Home New Member [First Month]
Options

Beth Hornak Micro Thread [Return to TeamEN]

Comments

• Options
    Hi Coach,

Thursday RR - To review it was not as good as the first, but it was a good learning experience. So, I went into it just getting over a cold, and with a little more chaos than the last as it feel during the week. The short story is that I got my kids on the bus, checked in with work, then got ready to ride. First, I forgot to weigh in.

Second, I put an aero bottle on my aero bars, which added 2# of fluid, and it threw the whole flow of my hydration plan as I had been traning with 20oz bottle and I know exactly where on the bottle I need to be as per hour. So, at hour 3, I looped back home, dumped it and went back to my old-school style.

Third, I was doing well until 5:xx hours when it got really hot and miserable. I also forgot to pack salt tabs and knew that if I tried to finish the last 10miles, it would be potentially dangerous.

I looped back home, took a salt tab, a gel and headed out to the run, which went well, all things considering.

The details

Used the first RR protocol per hour as 1 Honey Stinger Waffle, 3 pieces of Clif Shot Block (Black Cherry), 1 20oz bottle of water mixed with 2 scoops of scratch for a total of 410calories, and 830 sodium.

The run

1 Tropical Blast EGel, with water (not sure how much) and 1 Endurolyte tab. I gelled at 3 and 6 miles with 2oz of water at each mile.

I usually try to transition in 6' or under, but this day, it was more like 10-15. The fact that I recovered from the bike to do the run negated the extra time spent changing up.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1374103123

Friday, Day 2 - 56 mile ride.

A completely different day. Cool and overcast. Forgot to weigh in too.

Followed same food protocol as Thursday, but changed (will need feedback as if I should follow this for race day) fluid to EFuel, Endurance Blend, Tropical Blast, which set up as 460 calories - 1 Honey Stinger Waffle (150 cals), 3 pieces of Clif Shot Block (Black Cherry) (100 cals)

with an extra 50 calories coming from the EFuel (210 calories, 390mg sodium, 150mg potassium).

I was slow for the first half and then really seemed to get my energy after about 30 miles. It started raining 2 hours in, and I truthfully was tired, cranky and cursing being out there, and at the same time, just did my loops in the park, which was quiet because it was raining, met up with a mounted patrol twice for some nice hellos, and felt totally bad ass toward the end.

After it started raining, I did not pull out my last fuel bag, and relied on the EFuel for calories. Probably not super smart, but it worked.

Total time as 4:00 for 58.76 miles. For some reason my Garmin has not transferred the data, but the watch says average 14.7 mph / max 27.3 mph, ave HR 130, max 156.

The two questions that come to mind are; 1) how do I know when I need to take salt (LOU is trending warm at this point) and 2) should I consider switching hydration to EFuel - it will add extra calories, and that can be adjusted by dropping the Clif Shot Blocks, which will be 210 calories from liquid and 150 calories from a solid for 360 calories total. 

My husband is on the phone with his sister telling her that I am overanxious about fueling and IM, and said that he doesn't believe you need to practice anything if you know what you need and when, and dissed me for doing RRs. Please give me a sanity check. 

I hope this makes sense and I can't wait to hear back! 

• Options
    Beth -

sounds like you might need to stay "inside your box" through a little sooner than most other competitors. Don't pay any attention to your husband right now. After all, he's not the one doing the race. I promise I won't tell him how to do his job if he doesn't tell me how to do mine. image

What I'd like to see is you use that the fuel if you're comfortable with it. The calories are good, my only concern is the sodium is a bit lower. So save those cliff blocks for the run, but make sure you're taking one salt pill per hour for all of your training rides from now on out. We will also do this on race day. So at the 60 minute mark you are not only stretching a bit on the bike but also taking a pill. That should fit nicely into your plan.

to ride and run both looked great. Very pleased with your build on the bike and how you are able to sustain your energy. That balk at the end deathly tells you how important assisting top of refueling. The fact that you were able to turn it around and get stronger on day two tells me that that you fuel is giving you the calories you need to be successful. The only challenge you have on race that is deciding how you are going to consume that versus any other fluids on your bike. If it is warm and you decide to drink tons of water them are gonna need some salt pills on and to make sure that you can still continue to digest everything.

as you do your training from now on, let's continue using the raise fuel in your fuel belt and all the bottles on your bike. I do recommend that arrow bottle on the front I would plan on having one of your key bottles there and then just another bottle somewhere else in your bike. By every bottle I specifically mean a SpeedFil A2 so that you can drink it and then pour more drinking from other bottles into the container.

