Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Beth Hornak Micro Thread [Return to TeamEN]

Comments

• Options
    @Coach Patrick
    First "race" of the season. Last minute ask to be the bike leg of a "tri" team - run / bike / paddle.
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1704298114
    Thanking @Shaughn Simmons  and @John Culberson for their awesome mentoring on bike tech. 
    17.0 mph - one stretch of hills, and beat my arch nemesis on bike by 3'. Woo hoo! So excited about season of fast! 

I can't wait to start speed work on the run. 

Beth

ps- how should I be prepping on the bike for LP Camp?  :#
  • Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak - THREE MINUTES?!  That's fantastic!!! Nicely done! :smile:

As for LP camp you have some flexibility. Remember that course can let you do 42, 56, 72, etc, etc. You don't HAVE TO do 112. 

I'd like you to continue riding Back to Back weekend days, with one day being close to 3 hours, the other about 1.5 to 2. Can you dig that?

And let me know what you are thinking for camp weekend!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Thank you! Owe the win to the OS training! :) 

My main goal for going to camp is to evaluate the course (is it really that scary?) and determine if IMLP is in the cards for me at some point. My second goal is to be able to ride one loop successfully. My life is super crazy - some of which you know - Emma (16) going to college at the end of the month to take pre-calculus, other new stuff - my mom with on-set alzheimer's, and the possibility that my youngest daughter may have Lupus. I can't say for sure that I can get out there both days for that amount of time, but will do my best. 

To be in LP with like minded peeps and to be able to say thank you to you in person will truly be a gift. 

All that said, I am not sure how this season will set up, and if I will make 2 sprints. I am trying to keep it real day by day. 

Beth

• Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak - I appreciate your perspective...you will be fine out there on the course (do you ride with a garmin for turn by turn?) it's user-friendly and only daunting the first time. Using all your gears will make you a happy, happy camper!

Remember if outside is tough we can set you up on a trainer with Zwift or something to keep you rolling for one of the days. Anything to get the ride time in. 

The cross at Placid is just fantastic. You'll have a great time, I promise!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick Yes, I have a Garmin and will make sure to print turn by turn directions and tape them to the areo bars. 

Let me know how to get set up on Zwift. 

Looking forward to LP! Woo hoo!
  • Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak - what is the Garmin model that you use?

The info on Zwift is in the bike wiki here.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2017 4:15PM
    @Coach Patrick  - 920 XT - I don't see my CycleOps model on the list. 
  • Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak 

1. On Zwift, maybe that won't work for you...or ask in the forums. I can't really troubleshoot it. 

2. As for your 920XT, just got to get it loaded on there via Garmin Connect. 

Here's how....

• Download the .gpx file here https://app.box.com/shared/static/ler69b5c7jhl3xmjmxg7s86474hv1ylb.gpx
    • Open your Garmin Connect account online: connect.garmin.com - log in. 
    • Go to Activities. Then click blue plus sign in upper right and choose "Import Data"
    • Find the file you saved above and select it. Then click "import" button.
    • Import works...click View Details.
    • On that page, click the gear wheel icon in the upper right and choose "Save As Course"
    • Save it as Lake Placid.
    • Then click that Gear Icon again and choose "Send to Device"
    • Choose your 920XT, and that will launch your Garmin Express App..you'll need to put watch in cradle and upload it...but then it's on your device!

Following the Map

1. Disconnect the device (from above), and turn it on. 
    2. Select  > Navigation > Courses
    3. Select a course. 
    4. Select Do Course
    5. Select  to start the timer. 

The map displays the course and status information at the top of the screen. 

6. If necessary, select  to view additional data screens.

• Options
    Hi Coach,

Here is the race report from my sprint on Saturday - two words, exceeded expectations. Despite all the stuff I've been going through, and being run light because of my knee, I dropped 2:59 from my '13 time! Happy EN dance. 

The race - 750m, 16.1 and 5K. Swim was wet. Water temp was 74.7, so I did not wear a wetsuit. In the water start, with my AG and the 14-17F. Took about 100m to get my groove. Very weedy - upon swim exit it was like the creature from the green lagoon (time 13.54). T1 (still slow) 2:30 (long hop to bike, did put socks on). Bike was fairly flat with a few easy rollers. Time 58.06 (I fueled with E-Fuel by Crank Sports).  Another long hop from dismount line to timing mat to finish bike and I think my bike computer shows 1' faster. T2 time 1:59 Run was flat and fast. No fuel taken. Ran 27.07 and felt really good. Landed 22/45. 

