Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Beth Hornak Micro Thread [Return to TeamEN]

Hey Coach P,

Beginner HIM plan going well. Pateller Tendonitis cleared, MCL hanging on to keep me humble (not crazy painful - able to run, just not far on the road).

Here is the way I am following training plan - swims as written, any runs that involve a swim, I do them in the pool, the long Thursday run is in the pool (I bought special pool running shoes for feet on the ground), and Saturday / Sunday run / ride or ride / bike as written, with the run in walk / run cycles, usually 5' walk / 5' run or 5' walk / 10' run.

I have a PT plan and see a chiropractor. I also have an acupuncturist and am seeking a very talented sports LMT. 

I have not signed up for the 70.3 on 7/10 - a little nervous to do that as my longest walk / run has been 40'.  Three questions, is a 70.3 necessary in the training cycle, if I keep doing the long Thursday runs in the pool and fuel as I would on the road, will that be detrimental in any way to the IM run, and two how about a sprint? The chiro says this IM is in the bag, I just need to be patient with my knee. 

Thanks!

Beth

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Beth, I challenge you to name a pro athlete who is more dialed in than you right now. NICE! I love the setup and the organization. I don't think you need to do a half, it's more just part of the checklist.

I think we can continue to keep you healthy (#1 priority) and focus the extra work on the bike.

By work I mean you'll be able to do more when biking because you aren't buried in run fatigue. Not that I mean more biking.

A sprint would be fine for the logistics of racing.

Is there a modality you can do between pool and running. Pool running is great, but it would be nice to have some form of weight bearing work pre-IM. Let me know what your TEAM says!
  • Options
    Coach,

Your words mean more than I can write - thank you.

Follow up Q on racing - my knee has made a lot of gains this past week. Today I did the 2 hour ride, followed by the 60' run and I did it as

15' walk / 15' run / 10' walk / 15' run / rest as walk, for a total of 4.37 miles with 13.44 m/m (which is a win from last week, where pace was 13.59 m/m.

The 70.3 I was thinking of offers the possibility of a sprint on Saturday and Aquabike on Sunday. http://www.musselmantri.com/. After today, I am feeling like I could do the 13.1 by July (it was be a walk / run), but wanted your thoughts before I register.

Thanks!

Beth

I incorporated weight training into the plan - it will most likely be after a swim for logistical purposes.
  • Options
    Beth...fantastic!!! Let's keep in mind this is a progression to health and not some over night cure (preaching some caution). I love it and would love to see you do the half; just plan to walk the hillier parts (downs?) on the runs as needed, even if that doesn't fit into your rotation.

Remember you can always go Tri to Aqua Bike last minute if needed too...for now let's keep up the steady work!

Strength post swim is fine; I prefer body weight stuff and excellent form...what do you have in mind?

~ Coach P
  • Options

Hi Coach,

I had my chiro appt today and here is the current update - things are slowly coming back on-line. Matt, my chiro, likens it a slow sunrise. We are working on getting the muscles to fire correctly so that the knee and foot stop taking the burden. He is in agreement with you that this a progression of health and at this point in my healing, doesn't feel that the 70.3 7/10 is the best approach. 

Coach Rich suggested the Beginning HIM until 7/10, have a recovery week and then load Beginning IM. Because I won't be doing the 70.3, I flipped the plan to Beg IM, and looked ahead to the weekend where Musselman fall. It is a Big Day Protocol. My idea is to register for the Aqua bike, and then do the 60' run off the bike. I execute Big Day Protocol and bonus!  I get a t-shirt, bling and all the cool stuff of race day. 

Today, after the bike, I was able to run 20minutes with little or no pain, I made myself walk 5' off the bike, run 20', and walk 5'. YAY!

As for weights, I do two leg machines (per PT) - Leg Press and Leg Extension, and then I head into the "Big Kid" weight room where the free weights are. I also have a TRX routine. I draw supportive exercises from Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry and Holistic Weight Training for Triathlon by Andrew Johnson. 

...and the PS is that these next few weeks are going to be challenging - my daughters (15, 13) are taking final exams, and then we prep my eldest to go to Costa Rica, and youngest for sleep away horse camp.I will do my best to get the work done, but some of the rides may be on the trainer depending on who is coming and going. 