Maybe schedule a call for us to talk before race day so you are 100% on track: http://meetme.so/patrickmccrann (Please remember to include your phone number.)
  • Options

Coach,

Will get that call scheduled - thank you!

Inner zen,

Beth

• Options

Coach,

Given that the temps are changing at LOU (now 69 and sunny on race day), do I still need the one per hour salt tab? 

Also, start time temp is a cool 51, with a high of 69. Do I wear a wind shell on bike or arm warmers, and same strategy for run? 

Trying to remain calm,

Beth

• Options
    Coach,
    Got up early and aced the workout as written! YAY! Run went well - felt really good! image Bike was meh (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1388332006) - did not hit race pace (would like 15mph, but am okay if it is 14.9 / 14.8 on race day - and you've said that athletes are faster on race day), and was waay over on HR. Did dial in salt, nutrition and hydration and will take the win on that.

Temps were similiar to what I think will be in LOU - when I headed out it was upper 50's with sun, and I was warm on ride - thinking of taking a few extra minutes in T1 to change into dry clothes.

Inner zen,
    Beth
  • Options
    Beth, thanks for checking in. Yes to arm warmers (put on, roll into donuts, put in T1 bag so you can roll them on). I would only change if you think winds will be bad and make you cold...as long as you are moving you will be okay AND changing means losing 6 to 8 minutes in transition. Totally up to you. Super cool could be cycling gloves as well...but you'll want to burn it all by midday. image

That workout looked great! Let's keep it rolling!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Hey Coach P!

I had an AMAZING IMLOU! I haven't written my race report yet, but wanted to let you know my entire day set up just as I anticipated - it was seriously like Vinyasa Ironman, but I can see ways to improve. Will you provide you input on that, and thinking about 2017 - do I core dump here, or speak with you? 

Also, what is the process for choosing an OS start date?  

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING (and I am usually not an all caps kind of writer)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth

• Options
    HOLY AWESOME!!! You deserved it after all the energy you put into setting it up! image

YAY!

You can dump whatever you want here..and you can schedule a call with me for after I can read your dump -- http://meetme.so/patrickmccrann (Please remember to include your phone number.) Best to review ideas on the phone and then follow up with more notes. Deal?

Happy P
  • Options

Here ya go! Grab a beer and happy reading! *this is edited version from what I posted in the forum* 

Behind the Scenes

The training plan worked so well for me - it was appropriate for my work schedule and my family, and attainable from a execution perspective. I maintained the Thursday long runs in the pool or on the elliptical, and saved it all for the race rehearsal and the IM. I pushed the boundary on the RR run, going for 3:30 instead of the 3:00, and when I finished, I ran 16 miles, and knew that after that, I could run the 26.2 - it was a huge confidence builder. 

Going into race week, everything I wanted to do, like daily yoga, didn't happen, and the final days of the taper fell apart after we arrived in Louisville. We drove from Rochester, NY (my husband, Joe, did the race too and our two daughters, Emma (16) and Sara (14) came with us), and after 12 hours in the car, we were not keen on doing much driving on for my Thursday swim. So, I did no workouts except walk around the athlete village, and a walk from the village to the hotel. 

Thursday - Friday - served as admin days. Just getting settled into our hotel (we stayed across the river in Jeffersonville, IN) and getting ourselves unpacked and staged for Sunday. Thursday, we walked to the village, checked in and picked up the VIP badges (for my sister, Janine and friend Amy), and Thursday evening, Emma and Sara ran the 5K Fun Run, and Emma cruised in 2nd female overall. 

