Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Eric DePoto Official Coach Thread

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually M/W/F each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Your Notes

I took this year off to take care of some life admin and some injuries. Now I am back and ready to crush it. 

Your Races

• Ironman Wisconsin 2017 (2018-09-09) #IMWI_18 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one).  You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page. 

• Last updated by Coach on 12/04/2017   
  • On 12/4/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/31/2017
  • On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018
  • >> Transition Early << 
  • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
  • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
  • On 4/30/2018 Load the Advanced Bike Focus Block, 6 Weeks to end on 6/10/2018
  • On 6/4/2018 Load the Advanced EN*Full to end on 9/9/2018
  • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/7/2018
  • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018
  • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018

Coach Notes

Eric, great to have you back. Let's start with this timeline ^above^ to help you structure how we are going to focus on your year. It's not necessarily "one race" centric...you can certainly add more, such as a 70.3 or two as you go. As you know I am much excited about the bike blocks for volume as well as run consistency.

Please check this out and get me your Strava profile URL so I can see what your baseline is!

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

Comments

• Options
    Hey Patrick, hope your weekend was a good one.  For me I rested a little more than I wanted mainly because the last half of the week was a long and busy. 
    One of the things I wanted to throw at you was that I am looking at KQ if its possible.  When I did IM Choo, I knocked off 75' off of my best time and I felt that I had a good race execution, but the run was still slow.  I am hoping to go from a 9:55 pace on the run to a 8:30ish pace and put in a 5 1/2 hr bike if not better.  Swim should stay the same with a 1:40ish/100.  I don't know your thoughts but you know I want to know. 
    As for the schedule, you know I have that crazy shift work thing so we have to reconfigure some of the training due to that.  Below is my strava URL.  I am not a premium member, so if you need access to my garmin info for power and what not let me know. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/999424

• Options
    edited December 13, 2017 11:35PM
    @Eric DePoto  thanks man. The best way to tell if you are in the ZIP Code of Kona is to head over to this great website: www.theobsessedtriathlete.com (there is also an app).  From there you can look up the results at any age Group in any race for any year. You can then go see what the top 10 times are, on average, for the race that you’re targeting.

For example, does the goal time you’re suggesting map what the top 10 times were for last year‘s race?

The hardest part I have a the equation is the assumption that future improvements will be similar to past improvements… There is no such guarantee. 

Can you make improvements? Absolutely. Will that be enough? Very hard to say. Why don’t you go ahead and take a look at some of those times for your target race and then come back to me with a comparison of where you stand, by discipline, against the median time… Call it fifth place. Let’s start there
  • Options
    Ok, so I went to the page and looked up Wisconsin (since that is the one I signed up for).  For that race, the OAAG top 10 were from 9:19 to 9:50 with a median of 9:34.  In my AG (45-49) top 10 were 9:53-10:40 with a median of 10:11.  Looking at the swim, I was swimming earlier this year and consistently swimming a 1:35.  Bike wise I haven't improved too much, for some reason I have been hanging around 230-245w.  This is truly frustrating.  The run I have been working on and am becoming very pleased.  I have hoping to pull a 3:40-3:50 marathon.  This puts me in the ball park of 10:30-10:45. 

Did you look at my stats?  Is that enough info or do you need more?  I am trying to really get going on the right foot here and want to make sure you like what you see.
  • Options
    @Eric DePoto - I did look at the numbers. It’s not so much a “this year” thing as it is a “this goal” thin and we are constantly working towards it. 

In your case case this means a Bike Focused OS with mandatory m/F (or 2x a week) swims. 

If if you aren’t already, get on Zwift so you can race and murdalize yourself into better fitness. 

So keep up the consistent running right now,
    get your set up dialed in esp WRT Zwift and we’ll see you on 1/8 for the BFJOS!!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Patrick hope Christmas was good and the new year is looking great.  I did take some time off this past week and spent some time with family and friends.  I am looking forward to getting back into it.  My running and cycling have been doing well and started swimming this week. 
  • Options
    So I got a pretty bad grape that I am letting heal (if you know what I mean).  I am going to push the finish date on RD2 back a week.  Is that ok with you?

• Options
    @Eric DePoto - that's 100% fine. You can also use that time to celebrate "Best Analogy of 2018" award i just gave you. :lol:  Let me know when you are back on track!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Morning Coach, hope your weekend is going well.  I uploaded the OS bike focused but not sure which level you want me to go after.  Also, I haven't gotten on Zwift yet (my computer is too old) but I am using Perf Pro and doing sufferfests.  I would like to get your input on some things when you get the chance.
  • Options
     Sorry for the confusion, I want you doing level two please. I think that is sufficient.

