Home OutSeason (January ‘10)
Options

January OS Week 2

I haven't done any work yet, but thought I would start the thread w/ a pic of my running partner

Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

Comments

• Options
    What's his/her name?

I'll be doing my core work today and have promised myself I will go to Yoga class tonight. I also have an apt on Thurs to see a massage therapist to help work on the calf. Otherwise, it's lots of pool time for me this week! Living vicariously through the rest of you- so hit it hard for me!
  • Options

Thank goodness somebody else posted pics of their dog/running partner.....  I blither on about Rudy so glad for some other dog pics...and Dan with your high FTP and VDOT I don't think you need to train today anyways .  Thanks for starting the thread.. I was out the door to school drop off, a 5 mile slog jog (this is slower than Ironman run pace and with lots of walking!) with Rudy and on to PT!  I just have two more visits and all reps/weights on hip/glute stability have been raised and these two exercises are my "hardest"....

1.  bridge BUT, get a stabilty ball and put only heels on the stability ball, get into bridge position and then raise one leg off the ball, keeping the other heel on it, hold for 10", and then switch legs and do 10 on each side.

2.  Plank, BUT get into plank position and then raise left leg and right arm off the floor and hold for 10" and then switch to right leg and left arm, do 10 on each side. 

**good thing I wore my IMLP shorts and top that I "hunted down" in the finisher's tent for some MOJO!.... if you are a size "small" female then you know what I mean as there is never enough clothing in that size!!  so you mighta finished an IRONMAN but can you get clothing in your size or a finisher's tee???  the real contest .... and really the EN guide to Race Execution needs an addendum for the females... a.  Arrive early at any expo if you actually want your size b.  get loved one to hold all of your sizing and then make the decision c. and for further motivation, (experience cited), you mUST finish an Ironman in UNDER 14 hours to receive a "small" size finisher's tee shirt!!  d.  for my next Ironman, my "one thing"  "I must have a race tee shirt in my size!"   and not one that I could wear as a sleep shirt!

okay y'all have a good day, high of 47 here today and sunny so a warm front for the next few days but all of our ponds are frozen and I am trying to keep my kids and dog OFF them....  m

• Options
    @Nemo, his name is Ferris, he is a Rhodesian Ridgeback (sans a ridge).
  • Options
    is this the same kind of dog as Dan Socie's... his is a blonde color too, but maybe a lab. ? anyway nice dog, so regal looking. Ferris, I like it. m
  • Options

@Marianne & Nemo - Hope the PT and massages work their magic for you guys!

@Dan - those are awesome dogs!  Here's a pick of my run coach (Abby) who has been forced to take her running energy and put it into playing with my 18 month old son (Drew) during my running hiatus...

She can hang with me for up to about 10 miles at ~7:00 pace with frequent jumps in the river.  She got pretty excited this morning when she saw me get my running shoes out of the closet.  My injury has been feeling so much better lately (almost non-existent pain) that I decided to start doing some walking this week.  Plan to progress to the elliptical and pool running next week and, with any luck, I should be doing some easy runs by Feb 1.  So this morning I walked 2 miles at a 15:00/mile pace on the treadmill - felt great.  Really had to resist the urge to pick up the pace and see how running felt - kept telling myself to be smart.

Good 45' of push ups, core work and stretching afterwards.  Ready to nail some good bike work this week and keep up the focus on body comp.

• Options
    Abby is so cute and Drew is adorable!! love the lab! good that your injury is improving that you are up to walking! okay so today was the warmest day of the week (47) so I went out and did the 1 hour Saturday bike ride with those 2 x 6' and then 2 x 15', and boy were my legs tired after taking the dog out and doing some PT, I was so glad to see my car!! anyways on the way back saw a sign at pizza place (kids eat free) and that normally means under age 10 (just daughter), but still meeting 2 soccer sons after their prac and before other son's bball practice, I hardly eat out but the thought of hot pizza is sounding pretty good to me. anyway gotta scoot again, but love the dog pics

and I know we have more pet pics in the Jan OS group!!?? so far Ferris, Abby, Rudy, Otto and Lilly, Indie, shoot!! I can't remember everybody's EN names and now the pets??!!! smile. m
  • Options

Dan,  Thats a look i know and love.  I have a Ridgeback too,  IKE is 9 and was never much of a runner more of a sleeper and eater.  He can run when he wants but is pretty lazy by nature but when he feels like it he is amazing.   My first Ridgeback, Marley, was a real runner and could go do 5 miles rest for a bit and then go again if needed.

