Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options

Excellent. It is on my to do list, I will get to it this weekend. 👍

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

I think we have a good plan for you! I am hopeful that your OS return will get you fit and ready to handle swim camp (when physical therapy is done) and then the Run Focus Block (your Zone4 should be there by then). It is still a long season, so we need to be careful of your focus and health. If you do decide to do another or new race in the interim, then please let me know and we can add it in!

Your Races

• 10/24/2020 IM Malaysia 

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on the Training Plan page by clicking the Move / Change button. Learn more about each plan on the Training Plan Central Page.

• Last updated by Coach on 02/15/2020
    • On 2/3/2020  Load the  -- OutSeason for Triathletes (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 5/10/2020
    • On 5/11/2020 Load the    Swim Camp to end on 5/24/2020
    • On 5/25/2020 Load the    Run Focus Block to end on 7/5/2020
    • On 7/6/2020  Load the    EN Full Prep Plan, 4wks to end on 8/2/2020
    • On 8/3/2020  Load the    EN*Full Bike Focused  to end on 10/25/2020
    • On 10/26/2020 Load the  -- Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 11/22/2020
    • On 11/23/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability 1 (9 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 12/20/2020
    • On 12/21/2020 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 1/17/2021
    • On 1/18/2021 Load the  -- Run Durability 2 (8 months out) -- 4 weeks to end on 2/14/2021</p>

Your Notes

IM Hawaii 2019

IM Malaysia 2019 DNF by falling down on the bike leg and having my left collar bone broken

Resumed bike seven weeks after the accident, run and swim in the middle fo January.

Now in the second week of OS starting 3rd February.

The bike is almost OK. Still cannot hit my Zone 4 in the run. Still have some pain left in the shoulder and cannot swim normaly, but trying to swim as a physical theraepy.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thank you for my training plans! I think the difference from last year is that you put in Run Focus Block instead of Bike Focus Block. I feel fresh because I had been practicing mainly by focusing on bike until last year. The key factor in IM Malaysia will be run in the heat. Last year and also in the past races in Malaysia I didn't feel so hot on the bike leg. Anyway I'd like to work on my OS until May. Doing your training plan is tough, but always fun!

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi yes, I think it is appropriate for you to focus on the run right now. I see how quickly your body is responding and I am excited to see what your potential is. The key factor here is making sure that you stay “running healthy“ at all times. If you feel like there might be an issue with excessive running, please switch to a cycling workout and let me know.

I also want to be cautious around your collarbone with excessive time on the bike I would rather be focused on the recycling training for now and develop the run before we transition to a more typical Triathlon build.

• Options
    edited March 4, 2020 2:01PM

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your advice! I also think it'd be better to focus on the run to get it back to the previous level. I feek that the bike has almost returned to the level of last year. However, maybe because of aging, the power seems to be falling a little.

What kind of training should I do for that purpose? Just running at TRP would be enough to run healthy? Or should I put in some threshold intervals as in the plan? I was going to run half marathon again at the same race as in the last month this weekend, but it has been cancelled due the covid-19! Almost all of the athletic meets have been and would be cancelled through April. Actually the condition of my shoulder turned dramatically better recently and I was going to resume swim, but the swimming pool I go to was decided to be be closed until 15th.

I hear that even if you are infected with this virus, the symptoms are mild or even don't appear as long as you are fit. I don't think we need to be so scared. The best measure is to stay fit. Anyway I hope this situation will be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi -- to me that you were following the Outseason program that we discussed, then yes you can add all of the runs around the Workouts on the bike. There be one family one session week so the rest will be all built around frequency (TRP). IF you want more running than you see in that plan, just write out what you are tuning for me and we can go from there!

• Options
    edited March 28, 2020 7:24AM

@Coach Patrick I'm sorry for my late reply. I've followed the OS plan and found I cannot do more runs than in the OS. Rather in fact I'm afraid I need to dial down both of intensity and volume. I think I'm going to do three runs a week for the time being -- one threshold (intervals), one jog, and one long run (10-13miles). I'd like to build my run after I start the RFB in May. BUT the governor of Tokyo requested us today to stay at home this weekend to prevent the spread of coronavirus. Tokyo might be locked down soon, like New York!

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - is your limitation due to the restrictions on exercise? Or is it a training related issue such as fatigue or injury? This early in the year it is OK for us to be flexible with the traditional run training program. It is important to remember that by easing off on the run, we create room for your bike to grow. That said, after your most recent bike test I am not sure that your competition wants to see you get any faster on the bike! 😱🚀🤣

• Options
    edited April 1, 2020 1:30PM

@Coach Patrick Sorry again I was vague about my words. It was due to fatigue. Bike is OK, but I feel that I can't get rid of my fatigue after running. So for now, I think it will be difficult to do more running training than I mentioned in my last update. Also in case of outdoor running I'm a bit scared that they say high-intensity exercise may make our immune system weak and make us vulnerable to the coronavirus.