You are welcome to schedule a call with me so we can cover your stuff:  https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min 

Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Coach, so here is the work schedule (keep in mind that work days are 24hrs that start at 730):

Day1: work   Day2: off  Day3: work   Day4: off  Day5: off Day6: work  Day7: off  Day8: work  Day10-12: off. 
    Then repeat

Lately I have been running some in the morning on work days or doing strength training. Also I can possibly swim in the mornings before work.  Here is what I have been doing to keep up with the OS schedule:

Day1: Work (run 30-40' or strength training or both)
    Day2: Brick 1: bike 45-60'/run 30'
    Day3: work
    Day4: big bike 60-90'/ swim
    Day5: big run 45-80'
    Day6: work (recovery run 20-30')
    Day7: Brick 2: bike 45-60'/run 30' (same as brick 1)
    Day8: work
    Day9: swim/ bike 60'
    Day10: bike 90-120'
    Day11: run 45-80'
    Day12: swim

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Just to let you know I did the run test.  No change (big wise), I was slower by 2" on the avg pace.  Let me know if you want more info.
  • Options
    @Eric DePoto - Great call yesterday, and thanks for the information re your schedule as well as the test. I don't expect to see too much of a change yet with the ups / downs of your training cycle...it takes a while for the RDP to hit the High End Speed, and consistency is the key to that. 

The OutSeason® thoughts for you...

Macro:
    • No real swimming yet. Let's save that for post April and your Big Adventure. 
    • Goal is run consistency - 5 runs a week (even 2 miles counts!) for the first 5 weeks / phase 1 of the OS, mostly done at TRP. Then 6 runs a week for the remainder.
    • We are looking to move those Bike Numbers up, and that's reflected in my layout below. We are looking to get your bike up to the 250s this OS...so those Tues/Thurs workouts are critical!
    Micro:
    • 5 weeks of the OS is 35 days, which is 3 x 12 days of your work...not too bad.
    • You didn't tell me what Day 9 was for your schedule, so I am guessing it's work?
    Proposed Schedule:
    • Day1: Work -- Day OFF, Chill
    • Day2: Off    -- Tuesday FTP Brick of Bike 60' + Run 30'
    • Day3: Work -- Short TRP run of 2-3 miles, light strength if you have time.
    • Day4: Off    -- Saturday Long Ride 90' to 120' + Run 15' 
    • Day5: Off    -- Sunday Run 60' - 90'
    • Day6: Work -- Day OFF, Chill
    • Day7: Off    -- Thursday VO2 Brick of Bike 60' + Run 30'
    • Day8: Work -- Short TRP run of 2-3 miles, light strength if you have time.
    • Day9: ????  -- Wednesday Steady run of 60' to 80'
    • Day10: Off  -- Saturday Long Ride 120' to 150' (NO RUN)
    • Day11: Off  -- Short TRP run of 2-3 miles, light strength if you have time.
    • Day12: Off  -- Sunday Run 60' - 90'

Run Targets
    Target pace is 8:40 to 8:30 by mid year at a steady HR. Don't force it...just do your runs and this will drop. Especially if you can dial in body comp (assuming you have 5 lbs to lose). 

Bike Target:
    Long term goal is 275 FTP.  This is simple in concept, hard in practice. Don't worry about quality of your PM, we only care about it's consistency. 

FTP Days you should be riding between 235 and 245 (just a tad higher than current fitness). In this case, feel free to extend the rest intervals by 2 or 3 minutes if needed. Let me know how you are doing after week 5 of the OS and test week in case I want to adjust. 

Don't underestimate long steady riding. If you're tired for the Saturday ride, i'll still take a 2 to 3 hour day between 160 and 180watts with a few surges in there. That's a great day. 

Swim Training
    Not worried about your swim. Especially with your breathing issue. Let's shut it down and let your body heal up. When we do get back to it, we can work on bilateral breathing using a pull buoy.   

Homework:

I can't check it all the time, but please open your Strava Training log to me using these instructions: http://members.endurancenation.us/Resources/Wiki/tabid/91/Default.aspx?topic=Strava+Central

Onwards!

~ Coach P

• Options
    Wow CP this is some great stuff here!  I have to admit, this is looking better than before.  Thanks for your attention to me and all of the info.  Yes, ONWARDS!!!!!
  • Options
    Also, you will notice that the wattage on the strava is lower than the wattage I put up.  For some reason, (which I am working on) there is a scew.  So my FTP is off by roughly 30%.  FYI
  • Options
    Hey CP, I know it doesn't show but I swam a bunch for work today and that was the reason that I didn't run as long.  I was super whipped.  I did get 3mi in and was gassed after that. 
  • Options
    @Eric DePoto - No worries...you are already well above your "recent" norm, so I see adaptations and fitness in your future!!!! Have a great weekend!!!

• Options
    Ok so I sort of gaffed on this one.  LOL I DID do a run off the bike on day 10 which lead to a bad yesterday and I only could ride as a recovery.  Today I feel better and should kick a good run.  Next week I will be traveling and teaching.  Good thing is I'll be in FLA and should be able to get some runs in.  Bad thing, I will be limited with the bike (or lack thereof).  NBD, I will bike this Sat, and Mon. so I will have some miles on the bike but I leave Wed. and don't get back till the following Tues.  So, runs will happen for sure, and then back on it when I return. 
  • Options
    That’s all right, it’s a great time to learn a lesson without significant consequences.

