Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Hoff's Holiday Weight loss/Accountability Challenge - 2017

Comments

• Options
    @Larry Peters - bueler.... bueler??? BUELER????!!!
  • Options
    Just tripped across this picture today, this is from when I lost one of the weekly weigh in's on a @John Withrow weight loss challenge circa summer 2015 - #dontbethisguy #dontbetagainstwithrow

• Options
    Ha! I really appreciate your persistence @Scott Dinhofer ! I am weighing in every morning, and this Monday's was a good reading (probably because I stayed up a bit late working & not eating & then slept in)! :)

My data is entered. 

Regardless, knowing that I have to report to this group is definitely helping me to stay focused on watching portion sizes :). Thanks Scott!

Is it explained anywhere why the "goal weight" column in the google sheet gets lighter when we lose weight? Am I interpreting that correctly? Is that to help motivate us to keep making progress even if we hit our goal early?

Regarding your first post and the question about the "back tracking" function (just in case you haven't found this and no one has told you): google docs have a "revision history," option. That will allow you to see who made each edit and when they did. Then you can backtrack to a version prior to any of those edits.  So you shouldn't have to take and store screen shots.
  • Options
    @Larry Peters - i have no idea! I copied an excel sheet and pasted it in to google last year. whatever you may be noticing, I haven't seen, but will look for. For me, I know when I break under 155 which I am doing now, i actually feel better. As I approach my goal (150) which i hope to get under by xmas, I look great (better than the pic ^^up there!^^ which is probably about my current weight, 2 years ago). Glad to hear this is motivating you. 

I hope everyone is as motivated as Larry - today, Thanksgiving, is a tough day... Larry says it best in his post above, "portion control." Have a good taste of everything, be careful on the pre-meal noshes, and by G-d have a damn nice piece of pie, we all earned it. Then wake up tomorrow and diet perfectly (whatever that means to you) between tonight & Monday's weigh in!

I had the good fortune of seeing EN local & weight loss winner so far, @steve boer for dinner on Tuesday, he's looking as trim as I've ever seen him (we both had salads & I had lentil soup)

wishing everyone a happy (and weight controlled) Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    One of the benefits of being Canadian is I've already been through Thanksgiving.  So any deviations beyond a grand meal that is typically prepared once for each family, mine and the in-laws it my doing alone.  Well eating too much at those meals is also my own doing but there's always so much to choose from.    Happy Thanksgiving

Things are more on track this week for me but still straying from the tight calorie restriction.  At least my additional food tonight was 2 oz chicken and 1 cup broccoli.  I can live with that kind of deviation this week but looking to step it up even more. 

• Options
    Down 0.9 kg (2)  to 70.5 kg (155.4). Man, just being accountable is really having a positive effect on my diet & eating habits, I am really surprised by the results every week. Keep up the good work everyone :smiley:
  • Options
    Not a great week for me with thanksgiving, good thing I was ahead of schedule!!
    now .1 OVER target.. I am also weighing in on Monday whereas I usually do Tuesday.. so, I've got to crank up the weight loss machine this coming week!

• Options
    Not a good long weekend for me.  I will weigh in tomorrow - I feel like a boxer trying to make weight.
  • Options
    Entered in spreadsheet at 149 up a bit since last week but waist measurement stayed at 30" all good water weight from thanksgiving throw down, it will come off in a few days.  
  • Options
    I am up from last Monday, but actually every other day since then has been just about the same body fat & weight. So I've been pretty consistent. But I still need to cut ~1.6 pounds to get down to my declared goal. Ugh. I guess being consistent isn't so bad in the context of Thanksgiving. I definitely ate WAY too much on Thursday, but it was enjoyable and delicious.

Now I need to drink more herbal tea and eat less!

I felt like a wrestler/boxer too. I even tried running after my initial weigh in, but i also had a glass of water, and the weight was the exact same. Work to do!
  • Options
    Well still going in the right direction but I seem to be falling off.  Down to 235.5 or 1.5lbs for the week, but 0.1 in to the red.  This week is a bit of a wash as I am helping my brother clean out my mom's house which has 30 years of stuff packed in to it.  At least possession for the new owners is on Friday so we have to be done before the weekend.
  • Options
    working on this DOES suck... Last night i had dinner in Manhattan with Mike Roberts. When he comes to NY, he wants a Reuben. I figured, I can get one anytime here, so I got the cobb salad!! I only had one beer to his 2. The real challenge was that on my way to meet someone for a business coffee at 8PM, you wouldn't believe how many cupcake shops you have to dodge on a 10 block walk in midtown manhattan!  :o
  • Options
    Not sure how I did it but 177.2.  
  • Options
    Almost the wrong angle...but down a tick....pretty happy for Thanksgiving week