Anyway I'm sure I'm doing great with my bike thanks to your hard bike program and zwift racing!😂

I'll be back with my update soon.

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - no problem, I totally get it. I think it's challenging to return to a high level of training in both disciplines. Especially after your injury layoff. I think it's best for us to give room for your run Fitness to grow on a slightly longer timeline. As you mentioned, we have to be careful with run intensity so let's use the bike as the primary tool. You can instead use the run durability approach to get stronger thru frequency vs speed. How does that sound?

I can see you logging workouts in Zwift, but I don't see them in final surge. Can you please synchronize your Strava account? That will bring over the workouts for both the bike and the run and you can turn off the Garmin integration that you have right now.

For someone who is concerned about the running, you certainly did a fair amount of running last week! I hope the half marathon went well.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your advice. The run durability approach sounds good for me now. I also feel that it will be enough to build my run in RFB since my A race is in the end of October. I'm not sure it will be held as scheduled this year, though.

I'm going to do my Bike test at zwift race tomorrow. It was to be done Tuesday, but I was dead fatigued in my zwift ride -- Haute race on Sunday, and my legs haven't recovered enough today. As for the sync with Strava, I used to sync Strava to FS, but it turned off before I knew it! I made it right today, so you can check the data.

Thanks! Akio

• Options

The data looks good to me now @Akio Yamauchi As well as that new shiny FTP! Keep up that great work my friend.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2020 10:03AM

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your comment. At the moment the state of emergency by the government is supposed to be over at 6th May. My OS will come to an end at that weekend. As I posted on FB, I'm going to keep my run at TRP or under until that. By the way, my bike workouts is returning to FTP this week from Vo2, but let me stick to Vo2 four more weeks. I feel (have been thinking for these few years) that Vo2 works better than FTP/threshold for an older guy like me, who is in his late 50s. What do you think about this idea?

Thanks!

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi I agree that more VO2 time could really benefit you. You are strong, so be sure to monitor your physical levels to make sure that you aren't collecting too much fatigue. I think you would still be able to hit the higher numbers, but I want to make sure that it's not at a cost that makes you tired overall. Thank for being an inspiration for the Team!

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your advice. It is certain that I feel more fatigued after Vo2 workouts than those of Threshold, but recovery seems rather quicker the next day. This, of course, depends on the nature of workouts. Anyway, I would like to go on with Vo2 (plus one or two zwift races for a week) for another two weeks and see the result of bike test . Every zwift race is like a FTP test, tough.😅

Thanks! Akiio

• Options

I would be OK with an every other week progression. You are right that’s what races are like FTP tests. But that’s exactly why the video to Workout‘s are in Porten. That was Workout‘s that are races end up having a ceiling around your threshold effort that you will not exceed in a race. You will only be able to do that in a work out. And that is an important piece of your overall development.

Having a higher VO to level of fitness will allow you to attack the group or bridge back to a breakaway with a short burst of energy. That would be next level performance for you in the game.

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your guidance. Yes, I understand races are done around FTP output with some bursts of Vo2 or higher. In this sense I also know the workouts are more important to build my fitness and make my development. That said, races are fun! I want something to keep myself motivated in this period of covid-19 crisis. However let me think about this more for a while. By the way, what do you mean by "the video to Workout‘s are in Porten"?

Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - I am so sorry that my dictation went wrong. I meant to say that "the VO2 workouts are important." Essentially a lot of racing involves small bursts followed by time at or just under threshold. Eventually the race will settle down and sometimes it can almost feel easy.

This is partly due to the fact that you were stronger but also due to the fact that you have become accustomed to that type of effort. The game changer for athletes as the improve with Racing is having a higher view to ceiling so that they can attack or return to a group and still continue at the regular pace.

So I want you to still do VO2 work as a workout but you can totally race for threshold building!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your reply. I thought so, but I googled it thinking it might be a new English slang or so😂.

Back to the subject, I agree with you. This year I have been able to maintain a higher level of performance in races than I did last year. These days, the average wattage in about 20 km races (that end in about 30 minutes) exceeds my FTP. I have not until last year. This may be because, as you say, the Vo2 workout has made it easier for me to sustain the wattage at or higher my FTP. Anyway, I'm going to continue with my Vo2 workouts for the time being and see the results.

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Coach Patrick I have a question about my training plan. I'm ending my OS next weekend, and starting Swim Camp at 11th. However, the declaration of a state of emergency for Tokyo has been decided to be extended to the end of May, and all sports facilities will also be closed. So I can't swim until the end of May. It seems it will be no use doing SC since I cannot swim at all. So I would like to ask you what I should do after OS. Should I start Run Focus Plan, or extend the OS for two more weeks repeating the last two weeks of it? Even if I start RFP, I have to wear a face mask when I run outside, so I'm worried if I can do high-intensity intervals due to the respiratory restriction. I have difficulty breathing if I run at a high pace with a mask on. What should I do?