On Friday morning, Joe and I drove out to recon the course. We brought the bikes to ride portions of Ballard School Road, Old Sligo, Winters Lane and Yager Lane. I was also panicked because I could not get my chain to seat on the last cog on the rear. I had a local bike shop (I did not have time to get to my preferred shop) look at it and they could not find anything wrong. When I shifted, it jumped back a cog (when I took it to "my" shop, they told me that the other shop overtightened a screw which would not allow the chain to seat correctly). At this point, there was nothing I could do and just hoped that nothing would blow up on race day. After our recon ride, Joe dropped me at the athlete village to attend the afternoon briefing. I walked back to the hotel, ate and went feet up until dinner. The team dinner was awesome.

Saturday - Joe decided to do the practice swim, and I did not. He stayed on after the swim and attended the Saturday morning athlete briefing. Amy and I went to the airport to collect my sister, Janine, who flew in from Albany, NY. We went back to the hotel and Janine took the girls out to tour Louisville, Churchill Downs, and the Muhammad Ali Museum. Amy and I started staging the race bags and by time Joe got back, we were ready to take the bikes for check-in. Nothing dramatic about that process other than the long line, and some people being special snowflakes. After check-in and doing some sighting, it was back to the hotel for dinner. Amy and Janine took the girls to Wild Rita's, an amazing Mexican restaurant downtown. 

Lights out by 10. 

Race Morning - Up at 3:40 to take Synthroid. I went back to bed until 4:15, then ate oatmeal and a banana with almond milk, and a Sun Warrior Chocolate Protein Shake. Joe, Amy and I left for transition at 5:15, and arrived at about 5:30. The one thing I did not account well for (despite being from the polar vortex of Rochester, was dressing warmly up top. I had yoga pants and just a sweatshirt, but at least thought of a hat and gloves, but I could have done better by wearing a jacket. After putting my water bottles and food on my bike  and pumping my tires, it was off the land of the swim line. I lost Joe and Amy and ended up hiking around with my morning clothes bag and bike pump, hopefully I would find one of them. Joe did not realize that I was in the swim line and frantically had Dave, the announcer, on the PA system paging me with "Beth Hornak, your man is looking for you." At some point, he found me and we settled into line. At one point, the pace began to pick up, Amy found us, and the sun started to rise. We began to see more volunteers who began to brief us that the swim was close to starting and once it did, we needed to be prepared to move quickly. Clothes came off, wetsuits went on, gels were chugged, and water was sipped as we inched closer to the water. I kept my shoes on as long as possible, knowing I was in a sea of pee. Close to the swim start, I gave the shoes to Amy, but kept my socks on until the point of no return. As we entered the swim corral, our volunteer instructed us that it was time for a last kiss, and just like that, I was in the water.

Swim - I love to swim, and had no worries at all. I just wanted to stay in my zone, set up a personal lane, get the work done, and move on to the bike. I had very little contact with the other athletes and focused on my stokes and breath. Upon the turn past the island, I felt good and strong. The water was murky at best, so it would have been useless for me to use the Garmin. I remember swimming under the first bridge and looking up at the sheer magnificence of it. I probably lost a minute there, but it was such a beautiful experience, that I wanted to soak it in. I did the same thing for the second bridge and lost another minute,  but how many times in my life (unless I go back) will I have that opportunity?

Swim Exit - a little wobbly - I had the privilege of exiting with a challenged athlete and watched in awe as he was lowered into his wheels to begin his Ironman journey. After the wetsuit stripper helped me take off the wetsuit, it was a gingerly run to get the swim to bike bag and head into the great unknown, otherwise known as the changing tent.

T1 - By EN standards, my T1 time was a cocktail party. With morning temperatures in the middle 40's,  I made the decision not to swim in my tri kit and wear a swimsuit. It was a struggle to get dry clothes onto sticky skin and then add a technical shrug, but I knew I had to be warm - I am low thyroid and tend to be cold unless it is in the high 70's.  It was 6:00 slower than I would have liked, but warmth was key for me.

