Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Andrew Lustigman Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    Sheesh - I listened to the "Spring Cleaning" podcast this morning only to hear I'm your least favorite type of trainee - the one who doesn't know when he is going to race (and perhaps not until late summer).    :)
  • Options
    Ha ha ha! Don’t take it personally. I get how life can be up in the air. What I struggle with is that despite the fact some people don’t know what their schedule is they want to be awesome at any given time. From my experience being awesome takes work, but that’s quite possibly because I am distinctly not awesome at all times and really need to work on it. Like apparently my podcasting personality. :D
  • Options
    Gotcha.   Need advice on OS week 14.  I'm traveling out of the country and the testing protocol will not be feasible.   Should I repeat OS week 13 (or some other week) and when do you recommend taking the tests (I'm gone for a week).  Thanks. 
  • Options
    @Andrew Lustigman - Sorry this took so long. Yes, let’s have you repeat week 13 and do a basic run durability focus when you’re on the road: daily rounds of 30 to 45 minutes at TRP.

When you return, give yourself about three days of exercise, one day of rest, and then you can test. Those numbers with and guide you into the body of your year so be sure to test them in environments that you will be training in, i.e. outdoors.
  • Options
    Coach - Great to meet you, Mariah, EB, and the team members at BRC.   It was challenging, but very well organized.  I am glad that I did it.

I appreciate our discussion this morning.   A few follow up matters.  

We agreed that I would train for the following races:

Mussleman 70.3 (July 15)
    AC 70.3 (Sept 24)

NYC Olympic (7/1) will be a "training" race.

Please send me: 
    1. A simplified swim training protocol for 70.3 training.
    2. 70.3 nutrition protocol (no meat, no peanuts)
    3.  As I am considering a fall marathon, let me know any distance mileage distance changes. 
    4.  The recommended modifications to the initial training calendar (your first post above)

Thanks for all, including letting me win at bar shuffleboard. :) 

• Options
    edited May 7, 2018 5:08PM
    @Andrew Lustigman - a great camp indeed, so good to have you there slaying yourself. Consider your cycling limits REDEFINED.  :smirk:

1. Simple Swimming Protocol for 70.3™ -- You need two types of swims. A drill swim and an endurance swim. 

Drill Swim: Warm up 500 with easy swimming and some pull buoy. Then repeat this "cycle" as you can for your allotted swim time.
    • Drill 1: Catch Up Swimming (Video) as 4 x 50 with 10" rest after each. 
    • Swim 200
    • Drill 2: Single Arm Swimming (Video) as 4 x 50 (left arm 25, right arm 25) with 10" rest after each. Note you'll want to leave that "less dominate" hand out in front, it's the easier one to learn). 
    • Swim 200
    Endurance Swim:  Warm up 500 with easy swimming and some pull buoy. Then repeat this "cycle" as you can for your allotted swim time, likely two times. 
      • Pull 200 (10") with smooth strokes.
      • Swim 200, trying to replicate the pull buoy feeling.
      • Pull 100 (10") with smooth strokes.
      • Swim 100 (20") at a little more of a tempo pace, aka harder than race pace. 
      2. A 70.3 nutrition protocol -- everyone is different, but we recommend using what's on the course to train with so you can use that stuff from aid stations. So do your research there. You should plan on drinking 1 bike bottle per hour of Sports Drink and eating 1 gel or 1/2 a powerbar every 45 minutes. So :45, 1:30, 2:15, etc. For hotter days, I would add one salt stick pill per hour on the bike and move the bike bottles to be on a 45-minute schedule vs 60-minute. 

3. Eye towards fall marathon -- as we discussed your half IM training will really help you. Just get weekly run mileage up to 25 miles per week by end of May (add 2-3 miles as needed, incrementally) and sit on that through 8/1. We can reconnect about the fall race you choose and go from there. 

4. No real edits to the calendar -- We already had Musselman and AC 70.3™ on the plan, so we are good. Just make sure you go light this week until the weekend...your body needs some sorting out!