• Options

Hi Gang:

I am back after a l-o-n-g 5 days with my nephew. And I have been sick the whole time also.   He is doing much better than I had anticipated since his fathers (my brothers) death 2+ months ago.  I took him to see a local shrink and he went twice.  He has a long road ahead of him but he is on the right road, says the shrink.  Good news.  One thing is for sure . . . all this has changed my perspective on many things in my life.  Coach Rich's words that triathlon is "just a game" has never rung so true.  There is definitely way more to life than Ironman.    I'm just sayin'.

Needless to say I didn't get any real training since last week but hope to be back tomorrow depending on how my head feels.  Still stuffed up.  Much needed rain in the forecast for NorCal tomorrow so I will be on the dreadmill.

And since the beginning of this thread appears to have an animal theme . . . this should be me on the dreadmill tomorrow.  Specifically the last part.  DOH!

Happy Monday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM3jzlyNIpc

• Options

IKE looking off the deck last summer

Rita (13 yo lab) just chillin

How old dogs spend their days!!!

I think I got the picture posting thing right!

• Options

Ralph, awww... those two dogs on the pillow, so touchin!  Ike and well now shoot can't see the post!  will look back to see the name again

welcome back John, sorry you are sick and right now I hear our little hamster getting in his morning workout!  on the wheel.

m

• Options

Welcome back John- your words are oh so true!  That hamster vid is hysterical, I need to find something similar for my adventures in water running.  I was there again this morning, round & round in circles in the deep end - ready to go off the deep end if ya know what I mean!

I'm just loving everyones pet pics!  Jim- I can't tell if your kid is laughing or crying, or maybe he's laughing so hard he's crying!  Anyway- such a fun picture.

Good luck to everyone one their trainer rides today!

• Options

I'm just loving everyones pet pics!  Jim- I can't tell if your kid is laughing or crying, or maybe he's laughing so hard he's crying!  Anyway- such a fun picture.

Oh, he's definitely laughing.  Very rarely does she make him cry, except this morning when she came barreling through the door from outside and knocked him into a chair.  They're pretty goods buds.

@John - Great to have you back.  It's unfortunate that we need things like what you just went through to remind us that's this tri thing is just a game.  I'm making a concerted effort to frequently remind myself of that this year.

Good trainer ride this morning for me...3x8' at ~10watts above last weeks FTP, then 15' at .84 IF.  Felt "comfortably hard".  Hope everyone else's went well.

• Options

Power Clinic workout for me. Went fine. Miss my buddy and living vicariously through everyone else's dog postings. Thank you.

• Options
    @Ralph awesome, great pics mine is lazy as well but he does like to go for a run.
    @Jim your kid must have had some food left on his face smart dog!

3x8 was hard and early, I was time crunched but got it done, no rest interval just a straight 24 minutes @ FTP after a warm up. Those extra 15 minutes or so in bed felt really good.
  • Options

in an effort to get to know you better I am typing up questions that my son is reading me from "would you rather?" an app that he has.  you can copy and paste and this I am sure will be interesting!!  and totally OFF track!

1.  would you rather live in a seclusion or live somewhere where you could never be alone?  (me seclusion, wait I am living where I am never alone!!)

2.  would you rather fly or be inviisible? (fly)

3.  would you rather be a big bird or Elmo?  (elmo)

4.  Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face?  (oh my goodness...tattoo my face )

5.  would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (attractive!)

6.  Would you rather be stuck in  a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat?  (star trek as I love it!)

7.  would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital (uhhhh, medical hospital)

8.  would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (no elbows so I could still run!)

