Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Josh Church Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    @Josh Church -  you were doing all the right things by making these tweaks and changes now. All of this is eliminating friction from race day which will make for a smoother and faster experience. Keep me posted! 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Hey coach, I am resting and recovering like a pro and I have already uploaded the Post IM recovery plan. I will be cycling/running/hiking just to stay fit and in shape for our Nepal hiking trip in Nov. So here is my Out Season conflict and just looking forward to 2018 season planning wise.

Im going to Everest Base Camp Nov. 7-26. The rest of December through Jan. 13th is open hopefully coming back from Nepal healthy!!  Then we have a cruise from Jan 14-28.  Just tell me what you think is the best way to structure and piece together some good running and bike work. Here is what I was thinking.

December-January: Run Durability. Im expecting some FTP trainer work is incorporated in this also.
    February: Load up and do 2017-2018 Outseason Plan. 

I am only racing IMChoo 2018 and I am on the waiting list for Blue Ridge Camp. 

Let me know what you think. 

• Options
    @Josh Church -   Congratulations on the race in the breakthrough performance. Super impressed, and nice to see that your trajectory continues to improve over the long-term.

Recovery now is critical and run durability is perfect for you. We want to keep you fit but we don’t want you getting sharp as you prepare for this awesome journey in Nepal.

I agree that or February start to the OS is likely best, even though it will be relatively quiet for you I know you will not be lacking in motivation.

I am 99% sure you will get into Blue Ridge no problems, so we should plan on that for sure and then begin looking long-term and how to handle CHOO based off of what you learned this year!  
  • Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

Recovered from IMChoo and heading to Nepal for some hiking. Im continuing 2 bikes per week and 4-5 durability runs. Will Start the Run Durability plans in December and finish the end of January. Then doing the Febuary Out Season. 

Your Races

09/30/2018 IM Chattanooga "A" 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 11/02/2017 
    • On 10/30/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/26/2017
    • On 11/27/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/24/2017
    • On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018
    • On 1/29/2018 Load the Advanced OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 5/6/2018
    • On 5/7/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 5/20/2018
    • On 5/21/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 7/1/2018
    • On 6/18/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Full to end on 9/30/2018
    • On 10/1/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/28/2018
    • On 10/29/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/25/2018

Coach Notes

Hey, great to hear from you! RDP is perfect, and I set it up ^above^ to include a "break" during Xmas week...then it's OS, Swim Camp, Bike Focus (we can discuss) and the IM build. I think we should include some more lessons learned from last year...but let's give ourselves some time on that for now. Enjoy that running and be sure to check out the group: GroupMe Chat for RDP  

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Got it, thanks.  I have been so far removed from thinking about tri stuff lately its tough to read this with much clarity. lol. Ill get back on the horse when we return and I start RDP.

Another important note that we can talk about later.  My work schedule is changing next month, not in a good way for training.  Ill be working six twelve hr night shifts one week, then off seven days the next week, and repeat.  I got tired of trying to figure out a good weekly train schedule for my work week so I just hung that up for now.  I do think this interferes with my goals at IMChoo 2018 but I will defiantly put in all the training I can and see how it turns out. 

Like I said we can cover this small hurdle later, but if you have any ideas go ahead and share them.  Be back in the country around 11-25-17 so Ill get back to you after that.   

• Options
    @Josh Church -  have a fantastic trip, and take lots of pictures for the haters. :-)

We can begin to crack the code on what that means. If you set your mind to something, almost nothing can stop you… But that schedule is definitely unique. I would personally like to rely on the team as we have many athletes to operate in a similar “unique“ fashion might be able to give us some advice. Let’s fire up a forum thread on it when you get back! 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Short Recap:
    - Made it back from Nepal, it was epic and challenging at times. Not physically though.  My runs have been fine just slowly building. Mileage: 16,16,18,18,20
    - Ive also been riding 2-3 times a week, now on Zwift so Im trying to catch EN peeps when I can. Mileage: 18,38,14,75.
    - Just been trying to run 5-6 times a week and maintain body comp. And im also throwing in push ups, situps/planks, and swim chordz after some of my runs. 

Hey coach, Im gearing up for Feb OS and was wondering which plan to go with. BRC falls right at the end of OS and Im looking for a local half to do as an end of OS Test. 
    does the close proximity of BRC require an alternative ending to OS in any way?  

