Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Good jog at KISS Community League Race yesterday! It was so thrilling! I was so happy to race with you and EN athletes for the first time. We seldom match our schedule due to time difference.

I talked about the issue with Katsuyuki yesterday and we came to a tentative conclusion that you (EN) should set up a Facebook group everybody can join, as you suggested, where EN athletes can connect with one another and those who are interested in EN can ask them questions. It will be OK whether the group is set up in English or Japanese. I can help manage it. What do you think of it?

In the mean time, I'm going to talk at a panel discussion of a Triathlon Event here on 28th April, which is intended to give advice to athletes who aim for Kona. Of course I'll share EN with the attendants and let it known to them.

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi I am talking with Maria now about what is the best way forward to connect with athletes in your country. I hope to have an answer for you by next week! Please let me know if I can give you anything for the presentation. Is there perhaps something like a shirt or better that you could use? Please do not wear your outfit from the Kona under pants run. 😂

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Anything but that! (for my outfits) 🤣 If possible, could I have an EN Tshirt (M) to wear at the presentation? I have one but it is only a bit worn out. Anyway I am waiting for your next reply.😀

Akio

• Options

Can you get me your address? I will see what I can do@Akio Yamauchi !!!!!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick

My address is:

26-21-304, Koishikawa 3-chome, Bunkyo, Tokyo, Japan 112-0002

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I can't wait to talk at the presentation in EN gear!

By the way I noticed that my season plan you made for me is off by one week! It went like this:

On 1/14/2019 Load the -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 4/21/2019

On 4/22/2019 Load the -- Swim Camp to end on 5/5/2019

Actually I started OS on 1/14/2019, so I'm ending it 4/14 (this weekend). How should I adjust this?

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Sorry, I don't have to adjust my season plan! I started SC today (4/15), ending on 4/28. However we have a long spell of national holidays from 4/17 to 5/6 this year in Japan celebrating the coronation of the new emperor. I'm going to and staying at my hometown from 5/2 to 5/6. I cannot train during that time, so I'm starting my Bike Focus Block at 5/7 as you planned for me. Dose this make sense? 😅

Thanks!

Akio

• Options
    edited April 19, 2019 8:34AM

@Coach Patrick

Are you still in Majollca? The stuff arrived safely yesterday. They all look very nice! Thank you for your concern. Now I'm ready for my presentation. 😁

By the way, I'm now reading "Training + Racing with a Power Meter (3rd Ed)" and found Coach Rich and you continue to be quoted in the chapter about triathlon as in 2nd Ed.🤩 I'm so proud of it!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi Yes Coach P is still in Mallorca at the camp, I'm just chiming in for him while he's away. This is fine as you are losing the better part of a week in your hometown. While it's only 5 days if possible get in a short run one or two of those day otherwise just enjoy the break and the celebration of your new emperor prior to your bike focus block.

• Options

Thank you for the reply @Gordon Cherwoniak ! I think I can do one or two runs while I'm away. I'm having a camp with my local team and @Katsuyuki Kiya today and tomorrow.

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Coach Patrick

I noticed today by the EN news letter that Bike Focus Block has been updated! I already started the old plan three weeks ago. Should I transfer to the new one? I found the new plan is centered on Vo2, and I much prefer Vo2 workouts to threshold ones because they get done quickly!😅

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

YES please...update away @Akio Yamauchi

• Options

@Coach Patrick

Thanks! I already transferred!😀

Akio

• Options

Looks like you’re not only fast on the run, you’re fast everywhere else! 😂

• Options

😅😅😅

• Options

Coach Patrick,

It's been a while since I put in my update here.

As I posted on Face Book, I fell down at 175 km mark on the bike leg and had my left collarbone broken . I went to see an orthopedic surgeon after I came back home, and was told that it would take about 2 months to completely recover. In the mean time I should be able to ride an indoor trainer in December. I want to take a break from the training for a while and wait for my shoulder to heal completely.

I was at the 3rd place in my AG when I quit the race. It was a pity I couldn't go on the race. You know I'm good at running in the heat. I want to challenge Malaysia if there is a chance because it's my favorite Ironman!

Thanks

• Options

How are youReceive surgery, or do you not need surgery at all?Let me know what the situation is so I can better understandWhere are you are at.

It is a pity that you were unable to continue with the race, as I know you were very strong this year.These things happen for a reason,Clearly someone else needed to go to Hawaii in your place. 😂

plse keep us posted on your recovery. I will support however you need. if you have a race report (in Japanese) could you post it to the EN in Japan Facebook group?

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach Patrick,

I really appreciate your concern. I saw a an orthopedist here after I got back home He said I don't need surgery for now and had me wear a clavicle brace. As I said in my last update, it will take about 2 (or 3) months to get on track for training. I am thinking of take advantage of two months free membership for injured members. What do you think? In that case won't I be able to get in touch with you on this forum?

