Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Eric DePoto Official Coach Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hey Patrick good Monday to you.  I was in the mountains, again and they did not disappoint.  I have to say that the Lake Lure area is a great area to ride and train.  I got in a great day of riding and found out that if you hydrate but don't take in the proper electrolytes then your run will SUCK!!!!  I totally forgot to put extra BASE salt in my mix and it killed my run.  I got so excited about riding and training in the mountains that I totally forgot.  Anyway, I rode good and given I was in the mountains, I was still a 1.09 on VI, so not too bad.  I took Sunday off for family and travel, but am back at it today.  Below is the garmin info.

• Options
     I saw the ride on Strava, it looked epic. All of that work in the mountains definitely makes you stronger. Consider it your secret weapon.

Of course, we still have to translate that to time trial work in the Aero position and cadence specificity, but you can be the strength of per minute I’ll put the mountains Create. Nicely done! 
  • Options
    Thanks coach, I turned around and did a great day of training on Monday and Tuesday.  Here is the training on Tues.  I swam yesterday and tried to run but was unable to due to work.  Today I run for 3 hours.

• Options
    I saw the cleaners come out on Strava! Nice work. Please keep hammering the nutrition practice!
  • Options
    Thanks CP!  Yeah the weekend was a pretty good one.  Today the sleep monster kept me in bed so I did not swim.  My nutrition is getting better.  I feel its almost there.

• Options
    At this point I will gladly take sleeping over swimming; you have done so much work, your body needs to recover!
  • Options
    Well I am glad to know you agreeed with that one.  I am going to get a 75' hard ride in today with about a 15' run after.  Tomorrow I have a swim before work but not going to push it.  Here is my thoughts for this week as April has a small procedure being done on Friday.

Tue: B-75, R 15
    Wed: S-45
    Thur: B-360, R-60
    Fri: B-240
    Sat: R-120
    Sun: rest or swim? 

I am doing what is on for this week but due to work and April I am shuffling it a bit.  What are your thoughts?

• Options
    At this point I will gladly take sleeping over swimming; you have done so much work, your body needs to recover!

and Sunday rest unless you need to swrap with Sat run to be there for April post procedure. 
  • Options
    Ok, thanks.  Day one started out good but the went to poop.  After a busy night and only a few hours sleep I did my long RR.  I started out great until I realized that I forgot my second round of nutrition for the bike.  This led me to do just Gatorade on the second lap.  This was a large gap of calories, carbs and electrolytes.  I felt good on the bike, but got 3mi in the run and it went to poop.  So I did a 30' run and called it quits.  I have to be better focused on my plan or its not gonna happen.  So today I will do the day two and see where it goes.  Below are my numbers:

If you look at my run you will see my HR go up drastically after the first 2.3 mi.  Thats when I started feeling it. 

• Options

So yesterdays ride and run felt good. Legs were heavy but it felt good. I could not do the amount of time due to Aprils procedure but I got in a few good hours and we will have to go from there. I am getting ready for my 120' run and we shall see, I am optimistic. Below is yesterdays numbers.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2959090614

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2959090988

• Options

Ok so my run (for the most part) was great. I stuck to the plan and for the first 6 mi. I was in TRP mode. From there I went to Z2 and felt good. Up to the point where I rolled my ankle. You can see where it happened. The good news is, it looks ok. The bad news is I didn't finish the day the way I wanted to. Which all is all, it is ok. Could be worse, it could be snowing!!!

• Options

I think you did a great amount of work there! And despite the nutrition mess up, you were able to salvage the next few days of training which is good.

You can see how important hydration is moving from the bike to the run. Those early hours of the bike are mission critical. You must be awesome there to make it work.

Remember, you are a system, and the system has to play out right to be successful. I hope Aprille is recovering well.

• Options

Ok so I am a little nervous because I feel the race is not creeping up on me but running at me with a stick. I am sure I will feel better when I get there on Tues. I put my plan on the race ex. page and will be going with that. I will schedule a quick call this week to go over stuff. Hope you holiday weekend is going well.