Just as a reminder, I usually struggle with IT band issues. I have learned my regimen to keep them at bay but I usually end up defaulting to TRP or a little faster when, not if, things get tight. For this reason the OS Bike Focus seems more like my jam, I just wanted to get some advice from your view point.

• Options
    @Josh Church - love where you are at right now, and can't wait to hear your podcast!!! I think that you are best suited for the Bike Focus plan right now...that gives you options to go nucking futz on Zwift and just keep the run where it needs to be.

As you head into camp, I could see how you might want to put in some bike volume in Week 10 (second test week) but that's flexible. Honestly, between, the Sat and Sun rides that the Team is into you'll never get bored!!

Let me know when you pick that half!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hey @Coach Patrick
    OutSeason still going strong, FTP will definatly be up at the end. Im just starting week 9 so I've still got work to do. I've been enjoying the workouts loaded onto Zwift, i like not having to pay attention to interval times. This means I usually dont ride with the Team, I feel like an outcast lol, but Im getting the work done. 

Run wise I am building slowly, up to 9 miles for long run and I've been avg 19-20+ weekly. I am planning on an April 21 half for testing, its not super flat or but I think I can whip out a PR and bump my VDot from it. 

So for some extra bike volume leading up to BRC should it consist of longer rides or just more cumulative miles weekly?  I thought about doing a Century on Zwift or actually ride it outside just to get a long day in the saddle. 

Im just loving the process at the moment and keeping body comp in a good spot. I should start swimming again soon, I don't want to spend too much time away from the pool. 

• Options
    I think you are in a great place and don’t want to mess with it too much. To prepare for BRC I recommend a longer ride on the weekends. You could alternate a “normal week” for the volume weekend where are you right at 4 to 5 hours in Swift going from group ride to group ride. There are plenty of steady rides by kiss racing team and 0DZ as well.

I’m not worried about the swim.  By any means. Maybe you start off by using it as a recovery session on a day when your pool schedule works so you can pull or do technique. It’s always nice to have two or three weeks of easy swimming to get back into your groove! 

• Options
    Coach P,
      I know we talked at camp, I just wanted to lay out a fresh post here so we are on the same page. I felt very strong at camp, put out some good efforts at times but held in my "Ricky Racer" as to not over do it. 

Here is the timeline:
    • On 5/7/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 5/20/2018
    • On 5/21/2018 Load the Intermediate Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 7/1/2018
    • On 6/18/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Full to end on 9/30/2018
    Im going to try and get to the pool 3-4 times in week 1 and 5-6 week 2 (since Ill be off work). Then continue crushing the bike and hitting some climbs thanks to my newly acquired appetite from BRC. 

If Im correct here are the updates/goals leading up to IM training:
    • 2 45ish min races on Zwift 
    • Getting running miles up to 25
    • Weekly 3Hr z2-z3 or hard efforts on climbs if outside. 
    Stay away from those FooKies, we arent at camp any longer! haha

• Options
      That is exactly right! I was very impressed with your writing a camp and expect you to be in a group next year.

I like the three quality rides to give room for your run to grow to 25 miles a week sustainably. Every once in a while you could throw in a longer weekend ride if it was just a perfect day, maybe once every three weeks so you have a couple of those under your belt.

For now, just chill and be patient for that blue ridge fitness  to take full effect! 
  • Options
    Thanks, I surprised myself too. Nothing groundbreaking but It felt like strong work. I will definitely do a longer ride in a couple more weeks, I wanna slog up beech and hickory nut gap again! Ill keep u posted of any changes.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
     Keep me posted on the changes and your Strava segment domination! 
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    It Is Time
    First week starting the IMFull plan nothing special as of now but I do want to nail down my crazy schedule. Typical type A right?

Short Recap
    - Swim is feeling good usually between 4000-6000 the past few weeks. Work in progress
    - Bike nothing special yet, FTP sessions 2x15 feeling good were Im at. 
    - Run 21-28 miles last four weeks. The longer split runs will help boost that soon. Legs feel good.

Remember my odd work schedule I gotta work around. Work a week off a week, and I posted in the forums and have a rough schedule figured out.