Yes to your comment on my mishap! I think it was meant to be too. Instead of me one of my rivals in Japan got a slot at the second place. I just saw him passing by while I was sitting down by the course after I quit the race. I had never dreamed of losing to him.😭

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi if you do the injury timeout option, you retain full membership. It is our commitment to getting you back on track, and the recognition of everything that you as a member have given to Endurance Nation. We want you to stick around even if your body has other ideas! I wouldn’t think about the situation in terms of losing to your arrival, but rather giving them an unexpected gift. Sometimes it’s not what we earn but what we share that is the greater good.

I am pleased to hear that you do not need surgery. There is a host of additional complications that come from the surgery, so I hope your recovery is speedy and as pain-free as possible. Please stay in touch with me here in the forms and I’m happy to help you out with whatever you need!

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thank you for your consideration. I'm focusing on my jog for the time being as I took too many holidays in October. 😅

I am relieved to know that I can have access to all the resources in EN and talk to you here during my timeout. If not I am afraid I might not be able to help out Newbies and those who is interested in EN in Japan.

I agree with you that what we share is the greater good. Next time it's my turn!

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

Thanks for the collarbone update on Facebook...feel free to put future updates here as well if we need to keep a record of them!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick I went to see an orthopedist today, and was told that my collarbone is not completely healed yet, but there is no limit to training. He also said that I don't need to come to see him any more.

I'd like to start OS from next month, but I'm getting out of shape, so I'm going to resume full training in February after a break in period in January. Let me ask you again if I should start with OS or do some other plans.

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi That is excellent news! I agree with one more month before you get into “serious” training. It would be nice to have you on a light program with some aerobic work just to prepare you for real training in the near future.

my bias would be to put you into the out season program, and have you start out at a lower level than normal for the first five week phase. Before you agree or disagree, can you please remind me hear what your races are for the season? That will help me advise you better. You can also put them into our system online: http://bit.ly/yourraces

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your comment. My A race for this season will be IM Malaysia. It's because I haven't finished the race yet since I fell down.😅 At the moment the race is TBD, but it should be on 24th October. If I start out OS in February, it seems my training schedule will fit into my season well.

Until February I'm going to build my fitness so I can start OS readily.

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Coach Patrick My Time2Out is almost over. I'm going to start OS on February third. The schedule of IM Malaysia is still TBD, but I think it will be decided while I'm doing OS. You said you were going to have me start out at a lower level than normal for the first five week phase. How can I adjust that?

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi welcome to the first week of your owl season program! I've never been so excited for someone to start their training late. 🤣

All joking aside, it's fantastic to have you back on track! Since we don't have the full schedule of Iron Man Malaysia right now, there is no pressure for you to be in the pool. In fact, I would recommend that you spend your time continuing to do the rehabilitation exercises that your doctor has given you or that you have found useful. Let me know if you need any help with that.

In order to modify the level of the training plans, I suggest that you use the level to bike workouts, and the level one run workouts. These will be slightly less work than you are used to, but will hopefully be a step up from the work you have been doing in the last few weeks. Essentially, we are looking for you to do just a little more work than you have been doing already.

I know you have been active, but I want to make sure that at least the first two weeks of the old season program are very achievable for you. After that, you can begin to increase the workload a little bit to make things harder. The best case scenario would be to have you treating at "normal" levels by mid March. There is still plenty of time for you to get very fit before Malaysia, we just need to start off slowly.

Does that make sense?

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited February 10, 2020 11:50AM

@Coach Patrick Thank you for your guidance. I understand what you mean. I still have some (or rather great) pain left in my shoulder and cannot swim well. I'm afraid it will take one more months to be able to start swim workouts, so I'm going to focus on bike and run and try to get back on track by mid March as you recommend.

I think my physical status for each discipline at the moment is likely to be : Bike 8 of 10 / Run 5 of 10 / Swim 1 of 10. Bike is almost OK. I thought I was going to die after I finished half marathon at 1:39 last Saturday. I ran the same race at 1:25 in April last year.

I'll get back here with my update next week after I have done my first two weeks of OS.

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi The fact that you were able to run as well as you did despite your injury and the time off is really impressive. It does show the gap to where you want to be, but I have confidence that you will get back there. Your focus and commitment or unmatched.

I am hopeful that you will see quick progress in the ass season. I think you respond well to intensity, and the structure of the weeks there will really work in your favor. Remember, we do not need to push hard on the run just yet. Maybe once a month you can do a 5K or something similar, but for right now it's all about consistency. Put that extra energy into the bike!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your reply. it's all about consistency. -- I got it!

It was decided at last that IM Malaysia will be held on October 24. I submitted my survey and am looking forward to having my seasonal road map from you.

Thanks!

Akio