Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Eric DePoto Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ok so the volume for this week on the bike was week!  BUT, I have off starting Tuesday and will have off till the 29th.  This is huge and I want to make it count.  Yes I have some things to do for the wedding and the house.  However, I want to make some magic happen, so what can we do?
  • Options
    Or weak, LOL
  • Options
     I’m not sure how much time you have on a daily basis given the other things that you need to get done, but here’s a suggestion for you.

Set up a three day routine program which you can just repeat as you see fit.

Day 1: bike FTP or ABP for 60-90’, brick run of 15-30’. 

Day 2:  Long steady bike from 2 to 3 1/2 hours, most zone to work. You can do sometimes standing as well to break things up. This is about Pacing and Nutrition. 

Day 3: 45’ run + strides, optional 30’ Swim drilll session To get loose again for the remaining cycles of this program.

If you need to, you can always working a day off as day number four. Let me know what you think!

• Options
    Great!  Yes I can do this starting today (Tuesday) and will get crazy.  I have been feeling good and looking forward to this time.  Also I will be doing similar stuff after the wedding during the honeymoon if you like.  After that, lets look at dialing it up and getting ready. 

• Options
    Perfect! It might be a good idea for you to plan a call with me at that time in a future. Under training plan you can find a link to book a car with me, please do that! I look forward to your updates here
  • Options
    Ok I need to apologize to you up front.  I totally screwed up the last few days.  With the wedding stuff...hell, I have no excuse.  I did work, just not to the plan.  I wasted your time and I apologize.  That being said, I am going to swim today, then back on the the plan tomorrow. 

Yes we do need to talk, I am sure we got to get up to date on things.
  • Options
    No worries... to be really hard to keep usual and when your life is so fluid. I strongly encourage you, if you don’t already do this, to really lock down those early hours of the day is a loan to get stuff done whenever possible.

It’s clear to me that the way things are rolling for you right now that a lot of things in my schedule not in your control and we need to be smart with that. 
  • Options
    Ok sounds good.  I will say after the wedding and all, my schedule will be a little more free and my soon to be wife gets what is going on.  She races as well so she gets it. 
  • Options
    Also, I made a call appt. for Apr. 3 at 1300hrs.  Looking forward to it.  Is there anything you will want me to have for you?
  • Options
    It will be good to know where your body composition is at that point in time as well as what, if any, changes they will be in your work schedule over the short term as we move forward from that call. I will be using your Strava information for a great deal of input before I make any decisions. So maybe you can sneak off and get some good workouts in before the call.   :p
  • Options
    For sure.  I will also become a premium member on Strava to help out.
  • Options
    04/03/2018 Call Notes...

Targets:
    • Running... 25 miles a week of consistent running. By May this would look like 5 x 5 miles.
    • Cycling... 100 miles a week in April, 125 for "down" weeks in May, with "bigger weeks being closer to 175 or even 200 miles. We can make this happen by making sure there are two bigger rides in May.  

Races...
    • 4/28 = mountain ride and 5/5 is sprint tri.
    • 5/20 to 5/25 eric in TX for work training, so run focused that week.
    • June 4 = quassy...so swim starts up2x a week in May until race day. 
    • July 8 = rev3 Williamsburg (to go fast)

Updated Season Plan....
    • Last updated by Coach on 04/04/2018
    • On 12/4/2017 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/31/2017
    • On 1/1/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/28/2018
    • >> Transition Early << 
    • On 1/8/2018 Load the Intermediate OutSeason (Run Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/15/2018
    • On 4/16/2018 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 4/29/2018
    • On 4/30/2018 Load the 2018 EN*Half Plan to end on 6/4/2018 (Do the L2 workouts)
    • Week of 6/5 is a chill / transition week.
    • On 6/12 re-load EN Half plan to end on 7/8 and do the L3 workouts. 
    • On 7/09/2018 load the Post Half Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 7/22/2018
    • On 7/15/2018 Advanced EN*Full to end on 9/9/2018 and do the L2 workouts. 
    • On 9/10/2018 Load the -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 10/7/2018
    • On 10/8/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 11/4/2018
    • On 11/5/2018 Load the -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/2/2018