'13 times were 14:14, 03:02, 0:59:10, 2:16 and 28:03.

Here is the thing, I am a strong swimmer, and as knee heals, I will become a stronger runner. When I look at the results on my AG, I keep getting creamed on the bike. :( Until my youngest daughter graduates HS, I am sticking with the sprint distance, and I want to do this race again next year, and be faster, and don't know how to do that.

Emma and I doing our annual mother / daughter relay sprint on 8/27. I am swim / bike. Which plan should I load next? I also need to run about 3x a week to begin to prep for a half marathon 10/1. I am trying not to set the bar high (even though I want to under 2 because it is point to point and flat, and I've squeaked under 2 with 3x a week, with a pre-EN plan of running fast once a week, one long run, and one medium distance run).

Let me know your thoughts. 

Beth
  • Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak - really excited to see you faster in ALL THREE disciplines. Nice!  :o

We need to continue to let your knee heal up, so I think we don't want to be too aggressive with the run right now. I suggest you re-load the short course plan to end on 8/27 so we can follow that same lead up. The only modification will be to slowly extend the Sunday long run as you can tolerate. 

Can you give me an update as to how the knee is doing? 

~ Coach P
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2017 1:40AM
    @Coach Patrick

Thank you! :) I had loaded the bike focus, and will reload the Beginner SC. This week ended up being a total wash out. I helped my mom move to from her house in Syracuse, NY to her new apartment in Albany, NY, and got back in late last night. 

I am currently allowed 3 x 40' minute runs, with a slow increase over the next two to three weeks to 60'. I meet with my PT next week to discuss strategy. 
  • Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak -  thank you for the update! I think your run is in a great place right now so I'm very excited. Your plan is perfect as we continue to build up that's the only way to go. Good to hear your mom is in a good place. I'll look forward to your next update.
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick
    Here is the current news - I've modified the SC plan (based on my life) to set up as bike MWSa, run TRSa (brick) with swim on Sunday. 

My knee is currently handling 3x 40' runs. I am doing yoga, PT as well as gentle strength training, 2-3x a week. 

Next week, I will be allowed to add 5-10' to the run pain dependent. If I don't try to crush the pace, I think I will be okay. 

I am so tempted to sign up for LP next year - the 20 year anniversary will be a par-tay, many team members will be there, revenge race (the other woman is thinking about doing it, and I beat her IMMD '15 time by 30+ min and her race was shorter, and I was injured), etc., etc. :) I need talking off the ledge. Emma is graduating in June, things with husband are tenuous, mom is currently stable, and Sara won't be driving (she says wait until the 25th anniversary) and I am not sure what she will have on her schedule. Random stream of conscientiousness for sure. 

Enjoy the weekend!
    Beth

• Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak -  thank you so much for the update! I'm excited to hear how adding that additional time to your run goes. So please keep me posted.

Do in the race next year only makes sense if everything is aligned. You and I both know right now that things are not ideal for next year… The odds of all of those planets coming together and the perfect alignment for your rocketship to safely reach the first line is highly unlikely.

I think  your best bet is to put yourself in a position to be fit and enjoy the day is the best possible teammate/Lapar/fan that you can. Choosing to not do an Iron Man is just as important as choosing to do one.

You know the level of commitment required and the only thing worse than not doing one on race day is being signed up for one and not being ready. 

There will always be another race, your teammates will always be there, but the next few years of your life require 100% attention. You can be successful at our sport but we have to build you up from the sustainable place. I hope that makes sense!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

Congratulations on an awesome IMMT! So great to see you back in the game and on to Kona! Woot! Happy EN dance!

So, Emma and I are doing our mother / daughter sprint relay on Sunday. Can't wait - good chance we will land on top for the women's relay division - full report later. 

That said, I have my 13.1 on deck on 10/1. I am running 3x a week (with exception of this week because of race). My speed work times are well below my Z5 (YAY!), and my other runs are 9:40-10:20 -ish. I need to know which plan to flip to (I did load half / beginner plan) for the rest of the training cycle. Truth is, the course is point to point and flat - I really, really, really, really want to come in under 2:00, and if that is not possible, then under 2:16, which is what my husband ran for his last half. 