9.  would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace?  ( world peace)

10.  Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater, )

11>  bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (I have long hair and a size 8.5 foot, this one has stumped me!!)

have a good night!!!  I walked the dog and went swimming today!!  I got up to 48 pushups, not consec though, and swam doing pulls without a buoy!!  my accomplishments for the day!!!  I can keep my legs afloat near the surface of the water!!  too lazy to get out and be cold to grab the buoy! gonna do today's bike tomorrow! 

• Options

M- I loved that. I'll play along.

1.  would you rather live in a seclusion or live somewhere where you could never be alone?  (seclusion)

3.  would you rather be a big bird or Elmo?  (big bird- he's smart)

4.  Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face?  (shave my head. I've seen enough face tattoos to know that it never turns out well, besides no one said wigs were out)

5.  would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (I thought I already was both- smartest and best looking- kidding- I'd like to be attractive for a while)

6.  Would you rather be stuck in  a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat?  (star trek as I love it!, especially with the young Capt. Kirk)

7.  would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital ( Hands down a medical hospital)

8.  would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (no elbows so I could still run but how to eat?)

9.  would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace?  (world peace)

10.  Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater without SCUBA )

11>  bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (again- bald)

• Options

Alright, I'm in.  Although many of my responses look like Michele and Marianne

1.  would you rather live in a seclusion or live somewhere where you could never be alone?  (seclusion)

3.  would you rather be a big bird or Elmo?  (Big Bird (I'm old school))

4.  Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face?  (shave my head, unless that tattoo could be really really small, in which case I'd go for the tat because I might have freckles bigger! )

5.  would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (smartest, 'cause then I'd be smart enough to know that being pretty isn't really all that important anyway.)

6.  Would you rather be stuck in  a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat?  (star trek of course!!!  Jean Luc & the young Kirk together in one room?  Hubba Hubba!)

7.  would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital ( Hospital! No question.)

8.  would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (no elbows- I need to bike & run!  I can live without swimming!)

9.  would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace?  (world hunger- 'cause I think if we solved that, world peace would shortly follow.  Well, I can always dream!)

10.  Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater!  If I didn't have to breath I'd be a much better swimmer!)

11>  bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (bald head.  If I had size 16 feet, those jokes about me being a hobbit wouldn't seem nearly so cute or funny!)

• Options

All right, I've got nothing better to do before dinner:

3.  would you rather be a big bird or Elmo?  (never watched SS, so I have no clue, but I suspect I'd not be happy with Big Bird's shape)

4.  Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face?  (shave my head, and tattoo my scalp. Tattoos sag along with the skin they're in, so the face is out)

5.  would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (I;m already one of those, but I can't remember which)

6.  Would you rather be stuck in  a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat?  (star trek; I learned more about management from watching Kirk, and being a doctor from watching Bones than in any school or course I went to)

7.  would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital (I've worked in hopsitals for the past 40 years, and they are WAY more dangerous than prisons - especially if you're on the GI unit!)

8.  would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (no elbows so I could still run but how to eat - remember the story of heaven vs hell - everyone has no elbows after death; in heaven, they all feed each other across long tables, and in hell hey just pis, moan, wail, and gnash teeth)

9.  would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace?  (world peace)

10.  Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater)

11>  bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (big feet - maybe I could swim faster?)

BTW, today was the 6th straight day with no snowfall, and the temp got over 35F, so off we went to XC ski - some good endurophins (no, that's not misspelled, that's my neologism of the day).