• Options
    @"M.S.Ironman" can't see it, but will take your word on it!
    @Larry Peters - i think you owe us all a fatty fat guy picture like the sample above on this page posted in the news feed!   :o:D
  • Options
    Disastrous work dinner tonight - more than a few carbohydrates consumed. Fortunately I've only got a half day of work, so I will do 8 miles in the AM to give me 125 for the month. 
  • Options
    Crap! Thanks for calling me out @Scott Dinhofer . I guess that is because of this rule: "If in any week you are more than 2lbs ABOVE ANY intermediate ..." ? I'll get that pic taken & posted by Sunday. Good news, I was back down to 183.6 this morning, but we'll see if I can get that to stick.
  • Options
    @Larry Peters - get to stick, or you will have more punishments coming, and yes, you are correct on the reasoning!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2017 1:35AM
    My Monday 11/27 weigh in was 2.4 pounds heavier than my Monday 11/20 reading. So here is my punishment: I am a fatty fat guy. :'(  I tried holding the sign, but it was backward & harder to read. So I took another....I tried to bulge my gut out in the one pic, since I thought that was kinda the idea.  :D
  • Options
    Hee Hee Hee! Well Done @Larry Peters  :D

I weighed in at 119.7lbs this morning.  I am still maintaining which is good, although I found this week hard.  Especially this weekend; I really wanted to pig out on bad stuff like chocolate and pies.  But I managed to resist and restrained myself to eating big meals and yoghurt as snacks.  Anyway,  this week will be better....normal sized meals and no snacks...we all need to be strong; the end date is within reach so "Lets Do This" people! :wink:
  • Options
    157.6 Oooops
    Up some this week.
    Fortunately I am ahead of schedule, and don't need to post a pick.
    I need to get back on the reservation, and quick!
  • Options
    Down to 234 but still in the red by 0.6.  Not a great week for me given the limited training and several moving/cleaning days to help out my brother.  I did not prepare food so food choice were not that great but I did limit the consumption level.  That and a couple 12-14 hour days helped burn some calories.
  • Options
    Hit weight again this week. I've had some ups and downs, but have managed to keep things moving in the right direction. This week should continue to trend down, and I probably would have been ever lower today if it wasn't for the beers over the weekend. 
    My weekly averages have been
    Wk1 201.5
    Wk2 198.1
    Wk3 198.8
    Wk4 196.9
    Wk5 195.8
    My present goal in loseit is 190 lbs by february 3rd, which i'm currently on track to hit on January 14. Once I hit my 190 lb goal, the new goal will be 180. I've never been able to get and STAY that low, but may as well try. My lowest monthly average weight was 189, and that was in july '14, the month before IMMT. Just having to hold myself accountable to something/someone is a big deal for me. Keep up the good work folks, every pound we lose now will make the races next year that much faster. Just like @Scott Dinhofer mentioned earlier - its easier to cut weight now than it is during the OS.
  • Options
    Sorry for the radio silence.  Just blew past my goal weight by 2.8 pounds.  Down 7.2 pounds so far.  Sorry for the image size.  My weigh in this morning:

• Options
    edited December 6, 2017 3:22PM
    @Larry Peters - technically you owe me another pic, but I can't stand to look at the ribs! wtf? THAT is not a fat guy pic!!
    @Sanaa Cody @Phillip Hays @M.S.Ironman - still need to enter your weights on the chart

I hit a bad week, and last night was no help. I had dinner after the ironman premiere in NY with Mike Reilly, Bob Babbitt, 2 of the people featured in the broadcast, Sian Welch & Mike Levine (look up Sian, she's almost as famous as Julie Moss) and a guy who did the very first ironman... those people can drink!

• Options
    edited December 6, 2017 3:54PM
    @Larry Peters - some good observations.  We are all built a little differently of course.  Not a one size fits all.  I tend to be tall, thin, smaller bones.  During the OS I typically sit at 8-10 % body fat and drop to ~5% by IM race day.

Improved body comp is part of the equation to getting faster for sure. 

SS

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer If I recall you have the most aggressive percentage weight loss in the challenge.  This is no time to soften up and hit a bad week.  I'll give you a day or two but not a whole week. 

As I'm preaching above I'll have to take some of my own medicine as I went out for supper and am having a 2nd beer in front of my computer as I write this.  I'm not to worried as this week's been pretty good so far but I will have to be reasonably disciplined for the remainder of the week. 
  • Options
    @Gordon Cherwoniak - thanks for the reinforcement, I am in hardcore mode until the next weigh in, ZERO carbs.. tomorrow is a big test as I will be in the car for almost 8 hrs and will be seduced by coffee stops in Vermont where there will be tons of goodies.. 

@Shaughn Simmons  - great getting your knowledge on this, I see you as "always lean!"

• Options
    @Scott Dinhofer- Cool pic of Babbit/Reilly .  I had the opportunity to meet and chat with Babbit at the finishline UMWC a couple weeks ago.