I think your plan of adjusting the bikes is fine. When you are in Florida, start by planning the key runs first so that they are at least a day apart: your interval run, yourlonger run, etc. Then on the other days you can put in a short run just for consistency. Something between 30 and 45 minutes easy, I said easy, with some strides at the end.

When you get back,That week should be more of a bike focused week aiming for four total bikes. I Deleigh Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday. If your Tuesday is shot then let’s go Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday. I bet you are already looking forward to it!

If we don’t talk, have a great trip!
  • Options
    So reading over your info.  Here is something I want to throw at you.  Today I will do normal Saturday long bike protocol.  Tomorrow can I do a ride (say 45-60').  Then Wed. and Thurs. I can run.  Friday and Sat. I will be on my feet all day teaching in a junkyard doing manual labor.  Sun and Mon I can run again then on Tues. ride when I get back from FLA.  From there, I should be back to normal protocol with the days starting with Wed. being "Day 1."
  • Options
    Also, whats the "Sweet spot" in training?
  • Options
    That adjustment is totally fine. One day you’re gonna have to explain to me once again what you do so I know exactly why it’s so hard all the time!

The sweet spot is designed to be a put an effort that’s just hard enough without being so hard that it’s taxing. Depending on your event duration it’s just above zone three for the half distance, or just below zone three for the iron distance. 
  • Options
    Well I am a fireman at a busy house.  With that, I can and do work for people (work swaps) so I can have off for things like work and triathlon.  On top of that, I work a part time job as an instructor which I travel all over the nation teaching.  I am usually out of the area 4-6 times a year.  When I do that, it can be very labor intensive.  As this week, I am teaching heavy extrication with big trucks and cement culverts.

I appreciate the info on the sweet spot.  BTW my legs are tired, so I may take today off. 
  • Options
    Got it! That makes a lot of sense now.

Your work schedule definitely dictate the energy you have to apply to training. This early in the year you can certainly take a day off. As the season progresses, we will need to find an alternate work out for when the legs are tired but you have time to train. For Example, swimming, cords or upper body work.
  • Options
    I hear ya.  I have to say that my training sort of fell off the wagon while in FLA.  The 12hr training days on my feet left me whipped.  I was able to get a couple of runs in and I am back at it.  I have some good volume this weekend on the bike that I am going for so this should make up some of the down time.  My goal after the wedding is to really be solidly focused on only training for WI.  I am cranking some good numbers now but hope it gets better after the wedding.  Also, I am hoping to be down to 170ish by mid April and come race day 165.  This would be the lightest I have been for a race so I am hoping this can help. 
  • Options
     Well, if you are exhausted from a hard days work, how different is that from a really good days training? I know it’s not sport specific , but you have stressed your system and there will be adaptation. On days like that I’ll take a short one to 2 mile run, and that’s it.

On those new weeks back, you should absolutely prioritize the bike. You already spend so much time on your feet that your durability is very high.  The biggest problem with your work is that it keeps you away from the bike! Maybe you need to start a cycling rapid response fire team? :-)

One of the reasons why I like the body composition focus is that you can’t be “on it“ even if you are in training. And when you do get back, you will still read the benefits. 
  • Options
    I see what you are saying with the adaptation.  I felt good this weekend and kicked out some good miles and watts.  I took my prescribed day off so I am really feeling excited to get it going tomorrow.  I will have the FTP brick w/ a 30' run. 

Here are the rides I did this weekend:
    Saturday:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2532569584
    Sunday:
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2535066269

The wind was wicked 30 mph constant w/ 40 mph gusts.  So I just kept telling myself I was in Kona lol.  I am anxious to get your input.  Thanks again for all you do for me, I really appreciate it.

• Options
    Yeah, I meant I have the VO2 brick and will CRUSH IT!
  • Options
    Question: on my 4 days off you have me at:
    • Day9: ????  -- Wednesday Steady run of 60' to 80'
    • Day10: Off  -- Saturday Long Ride 120' to 150' (NO RUN)
    • Day11: Off  -- Short TRP run of 2-3 miles, light strength if you have time.
    • Day12: Off  -- Sunday Run 60' - 90

Can I ask to change that to a run, bike bike run?  I am only asking so I can get another bike in and since I have the start of my train'g cycle restarting with a day off.   I was thinking I can use the bike instead of a light run.

• Options
     Yes, you can double that bike on back to back days, or do a short high-intensity workout similar to your threshold training. Sorry, I am still adapting to how you make the magic happen. And again, the only want to push hard on the days where the stars align. Otherwise it’s another steady day just so we can keep things rolling!

Hey those two workouts were great by the way… They go into the memory banks 
  • Options
    Great! No need to apologize, I am doing the same.  I had a great long run yesterday so I will not be "Crushing" the ride today, just riding (so I can get another ride in tomorrow).  Thanks again.