• Options

okay so y'all are funny!  I never thought of wigs.. duh!!  and how would I eat without elbows?.  well i could use my toes to pick up the food, so I still want my knees!  barefoot running, would take on a whole different meaning though as roadkill would mean dinner!!! so far all of us wants to be alone... and so why are we on this forum?!!  and most of us think it would be okay to be bald as we all love Star trek anyways!!  and how is this even possible that you have never seen Sesame Street??  you are remiss but then you have worked in hospitals for 40 years!    m

• Options
    1. would you rather live in a seclusion or live somewhere where you could never be alone? (seclusion)

2. would you rather fly or be inviisible? (invisible)

3. would you rather be a big bird or Elmo? (big bird for sure)

4. Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face? (shave my head,)

5. would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (smartest I think I could do alright)

6. Would you rather be stuck in a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat? (rat not into start trek)

7. would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital (Hospital, I don't think I'd do well in the klink)

8. would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (no elbows don't ask)

9. would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace? (world peace)

10. Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater)

11> bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (bald, I was told today I have a thinning hair line and bald spot so more realistic)
  • Options

I had to include mine, but I have a lot of questions:

1.  would you rather live in a seclusion or live somewhere where you could never be alone?  (I would take never being alone)

2.  would you rather fly or be inviisible? (fly--without a doubt.  would that be legal in a triathlon?)

3.  would you rather be a big bird or Elmo?  (Elmo seems to have all the good gigs.  I'm going that for that)

4.  Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face?  (Shaved head... although my wife says it is not a good look for me, I'm guessing she would not be a big fan of face tattoos)

5.  would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (If I'm the smartest person in the world does that just make everyone else dumber than me, or am I really smart???  I would go for good looking.  All the smart ugly people wouldn't expect much and hopefully they'll keep me around to look at)

6.  Would you rather be stuck in  a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat?  (Star Trek.  Spent many a fine evening soaking in the adventures of ST:TNG, Voyager, DS9, et al.)

7.  would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital (what am I in the hospital for?  If I'm just hanging out there I would choose the hospital.  If it is for a reason that I HAVE to be in a hospital for a month I might choose prison...can I get a cell alone?  Maybe solitary for that month)

8.  would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (No elbows seems like a no brainer.  There are a few tasks that you would need a good friend for though)

9.  would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace?  (world peace-no brainer)

10.  Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater.  How am I going to get into space?)

11>  bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (hmmmm.... you know what they say about guys with big feet.  Is that part of the deal?)

• Options

Some doggie pics of my rhodesian mutt mix and my answers to the game...

(For some reason, there's a bunch of jibberish in the Preview picture box where the picture shows up after you copy the link to the photo...this prevents the photo from being any bigger...I tried deleting it and it won't go away...anyone know how to get rid of it???)

Ok, I'll play....

1.  would you rather live in a seclusion or live somewhere where you could never be alone?  (Seclusion???)

2.  would you rather fly or be inviisible? (FLY!!!!)

3.  would you rather be a big bird or Elmo?  (Elmo-you can't go wrong with him)

4.  Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face?  (Shaved head... I've come close before when I had shoulder surgery and pretty much had my hair buzzed...I had to wear more makeup than normal and make sure I had girly earrings in...it made getting ready for the day so much easier though!!)

5.  would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (if I'm the smartest then I could surely figure out a way to make myself more attractive or all the dumb ones less attractive the even the playing field)

6.  Would you rather be stuck in  a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat?  (Star Trek)

7.  would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital (Prison-as a general rule you're treated better)

8.  would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (No elbows)

9.  would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace?  (world peace-no brainer)

10.  Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater)

11>  bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (Bald...at 5'4'' size 16 would look pretty bad and at least there's wigs to cover the baldness)

• Options

What a fun idea M!  I'm enjoying reading the answers and seeing some common themes.

As for training stuff.  I hit the pool again today but I swam instead.  I have these new paddles with a skeg on the bottom

They are supposed to help you keep your hand in the right position at the beginning of your stroke.  I can feel the difference and it's helping me get a feel for what people mean when they talk about setting up the "pull".  Anyway- it's another toy to help keep me interested so I don't go nuts during this whole injury/recovery dealio.  Oh- and I'm loving my new lap counter watch too!  I did 1600 total swim (broken into sets of 200) plus 200 kick (no fins). 