~ Coach P

Ps next year no mercy in bar shuffleboard!
    • Options
      Coach - Thanks for the above.  We are no longer bike twins.   My Giant got crushed on the return trip and the rear axel cracked.  I know you were thinking about getting a replacement as well.  LBS recommended the Trek Émonda SL 6.  Any thoughts?
    • Options
       What a total bummer! Honestly, I would talk to Scott about a new frame. He is a genius at sourcing bikes and bike components. That frame is very comparable in terms of its geometry so it will be pretty close to a one to one change for you in terms of what your original bike felt like. But if you have the chance to upgrade, why not? 

Curious to know if you get a check or if it’s something that has to go to a bike shop?
    • Options
      Coach - 

For the last few weeks, I have been struggling with a achilles tendonitis on my left side. I've gone to doctor who said that I should cut down on the running volume to shorter runs. However, running even a little is slow and very painful.  Note: I have no problem biking or swimming, but running at least now is not realistic.   I start PT tomorrow.  Not sure what to do re: training/racing, and this is all very frustrating.  Appreciate your thoughts on how to proceed at least for the near future.   
    • Options
      @Andrew Lustigman - Thanks for the heads up. Nicola is tendinitis can be a real issue and is something that really only rest can help at the outset. One of my favorite Achilles exercises is eccentric calf raises. Basically you stand on the edge of the step on the balls of both feet,   Take the healthy food off, then slowly lower yourself down on the injured foot all the way to the bottom. But the good foot on, and stand up with both feet. This essentially work both strengthens and LinkedIn is the Achilles.

In addition to some rest I suggest you plan on reviewing your’s running shoes with your physical therapist to see if they notice any strange wear pattern or if they have something crazy like zero drop. We don’t want you running around and race flats. You also need to take a good look at your daily work shoes, as many people make poor choices there which can aggravate the problem. Given your race is not until July, we have about two weeks to Try and get this under control. Let’s plan on you biking four times a week: Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday/Sunday with swims on the Monday Wednesday Friday to compensate.

Take one of those Sundays off as needed. The second bid we can work out could be something like ABP for 60 minutes. Hope that helps!

~Patrick

PS you have to take it easy on Scott, I usually only answer these twice a week and you posted this today! :smile:
    • Options
      Coach -

I am signed up to participate on Saturday in a local "sprint-like" triathlon.  My Achilles is such that I can't run.    Should I do the first two legs (.6 swim, 17 bike) and double the bike to get the experience, or just defer till next year and try to get a long bike in.  I'm inclined to do the race with the double bike.   
    • Options
      Let’s do the double bike, I agree. Sorry to hear about that lingering problem though…
    • Options
      Achilles tendinitis still very much an issue.  Haven’t been able to run.  Making slow progress with PT but don’t realistically see being able to run in the next couple of weeks.  I am signed up for AC 70.3 (which was the race I was shooting for this season).  Deadline to switch to aquabike is 8/7.  Do I go for aquabike or see what happens and/or punt.  I’ve been keeping up with bike and relatively with swim. It’s hard to keep the training intensity however under the circumstances and PT is a time suck. What fo you think I should do?  I’m bummed about all this. 

Oh and @Scott Dinhofer had me sign up for LP IM next year.   Since I know the course from camp and your campers killed it last week I’m cautiously optimistic I can complete it if my Achilles gets better and if you have the camp next year.  😉
    • Options
       I say we go out go bike so we can put this thing to bed and enjoy the race you have in front of you, as in actually race it. Sounds like we might have to block off some time for recovery this fall and to go nuclear on the Achilles. Since you are connected with SCOTT I’m sure you’re exploring all the angles regarding therapy.