• Options
    Hey CP, just got back from my honeymoon and it was great.  Got some rest (it was snowing in the mountains) and then got some great riding in on the second half.  I am not sure if you have the routes for BRC picked out but I would love to talk to you about it.  Anyway, got back into it over the last few days and will be doing the swim camp this week.  Looking forward to swimming and doing another weekend in the mountains this weekend.  Talk soon.  BTW, I loved the pics from Majorca.  Yes an EPIC camp to say the least.   
  • Options
    Congratulations man!!!! I hope those wedding pictures were epic. :smile: 

We sent out some routes in our planning document the other day, but days 3 and 4 are always flexible!!!  :wink: 

~ Coach Patrick
  • Options
    HEYOOOO!  I have to say that my cycling has come along.  I just did the looking glass ride in Brevard and did GREAT!  I really feel like I  am almost where I was at the end of Aug. 2015 just before Choo.  So having said that we need to look at where to put my swimming in on my "Unique" schedule.  I am switching over to the half plan and doing L2.  My body seems to be doing good with the volume, freq. and pace.  Body comp wise I am as lite as I was in 2015 and we are a ways out.  So I feel confident that we should be super lite for the race in Sept.  

Now my pool is open so swimming will be even more accessible for me (even before I go to work on work days).  I race this weekend but will still put in some miles on the bike.  Your thoughts, advise, or hands slapping me to relax!  LOL
  • Options
    Oh BTW we have to talk.  Yet another wrench in the works.  I have to go to London in late Aug. for work.  We'll just have to figure it out.
  • Options
    Ok, so I switched over to the half plan, Q1: do I do the bike or run focused?  Q2: it seems to be the "Camp week."  Being that I don't have off a lot this week (only Mon, Wed, Thurs and Sat. race), can I do it next week as I have off Mon-Thurs?  Q3: are you tired of me asking questions and putting so many boxes in the forum?
  • Options
    @Eric DePoto -  working in reverse order, I am in no way tired of you asking questions here. Fire away and keep the piling up. This is a great opportunity for me to kind of see everything in aggregate and I certainly don’t want to lose that!

We can certainly deal with August when he gets here, will just need to see where your fitness is that by the time that happens.

As for your swimming, it’s not something I’m super worried about. There is swimming for Fitness and swimming for Comfort in the water. I know that you are a comfort in the water will be great, and the fitness is not required to you to have a great day. If we can get to sims in a week I will be happy. And remember these don’t even need to be super high-quality swings. Just getting you in the water tomorrow can you stroke will be a great step.

Above all else, remember to keep that one frequency going. That will be the engine that drives you your fitness across the entire season regardless of how your schedule evolves. 
  • Options
    Okay so I raced today and took 2nd in my AG!  So jacked for that.  I would have taken 1st but in the last quarter mile the guy had a bigger engine than me and edged me out.  However, the numbers to take away are big.  My avg pwr was 242 with NP being 254 and a max avg pwr (over 20') was 255.  So I am thinking that we are moving the pwr dial up for sure. 

Q: Am I doing bike focused or run focused (I just want to make sure)?
    Q: Is the max avg pwr my new FTP?
    Q: If I am doing bike focused, can I assume you want me to do the RR week this week?

Sorry I couldn't come out the the camp, I would have loved to.  But I didn't pay and I have to work most of the weekend.  I also wanted to get a race under me to see where I am at.  Are you going to be in Quassy?  It would be great to catch up if you are.
  • Options
    @Eric DePoto - Sweet! I’m really excited for you; that training consistency is really working.

I would like you in the bike focus plan as you did a run focused out season.

I would take a look at your normalized power for the ride or at least for your best 20 minutes and use that number as your FTP. The max average power can be a little too variable although it’s likely close.

Yes please to the race rehearsal. Now’s the time to lock ourselves into the bars and really focus on being steady and the nutrition. You clearly have that upper and fitness, now it’s an opportunity for us to begin to exercise some discipline. 

Lets keep rolling!!

