Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Andrew Lustigman Official Coach Thread

Here's your personal Coach Thread, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is here to guide you through your first year on EN, so you can always come back here. 

As you'll see in this forum, I handle all manner of edits and changes.  So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Your Notes

I am running my first Olympic on Sunday 9/24.  I have completed three smaller races - NJ State Sprint, Wildwood "Olympic" and a lake club race.  I have been training 10-12 hrs week (training time). I run about a 10 min mile, a 17 or so bike, and about 2:15/ yrd swim.   

Your Races

• 07/01/18 Olympic NYC
  • 7/15/2018 70.3 Mussleman
  • 09/23/18 - AC 70.3
  • Fall Marathon TBD

Season Outline

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 09/20/2017
  • Use the results from your Olympic to save your Bike and Run Zones to the My Zones Page.
  • On 9/25/2017 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/8/2017
  • On 10/9/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/5/2017
  • On 11/6/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/3/2017
  • On 12/4/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/31/2017
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Beginner OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the Beginner Swim Camp to end on 04/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Beginner Short Course to end on 6/3/2018
  • On 6/4/2018 Load the Beginner EN*Half to end on 7/15/2018
  • >> Take a Break <<
  • On 7/16/2018 Load the Beginner EN*Half to end on 9/23/2018
  • On 9/24/2018 Load the -- Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 10/7/2018
  • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018

Coach Notes

https://endurancenation.wistia.com/medias/4ep3iq1uhy

Contact Points

These are all the key points in your first year where we must talk. You can schedule all calls with me for these times online here. Please remember to include your phone number.

• Welcome Call in Week One (set it up here)
  • Coach Call in Week Two to talk about your season (set it up here)
  • End of Trial Call -- We review your experience & Unlock Year One / Race Execution for you (set it up here)
  • End of Season Call -- We review your year & Strategize for your “gap” and Year Two (to be announced)

For short or last minute questions, we recommend you use the Red Chat Icon on the main Members website
We have also organized a complete chart of the best ways to contact us online here

Your First Month on the Team

You have quite a few things to do when you start up. There are instructions on the top of the website, but you can review them under Resources / 0-- First 30 Days on EN.  If you have any trouble, don’t hesitate to reach out via the chat icon on the main Members website here.

Your First Year Inside Endurance Nation

This will be unlocked after your trial expires.

Your Homework

Tell Us Why You Choose EN & Your Season Goals

• Please reply below with WHY you chose Endurance Nation and WHY you train/compete.
  • Whenever possible, please identify your goals -- time, body composition, completion...the sooner you put them down the sooner we can get towards achieving them. 

Looking forward to working with you this year,

~ Coach P

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Patrick -

Thank you for the schedule. I am not sure on my first 70.3 race, I think it will likely be July 8 (either Muskoka or Williamsburg), and it likely will not be Maine.   When do I need to alter the above plan?
  • Options
    @Andrew Lustigman - you'd be good through the end of the OutSeason® on 4/15...we can check in to see what's next based off of your final schedule...but for now you are in a good place with Run Durability Program (RDP)!
  • Options
    Coach - question - you indicated above to start the run durability 9 mos out plan.  I don't see that but figured that I'm supposed to download 

2017 OutSeason / Run Durability Plan, Beginner, 14wks

Is this correct and if so do I start with week 1?

please advise. 

• Options
    Andrew, while Coach P is on Hawaii, he's asked some of us to check in on the Coach Threads and answer any questions as needed.

Looking at your Season Plan, Coach Patrick has suggested you spend the months of October, November, and December in the "Run Durability" Plans. That is different than the "OutSeason..." plan you note above. You'll find the Run Durability plans (Listed as "Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 week") by scrolling to the bottom of the training plans.

http://members.endurancenation.us/TrainingPlan.aspx

Each of those is 4 weeks long, so for the first one, you should select 11/5/17 as the Sunday it will end on, then load #2 for the next 4 weeks, etc thru all three. At the end of those three months, check with Coach P about which plan to load next. There are NEW OutSeason plans for 2018. Within the each day, there are beginner, intermediate and advanced options, listed as level 1, 2, or 3. There are two OS plans, one with a Run emphasis, and the other for bike emphasis. I suspect he will want you to load that 2018 Plan, labelled "2018 OutSeaon Run Focussed (All Levels) 14 wks
  • Options
    Thank you. Found it!
  • Options
    Thanks @Al Truscott -- @Andrew Lustigman I am back...so let me know how it's going!!!
  • Options
    Patrick - I have my call with you tomorrow at 9:30 am.  Thought I would provide a list of some topics that I hoped to cover.  Thanks

1.  Race selection - I'm looking at my first 70.3.   I'm not looking to podium, just prepare well and execute with dignity and not get hurt.  Considering:  Mussleman and AC.