Bike - The first 10 miles are flat and I knew I needed to stay in my HR zone, settle in, and do the opposite of everyone else. Honestly, I should have worn gloves. My hands were so cold, I had trouble shifting, getting my water bottle, and picking up my food (honey stinger waffles, nearly cut into bit size pieces). I think I finally thawed out by mile 20. I focused on my HR, and eating and drinking every 15', so that by the end of the hour I had taken in all my calories. I got on the bike at around 9:20, and did not feel warm until 2:00 when the shrug came off. Overall, I was pleased with the way the bike went. I cog still would not sit, so I stayed out of that gear and hoped nothing else would crop up. At mile 40, my stomach hit a gooshy stage, so I used my mantra, improvise, adapt and overcome, and only ate half a honey stinger waffle and took in the majority of calories from fluid, which was Crank Sports, Tropical Blast. I also added in salt tabs beginning around noon. The biggest challenges for me were that I am not a ninja level rider and although I am able to pee in a wet suit and under some circumstances pee on the run, I have not mastered peeing off the bike. My bike computer time was 7:03, while official IM time about about 7:32, which means I lost a lot of time at rest stops. I did stop at special needs to pick up more food and hydration, despite trying to stuff all my nutrition into spi-belts on Saturday. It just did not work, so I took the loss on time, and went to Plan B, which was the special needs bag. I also have very sensitive skin, and have some many birthmarks, it is like organic art, so I need to re-apply sunscreen. Around mile 70, it became a mind game (insert stronger word). I began a mental game of pretending I was at home, and where would I be on those roads. At mile 80, my feet ignited and I had a base case of hot feet. I shifted around in my shoes, stood up, inverted and everted and tried to do anything to avoid stopping - until I had to pee, and there were no rest stops to found.  I passed a few guys who had pulled over and were peeing by the side of the road - that was Plan Z for me. I would pee of the bike, before I peed by the side of the road. At mile 90, I started peeing off the bike, at mile 100, it was the holy grail of rest stops. Fresh water, tapped out my feet, used the rest room and I was off for the last 12 miles. I felt really good and spun it out on the final stretch. 

T2 - Another cocktail party, but I changed shorts and socks, grabbed my spi-belt of food, tried to pee and walked out into the second great unknown - the run. 

Run - Here is where it would all come together and here is where I would learn what my mind and body were capable of. I made a pact with myself to walk the first mile. Get my legs back, shake out the hamstrings and not do anything foolish. I declined the invitation of several athletes exiting with me to run and my husband caught up with me on the first mile. I let him go too, keeping in mind, this was my race, my day and I needed to do what was right for me. At mile 2, I felt strong enough to run and run I did, for 25.2 miles. A feat that was unthinkable a year ago. To be told I couldn't, and then I did, was an incredible experience. At mile 4 or 7, I can't remember which, I felt a bit nauseous, so I took some salt and that settle things down. My nutrition protocol was water, water, gel, and I followed that through until mile 19 or 20, and then I was done. I stopped at special needs for a jacket and the rest of my gels, so I lost a little time there. Truthfully, I expected to get cold when the sunset, but I did not and ditched the jacket at mile 21 or 22 when I saw my sister and Amy. The line for me was mile 23. My left quad was getting shaky, as was my left achilles. At mile 24-ish there was a superstar cheerleader who gave me some good mojo to get to the final stretch. The last two miles seems interminable. When I finally made the turn onto 4th Street, it was a feeling that defies an adjective. Crossing the finish, under the lights, and amongst a cheering crowd that was almost defining, was just overwhelming. 

Final thoughts - This race was not only a journey for me physically, but mentally as well. My one thing, that I held so close to my heart on the run, was my friend Heather Boyum. She was killed four years ago while on a training ride by two drunk drivers. Her kids where 4 and 7. The emotional devastation from her death has sometimes prompted my husband to tell me to stay in the land of the living. When she was killed, I was supposed to be on that ride with her - so in a sense, I have survivor's guilt and a friend says I have PTSD. She had a goal of completing LP in '18 and as she would never miss the opportunity to race, I believe with my heart that she was very present and carried me through those last difficult miles. When I finished I kissed my hands and lifted them to the sky - to honor her goal,thank her for being my friend and for being with me. 

