Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Alicia Chase Micro Thread...

124»

Comments

• Options
    Had my first PT session today @Coach Patrick and thought I’d give you an update. Basically, I am “hyper-flexible” which other therapists have noted, and I don’t have the hip strength to control the movement in my joints when I run. My knees want to dive in and he feels this is what leads to my eventual injuries. And the old injury and surgery in my right hip doesn’t help. He gave me some one-legged strength work to do and I go back in two weeks. Still no running, which is killing me because I feel like I’ve lost all the gains I made with all the hard work I did last fall and winter. Hopefully, the strength work will get me back there before too long and without injury (!) And, he said because of my age and activity level, I basically have to do strength training year round. I can cut back to once a week maintenance mode when I’m in heavy training, but I can’t give it up altogether like I usually do (painfully obvious to me now). I see the dr again next week, and if there are no more surprises from the MRIs, I’m going to start thinking about next season. 
  • Options
    Perfect!! I am still punch at how your year turned out considering h I am still pumped that how you here turned out considering where things could have gone. ow things could have been. 💪 
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2019 11:49AM

Hey @Coach Patrick I wanted to reach out and give you a life update and get your advice. The hip is healed...whatever it was (I believe a tear of some kind) seems to have resolved. I stopped running in December out of frustration and starting hiking with a friend. Best thing I could’ve done. The hip got better and I found a new passion. I joined the Jan OS and was consistent with the bike workouts , but replaced the runs with strength and snowshoeing and hiking. My last hike was an 8 1/2 hr, 14 mi epic day. I know it’s a different energy system, but when I recently returned to running, I found that the strength and hiking/snowshoeing hadn’t affected my pace much (and I need to run slower, anyway, to not get hurt again). We found out in February that my husband needed open heart surgery. He has had a bad valve that we knew would need replacing eventually, but also found out that he had three blockages. His surgery was two weeks ago and he’s making good progress. Reality has bit hard. His care and return to health (prognosis is excellent) has to be my priority, and I don’t see how I can race this summer—at the level I would want to compete—and fit it all in (I’ve taken time off from work, but will be going back full-time in a couple of weeks). I had signed up for Conn 70.3 and IMLP. Conn definitely has to be off the table, can’t see how I’d be able to race in two months—right now, I’m managing about an hour of training a day, though I can see that two hr trainer rides should soon be possible. I can defer IMLP until next year, and though it pains me to acknowledge it, I know this is the right thing to do. Once I go back to work, I can’t see how I can suddenly start adding in 2-3 hrs of training a day on top of 8 hrs of work, and still be home for my husband to help around the house and with rehab and appts. But, I really want to make sure that I at least hold on to my base, so I can be ready to jump back into run durability in the fall, and Jan ‘20 OS (and do some hiking this summer). I’ve looked at the plans and I’m not sure which would be best. As I said, for now I can manage about an hour a day, with the occasional two+ hr ride. I can do trainer and strength at home, and can run from my house and never be too far away. Trips to the gym to swim won’t be for several weeks at least. Should I just restart the OS and do what I can? The Get Faster plan looked like too much volume (time) out of the gate. Thanks for your help and support.

• Options

@Alicia Chase Thank you so much for reach out to me and giving me your full update!!!! I am glad you found your mojo and reconnected with the outdoors (exercise is the reason to start, nature is why we return!). I often recommend hiking / cross training as the durability skyrockets with that type of stuff. Feel free to keep it up!!!

I agree 1000% with your decision. No possible way to know what lies ahead. I recommend you plan for not being able to do it and train; worst case scenario you are no pressure and fit by July and life is great and you do some kind of Fall Half or event! #winwin

In terms of a plan, I'd normally put someone in your place on a run plan as running is so dang simple. Even 15 minutes a day COUNTS as a streak. And there will likely be some tight days when you return to work. So keep that in mind.

But we need to be mindful of your body so we don't go nuts.

So all of that said, I like the OutSeason plan, Beginner level, with the OS Strength Supplement added. No need to swim, but the bikes are great (you can do 80% vs 90% for the first 4 weeks) and you can keep the runs low. Monday / Friday are Core + Strength only...let me know what you think and if you need help loading that into Final Surge!

Sending you much mojo,

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick I loaded the OS Bike Focus Plan to restart on Monday. I figure I can always add more running when I’m ready. I had already loaded the Run Plyo Plan, so I’ve added the Core Plan, too. I thought about Run Durability for the same reason you did, but I’m not ready for the mileage, yet. And, with a trainer and Zwift right at home, it’s not usually too hard to jump on the trainer for an hour of intervals. I definitely want to get my run durability back, without the injuries, thank you very much, so I will continue to prioritize strength training over the low priority runs. There is a weekly local mini-tri series all summer in Lake Placid, plus a really fun Olympic Tri in Lake George on Labor Day weekend that I’ve done many times, pre-Ironman. I can use both of those to keep my tri-training going. Plus, there are several local cycling events/fondos/centuries that I can do for fun and motivation. My husband improves every day, but his 10# lifting restriction is for 12 weeks, which means almost all of the house/yard work, dog-walking, grocery shopping, etc. will be my responsibility until the school year ends. That’s ok, the racing will be there for me when I’m able to return to it. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

• Options

All that actual lifting his core work! I think your head is in the right place. As long as you’re able to remain open minded and roll with each day I think you’ll be fine. So impressed with your mental fortitude.