Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Hoff's Holiday Weight loss/Accountability Challenge - 2017

Comments

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer I hear you.  This plan was set  for around 2lbs / week weight loss.  In practice in the past on OS volume I can see 3-5 lbs a week and as high as soon 7-8.  The outer limit is  about as extreme as is want to get.  Not to mention I do want to have some quality bikes the last couple  weeks prior to the OS.

Funny you mention LP,  I was looking at flights yesterday.  Not sure instead will work with my Android race being  July 29th.
  • Options
    So i did this a few years ago and was required to do a fatty fat fat picture.  :-(  That is why i do not care to join this year.  Something i noticed, Triathletes have pretty ugly feet.   I am just pointing this out as an observation.
  • Options
    @ScottDinhofer I'm with you. I now going all in, balls to the wall.
    Go big or go home.
    BTW, I am amazed that I am in heavy OS (last 2 weeks), and my recovery is great and I am hitting all my wkos.

• Options
    @Jonathan Brown - the goal here isn't necessarily the weight loss or setting unreachable goals, it's about accountability & discipline. I had not quite the discipline I wanted from IMLP to IMKY, I am now, I don't i know why i can be disciplined now, but not during the season. 
  • Options
    "I did xxx miles Swim/bike/run, I can have <insert food or drink here>".

When you don't have the volume, you know that the only way to makntain/lose is to eat right.
  • Options
    "I did xxx miles Swim/bike/run, I can have <insert food or drink here>".

When you don't have the volume, you know that the only way to makntain/lose is to eat right.
    I think we all too often say "I did a long SBR, I earned a right to eat this  ___ food, and then not lose weight... here are somethings off a good ST thread i read on this -

• go to sleep hungry, 
    • Eat dinner at 7PM - nothing past your lips besides water after 7
    • make lunch your biggest meal of the day
    • if you are going to drink alcohol, clear spirits only, only mixed with club soda
    • no packaged/ processed foods
    • no bread
    • do NOT eat kids leftovers, it's way more than one French Fry, one chicken nugget, etc.
    • eat 20 grams of protein within an hour of waking up
    • Don't eat calories during workouts of under 2 hours (No sports drinks, gels, bars, etc) can have electrolyte drinks only
    • "what gets measured gets managed"
    • Protein supplements & bars - READ the labels, many have lots of carbs, I use vega sport shakes. The highest ratio of plant protein to carbs/ calories i can find. (150 cals per serving of 30 grams of protein)
    please add your thoughts
  • Options
    So i did this a few years ago and was required to do a fatty fat fat picture.  :-(  That is why i do not care to join this year.  Something i noticed, Triathletes have pretty ugly feet.   I am just pointing this out as an observation.
    @Jonathan Brown Don't let the punishment push you away just pick a reasonable goal.  As for the ugly feet, I think my fatty fat fat picture would be worse. 
  • Options
    here is the most enjoyable and best Effin article on dieting ever written, thank  you @Liz Hickox for posting this on FB.
    http://physiqonomics.com/fat-loss/

let's have a discussion on this!!!
  • Options
    I entered my data @Scott Dinhofer . Sorry about the delay!
  • Options
    @Phillip Hays - I need a weigh in from you? or a photo on the dashboard!!!!
  • Options
    Exactly the same weight 149.8 not coming off liked I'd hoped.
  • Options
    Exactly the same weight 149.8 not coming off liked I'd hoped.
    Added the sheet link to the first post in this Thread for everyone!

let's all start sharing diet tips.. This IS about discipline. I am having a good week thus far, my culprit is weekends & I hope to have a better one this coming one. My True xmas goal is a few lbs under what I wrote, so I am hoping to get there, if I can keep the discipline & momentum going, i will get there. 