Very odd that the Achilles is not responding. There’s a lot of issues to consider changing when this happens like you’re running shoe, your Daily shoes, orthotic inserts, working on your calf muscle and hamstring flexibility including hip mobility which can also be an issue. I’m not sure exactly what you’ve done with the therapist but it’s important to also try and identify the large root causes of this issue. Should they exist.
    • Options
      i know we're not supposed to chime in on other's micro threads.. .but... I wasn't even in the same room as Andy, nor holding a gun to his head, the LP sign up was an act of his own free will.. The Hoff will have no responsibility in this matter.
    • Options

Coach -

I'd appreciate a recommended strength training protocol. There doesn't seem to be anything in the training plans particularly helpful - Just a March 2017 core program and that was supposed to have been updated every month. (but apparently wasn't) and others asking for programs. I see other tri programs selling strength plans - can we get one?

• Options

Andrew - what specifically do you need? Most follow their PT’s plan (rehab +) others will use a class or a book.

i personally like the combo routine from Leigh on this page at the bottom: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Strength+%26+Core+Central

• Options

Thanks I was hoping to be directed to strength training for body parts in addition to the core ones. Also, any idea where the monthly updates are (beyond the one March 2017)?

• Options
      edited September 21, 2018 10:54PM

On a different note, assuming I am competing in IM LP 2019. When should I try to race a 70.3 and do you have a suggested one? I was thinking Quassy.

Thanks

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman if you mean the core workouts for strength I stopped building them when I had to take over 100% of EN. Not as critical as the other business stuff.

I working on some plan options in Final Surge, one including the app SWORKIT - just the Core one (free) which allows you to set a timeframe and pick an area and it gives your exercises on your phone, done. At some level it doesn’t make sense for me to write an entire street planned when there are existing technologies in plans out there at your fingertips.

We usually recommend something in the early June timeframe for Lake Placid. It is my understanding that next year for 70.3 for Lake Placid will be moved before the race itself so you might just opt into that? I do not know if Iron Man is moving Connecticut 70.3 now that they have violent. The only conflict with the Placid half might be that it’s close to camp weekend. Either way, early to mid June is the way to go!

• Options

Congrats on Kona. Great race and exciting to see you cross the finish line. Assuming I am healthy, here's my 2019 goals

May 2019: Gran Fondo NY

June 2019: Quassy 70.3

July 2019: IMPLP

Oct/Nov. 2019: Marathon

Having not done any of these distances, please advise as to training plans to follow. I've been able to resume running last two weeks. Working on run durabilty and increasing volume. Thanks very much.

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman Thank you for the kind words. I will work on this tomorrow, still getting settled. Looks like it’s going to be a great year!

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply. 

Coach Notes

I have set up the plan progression below. I think the Run Durability Program is the best approach, but we need to be really smart about how you build up that run to stay safe. We can modify the RDP plan to do more cycling; right now all the runs should be about frequency. You might even want to "dial down" the weekend run and fill in the extra time with cycling.

There's usually a 6 week "re entry" window before you can feel safer about real running. The greedier you get, the more likely something will go wrong. Please let me know or fill in what you are doing for self care into your workout calendar!

Your Races

• May 5, 2019: Gran Fondo NY
      • June 2, 2019: Quassy 70.3
      • July 28, 2019: IMLP
      • Oct/Nov. 2019: Marathon

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 10/17/2018
      • On 10/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 10/28/2018
      • On 10/29/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/25/2018
      • On 11/26/2018 Load the -- Run Durability for Triathletes 3 (7 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/23/2018
      • On 1/7/2019 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/14/2019
      • On 4/15/2019 Load the EN*Half Bike Fccused to end on 6/2/2019
      • On 5/20/2019 Load the EN*Full Run Fccused to end on 7/28/2019
      • On 7/29/2019 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 8/25/2019
      • On 8/11/2019 Load the -- Marathon [Balanced], 24 Weeks to end on your final race date...

Your Notes

Lost 2018 due to achilles tendonitis. Been doing the best I can 

I've generally been following run durability. Did the best I could in 2018 without being able to run since June 1.

Resumed running 2 weeks ago. 

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options
      edited October 17, 2018 5:25PM

Coach -

Thanks for the update and advice. Clarification on the dates above:

1. I guess I gave the wrong date for Gran Fondo - it is 5/19/19.

Should any dates be modified?