Next item - breathe deeply - hub and his girlfriend may be getting back together (yes, I am seeking outside counsel). And I know in our last thread you said NO to IMLP next year, but if she is there (and he will most likely sign up if she did), I.want.to.race, and crush both. I am willing to lay low for the next few months, rehab hard, and do whatever it takes to get me across the finish line ahead of them. I know I can do it - my IMLOU time was 30' faster than her IMMD time and her course was short because of weather. I am faster in swim than hub, willing to learn how to pee off the bike to save time, and he may have had me by 40' on the run, but I played it safe, and know I can run faster. I will loop back after weekend to let you know for sure, and will need to know how this would set up for a training plan. 

Recover well, and I will let you know outcome of Sunday's race and other status updates. 

Beth
  • Options
    Beth -  we are cheering you on all the way from Rhode Island! Go fast and have fun! Can't wait to hear about the results.

Once you're through this race it's time to load up the balanced half marathon plan, beginner level to the 13.1. Let's see how that works for you in terms of scheduling. If we need to we can dial back the runs as we go. 

As for next year, we can talk. The matter what happens, know that I won hundred percent have your back and will support you in whatever machine you choose. We can do anything!
  • Options

yup, we won the women's relay division!

Ok, IMLP is seriously on the table, and this would *have* to be a double take down. I am waiting for my sister to confirm that she can be adult on duty for me. My knees are 300° better than last year, and by next year, I am confident with the right training mix, I will be stronger than I was at IMLOU. I am going to loop back with my PT (who has done Placid a number of times, in under 11:00 I believe) once I sign up, and then GAME ON.

Thanks for the McCrann Family mojo. 
  • Options
     B) GAME ON INDEED!!!!
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick Sold out before I could register. Game on for a faster '18  B)
  • Options
    @Coach Patrick

I am signed up for a 1/2 marathon on 10/1. I've been run distance light due to tri training. My longest run is 5 miles (I ran that twice this week and am hoping for 5-5.5 tomorrow). I just watched the half pacing video, and my question for you is how realistic is it for me to want to run under 2:00 at this race? It is a flat and fast course. 

Let me know your thoughts. 

• Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak  that is a tough call. Remember it's not so much watch the long run of the week is, more so what your weekly volume is. If your weekly volume is been between 15 and 20 miles you certainly have a shot. If you have been less than that and then the goal might be out of reach.

At the very least, I recommend getting a few decent runs before race day.

On the 14th and the 21st you can do a 7 mile run with a good portion of that at half Marathon effort.  So warm up for a mile or two and then push the pace you want to see Andre stay.

On the 17th and the 24th I want you to run nine or 10 miles. I would like you to piece this like we discussed on race day:

*first 3 miles easy.

*  next 5 miles study… I Deleigh close to your goal race pace.

*Last mile pick up the effort as you can sustain. This will help stimulate the strong finish.

You can work around these for runs to do whatever you want on the other days as long as it doesn't interfere. You definitely want Mondays off to recover from the weekend long run. 

keep me posted!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2017 11:35PM
    Hey Coach,

I know you are in Kona, so I hope this gets through to you. I ran my 1/2 in 2:00:33 - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2027362872

It was close, and I will take it given my current life circumstances. I am really proud, that on minimal training, I was able to execute like an Ninja and run that fast. 

That all said, I am dropping into Maintenance Mode. I have so much on my plate right now, and feel like this OS it's probably best that I focus on TRX training, yoga (Bikram has been a game changer for me, and I think that is one of the reason's I ran so well last week), some swimming, biking and running, and not have the pressure of following a formal OS plan. 

And given the thread my marriage is on, which really feels like walking barefoot on a tightrope over Niagara Falls, I need to be a Ninja with my finances. 

I know you are in Kona, and I wanted to wait for a response before hitting the pause button, but my billing is the 13th. 

If you wish, drop me an email -> elizabeth_hornak@yahoo.com 
    Beth
  • Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak - epic race!!! I say a 2:00:29 is a two hour half. DONE and DUSTED. 

I'll follow up with you via email!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2020 10:54PM

@Elizabeth Hornak Welcome back to Le Team! I am moving this thread to the New Member Column so @matt limbert and I can support you through LP!

