Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Andrew Lustigman Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options

Coach - forgive the follow up question, but I'm a little unclear. Do you recommend trying a steeper or less steep running shoe given the Achilles Tendinitis ? Thanks.

• Options

No worries, and sorry I wasn’t clear. You want to use a steeper shoe - This will effectively shorten the stretch on the Achilles making it easier for her to recover until you don’t have pain and you can improve range of motion.

• Options
    edited March 18, 2019 8:58PM

FYI - I've been following JOS per above, but have not done any long runs (beyond 6-7 miles at a clip) because of concern of aggravating Achilles. Yesterday, I did the NYC Half Marathon (epic race experience). I was pleasantly surprised (actually shocked) to have completed it in 1:53, with an average pace of 8:42 (top 31% overall). This is way way way beyond what I've previously done in any race - and more than 11 minutes faster than my first and only half marathon last March (West Point), before I got hurt. Going into the race, I was quite nervous wondering if I could even complete it, but the cardio work on the bike, coupled by the running speed and frequency work of OS, clearly has paid off. Just felt like sharing as it seems like a better way to train for the plus 50 crowd that isn't looking at the podium. Will stick with the schedule above unless you advise otherwise.

Thanks to you and @scott dinhofer for the insight.

• Options

AWESOME!! Kudos to you for staying consistent in your training and for even giving a race a try clearly turning the consistency you are doing is epic and making a big difference. I’m very pleased to wear and see where you’re at.

Of course that nagging Achilles problem is probably driving you insane right now. I look for to talk with you on the phone about what you’ve done and what our options are.

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman Great to talk yesterday! As you progress, You can continue to do the speed work on the run through the end of April...then in may, we need to be doing more tempo work. So that is Zone 3 work. So I would replace the speed work with 2 x 2 miles in Zone 3, 2' rest between. You will build to 8 miles of tempo in a single run...as it gets longer you might need to shift tempo focus to the weekend.

1 = 2 x 2 mile (2')

2 = 3 x 1.5 mile (1.5')

3 = 2 x 2.5 mile (2.5')

4 = 4 x 1.5 mile (1.5')

5 = 2 x 3 mile (3')

6 = 3 x 2.5 mile (2.5')

7 = 2 x 4 mile (4')

• Options

Coach - As I am setting my 2019 Half plan, can you please confirm the end date. I am scheduled to race on June 2 (Quassy 70.3), and the above listing has me changing to a full plan on 5/20. Please confirm what dates I should use.

Thanks.

• Options

Given that you are doing Lake Placid, I like the idea of you starting with a half build but then transition into the fall. This way we keep you on track with the requisite volume for Placid. Let me know if that doesn’t make sense. Of course, we will need to work in Quassy but that’s pretty easy to do.

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman - this popped up when i was actually looking at Les Forums!!

@Coach Patrick has you switching over to the full plan from the half, likely at a point where the workload is similar, but this will get you going overall on a better path to LP. You should reach out to him for instructions on how to handle your final two weeks before IM Quassy and your 2 weeks after (recovery)

I suspect he may now alter your plans.. but let's see!

(apparently I wrote this before P answered, but forgot to hit "post")

• Options

@scott dinhofer Thanks for the assist!

@Andrew Lustigman for sure let’s check in mid May to see what changes you want to make. For now, let’s keep it rolling.

• Options

Coach - After seeing that you are giving the 4 keys lecture at LP I decided to give the race a shot I hope to go to LP next week with @scott dinhofer what would you suggest as training there - figure arrive Thursday by 5pm and leave 5pm sat Thoughts.

also I've been invited to ride a flat century ride on July 20 The plan has a 3 hr ride that day Any concerns about me doing that ride I could use the saddle time

Thanks

• Options

One more question, at LP camp 2018, you had a powerpoint on the course breakdown. Is that something you can share?

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman good to hear from you! Working in reverse, here is the link to our race information page for Lake Placid: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/MasterRacingPages/IronmanLakePlacid.aspx

That should have everything you need for the race, but if not let me know! Note that the bike course is a little different this time around so some of the old webinar data isn’t exactly perfect.

It will be great to see you there! We want you to do two laps on the course on both days. Do not attempt to ride with Scott, you need to ride your own pace. If you can get 2 x 1 12 then he will be in a fantastic position for the race. The goal will be to be stronger in the second lap of both days. So be smart on the first lap and really fuel up. If you need to stop at a store and buy more don’t be shy!

Your long run for the week will be on Sunday, do something like a course with 3x5 mile loops so you can refuel and self-care at home as needed. Monday OFF, Tuesday’s SWIM ONLY.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2019 10:34PM

@Andrew Lustigman - I see that @Coach Patrick didnt answer your question about the century the week before IMLP(7/20).. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE do anything with greater volume than what the training plan calls for after our soiree in LP this weekend. your performance on race day WILL suffer. the smartest things you can do between now and the day before race day is to stay away from carbs and alcohol as well as wrapping yourself in bubble wrap so you don't do anything stupid. Riding 100 miles the week before your IM = Stoopid - ask yourself what is more important to you? finishing the social flat century or finishing LP and feeling like you accomplished your goals? time to wear your big boy pants!

unless @Coach Patrick disagrees...