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi Thanks fro checking in. I have created a Swim Camp Alternative plan in Final Surge that you can load instead that will help you recover/process the OS before moving on. I suggest you use that!

After that, we can move to the RFP which should be very close to the end of May. It's possible we might have to modify that part of your season to focus on durability vs outright speed; we can only play the game with the cards we have been dealt. Your safety and the safety of others is paramount, so I understand why masks are critical.

I can run without a mask here if I go very early in the morning when there is no one else around. Is that an option for you or are you 100% required to wear a mask?

~ Patrick

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your replay. Oh, I've missed that replacement plan! It looks perfect with strength training. And I remember another purpose of SC is helping us recover from the load of OS.

As to the mask matter, yes, we CAN run without a mask here when there is no one else around too. BUT there IS someone or quite a few runners where I always run. So I have to go out for run with a mask just in case. So I got a mask for the athletic purpose called Naroo. I found it works fine for some high-intensity exercise and will let me run without any problems. 😄

Thanks! Akio

• Options

I'm glad I'm glad you found a good solution. Just as a note, we are running a fun challenge at the end of the month called ultra May. This is a two day endurance adventure, and finishers will get an endurance nation neck gaitor. This goes around your neck and you can pull it up over your mouth and nose as needed.

If you don't want the prize, it would be great to see you participate in the event. It should be a lot of fun! Here are the details: www.endurancenation.us/ultramay2020

• Options
    edited May 14, 2020 9:37AM

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your reply and information about the fun (and huge!) event. I already knew the challenge by the mailing list from you. Since there's a half-day time difference between here and there, I'm not confident I can try it, but will think positive.

By the way, this might be a bit too hasty, but I'd like to ask you about the next training plan. In the Run Focus Plan I'm starting at 25th, there are Track Workouts every Tuesday. I don't have any good 400m tracks in my neighborhood, but there's a 450m slope of about 1-4%. Can I replace the track workout with hill repeat there? What are your thoughts?

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - you can absolutely modify the schedule to fit your timeline. The goal is to complete the challenge, not to follow New York time zone! I posted it in the Japan group, feel free to modify or start a discussion there with your teammates. No pressure, it would just be fun if it worked out!

Yes, you can use the incline as a tool for your running. That's fine, however don't get too obsessed about the speed. I am expecting that a great deal of your running at speed will be on the flat ground. If you are claiming an incline, then you will see a loss of actual speed even though you are gaining In strength.

I think you're smart enough to know the difference between speed as an absolute training tool and the value of running up hill (even if the hill means a little bit less speed). An ideal world, you would be able to add between 5 and 15 seconds per mile at your target pace to account for the incline of the hill.

Does that make sense?

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your reply. Yes, I know the philosophy of this event. I'll try it unless I'm invited to a beer party.😅

Another reason I'd like to do my Vo2 run on the incline is to prevent injury. If I ran as hard as I could on the level ground, I might pull a muscle and break down. Once I get injury I'm afraid it would take rather a long period to get back on my feet again considering my age. I think incline running would be safer. In this sense, I always do any intervals with power and RPE rather than the absolute speed. Is it OK?

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - yes, this is totally OK. I really like the idea of using incline versus the flats in order to stay safe. The key there is to make sure the incline is just right. Too steep could be bringing negative consequences as well. One thing I would ask you to focus on is to make sure you are really pushing off the big toe so you were getting a full stride in those uphill repeats!

Good luck!

~ Coach P

• Options
    edited June 3, 2020 1:07AM

@Coach Patrick Thanks for your advice. The slope is generally rather gentle though the incline is not steady. Actually it is part of one of my run courses in my neighborhood and I often run on it. I've thought it is good for hill repeats. I did two hill repeat workouts today and last week. Today I tried to focus my strides as you advised me to, and it went well. I also noticed doing so fired my glutes too. I'm going to continue this during my RFB. By the way, I'm sorry I couldn't become ultra last weekend due to my family matter. The declaration of state of emergency here was lifted last Monday at last. Gyms and swimming pools opened after three months' interval. I'm going to resume swim this week.

Thanks! Akio

• Options

@Akio Yamauchi - thank you for the detailed description of the hill. I am jealous, I don't have any good, friendly hills like that in my neighborhood! And no worries about the Ultraman challenge. It definitely proved to be more complicated than I anticipated, but it was fun as well. Maybe one day in the future you will be dumb enough to join us! 🤣

Very happy to hear about the state of emergency...please stay safe!

~ Coach P

• Options

@Coach Patrick Thanks to your reply. Contrary to your case, there are few flat roads on my usual running courses. I can choose flat places to run on, but then I have to stop frequently at traffic lights!😅

Thanks! Akio