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

I'd like to get you back on track with the OutSeason® , doing the first few weeks to get into a routine until the weather turns and we can guarantee more time outside. After this re-entry period, you'll be Ready for the Prep plan to build the volume required to enter the Race Prep plan. I will want you to link up your

Your Races

• 7/19/2020 Ironman Musselman 70.3, Geneva, NY- I am relaying with my daughter as SB, she will do the run. 
    • IM Lake Placid 7/26/2020

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 03/03/2020
    • On 3/3/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 6/8/2020 [Level 1 workouts]
    • **Transition Early**
    • On 4/6/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 5/3/2020
    • On 5/4/2020  Load the    EN Full Bike Focused, 12wks to end on 7/26/2020
    • On 7/27/2020 Load the    Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/23/2020

Your Notes

Current fitness is good. I am still clearing out a sticky hamstring with a lower back component. 

No racing history since '18. I am low key following the EN plan I remember from '16, taking Monday as an off day. 

I short-ish swim (currently 2600)/ pool run Tuesday, bike 60 minutes / 25 run off bike, Thursday run 4-5 miles (this is a change from what I did in '16 as I could not really run long at all), Friday long swim, (currently 2900-3100 depending on my available time), Saturday 3-4 miles before long bike (longest is 2 hours), Sunday shorter ride, followed by longer run (about 5 miles). 

I have an aggressive PT recovery that includes one day of strength training. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Elizabeth Hornak Glad to have you back. You are a veteran Team EN member, but I am happy to help you or get you a quick answer to your training or racing. Here is list of some things to consider as you get started with us again to take on IM LP

#1 Subscribe to your Coach Thread.

Subscribe to your Coach Thread and get an email when we respond. Your Coach Thread is the best way to get a hold of us. It documents all of your training questions, its always here for your reference. 

Here is how: 

#2 Get setup in Final Surge. 

Sync your Garmin or Strava account with Final Surge. All your workouts will upload automatically.

Connect only one! Chose either Strava OR Garmin. Strava works better if you ride on Zwift!

#3 Down load the Final Surge App

Final Surge | Mobile Apps

https://www.finalsurge.com/apps

#4 Join our GroupMe chat

Our forums and GroupME chat its a great place to learn, ask questions and connect for accountability with other Team members. Need to buy a new training gadget? What is the best xxxx? Want some advice about your race we? We have someone on the Team that as done it before and can help you race like a veteran. Ask in the group chat, start a forum post, or just search the library.

Your new Friends are waiting for you.

GroupMe is an app you can download to your smartphone, visit on the web, and even search if you want. GroupMe is a running group chat that team members use to get a quick answer to a question, accountability, and celebrate a new PR!

GroupMe

·        EN Live 24/7  [Join Here]

·        Run Group [Join Here]

·        Zwift Chat [Join Here]

·        Events  [Join Here]

·        Race Groups [Join Here]

#5 Explore ways to get smarter. Train and race like a veteran! Learn more and dial in your own training and race execution. Get training tips and execution advice from other TeamEN veterans

All of the Training Plans are explained here. Your plan is about halfway down the page. 6' video and a few short paragraphs.

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#half

Check out the Opportunities To Learn:

http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/RacingMemberCentral/RaceExecutionDetails/MasterRaceExecutionPage(HalfFull).aspx

Use the Table of Contents links at the top of the page to jump to that parts that interest you.

The EN 4 keys to Race Execution Video is a good place to start. Patrick talks about

#1 Racing is Execution NOT fitness

#2 The Line - is where you start racing. For the IM, that is mile 18 of the marathon. All your decisions set up your ability to race when you get to that line. There is no such thing as a good bike split followed by a poor run. The bike sets up the run.

# 3 The Box - All day long you are going to race inside a box defined by what you can control. Ask yourself "What do I need to do right NOW to create the conditions for success at The Line? 

# 4 One Thing - Before the race, you need to be able to answer the question: "Why am I doing this race?" During the course of your race day, expect your body to have a very convincing conversation with your mind: "This is really starting to get old and very painful. You need to give me a good reason to keep going forward. If you can't give me a good one, I'm gonna slow down."

While these may seem simple, the process of pacing, adapting to conditions, and managing fueling/hydration is more detailed in the text and in the video.