• Options

I fully understand that you’re nervous, but at the same time I feel really solid about your bills. Despite the craziness of life this season, you’ve done a great job stringing together some big workouts and staying healthy. You’ve also done some good work on learning about your nutrition and pacing. I think you are in a better place than you might thanks. Remember, race days about execution not Fitness. The prize goes to he who puts together the best race which is a combination of many things. I have faith in you, but you have to have faith in yourself too.

• Options

Coach P good morning! I hope you are well and I want you to know that me not getting what I wanted was not a part of you it was ME!!!! I did pretty good on race exec. but ultimately I needed to do better. I am going to put up my RR here shortly and I hope to get tons of feedback from it. I am talking to April to see if she wants to use EN to assist her for the next year. And as usual, I will push you and EN further down the line. I am so pleased to be a part of this, and WI was great to see some friendly faces on the course to keep me going.

With the Hurricane looming on me, I will schedule a con call later this month if that is ok? This should give you time to look over my RR as well as the last few months to discuss next season.

Again, thanks!!!

• Options

Your plan for the call sounds perfect. Don’t get too down on yourself. Like I mentioned before, it’s been a big year so I think you should be pretty pleased with the benchmarking very close to where you were before. Now we know what we need to work on! Yes to a call at the end of the month as we should both be settled by then. Happy recovery!

• Options

No as the days go on, I am more pleased with what I have done. And if it was easy, everyone would be doing it!!! Here is the race report. I also put it in the RR file but now you don't have to look for it.

Okay so I can't do it. I typed it up on MS. I thought I should just be able to attach it here. Any advice.

• Options

You should just copy and paste it, but ideally put it in the race report form with your name in the subject so we can find it later. Then you just attach the link to it here and I can read it and give you feedback, along with the rest of the team.

• Options

Hey Coach, I just got back from CA. It was a good break from the normal stuff. I will look to see when you're available for a convo this week.

• Options

Hey Coach P, hope your Thanksgiving was a great one and you got some rest. I am just checking in and seeing if you'd be up to go over some 2019 stuff in the next week or so?

• Options

Totally. Now is the time of year for sure!! My calendar is filling up - https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

Let me know if you can’t find a good spot!

• Options

I got you for the 20th. Looking forward to it boss!

• Options

Hey CoachP, hope all is well and your'e recovering from all the camps! I have been rehabing and getting ready for Italy. We leave in a few weeks and will be jacked to ride across the country. When I get back I want to get with you and get back at it. How does June 6 or 7 look for you? Also I have looked for the location to get scheduled for a con call but I can't find it. Can you assist? Look forward to talking with you and getting back at it for Savage man.

• Options

I saw your workouts in Strava, I can definitely tell that you were doing the work to get ready! I expect many epic pictures!

The afternoon of Thursday the sixth looks good to me. How about you shoot me a text and I will book it for you: 6175133830

• Options

Text sent for the 6th. Thanks again!!

• Options

Talk to you then, have a great trip! ✈️

• Options

Hey CP I hope your summer is going well. I see you're training and your killing it. Unfortunately my wife had a real bad bike wreck at the end of last month. Because of this I have been off of work and taking care of her. I have been able to get some rides in and spend a lot of time on the trainer. I have put off my own rehab (for now) so I can concentrate on her. I am back to work, but on my days off I am putting on my care taker hat and taking care of April. I wanted to give you a heads up. I would love to talk later and catch up. My only athlete is racing this weekend and it looks like he is ready. His name is Jason Kay and he's doing OH 70.3. Its his first and he is pretty excited. I would love to catch up and talk next week if you can. Thanks

• Options

@Eric DePoto I’m so sorry to hear about your wife’s crash, I hope that she is healing quickly. I understand the need to prioritize, and I hope that you will still get the benefits of being smart with regards to your training mode even though your focus is not on yourself right now. I can talk on Tuesday or Friday of this upcoming week. https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min or... Shoot me a text and we’ll lock you in.

~ Coach P