2.  From a completion standpoint running distance is probably my greatest challenge.

2.  OS strength training protocol

3.   Info on training camps

4.   Training and travel, ski, etc. 

5.  Tri bike suggestions

Looking forward to our chat.
  • Options
    Thanks for the call.  Just a reminder to please send me the recommended core and strength program. Ty

• Options
    Spoke to Coach P today about choosing my first HIM.  Assuming AC 70.3 is "A" race, what do you think about St. Andrews as a first race.  I was considering Mussleman. Timing on either would work.  Thanks

• Options
    One more question:  I've been struggling with severe hamstring and calf pain on my left side.  I am in the run durability program, but believe I need to take some time off from running.  What is the recommended modification to the training plan until I feel better -- i.e., bike, swim?  Thanks 
  • Options
    @Andrew Lustigman -

Either one of those races over, you tell me which it is and I’ll make it happen!. We’re going to have a streak of pain that’s definitely a warning sign.

Sounds like there could be some piriformis issues perhaps some pressure on the sciatic nerve if it’s not matched with tightness down the leg.  If you haven’t already, maybe try going to get some ART work done to see what the restrictions. I agree that you should dial back the wonder ability right now as it’s not worthwhile exacerbating the situation. We still on daily consistency, so I will be OK with a program that balanced biking and swimming, and you can still do some walking as well. We don’t want to be too tight.

As you evaluate the leg, take into account how do you spend 90% of your day at a desk or in the car, you might need to start working in breaks there to produce that positional stress. 
  • Options
    Thanks. A little trouble with the transcription.  Guessed as to most but what is meant by "ART work done"
  • Options
    Andy, ART stands for Active Release Therapies. You can find information about that with a google search. Finding a good provider in your hood would be the first step. Perhaps you could ask Scott.
  • Options
    Sorry for so many questions - if I am taking off time from running for a bit given the run pain, is there a different program I should load for the next week or two ?  Appreciate the guidance.  
  • Options
    @Andrew Lustigman Thanks for your patience with Siri. She hates me...

ART: Active Release Techniques (ART) is an innovative treatment that is helping world-class athletes, active individuals, and people from all walks of life. It is a patented, state-of-the-art soft tissue system/movement-based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves. More Here

Core Work: I recommend the Maintenance Series that Leigh has created for us. It's fantastic and fairly simple, you can view it online here.

Time Off From Running in the Fall: We don't really have an I can't run in the Fall plan (we have those in season); so I suggest you set up your week as follows: 

Mon - Swim (From Friday) / Core
    Tue - Bike Steady 45 to 60',  Walk off the bike or do your rehab stuff here.
    Wed - OFF
    Thu - Bike Steady 45 to 60',  Walk off the bike or do your rehab stuff here.
    Fri - Swim (From Friday) / Core
    Sat - Bike as planned.
    Sun - Swing day, you can walk or try to walk/run as you are able. 

Right now your injury is your Coach. So it's stretching, mobility and maintenance. You are structurally limited, and once we get that sorted you'll be okay...please keep me posted and be sure to check in on the Injury Forum as well for support for perhaps finding tips from others. 
  • Options
     Very helpful. Thank you 
  • Options
    @Andrew Lustigman no worries. Learning to listen to your body is a life long journey. The sooner we get this going the better off you'll be!!

Keep me posted! 

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Hi. I updated my race schedule, which hadn't been updated since trial.   I am assuming 1/8 outseason, let me know how rest of season changes.  Thanks. 
  • Options
    @Andrew Lustigman Sorry man..a bit of a backlog here on planning seasons, but I'll catch up! Updated above...
  • Options
    Coach -   In looking at the Jan outseason start, my work/travel life will be hell between 1/7 and 11/15.   I will likely be able to complete most runs, but not sure on swim/bike.  I don't have a plan for the week between New Years and 1/8. I've been trying to follow the run durability program (pre-ousteason) as best I can. Should I try to do the 1/8-1/15 ousteason plan events (particuarly non-run) starting on 1/2 and focus on run the following week, or do something different?  Appreciate the guidance.   
  • Options
    @Andrew Lustigman - That adjustment sounds totally fine to me.  Especially since the first week is really just kind of finding your legs.