Detailed Race Preparation and Planning resources (Impact of Heat on Pace calculator, Pacing with Power on the Bike, etc.) http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Race+Execution

Check out Coach Patrick's videos under Learning -> Coach Lessons - "How to race in the heat," "Checklists and Race Logistics Matter"

Forums. If social media and chat groups are not your thing. Take a look at our forums. These are not your typical forums or chat rooms. These are where our smartest members hang out and answer questions or give advice. https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/categories

Think of this as your biggest group of endurance and athlete friends. These folks are super helpful. We have a set of Wicked Smart Members (WSM). These athletes are vetted by the rest of the team and Coach Patrick. They are recognized for their expertise and willingness to help.

As part of your TeamEN membership you now have complete access to the entire Learning section. Check out the Coach Lesson Videos, Race Execution Guidance there and look through the forums. There are tons of race reports to help you learn more about training and racing.

#6 Smart Trainer Integration

We have workouts already built for Zwift and Trainer Road for the OutSeason, HIM and IM plans. If you have a smart trainer and a Zwift or Trainer Road account, download the workouts for Zwift to your computer or login to Trainer Road library and get after it inside.

SignIn

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan/TrainingPlanCentralPage.aspx#outseason

For Zwift: Unzip the workouts into Documents -> Zwift -> Workouts -> "rider number" folder on the device you use to stream Zwift. My "rider number" is 126713. It will be the only numbered folder under workouts.

For Trainer Road: Use this like to request access to the EN workout library. Request access by sending a message "Request Invite to Trainer Road" to ppisaj2s@inbound.intercom-mail.com 

My goal is to make your first month of Endurance Nation as simple and as awesome as possible! I want to help you get the most out of your workouts, Final Surge, learn more about race execution and how the team can help you get to your race goals.

Talk with you soon,

Matt, Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

@matt limbert Heads up I added Beth's notes on recovery and current plan info to the Roadmap Post above. She will need some help transitioning from the old plan concept she knows to our new ones! 👍

• Options

@Elizabeth Hornak I'm happy to help you transition to all the new stuff in Final Surge and help transition you to our new EN training plans. Chat with me here or schedule a call and we'll get you all setup with new EN awesomeness.

Matt Limbert @matt limbert

EN Training Plan Coordinator

• Options

@matt limbert - Thank you for the warm welcome back. It's been a long road for sure.

I had my on-boarding call today with Brenda, and she suggested I reach out and ask you about power. It is an idea I've toyed with for a few years, and I am ready to graduate from heart rate to power. I have a Garmin 920XT, and if there is a system that can talk to my watch, that would be great.

Thank you, and I look forward to working with you!

Cheers,

Elizabeth

• Options

@Elizabeth Hornak Glad to have you back. I have seen you jump into the GroupMe 👊💥Nice work!

A power meter is a game changer as a training and racing tool. Your Garmin 920 XT will connect to almost any power meter on the market. It uses a wireless connection called Ant+. Just like your HR monitor. Same kind of pairing process. Do it once and you are all set. There are lots of options - we can walk you through all of them. The first thing you will need to consider is how you get it on you bike. Power meters come in: single sided, double sided, or pedals.

Single sided - the power meter is in the left crank arm. It measures power from your left leg and estimated the power from your right. Pro: easy to install, cheaper Con: some folks like to see the power on the left and right side. Popular Brand: Stages, 4iiii, Pioneer

Double sided (or through axle based) - Power meter on the left crank arm and the right crank arm or in the axle that connects to the crank arms. Pro: super accurate Con: More expensive and more complicated to install - primarily because of the design and integration into the right (drive side) chain rings and crank arm. Popular Brand: Stages, Power to Go, FSA, Quarq, Pioneer

Pedals - the power meters are in the pedals PRO: accuracy of double sided, easy to install CON: you are limited to Look cleats, Power Tap cleats, no speed play (those little round pedals) Popular Brands: Garmin, Powertap

I'm happy to talk more. Send your questions.

Or do it the easy way and just ask the rest of the Team and start your own post!

Everyone has a favorite and is happy to share their experience, details on their pros / cons and price points. Here was a previous forum discussion so you can get the idea. https://endurancenation.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/25915/power-meter-purchase

• Options

@Elizabeth Hornak Just checking in! You are a workout generating machine! I love it? I saw you in GroupME too? How did it go last week?