Interesting change I have made.. The last two days, I did not have a protein shake for lunch, in fact one day I had a chicken cutlet sub sandwich (not joking) for lunch. But all i ate for dinner was a cliff bar before a workout (Zwift 1 hr ride on Tuesday & a 2 mile treddy run followed by weight training last night) Both times I was like "don't do it, it's CARBS....) but the scale don't lie... 155 this am down from a weigh in on Tuesday AM of 157.8  :o

That said, staying away from food today, had a protein shake this AM, doing one for lunch, having a mid afternoon run as it will be warmish here (low 50s) and have a dinner planned with a buddy tonight. Meal plan for dinner is a restaurant I have gone to often, they have a great big salad with salmon on it, and allowing myself one beer. Goal for the week is to try and get another lb or 2 by Monday/Tuesday weigh-in. If I have sushi/sashimi on Sunday night, i won't weigh until Tuesday. 
  • Options
    Got it, will populate in future weeks
  • Options
    @Scott Dinhofer - for me, calorie counting and a food diary are THE way to loose weight, mapmyfitness app is really good, bit of a pain for about the first week or so until it stores all your regular food but after that it helps me to not reach for bad food as I know I'll have to log it. 
    I am the same with the weekends, that is the time I will normally go for food I shouldn't, this is why doing this and being accountable is so good, last Sunday I thought, erm chocolate ... no .. got a weigh in tomorrow. Im not so worried about what I eat, I eat pretty healthy anyway, its the occasional blow outs that really stack up at this time of year, and again, doing this really helps to stop them, just gotta keep the calorie's in lower than calories out.
    I feel a good weekend coming on, we got this :smiley:
  • Options
    Sorry... app should have been MyFitnessPal.... doh
  • Options
    Monday/tuesday were great.  I'm off the rails the last two days from a plan so back at it for the remainder of the week. 
  • Options
    I'm lurking here ... I actually need a weight *gain* thread. But injecting my thoughts on diet, primarily centered on weight loss during a time of low volume/high intensity workouts, aka The OS. IMO, in order to gain maximum benefit from the OS, its necessary to always have full glycogen stores before the start of each workout. That means replacing the calories you burned during a workout, in a 4:1 carb/protein ratio, within about 90 minutes following the end of the workout. Then, if you want to work on a calorie deficit otherwise, like minimizing evening meals, cutting out refined sugars, whatever, go for it. But neglect to replace those glycogen stores, and you'll crash into a brick wall 4-8 weeks into the OS.

The replacement calories right after a workout will go towards replenishing your mandatory glycogen storage (max about 150 grams in liver and muscles), not into your excess fat stores. 
  • Options
    @Al Truscott - big reason why this diet is before the OS for most of us, plus I will get to re-carb when i visit you during OS week 3!
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2017 4:57PM
    Posting a day early as I am catching a 5:00 am to New Yawk tomorrow morning and will probably forget to weigh.

Down 1.3 for the week.

@Scott Dinhofer - Looks like a calculation error in the spreadsheet under my name.  And looking forward to lunch on Tuesday.
  • Options
    down 1.0 to 160.
  • Options
    down 0.9 kg (2)  to 71.4 kg (157.4) 
  • Options
    147.2 finally started to move.  I logged this time  :) 
  • Options
    119.3, well done so far everyone  :) 
  • Options
    Good stuff going on in here... posting my # tomorrow before lunching with @JohnStark aka Mr Starkles
  • Options
    Down to 237 or 1.5 this week.
  • Options
    Just barely snuck in with a slight bump of 2 lbs from last week. That being said, I'm still below my target weight and blame the gain on stupid eating. 
    1) pork rinds as a delivery vehicle for nachos (chased with beer) negate the savings of a salad
    2) 3 pizza slices for dinner = just as bed

Smoothie, Brussel sprouts and salad for tonight. 

• Options
    shucks!!! I owe you a shame photo this week...scale moved the wrong way!!!
  • Options
    Holy cow...EXACTLY on target.    Now if I could only do these on the day i'm supposed to.   

• Options
    Ok, Weight before morning workout = 139.1  Weight after 80min sweaty trainer session = 136.7....so I'm changing the spreadsheet to the latter since it was obviously water weight :-) 

• Options
    @M.S.Ironman get rid of the socks. There's low hanging fruit for a start.  Just sayin....