On the drive home I decided I need to find a good swim coach in the area and see if I can convince them to work with me 1-2 times/week over the next few weeks.  Maybe make this my "swim focus" month and that will help me feel like I'm still really getting something done while I'm waiting for the calf to heal.  The biggest trick is gonna be finding someone- even when I lived in DC it wasn't easy to find a good coach.  Now I'm out in the boonies so it's only going to be harder!

• Options

Some great dog photos from everyone. 

@John - yes IM is just for fun, enjoy all aspect of life this is just one.

I am a little pressed for time so on to the run workout today.  5X1/2 mile on the treadmill.  5:17 for the first four then a 5:14.  Everything felt good and I tried out a new pair of shoes.

Gordon

• Options
    Sorry I've been MIA. Good week so far. Run today was at our local track. 4 strides (6:54, 6:11, 6:17, 6:06), 1/2 mile at Z4 (8:16), 2X1 miles (8:29, 8:27). My hip was feeling pretty tight afterward, but quickly recovered. Overall a good workout--I felt pretty strong.

Last night was a ride after work. I did the 'work' part of the ride. I did my spin workout today 3X8'@z4, remainder at 85% of effort. I did not get a ton of volume in as I biked after work. Normalized power was 187, 181, 180 for the sets.

In general the workouts have been much better than last week. Good stuff.

Love the photos of the furr children. John: Welcome back. I have done the face plant at the gym on the dreadmill--much like the hamster. I was talking to one of my buddies about ALL of the workouts. I misstepped and fell to the ground. The gym was packed with people, all of them were looking at me as the treadmill was whirling at full speed! I was THAT GUY!
  • Options

Glad to hear others are running well so far, my run went pretty good too.  Although somewhat tired now it was a decent quality workout.

3.  would you rather be a big bird or Elmo?  (Big Bird )

4.  Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face?  (shave my head )

5.  would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (smart, ugly)

6.  Would you rather be stuck in  a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat?  (star trek, what a choice)

7.  would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital ( Hospital as I don't care for the 'welcome committee' at prison)

8.  would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (no elbows)

9.  would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace?  (world hunger as world peace would make the news really really boring)

10.  Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater, I don't get into outer space very often anymore)

11>  bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (bald head, see shaved head answer above)

Thanks those were fun

Steve

• Options

2.  would you rather fly or be inviisible? (invisible)

3.  would you rather be a big bird or Elmo?  (Big Bird )

4.  Would you rather shave your head permanently or tattoo your face?  (shave )

5.  would you rather be the smartest person in the world but the ugliest or the most attractive but the dumbest (smart, ugly)

6.  Would you rather be stuck in  a Star Trek conversation or look like a rat?  (star trek)

7.  would you rather be in prison for a month or a medical hospital ( Hospital)

8.  would you rather have no elbows or have no knees? (no elbows--can't cycle without knees. But I'm not certain I'm strong enough to pull without elbows)

9.  would you rather end the world hunger or have world peace?  (world hunger)

10.  Would you rather be able to breathe underwater or in out space (underwater--I love scuba)

11.  bonus, this one is horrible... would you rather be bald or have size 16 feet? (bald)

Geoff

• Options
    Posted By Tom Scroggins on 12 Jan 2010 09:54 PM

(hmmmm.... you know what they say about guys with big feet.&#160image

Big shoes? 

• Options
    Posted By John Stark on 13 Jan 2010 11:48 PM
    Posted By Tom Scroggins on 12 Jan 2010 09:54 PM

(hmmmm.... you know what they say about guys with big feet. 

Big shoes? 

Nope. Big SOCKS.

• Options
    Glad everybody is doing well!!
    right now the only thing working out is Snuggles the Hamster, he is going strong! currently he says he is just building up base miles on this treadmill.... as he has heard there is a dog in the house and is mentally prepped for any escape plan that he might need to employ! He has two girls that take him out every day and he has schemed on adventure races. One time he was under the blanket on the bed and then sure enough, one of the girls got distracted and he was able to high tail on a course that had been preplotted... ending up in the closet! That surely was a 1/2 marathon for him and he was actually thankful to be found as there was NO food in the closet!
    Have a good day! m