Also, should I consider moving to run focus on those two plans if my ankle is feeling better? I realize these are down the road.

• Options

@Andrew Lustigman - logging notes from our chat here. hopefully @Coach Patrick will chime in with reinforcement.

when we had coffee yesterday you shared that your Achilles no longer hurts you when you run, but hurt you after. Having had various tendinitis injuries over the years, I know you are still hurting yourself and likely will be in a worse place a month down the road. I also know too well how mentally it sucks to lose a season and we don't want you going there again.

my advice… hard stop on run.. 5-6 more weeks. (through end of November)

Become a swim/biker, especially a biker. Coach P had continually espoused to me the importance of having a super strong bike on race day. That when you build the super strong bike, you not only bike faster, but come off prepared for the run better. Moreover, there IS spillover fitness from bike to run that will help you when you start running again. Additionally, your cardio engine is already strong when you start the run. I have personal experience with this from when I herniated my disc 4 years ago. I did a bike focus plan on the trainer that had me biking 6x a week. I reentered with a great base of fitness and my run regenerated quickly, you wil do the same and have plenty of runway to build up your run for IMLP. today we are 40 weeks away from the race.

the only thing you will have to recognize is that you will have to listen to Coach Ps guidance on rebuilding your run differently than the OS plan. If you read my coach thread for the last few weeks, you can see the evolution. I know you have been stalking my Strava as well. notice that I built a base before starting speedwork... I did do one or two speed workouts early on and received advice to hold off until I had more of a base..

Also, get in at least 2x swim wkos per week of 2400-3000 yards

if @Coach Patrick can recommend an EN plan where we can set you up with the wko's on swift easily, or I will help you pick a Zwift plan. So Just ride like you want to do the TDF On the “off days” if an EN plan(OS.etc), do an easier bike or a spin class.

IMPORTANT - continue self care/ PT exercises stretching, etc for your Achilles. 3x per day icing, this is VERY important and should not be ignored.

• Options

Thanks so much for the additional clarity on my current status of the injury @scott dinhofer — The fact that it hurts after the run is actually encouraging. As SCOTT mentioned I would recommend changing things up and looking at a bike only plan for right now. You are getting tantalizingly close to being in a place where you are healthy for the run. But there still a little bit more patients required. I love the idea of doing a Zwiftcast cycling focus using one of their training plans.

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/ftp-builder/

I think that one is the perfect option. Six weeks long, build up your strength but has a B a little different than the typical artisan plan. You can continue this self-care work and get stronger on the bike before we return you to some form of the run.

I think that one is the perfect option. Six weeks long, build up your strength but Is a little different than the typical OS plan. You can continue the self-care work and get stronger on the bike before we return you to some form of the run.

It’s also worth while having you check out your running shoes. Post run pain could be an indicator that you are training shoes are a bit too aggressive in terms of their drop. Heel to toe drop is a measure of the pitch of your shoe. The greater that pitch, the flatter your shoe in the more stressed I was on the back of your ankle. This might sound small but if you wear dress shoes all day with a proper heel it could be that the transition to a fancier run shoe might be part of the issue. Let me know what shoes you wear and the drop.

• Options

Coach - Thank you and @scott dinhofer very much for your feedback. I will try to work in the bike plan, and will check out your recommendation.

As to the running shoe, I have been wearing the Hoka Clifton 4. It does a have a fairly steep drop so let me know if I should look for something else. I wear a standard dress shoe during the week. Based on DR recommendation due to the achiles, I have been wearing a standard Dr. Schoel's heel insert.

I appreciate the feedback.

Andy

• Options

Of course! My research shows me that clifton has a 5 mm drop which is not very steep it off. Traditional shoes for running used to have 10 to 12. I suggest you look for a shoe that has about 8 to 10 mm a drop and just see what you think. If you notice it walking around in the clifton’s, then you should not feel like walking around in those other shoes. It’s worth a shot. Especially if you can return the shoes! 😂