Cheers,

Beth

• Options
    Beth, I love the plan, I love the Aquabike, I love the pain free running...and I respect the craziness of your awesome life. I think you are in a great place. THANK YOU for the update and I will continue to send you positive mojo!
  • Options
    So, I did the Sunday long ride and it sucked, sucked and sucked - slow, clunky and the feeling like what did I get myself into??? I am working hard on nutrition (rx bars - certain number of chunks every 15-20', with sips of scratch lemon lime).

My goal for the IM ride is 15 mph, and I was 14.1, and that is scary close to DNF the ride -

• Options
    You are ALWAYS slower in training. Always. You'll be rested, there will be other folks out there, you'll be more aero, etc. It's more the process (food, pacing, HR) that matters than the time. Do you have a file I can look at? Say Strava or Garmin Connect?

~ Coach P
  • Options

@Tim,

Much appreciated - here is the Garmin Connect link - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1310282383

I hope you can access it. My current fueling plan is to eat 3 chunks of an Rx Bar with 3-4 sips of Scratch every 15-20'. 

With gratitude,

Beth

• Options
    @Beth- I didn't post to your micro? Must be Coach P impersonating me but he signed off with Coach P... Some kind of error?
  • Options
    Oh and the Garmin link was private.
  • Options

@tim - it was your profile appeared with Coach P's response - must have been the Vulcan mind meld! image 

• Options
    Tim sorry...i was totally impersonating you to see how the site looks to an athlete...you have the best username...and I forgot to log out / back in first!!!!  image  Sorry!!

Beth, I can't see the file..you need to set it to be unlocked in the top right of your Garmin Connect workout view (image below). Also can you clarify "3 bites" of an Rx Bar? Like how many bars do you eat an hour and how many bottles of Skratch?   Any reason why no gels?

• Options
    Tim sorry...i was totally impersonating you to see how the site looks to an athlete...you have the best username...and I forgot to log out / back in first!!!!  image  Sorry!!

Beth, I can't see the file..you need to set it to be unlocked in the top right of your Garmin Connect workout view (image below). Also can you clarify "3 bites" of an Rx Bar? Like how many bars do you eat an hour and how many bottles of Skratch?   Any reason why no gels?

• Options

Coach,

Ok, should be unlocked. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1310282383

Per hour I eat 1 Rx Bar (52 grams total weight, 210 calories, 200 mg sodium, 360 mg potassium, 24g carbs, 12g protein), with 1 bottle of water (19oz {odd I know}, with 2 scoops Scratch {lemon / lime}, 160 total calories, 720mg sodium, 40g carbs, 80 mg potassium).

Sweat test - I need 320 calories with 84g of carbs. 

No gels - I honestly thought that if I aced all the components needed from the bars and the Scratch I would be okay.  I've been trying to incorporate Clif shot blocks into the feed cycle. If I add in 3 shot blocks to the hourly cycle, it will give me an extra 50 calories, 24g carbs, which would {if I understand correctly} in a very comfortable place to come off the bike fully fueled. 

Side note - Until recently, I ate clif PB bars for a while, and then we had to break up because I could not stomach them any longer. They were great for calories and carbs, but to train with them for the next 6 weeks would have been difficult. 

Looking forward to your feedback. 

• Options

Coach,

Ok, should be unlocked. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1310282383

Per hour I eat 1 Rx Bar (52 grams total weight, 210 calories, 200 mg sodium, 360 mg potassium, 24g carbs, 12g protein), with 1 bottle of water (19oz {odd I know}, with 2 scoops Scratch {lemon / lime}, 160 total calories, 720mg sodium, 40g carbs, 80 mg potassium).

Sweat test - I need 320 calories with 84g of carbs. 

No gels - I honestly thought that if I aced all the components needed from the bars and the Scratch I would be okay.  I've been trying to incorporate Clif shot blocks into the feed cycle. If I add in 3 shot blocks to the hourly cycle, it will give me an extra 50 calories, 24g carbs, which would {if I understand correctly} in a very comfortable place to come off the bike fully fueled. 

Side note - Until recently, I ate clif PB bars for a while, and then we had to break up because I could not stomach them any longer. They were great for calories and carbs, but to train with them for the next 6 weeks would have been difficult. 

Looking forward to your feedback. 