• Options
    edited July 11, 2019 1:48AM

@scott dinhofer is 100% correct. I think some part of my brain just block that out! Thanks for catching it. Stay the course Andy!

• Options

Coach - have done a few runs in the heat and find it very challenging to keep heart rate at a sustainable level. Recommendations for run and bike heat management?

• Options

It takes a while to get used to the heat, so every chance you have to run in the heat between now and re-state is an opportunity for you to adopt more, so don’t hide from it. For the bike, it’s early hydration to stay on top of what your body needs, and then using water at the last few eight stations to get soaking wet to keep her poor body temperature down.

You will be hotter when you climb so having water available to get wet from a cage on your bike before you start those clams will be important.

Same thing in reverse on the run. Those first 28 stations you need to get your head and body wet without soaking the feet. It will help you keep your core body temperature down. The heat is only a factor for a few hours on race day, so you just need to be on top of it when it matters most. Later in the day when the temperature drops you off he also called you won’t know what you were complaining about!

Most of all, it’s really important to use your heart rate as a guide. We don’t want to be in a situation where your heart rate is significantly higher than it should be. So you need to know what your normal long ride and run heart rates are and make sure that you don’t go any higher than 3 to 5 beats above that number. It is affectively your “governor” for effort on the day.

• Options

Coach - thanks for all your support and insight at IMLP. Much appreciated.

Just checking in on next milestone event. I'm registered for the Marine Corp marathon (oct 27th). Wanted to see what plan(s) you recommend that I load. I very much want to integrate bike work as it allows me to build fitness without the pounding of the long runs. Thanks

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman Of course, it was an awesome weekend for sure! I would recommend you load the 2019 balance to Marathon PLAN beginner level two and on Marine Corps. The new plans have a little bit more running in them and the workouts are broken down differently so that you can see the builds for mileage and the key workouts. This is a good starting point for us and I can always make more adjustments for your schedule if needed.

Remember you can click on training plans in Final Surge and preview any of the plans that are there to get a sense for how they’re different. I believe that coming off of the IRONMAN that doing an aggressive run plan will be too much so I think the beginner option is best for you.

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman Great to talk today! So I modified the Balanced Marathon Plan for you In Final Surge. Based off our call, easy week into moderate week into split long run weeks. You can see "mod" at the end of the workouts I changed over (hover over them on a laptop).

You can always swap in a ride for a run as needed, but ideally we can keep things rolling so you can handle the increased midweek and weekend long run mileage to come. If your body rebels, then so be it...we adjust. Please keep me posted!

~ Coach P

• Options

Thanks @Coach Patrick Will do my best.

In looking at 2020, assuming I am racing IMMT (August 23),, thoughts on racing the MT 70.3 (June 21st) instead of Quassy or something else. Thoughts on registering for a 70.3, and MT 70.3 in particular. Thanks.

• Options

I think being able to get up to tremblant would be a bonus for you. The run course may not be the same but having familiarity with the travel as well as logistics on the ground would certainly make for a much smoother experience.

I say that assuming that money is not really an issue as obviously traveling there is a bit more expensive than Lake Placid.

Bonus that you have a few more warm weather weeks to train. 👍

• Options

Follow up question - assuming I have only one opportunity to go to MT before the IM race. Am I better doing the MT 70.3, or should I go for a training weekend/camp? If the later, should I try to get in a different 70.3, and if so, by what date? For 2019, I felt that the IM training was somewhat rushed given the prep for Quassy (I had a hard time transitioning to the IM volume with the 70.3 on the horizon). Just trying to start to map out the year. Hope this makes sense, if not, will set up a call.

Here's my tentative 2020 plan

NYC 1/2 marathon (March 15, 2020)

Mallorca (April 18-25, 2020)

NY Gran Fondo (May 17, 2020)

IM Mont Tremblant (August 23, 2020)

• Options
    edited September 10, 2019 4:32PM

Assuming that you could find a training camp up there, and that would be a much better use of your time. The challenge is very few people consistently have camps up there in here. We can do our best to find one for you. Otherwise the race itself would give you a full overview of the course and would be an 80% solution.

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Given you are already running big time this Fall, your plan as outlined below doesn't really "Start" for you until you are post race and healthy to train again. This will be somewhere in the 14 to 28 day range; I will depend on your self assessment to help you make the best choice.

Once you are ready, you should load the RDP programs to start on 11/11 to point you towards a January OutSeason start! 

Remember you can preview a plan any time in Final Surge by clicking View My Plans (or the Endurance Nation button at the top I believe), so you can get a preview. Please let me know if you have any questions or need some assistance getting things loaded up. I hope your body feels strong and healthy!