Work Week 

Off Week

Monday

Swim/Run

3-4 hr Bike

Tuesday 

Run

Swim/Run

Wednesday 

FTP Bike/Swim 

FTP Bike/Run

Thursday 

Long Run 

Long Run

Friday 

Run/Swim

Swim/Run

Saturday 

1.5hr Bike?

Swim/Run

Sunday  

Run 

4-5 hr Bike/Run

Let me know if I'm missing anything, is there a better way to align key workouts? I do feel like this is a doable schedule and will only struggle with the Friday swim on my work week, maybe not though. 

What about that work week Saturday? I didn't really know what do there but I need at least 2 bikes during that week. 

• Options
    @Josh Church - My biggest question for you is how will you schedule a back to back ride weekend? When I look at the week I’m OK with how you’ve lined up the work week… And Saturday can be your ABP ride for example. But the off week you go three straight days about a bike and there are no back to back days with bikes in either week or as you overlap between weeks. Is there an opportunity to create that? Such as making the Sunday of work week a bike and the Monday of the off week a bike? Let me know.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2018 1:46AM via Email
    @Coach Patrick
    Yes I like that. I do about 90 min before work Sunday then 3-4 on Monday afternoon. With my limited time (week2week) and very unorthodox training this way I feel like big days, my own Camp week and race rehearsals will give me those bumps that will hopefully have me In Good shape for race day.

Any other thoughts on that?
    I’m hoping my PMC will still show a decent ramp to week 18.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    I agree that those bigger weekends have huge value for you, but I also like the idea of stacking the deck in your favor with a couple key sessions like this. I have to see you at camp, I know your body can handle it. If it gets hard, just remember 500 more meters. :-)  I agree that those bigger weekends have huge value for you, but I also like the idea of stacking the deck in your favor with a couple key sessions like this. Have to see you at camp, I know your body can handle it. If it gets hard, just remember 500 more meters. :-) @Kori Martini
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick  Geeked out with a little excel action. I could spend hours doing this lol. I should be good with this through august then it might chaotic with work schedule changing around some but Ill tackle that then. 

• Options
    That looks perfect. I’m glad you took the time to do that as it will be a really valuable resource for you moving forward. Hope you had a great holiday week.
  • Options
    Sweet, yea got in some fireworks, family and food. Mike Roberts and I are doing the hot doggett 100 in Mars Hill,NC next weekend. Should be an epic ride. Thinking I will keep my weekly long run on Thursday so I can do a swim Friday and hit the mountains Sat.

Running Update:
    Feeling very strong/durable this year so far. Did 13.1 for my last long run, Should be moving to split runs next week.

Sent from my iPhone
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Hot Doggett 100 was great felt very strong all day and paced it good didnt really push on climbs. Roberts backed out due to hamstring issues, I told him I would rather him be healthy for IMChoo, mainly so I can draft off him  :)

Ive got my Big Day this weekend, cant decide if I can fit in the swim leg before the bike and run Sat. We'll see, little time crunched. Im pumped for it either way. Will be my first long ride on TT bike outside. 

I got 29 miles of running in the past work week!! I count that as a win because legs still feel fine. Loving the split runs again this year, more volume less costly.

Reviewing my weekly hrs/TSS swing is interesting but I have come to grips with, "This is what life gives me right now." So analyze my last three weeks looks like this.
     Week 1                    Week 2                               Week 3
    8:31/TSS 776            1644/TSS 1148                     714/TSS 684

I did feel alittle crushed after week 2 but I cut my swim short monday and rested. Got back to it tuesday and continued as normal. Ill try to increase my work weeks to 10 hrs as tolerated and keep the volume on off weeks. Im pretty much following my weekly excel plan posted above but switch around  more on off weeks. 

New work schedule for August coming out soon, fingers crossed for triathlon friendly!

• Options
    Nicely done! Let me know if that work schedule looks like so we can hatch a plan! Sounds like Nutrition) is also going well, right?
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Nutrition is good, kinda boring for me now that I feel like I have it nailed down. Lots of GE, Sprinkel in Infinite on first half of long ride, PickyBar here and there, and blocks/ salt pills. Yea I know old school salt pills, Would base salt make me super human, I would switch then. 