Early Sunday morning, I thought "one and done." Now, not so much. I am sure Coach Rich would tag this as the George Clooney phase of Ironman, but I had such a smooth training cycle and extraordinary race, that yes, I would do it again. I know I am capable of going under 15:00 comfortably and will use this IM as a stepping stone to another successful race. 

• Options
    Wow...so amazing. Thank you for sharing all the parts of your journey. Sometimes I get so focused on heart rate in pace and power but I forget there are real people out there doing his workouts andJohn themselves and these races.

On race day there were multiple occasions were you made the right decision on how to execute -- those are hallmarks of veteran racing and I couldn't be more proud. Without a doubt you have plenty of time left to take things off from your next race.

But in the meantime, sit back and soak it in. What you achieved there was unthinkable months earlier. Just reflect on that– don't not too many times in our lives will be can do things that were once unthinkable.Or at least certainly not as adults!:-)

We are here and ready to talk to you when you are ready to talk but there's no rush.

Best,

~ Coach P
  • Options

Hey Coach P,

Okay, so +4 week I am ready to move on. Have the finisher's jacket, bought a very swanky IM jacket that is, according to my daughters, somewhat obnoxious, but well earned.

Thinking to '17, but not sure how that will set up. I had high hopes for IMMT as many cool ENers will be there, but after dialoguing with Coach Rich, it just isn't possible. My niece is getting married in MT 7/15/17, and the week or so out there will consist mostly of booze and food (the hallmark of my husband's side of the family) rather than training. 

In the short term, I have a smack down challenge for a 1/2 marathon 1/8. I honestly have just begun to do some sort of structured training. The past four weeks have been mostly getting my feet back on the ground and catching up on the work that languished in the weeks leading up to the race. My question is can I prep (safely) for a sub 2:00? A few years ago, I ran a 1:59 (not under an EN plan) on a course that would be similar. I honestly do not want to race if this is not possible. 

Thank you!

Beth

• Options
    Beth, you know you've made it when your kids tell you that you are obnoxious. image

I haven't seen your dialogue with Coach Rich, but I don't understand how one week of drinking in the food could undermining Ironman? There are 51 other weeks in the year estimation point. In fact most people get injured and we lose a week anyway so you avoid injury and get to party like a rockstar. Then race with your team!!! Maybe you can send me a link or fill me in on that decision.

Getting you ready for the half is fine, please post a link to your Strava profile so I can see what you been up to. Please also tell me what type of training you want to do between now and then. Do you want to be an Outseason which kicks off in Dec, or do you want to run only for now, then OS later in January. You certainly aren't under any pressure.

Excited!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach,

Re: IMMT - Here is the short answer from my Macro Thread - "Less of an impact on MT, as it's about 4-5wks out. I guess it depends on your goals for either race, how much of a legit vacation you want to take, etc. IE, do you want to have to shoe horn IM training into this vacation?"

Here is the Gamin connect link from today's 5 miler (I am not on Strava) - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1450783590I walked twice (about 27' and 40'), so that accounts for the pace as I did not stop the watch. 

Original plan was for Dec OS. I think a 3x a week run would work well for me, that way I could still get on the bike and perhaps drop in a swim and do some TRX training. 

Plan B is a half during the March 1/2 Marathon challenge. I have a friend who is willing to train with me and pace me for that race. She's run a 1:58:xx 1/2. 

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Beth

• Options
    I personally think a vacation would be a nice break..we'd have to train you up before hand, so you NEED a rest...and then we dial you in. As long as you don't gain 10 lbs you should be good. image

Your pace is a bit slow right now, but that's to be expected coming off your massive year. You'll need a few weeks of "just running" to be a place where you can RUN FASTER...let's set that target to be 11/28... And keep me posted. We can see how you are doing before Xmas and we can then decide if 1/8 is going to happen or if we defer.

We need you to be comfortably putting up some 9:00 miles in a few weeks..it's tight! image

~ Coach P
  • Options

Hey Coach!