Your Races

• Ironman Mont Tremblant (2020-08-23) #IMMT_20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

• Last updated by Coach on September 12, 2019
    • Follow the modified Marine Corps plan through 10/27/2019
    • On 10/28/2019 Load the  -- Post Marathon Plan, All Levels (2wks) To end on 11/10/2019
    • On 11/11/2019 Load the  -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/8/2019
    • On 12/9/2019 Load the    Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/5/2020
    • On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020 (we will work in the half marathon)
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the  -- Swim Camp to end on 4/26/2020 (one week swim, one week Mallorca!)
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 6/7/2020 (includes Gran Fondo)
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 8/23/2020
    • On 8/24/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/20/2020</p>

Your Notes

IM LP 2019 14:42

CT 70.3 2019 6:36 (abbreviated swim)

Upcoming Marine Corp marathon.Actively training for marathon prep using balanced plan as modified by coach p

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach - I ended up punting on Marine Corp. I've been battling plantar fasciitis the last two weeks and really struggled running. I've been trying to do what I can but it has been modified can you let me know what plan I should try to follow.

Thanks

• Options

.You should really just be cycling right now to get some aerobic conditioning why you let the plantar fasciitis heal. What caused it to flare up? That’s dig in a little deeper with that. Do you own a night splint yet, and are you wearing it? I would alternate 30 to 40 minutes easy on the bike with a 30 minute run for at least a week to let it settle down.

• Options

Coach - now that the 2020 IM plans are out, any changes to my training plans? As a reminder, my A race is IM MT, likely CT 70.3 as the half, but currently undecided. Don't know if I am better off doing the MT 70.3 or stick to Quassy (or someplace else) that is convenient. Plan is below.

My feeling was to start the IM plan earlier, but await your wisdom. Thanks.

• On 1/6/2020  Load the    OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/12/2020 (we will work in the half marathon)
    • On 4/13/2020 Load the  -- Swim Camp to end on 4/26/2020 (one week swim, one week Mallorca!)
    • On 4/27/2020 Load the  -- Bike Focus Block, 2019 (6wks) to end on 6/7/2020 (includes Gran Fondo)
    • On 6/1/2020  Load the  -- EN Full Bike Focused  to end on 8/23/2020
    • On 8/24/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 9/20/2020</p>

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman - thanks for checking in! I agree the new plans have that “prep“ block which is just four weeks. I think it may make sense for you to implement that in place of the “bike focus black“ preparing you for the Fondo. This means you and I will have to put our heads together a little bit to make sure that the cycling is adequate for your early season bike event, but I am hopeful that the trip to Mallorca will take care of that!

so the modification is:

• Swim Camp + Mallorca
    • light week to recover and re enter running
    • 5/4 load Full Prep Plan (4 weeks)
    • 6/1 load Full bike focused plan

~ P

• Options

@Coach Patrick - So IM MT is not in the cards in 2020, nor do I think there will be any IM events until they figure this sh*t out in some respects.. I was sticking to the training plan until the lock down. Since then, I have candidly struggled to be motivated to train. I've done my best to WKO, (either zwifting or a 3-4 mile run) in the interim, but it is not the same as training.

Like I am sure many on the team, I need something to train for, both physically and mentally. But do not have excessive amounts of time. At least for now, I find that working at home takes me considerably longer than in the office, even with the commute, between the distractions and lack of admin support. Plus significantly more home responsibility.

I have an entry in the NYC marathon for November 2020. Maybe that happens.

With the above in mind, suggested plan for training for NYC and/or training to stay sane and vain. I am concerned about just running because of fear of injury. Let me know what you suggest for a plan.

Thanks. Appreciate your positive mojo, even though I know this is hard on you as well.

A.

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman Hey, never hesitate to reach out. Helping others who are struggling while I am struggling makes me feel better! So there's that! 😁

I agree that IMMT won't be out there, and really I don't see how any IM before Oct will really work. I think that there is a time to rebound, then stabilize. I have a feeling that IM events are more in the stabilization phase as a lower priority event. But I still keep my fingers crossed.

I think we need a set of plans and goals as well.

• NYC is roughly 29 weeks away.
    • We want to keep your fitness going but not be too serious.
    • We need some milestones.

I say we do the following:

• 4 weeks of Balanced Durability Plan (Phase 2) that alternates bike and run focus. Just something easy to achieve and on the schedule. During this time you Copy our Zwift Route Badge List from the Help Site (https://help.endurancenation.us/zwift-badge-tracker-sheet/) to your own google account and start getting some of the shorter courses (after you reconcile what you have).
    • 6 weeks of the Bike Focused Plan that adds volume to both disciplines and hopefully matches your schedule in terms of being able to get out and do some longer rides. Continue those zwift games!
    • 16 weeks of the Balanced Marathon Plan. Yes, this is what it really takes to prep, and you'll be ready.

So, what do you think? And also, do you believe you'll be disciplined enough in those first 4 weeks to keep it up?

~ Coach P