~ Coach P 
  • Options
    Okay so Day 1 of the RR did not go as planned.  I did swim yesterday as well as a small run to get the legs ready (3mi).  But today was rough.  The bike went well.  I didn't feel fatigued coming off the bike, although my time/distance was not what I was really hoping for.  Then I forgot my running shoes so I went to the fire house to grab a spare pair (it was only a few miles away).  All of a sudden my stomach went south.  I was on the pot for about 15'.  After that, I started the run and felt pretty good.  I kept it slow even though the first 2 mi. was down hill.  I figured that I would get my stomach back to normal in that time.  Then when I got into the flats I felt weird.  I looked at my vitals and all looked good but either way, I went to a walk then just stopped.  After as couple min. I tried to pick it back up to get leg cramps.  From there it was a 3+ mi. run as a 10' pace just to get back and I felt shelled.  I can only assume it was from dehydration from shitting so much.  Why did I do that you may be asking yourself?  I took a gel on the bike that was out of expiration by 18 months.  That is the only thing I can make of it.  So tomorrow I hope for better results but for not my legs are still shelled.
  • Options
    Wow, that was borderline TMI! :-) Sounds like you may have also been nutritionally behind from the first day to the next. This is pretty normal for this time of year is people transition from low mileage/indoor training to longer mileage/outdoor training.

A lot of people don’t appreciate the physical toll that these workouts take it and the requisite fluids required to keep our bodies happy and recovering. In addition to using gel’s that have not expired, I suggest you review your hydration plan and make sure that’s on point!
  • Options
    Good points for sure.  I am finding more and more that you have to respect the sport and all it is. 

Day 2 went better.  I was not as fast (but pretty much the same) however my run off the bike was great.  I did a 4mi run off of a 56mi bike and the run felt great and was fast.  I was putting in a sub 8min pace and felt great.  So I was happy for that.

Day3 was the run and felt good going in.  For the first few miles I didn't feel over extended.  Then mile 8 I felt a pain in my foot that felt like a blister.  I was a little concerned but kept trucking.  After mile 9+, I said to myself, "Self, this sucks."  So I wrapped up the run at 10.5mi in 90min.  with the last 1.5mi. being a 8:45 pace.  I ended with a 8:20 pace OA and was pleased but ended with a huge blood blister on my foot.  I will send a pic as I am perplexed on its location and how I got it. 

I worked yesterday and took the day off but still did a lot of activity at work with FD training.  Today I will wrap up the week with a 30 mi. easy ride and hopefully a swim.  If I don't get a swim in today I will try to get it in tomorrow before work.

I saw pics from the Spain trip  WOW is all I can say.  You are doing  amazing stuff with EN and I am proud to be a small member of your team.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2018 10:59AM
    @Eric DePoto -  Man, you have really ramped that worked up! That is good stuff, and always hard to get back into the groove with condensed volume like that. Not just from a nutritional perspective, but also from just a fatigue situation.

That could potentially be one of the contributing factors to this blister? If you had bricked I might have suggested that your feet for just a little soft from time on the bike, but I’m curious to learn more. If the blisters really bad, you might want to consider draining it! Let me know what you decide. But if it is impacting your day-to-day walking it might be a good call.

2018 is the year of adventure for sure! Already having a ton of fun. 
  • Options
    GOOD MORNING CP!!  Glad to see you're up and kicking arss.  So since I have not been able to run since Thursday, I not only drained my foot I cut the whole thing off.  No, not my foot, just the blister.  I thought back to when I was a gymnast and would get the same on my hands.  I cut the blister off and would deal with the pain for a couple days.  So now I have let it heal for a little bit and will try to run 4-5 mi today and see what happens.  Tomorrow will be a nice bike ride as that doesn't hurt as much.  Since next week I will be in TX, I am trying to put in more volume now to make up for the lack of next week.  Next week I will try to do some good runs but I know it wont be long ones due to classes and evals. 

I will have to send you a pic via phone, as I cannot figure out how to get it on the website here, lol.
  • Options
    I am simultaneously excited and terrified to get your picture. I’m glad you let it heal, I might want to run with two pairs of socks today just to try and keep it happy. Standing by for an update!
  • Options
    Good call on the 2 socks thing.  I will try that and see.  Sending pic now.
  • Options
    How’s it feeling now after the treadmill run?