Happy Turkey Day! I ran the No Watch 5k challenge today and clocked 26:55, which exceeded my expectation of 4:05 ~ I think that I would like to defer to the 3/26 race to properly prep and rehab my body. The new VDOT shows a possible 2:04 13.1, and I really want to come in under 2:00, so rather than slam a training plan, and hope it works, I am going to follow the DOS for a bit, then loop into the 1/2 beginner plan. 

Let me know your thoughts on that. 

Cheers,

Beth

• Options
    Beth, I like it. I think it's important for you to keep in mind that your limiter here is not your fitness potential, but rather how well you have absorbed this year. Your current drug training and that 5K performance lead me to believe that you have a little bit more resting to do.

There's a time for resting, and there's a time for reaching -- now is the time to consolidate. I think the December out season is perfect!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach,

Thank you. I signed up for the Syracuse Half 3/26/17.

Looking forward to a fun OS!

Cheers!

• Options
    Awesome!! It's Game On!!

Have a great weekend,

~ Coach P
  • Options

Hey Coach,

Happy New Year!

So, I've been giving thought to 2017, and I don't see an IM as viable option, as much as I want it to be. My eldest daughter, Emma, is a junior in HS this year, and this summer will be all about her - visiting colleges, driver's ed (yikes) and generally prepping for her senior year. That said, I want the theme of 2017 to be "Be Fast." When I first joined EN, and raced my first race under the Sprint Training Plan, it was crazy fast (17.5mph on bike, bumped under 8:00's on the run). I would like to recapture that this season. 

I also feel like I still need to recover from IM, get knee strong and healthy again, lots of yoga and Pilates 2x a week (a friend of mine has an amazing studio - she is a former Rockette who used Pilates to rehab two catastrophic dance injuries).

My daughters and I relayed a 1/2 marathon today. I ran two loops - 6.66 miles in 60:49 (with mile 3 at 8:38!). I am feeling all that right now. image I feel like this is a good metric for the 1/2 on 3/26. 

I only have one race on deck and that is a sprint relay I do each year with Emma - I SB and she anchors with the run. We've podiumed each time we've raced, and we want to defend again this year. Looking at all possibilities given family, possible travel and other life stuff. As soon as I have a framework, I will submit my roadmap. Until then, I am on the beginner 1/2 plan, and also using bike workouts from DOS. I also swim 1-2x a week because it's easy for me to do, I like to swim and I think it's good for my body.

That's all the news for now.....

Cheers,

Beth

ps-the one thing I am annoyed with post-IM, is that my husband, who did a ping pong plan, had a crappy nutritional plan, aced me by 19 minutes. I aced him on the swim, he had me by 30' on the bike (my bike computer said 7:03, clock time was 7:32 -> must learn to pee off bike and avoid aid stations and learn how to keep all nutrition on my to avoid SN, and aced me by about 20' on run, but given the fact this time last year I could not walk down the flight of stairs, I will swallow my pride). Not sure if that debrief is phone call worthy, but let me know your thoughts. 

• Options
    Thanks so much for checking in! I think you're doing the smart thing by picking a realistic year. Everybody loses when you try and force more into an already crowded schedule, especially one that's so important.

Just hearing you talk about driver's ed and going to colleges is bringing me a lot of anxiety. image

We can deftly get you back on the faster track, although it will take being a little more strategic with recovery and strength as you have noted. Once you know your races, let's schedule a phone call: http://meetme.so/patrickmccrann (Please remember to include your phone number.). That would give me a chance to kind of adding my two cents to watch a year should look like, and hopefully give you instructions on how to layer our plans for maximum effect. In the meantime it'll be helpful for me to hear about what your basic week looks like.

As in literally write it out like this:

Mon -
    Tue -
    Wed -
    Thu -
    Fri -
    Sat -
    Sun -

Congratulations on the half, and don't worry about racing your husband. If we had known that was the goal, I probably would've had you execute differently. At the very least, there would've been some serious mind games going on!!!!!! image
  • Options
    Coach,

No worries about hubby - I thought I had him when he was training with crackers, bagels and cliff bars. No nutrition plan at all. But, he jokingly says he won't do another IM because he knows I will beat him. LOL

So, I found my way to a PT who, thinks all my on-going issues (medial knees and PF in left foot) are due to my lower back. Who knew? She is keeping protocol super simple at this points - cobra 5x a day, with a check in next week. Based on the running I've done (not much), and her thoughts from today, I've decided to give up my bib at the half in March. She says the risks will outweigh the rewards, but by my Oct 1/2, I will be in crazy good shape to PR.