• Options
    Coach,

Not sure if you will see this in time, but I did Saturday's workout today due to tri relay with my daughter on Sunday . I did the run and only had time for 4:25 out of 5:00. Doing Sunday's workout tomorrow - do I need to log extra 35 min to the 90' ride? Thanks!
  • Options
    thanks for checking back in with me. Between the bad links and the confusing posting I was a little thrown off! but we are back on track now. :-)

I'm curious to hear how your nutrition went on this ride. you certainly have enough calories, but when I look at that already explore it has a lot of fiber and fat. in comparison, a power bar has 3.5 g of Fat (vs 6 in Rx bar) and 1g of Fiber (vs 4 in Rx Bar).

Both fiber and that will reduce your body's ability to process that as fuel. if this problem continues, you might want to try and simply use a regular power bar instead.

Unfortunately, when I look at your file there's no heart rate or power so it's hard for me to tell which effort was. image Can you promise to wear your heart rate monitor next time?
  • Options

Coach,

I would not have made the connection between fiber and fat! So funny as I just bought a case of Rx bars thinking they were going to be my go to food. Improvise, adapt and overcome. Happy to grab some powerbars for next weekend's camp. image

I have the HR monitor to go with the 910 - but have never been able to get it to work. Is there another product I can buy? Perhaps the 920?

Not sure if this will help with data mining, but providing links to Tuesday's long ride (which was supposed to be Saturday's ride) - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1318243291 - and Wednesday's ride (Sunday's workout) - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1319206989. And good news, I was faster! image

Beth

• Options
    Beth, I think it will make you happier...I swear! The workouts looking good...let's keep it rolling.

Ps those bars are good "food on the run" stuff...
  • Options
    Coach P,
    Day 1 of camp - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1334325840/1

The HR monitor was a bit late to the game - needed my diva daughter to make it sync.

Beth
  • Options
    Day 2 of camp, with full HR. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1336326790

Different bike route (x2 - I am a looper) and just ran around my neighborhood for the run.

If the magic is that pace gets faster on Day 2, then I guess it happened for me.
  • Options
    Hey Coach,

Here is the data from today's run - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1338817745

As soon as I write a debrief I will include here as well - but at least you have raw data to look at.

Thanks so much!
    Beth
  • Options
    Beth, thanks for this!!!

1) What was the nutrition like?

2) I think your bikes both looked really great. Your Bike and Run Avg HR target is about 135...so you need to get the bike HR down between 120-125 at the start on race day, so that it can build.

3) We want to keep that run HR a bit steadier. It rolls up and down quite a bit on the hills and down hills...so shorter steps, smoother up to avoid spiking. I humbly suggest an HR cap of 140 on a "normal" weather day...if it's wicked hot and your AHR has been say 5 beats higher all day, then you can dial the run AHR target up to 140 and plan on a cap of 145. But only on a hot day.

Nice weekend!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach,

Welcome and thanks for the quick feedback. 

1) Nutrition for bike - 3 black cherry cliff shot blocks with 1 honey stinger waffle, with 1 scoop lemon / lime scratch in 22oz of water for 330 calories and 470mg sodium (sorry, I cannot stomach GE and power bars are GMO creepy for me - it's a thing for me). Sweat test indicated 350 calories needed. Should I add one extra piece of shot block?

2) Given these are my first training sessions with HR, what is the best way to get that down? Higher cadence, smaller gear? I had a feeling you would make that an action item. 

3) HR on run - still working within the pre-bike or post-bike run protocol, which may account the way I am executing the run. I still pool run on Tuesdays, and haven't talked to care team about splitting Thurs run into half on road / half on elliptical or pool. Definately going to go for the 3 hour run when that comes up. Just wanting to save everything I have for 10/9. Will loop back and let you know. 

4) Nutrition for run - followed Coach Rich's water, water, gel with a Tropical Blast EGel every third mile. Had some kicking music on the phone, which really helped. 

I have to be super honest that even though I am physically tired, my muscles feel really really good - as in no aches and pains! After camp weekend, I am really feeling like I can do this IM. Happy dance! 

• Options
    Great stuff...let's keep this rolling!!

1) the calorie number seems good...but do you lose any weight after these sessions? If so, you might need a bit more fluid (esp if weather is warmer than 70 degrees)...would rather "extra" calories come from there as your "food" is good. As in you might need 1.25 bottles per hour, etc. Let me know.