While you’re on the road, consistent running or a daily “something a little bit” is your best bet.

That way when you come back, you can jump right into week two of the outseason with the rest of the group!!!

happy Holidays,

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Coach -

I could use some guidance on planning my 2018 racing calendar.   I think planning to get married was easier.   As a reminder, I've completed 4 short distance tris in 2017.  My goal is to complete my first 70.3, and hopefully complete at least 2 of them this season.   

I pretty closely followed post season run durability and am in the midst of January 2018 OS which I'm keeping up with on a regular basis. 

Here's what I have - looking for guidance on when I should try to plan other races (including distances), and how many, and etc.      

5/3-6  BRC Camp
    5/20  Am Zof 
    6/16  Local Sprint 
    6/21-24 LP camp
    7/1 NYC Olympic
    Potential 8/26 Maine 70.3 (family dependent - don't know dates for daughter college drop off)
    9/23 AC 70.3 (but getting mixed reviews).

If it is easier for me to schedule a call, let me know. 

Thanks!

• Options
     Andrew, thanks for reaching out. I’m happy to talk to you if it gets to that point, but let’s see what we can do here. I like the idea of having a decent break between  AmZo and the camp at Lake Placid...about six weeks), and I would look at another six weeks until your next race At a minimum. So you could potential he reset the end of July / early August  as well if that opens up other races for you.

The rain is conflicting with your daughters drop off be a pain no matter what that time of year, and I think a race like Atlantic City will just make your season too damn long.

It might be nice to be done with Racing by the end of July so you can enjoy riding long  with your fitness and do some fall centuries, etc. let me know what your Race options are
  • Options
    Coach - I'm sure we could avoid the phone call, but could you please translate the above.  I think the voice to text didn't come out, specifically: 

"So you could potential he reset the end of July / early August  as well if that opens up other races for you.
    The rain is conflicting with your daughters drop off be a pain no matter what that time of year, and I think a race like Atlantic City will just make your season too damn long"
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2018 6:48PM
    Trying to translate, I guess that would leave me with the following late July/early August options:

Mussleman (non IM), Ohio, Whistler, Calgary, Boulder (assume NG b/c of altitude), Steelhead.   Which would you say is best suited for a first 70.3 (and easiest swim) and “experience”.  Assuming I’m keeping up with Jan OS what’s the earliest 70.3 I could attempt.  
  • Options
     Unfortunately I have not done any of those races, so your teammates will be the best ones to tell you which would be most newbe friendly!

I think steelhead will be great for you as it is also a team race this year which means lots of fun and support!

Outside of that  I would probably go with muscleman to keep the logistics as simple as possible. 
  • Options
    Coach - I'm a little confused.  I see that the half plans have been released.   The half plan is 20 weeks, which would likely take me to my first race (TBD, but G-d willing July 2018). I am in week 7 of outseason (January OS).  Do I stick with OS plan, or switch to the EN 1/2 plan that was just released.  If I stick with OS, how do I modify the EN 1/2 plan.   Thanks!
  • Options
    No worries, this happens to people in the first season. Please go all the way to the tippy top of this forum thread where you’ll find my guidance for the season. That includes instructions on when to change plans by date. Even though the plans are 20 weeks along, for example, you will only do part of them… The part that matters. Please let me know if you have any questions after you read above.
  • Options
    @Andrew Lustigman  - 

Great to talk today...I appreciate how organized you are! Here are some of my thoughts from the call so we can keep rolling forward:

• Let's use Heart Rate from these long runs for your race performance / rehearsal planning. Since we know you don't "fit the mold" then we need to use your historical data to make sure that race day targets / limits are accurate using these sessions. 
    • Mondays Off Is Good, Permanently.  Let's keep this flow for you; your body (and mind) will thank you tons come July / August / Sept. 
    • Half Marathon, Coming Up! There's some guidance on pacing 13.1 in the Run Wiki here.
    Keep up the good work!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2018 6:37PM
    Thanks Coach.  Ran the West Point half today.  Significant elevations (1200’ plus climbing). Finished in 2:05. Happy with how I did.  Top 50 percent of age group,9:34 official pace.