All that said, it leave me plan-less. The running in the DOS / JOS is too much for the time being - I can run probably 3x a week maximum with low volume. I've been trying to get on bike 2-3x a week and pool once. It breaks down like this:

Mon - pool
    Tue - pilates / run
    Wed - bike
    Thu - pilates / run
    Fri - pool or bike
    Sat - run
    Sun - bike

Let me know your thoughts on a plan.....

Schedule-wise, I will not be able to a tri until August. 

Cheers,
    Beth

• Options
    Beth, thanks for the update! Any chance we can put you on the OutSeason® plan but modify it? That has the good bike work you need, and three times a week...so that would be this: 

Mon - Swim
    Tue - Bike/Run
    Wed - pilates
    Thu - bike/Run
    Fri - Pool
    Sat - Run
    Sun - bike from Sat

Now if you tell me Pilates is only on Tues/Thurs...I can adjust!  Standing by!

• Options
    Coach,

Yes re: OS - perhaps FOS? 

Pilates can be Tues / Thurs or Tues / Fri (I prefer these days because I know both instructors and they tailor the work to my needs).

YAY!

• Options
    Feb OS it is....it's looming!!  :wink::sweat_smile:

Ok, let's do the beginner level and let's have you modify it like this with the Tu/Fri Pilates....

Mon - Swim / Run
    Tue - pilates
    Wed - Tuesday Bike /Run
    Thu - Thursday Bike Ony
    Fri - Pilates
    Sat - Run
    Sun - bike from Sat

How does that look?  :scream:
  • Options
    Perfect! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  B)
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2017 2:59AM
    Hey Coach,

So that family wedding I wrote you about.....my niece has decided her dissertation is more important than getting married, and YAY her for getting her Ph.D. done!

So, that opens up my season - a lot. Question becomes, stay with the go fast theme, or try to go HIM, and PR? My daughter Emma (16) and I have a standing mother-daughter date at the Cazenovia Sprint, I swim / bike, and she anchors. It falls the third weekend in August (we podium every year, so it is extra-special), and the HIM would be the week before ~ swim is fairly fast as is the rest of the course (it is two loops for both the bike and the run). 

I am conflicted - the summer is unknown at this point. Emma will be going into her senior year in September, which means college visits and most likely a summer job. Sara, my youngest daughter (14) is old enough to work at her stable, and will be competing again in her summer equestrian riding series (dates unknown at this point). 

There is a zippy sprint weekend of 7/16, and then the only other race I would have is a 13.1 weekend of 10/1. 

I know we spoke of adding to a crowded plate, but after doing a 140.6 last year, training for a sprint, just doesn't seem that exciting.

Let me know your thoughts, and if it time for a phone chat. 

Beth

ps- knees are doing awesome ~ can run short 3x a week. 
  • Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak - let me see if I get this right: 
    • 07/16 Sprint
    • 08/13 HIM
    • 08/19 Mother Daughter Sprint
    • 10/31 Half Marathon
    I think you can line up the Half to have goals and something to work towards, but I'd encourage you not to be too serious about it. This way if there's a competition or event, you can work with me to adjust. 

I say you continue with FEB OS (due to end on 5/14), at which point we put you on the EN*Half plan..what say you?

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach P,

Verified that HIM is 8/20, and Mother-Daughter Sprint is 8/27. What do you think?

Beth
  • Options
    @Elizabeth Hornak  

Game one...Your year is:
    • 07/16 Sprint
    • 08/20 HIM
    • 08/27 Mother Daughter Sprint
    • 10/31 Half Marathon
    So that means plans are: 
    • FEB OS (due to end on 5/14)
    • Swim Camp (set to end on 5/28, so two weeks)
    • HIM plan to end on 8/20!
    Deal?

~ Coach P