2) I need to write something more detailed on this...but during this window speed / watts aren't a priority. Ride easy, sitting up, and breathing deeply. Shake hands / arms out. Maybe stand up and stretch a bit on a downhill or faster section. Basically noodling along....so if I ride 22mph on race day, this speed is 18mph for me...which, for 15 minutes only costs me 1 mile (22/4 vs 18/4)....which I will easily make up later in the day.

3) Run HR just takes focus...if road's about to go up, just take the edge off the effort a bit, etc, to flatten it out. At least until you learn what it takes to create that great looking file! image

4) Coach rich fueling plan is ok as long as you have external salt pills in case stomach gets sloshy, etc, as you need to keep drinking no matter what.

Yay Yay!! You've done a lot and learned more...I really like where you are at in your IM journey!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hey Coach!
    Before I provide details from the weekend's workouts for feedback, my last RR weekend fell apart. I have a family event on Saturday that requires travel, and one that I would blow FAU's if I declined and said I have to train. There is no possibility for any type of training day.

Sunday's long ride would be difficult as I am a volunteer for a memorial run for a friend who was killed while training for AG Nationals four years ago.

I do have flexibility to move things around during the week and need help on figuring out where to drop the RR and then the 56 mile ride in the context of the other workouts that need to be done. I am happy to drop a swim to get the other work done.

Thank you!
    Beth
  • Options
    Beth, I would do normal Monday and Tuesday...then like this:

Wed - Swim from Friday
    Thu - RR Ride
    Fri - The 56-er
    Sat - Family
    Sun - Memorial Run

How does that sound? You can swap Thu / Fri if required (but dial down the 56-er effort).

Now tell me about the workouts!!! image

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach P,

Excellent! I appreciate you taking the time to move around the workouts!

Here is the news from the weekend!!

Saturday (40' run / 5 hour ride) - crazy, crazy, crazy hot and windy! Pre-workout weight 133.5 / post-workout 134.5

• Pre-Run Fueling - water, banana, power bar Simply Fruit (Apple, Pear / Raspberry 100 cal, 50g sodium, 125g potassium, 25g carbs, 17g sugar)
    • Run - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1350812595
    • Pre-Ride Fueling - 24oz water w/2 scoops of Scratch, 2/3c oatmeal, 1/2 banana, unsweetened almond milk
    • Bike Fueling - as practiced every hour 1 Honey stinger Waffle with 3 pieces of Black Cherry Clif Shot Block, 20oz of water with 1 scoop of Scratch (mid-way through, I looped back home to add an additional scoop of Scratch (per our last discussion, I think this is best way to go on race day) because of the heat. I also took 1 Endurolyte starting an hour 2.5-ish (after I looped home).
    • Bike - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1352180741 - it sucked, and I just wrote it off to being in a lab for 5 hours

Sunday (120' ride / 60' run) - much cooler and more comfortable! Pre-workout weight 135.5 / post-workout 135.5

• Breakfast - 2/3c oatmeal, 1 banana, 1 scoop SunWarrior Chocolate Protein powder, unsweetened almond milk
    • Bike Fueling - as practiced every hour 1 Honey stinger Waffle with 3 pieces of Black Cherry Clif Shot Block, 20oz of water with 2 scoops of Scratch 
    • Run Fueling - 2oz of water at each mile, with a gel at mile 3 (ran 6 miles!!)
    • Numbers were better - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1354922697

Worried about HR!

Questions for the day

• Pre-workout eating? What should that look like? I  know I've seen threads on breakfast before an IM and I want to get that dialed in. 
    • Excedrin, Advil, Motrin, Aleve? Same as above, I know I saw a thread on your preferred anti-inflammatory during IM.
    • What brand of salt do you suggest?

Thank you!

Beth

• Options
    Beth ,great update...thank you! You are in a great place WRT the nutrition process. The attention to detail is going to pay massive dividends on race day, I promise!

Anti Inflammatory is Tylenol, processed in stomach vs in liver. But not too much...200 mgs x 2 on bike and 1 or 2 on the run is okay. But hydration is critical...if you are behind with fluids it's not an option. Incentive to drink up!! image

Your pre-workout eating seems fine. My only edit to add is a bottle of Skratch....can't hurt to get some fluid in, wash down your food, and prep for the day.

For salt, I use Salt Stick Pills...they have a real solid amount of sodium in each one. I carry them for every bike just in case, and not only have them on race day (pill cannister, one each for bike and run) but in Special needs too in case I drop them, etc. image

~ Coach P