Just got work schedule yesterday, no changes normal on/off week. So my plan is August 22-25 go to Chattanooga for a solo camp week. I will disclose this to other racers also if they want to join. 

My question is how do I manage this camp week specifically, Do the usual 3.5-4hr Monday ride but that means I will ride 5-6 hrs Thursday and Friday also. Traffic seems nicer on weekdays down there to me that’s why I plan to ride Thur fri. 
      I think you might suggest cut Monday ride to 1.5-2 hrs z-2/z3. Then I’ll swim/run on Tues & Wed. Then Thur- Saturday normal camp week Sunday recover. 
  • Options
     No need to do m base salts, regular salt pills are fine! Glad to hear the plan is locked and loaded. I think that you should keep that Monday ride as well as the weekend. That would turn out to be a mega bike week for you and would be pretty advantageous as far as I’m concerned. It would mean Sunday is off, and Monday likely as well. Into the following week. Given you don’t have a long run between the Monday and a Thursday I think you will be OK.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Thats sounds like a massive week, I’m game. Really liking the feel of my big off week and lighter work week. I like following CTL form and fatigue, so I usually get those pretty jacked up on my off week and by the end of my work week they usually level out so I’m ready for my volume week again on Monday.

Trying to stay on the power during the long rides, my new P1 pedals, vs stages, are much more consistent so I feel like I’m getting accurate steady readings. 165 cranks and 50/34 gearing has been a great change. Cadence has comfortably increased from 86-88 avg to 90 and creates a good run cadence transition!

I have noticed one key to my big volume week is I’m getting really good rest and sleeping well. I hired a local kid to mow my yard this summer too, best decision yet! 

I do have a major issue with my final RR though. It’s on my work week. I am already taking of race week so it will be a little difficult to get more days off in the same month.  I’m going to post in the forums to get more feed back but definitely want your input. I know the timing of this final RR is important for peaking for the race, I just wonder if you can fudge a day or two like Monday Tuesday instead of Sat Sunday.

loved the July Coach Chat, wanna put put some of that execution 2.0 in my race plan!
  • Options
    Josh -  

I love the build up in the progression. I think getting in this volume is going to be a significant step forward for you as compared to prior years. Very exciting.

I hear your concern about that final race herself. It’s not as much about the fitness as it is about putting the finishing touches on your phone reset up. That’s about as far out from race day that you can legitimately where all the gear and have all your stuff on your bike and still feel pretty good about it. Or not too bad about it, depending how you look at it. :-)

Moving it a day or two is totally fine, you just have to be ready to aggressively rest if needed. Does that kid for laundry too? 😂 
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2018 2:41PM

@Coach Patrick

I have finalized my race plan as of now unless I have other input about anything possibly overlooked.

I don't think I have taken any crazy risks but I have set my goals for this race higher than the past couple years. I have no aspirations for a certain finishing place per say, Im just racing myself and Mike Roberts lol. The only thing I would like to see is a time of 10:10 or less.?.?.

If the race atmosphere shifts and its crazy hot or something, I have adapted to conditions before (back in 2016) I know not to push through like an idiot.

Here is my bike pwr plan. HR Plan is keep it <130 for 15min, 130-140 for the bulk, <144 coming into T2

Best Bike Split EN Calculator

Avg Pwr: 189.8 184

N. Pwr: 192 189

IF: .69 .67

TSS: 255 251

Time: 5:21:42 5:27:00

I would like to fall somewhere in the middle of these.

What do you think?

• Options

i think that’s pretty good. my only though is that .69 seems low. i am sure BBS has distributed the watts differently, but how have you ridden in training? given your BRC demonstrated fitness, i think you could go .71 or .72 and stuff run well

your numbers look like good “it’s hot let’s damage control” numbers; if you want a 30’ PB where’s it coming from?

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I have done a .72(200w), RR1 .70(195w), and final race rehearsal was 180 Watts @.65 I allowed this ride to be too easy, I think I was nodding off in the aero bars.

I would be up for seeing what my HR and RPE felt like at .71 but also have guidelines Incase I needed to back it down for heat or other issues.

I’ll have these numbers taped to aero bottle.

As for PR time, BBS gives me 20min PR on bike and running 3:50 will give me another 10 min PR.

I do not chase times but this just represents a perfectly executed perfect weather day. Those are few and far in between I’m sure.