afraid to get out on the weekends if there’s some nice weather and ride longer just all bundled up on the road bike. All bike volume helps! Especially because it’s different than what we will be up to in the out season. You are welcome to push things on the bike as you see fit as it’s not as costly as the run.

I’m not worried about Run fatigue as much as I am about any infrastructure issues but it sounds like you have no problems there.

Sometimes the fatigue is less about the race itself and more about all the work you did leading into the race. I know this is a big year for you so I am not against you listening to your body and doing the right thing. I would encourage you to sign up for a few five keys because I think you might be surprised at how fast you can run even if you aren’t necessarily planning for it. Just make sure you warm up.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Recap of Coach call, lets see if I remember correctly 🙄

Race Feedback:

Bike

• Move to Mid-compact crank to cut out extra coasting from spin out.
    • Maximize speed by utilizing gears to have continuous momentum

Run

• Found my new "suffering but sustainable HR" 152-162
    • Be better at aid stations and walk every other one instead of giving up time at all of them until mile 20 or so.

RDP and OutSeason

• Ill be hitting 20 mile running this week. Back to feeling normal and Im following the RDP Phase 1 thru 3
    • Going to try and PR 5K (Turkey Trot, December 5K, and Jan. 5K)

Here is a 2019 Road map link I made up let me know what you would change. I just did it based off of last year.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2018 8:14PM

Looks perfect, and I agree 100%. I enjoyed our coach called as well, our use the same strategies for my run in Cozumel. By focusing on running as much of the stations as possible I was able to find some new time! I think you’ll find this beneficial as well and I look forward to this new approach manifesting itself this year.

I would encourage you to add some additional volume into your winter training as well. Consider those week five and week 10 test sessions in the out season to be opportunities to add some additional cycling. This would mean going on on Friday Saturday and Sunday as you are able to give in your schedule. Will be nice to put up some 250 or 300 mile Zwift Weeks as anchor points to the work you’ll be doing in season. Let me know what you think.

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Alright, Its about time I say something on here this year!

Im feeling good post Blur Ridge Camp. Im in Bike Focus block for a bit but Im also swimming when I can and trying to keep run at 25 miles a week.

My bike race is July 13th, I would like to do a small taper for it. Similar to IM but not as serious so I can keep up my run mileage. I wanna feel kinda fresh on race day instead of "just another long sat ride." Give me a little advice on the final two weeks leading into the race.

Work is still sucking the life out of me every other week. lol Im working 7 straight 12 hr nights this week so im squeezing in rides and runs as much as I can. It is what it is, Im ok with it 🙄.

Spectating 70.3 CHOO gave me a jolt of energy and awakened my triathlon self for he year. I'm now ready to start the full plan when the time comes.

• Options

Great to hear from you. I’m super glad you were able to go to the 70.3, I think that’s the perfect way to get re-energized for the year for sure. OK, two things on the agenda today. The first is your bike race.

The primary part of this taper will be reducing the run volume. Two weeks out your one volume should be about 20 miles in the week of the race the run volume should be about 10 miles total with no runs in the last three days. You can spin the legs out but no running please.

In terms of tapering for the ride itself you can do your normal training in a week too but that weekend you want to do a two hour easy ride with 8 to 10 30” sprints. You can recover 10 to 20 minutes after each one, but really challenge yourself getting after it. Bike racing is all about not getting dropped. I would also do some reading up on strategy or talking to the team here in the forums. You should pretty much never find yourself on the front! If you do, something bad is likely about to happen.

Feel free to sketch that out and I can get back to you on it. I was thinking a little bit more about your bike week about your training situation with work. I am us feel like we need to have two different types of weeks for you so you can feel like you’re achieving your goals but we are compromising your recovery. The last thing you want to do is have you do a great deal of training during the week when you’re working and then you are fatigued during the time you are rested. Does that make sense?

If you could take a minute and just outline for me how much time you have during the day to train without going overboard during a typical work week that would be super helpful. Have a great weekend!

• Options
    edited May 26, 2019 6:12AM

@Coach Patrick

My last few work weeks I have averaged 5-6 hrs of exercise. Close to evenly divided between run/bike. I haven’t been utilizing my Mondays as much as I do when I start the IM plan and sometimes I have a night off in the middle of my work week, which is where I squeezed in my long runs last year. I’m basically planning on mirroring last year since it seemed to work ok. I would do 18ish hrs training on my off week and 7-9 on my work week. So here is my work week:

Monday: 4hrs

Tuesday-Saturday: 30-60 

Sunday bike: 60-90min 

From there I would ride 240-300min Monday afternoon (2 o’clock) when I wake up. Then crush my off week.

If I’m tired or feel like I need to sleep I do during my work week. Sleeping during the day just isn’t the same quality. A lot of times I’ve got super heavy legs during my work week so I’m just getting through it. But I have confidence this approach works.

• Options

I like how you have differentiated between the two types of weeks. I’m wondering if we want to actually change the training as well. For example, my guess is they get into the pool and those limited windows during your week week is really challenging so we just save us from session for the weekend. Then he would do three swims on your nonwork week.

Similarly, during your work week we would do shorter harder intervals and leave room for a longer riding in that off week. My guess is we could do a good job of alternating quality with recovery and volume weeks such that we could continue your progression and not stress you. Whatever you want to choose is fine by me, just know that I’m here to help.

• Options

UPDATE:

Hey @Coach Patrick

Finished my first race on the calendar for this year. It didn't go down quite as planned but still felt pretty good about the day. Long story short 98.6 miles 8700 ft gain, not terrible. Mile 4.1 I crashed chasing lead group, crossed a tiny bridge while passing people and could make the sharp right turn. Came out limping but after 5 miles of easing back into it, I got back to work. Mile 56ish got a flat on the cleanest road of the day, 🤷‍♂️, 2 min removing/installing new tube and 9 min getting the dang tire back on! That was ridiculous, the conti's always fit super tight on my boyd rims but my gosh. That means I was solo the rest of the ride, couple guys rode my wheel, one tried to pull but caved in after a couple mins so I went on.

Comparing clock time from last year 6:25:00, this year 5:53:00. 3rd AG 20 OA, apparently there were only 20 competitive riders and I brought up the rear with all my mishaps.

Did some damage to my leg when I bunny hopped into the ditch, the grass was soft just not soft enough. Looks like I bruised my Fibula from what I can tell. still swollen and it looks like I need a cane when I walk. All range of motion is good so I dont think I did anything worse as of yet.

Really bummed about no running this week, really hoping I can start back next week. I will swim in place of running as much as I can. I'll probably to a short easy ride once this week and go from there.

Tons of fun and loved overcoming the obstacles. Just hate I'm sidelined for a bit. Heres to a quick recovery for IMCHOO

• Options

Thanks for all the detail here, if you haven’t done so already please fill out our race report: https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/q7a69dd1purtki/ 👍

It would be great to show folks on the team that there’s more out there than just Triathlon.

As you know, I have been following along with the updates in the group for me. I am mildly concerned about the situation and deafly want to know that you are healthy before we start adding significant run volume back into the mix. I am aware that you are worried about your fitness, but we can easily use the bike to keep your baseline level of fitness hi until the run he can come back around again. In short, it’s better to do this right then to do it quickly.

Feel free to update me here or over there.