Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options

Coach Patrick,

This will be my last update before Kona:

Mon: OFF

Tue: Bike 15'@warm up (incl. 3x1'@spin up), 3x6'@zone4, 15'@warm down.  Swim 45'@drills and easy swimming

Wed: Swim 80'/3800m as in the list.

Thu: Run 80'@zone1 -->> zone2 as in the list.

Fri: Swim 3800m TT@75'.

Sat: Bike 180' as in the list but spent 35' for warm down. Run (brick): 15'@zone3 (tried to hit zone4, but couldn't) -->> 15'@zone1-2.

Sun (today):  OFF

* Dropped two runs in the list and made two no legs days to rest my legs.

I'm leaving here in the evening of Tuesday (night flight) and arriving at Kona at 12:49 on the same day. Perhaps we might meet at the airport. I will say hello when I see you!

Thanks!

• Options
    Great! I like your focus on the work and the better focus on recovery. :-)

It'll be hard, but still keep it easy at the start of this week. You got a lot to do between the time you land and Saturday so use that travel time to line up a schedule that you think will work best for you. I'll be all around town on Tuesday and Wednesday as well...I look forward to connecting.
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Got it! Can't wait to start the race, and meet the people from EN!

• Options
    Hope you can make it to breakfast at Dennys tomorrow morning at 8am!
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,
    Sorry I haven't reach you yet. I will ride to Denny's tomorrow for breakfasts! (unless it rains, I hope so)
    Akio
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,
    Sorry I haven't reach you yet. I will ride to Denny's tomorrow for breakfast! (unless it rains, I hope so)
    Akio
  • Options
    Akio - congratulations on your race! It was so great to meet you in person. I know that it's really hard to hang out with people when you don't share the same language, and I super appreciate you making the effort. I can't wait to find your race report!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Sorry for not replying sooner. When I came home, I had tons of work waiting for me. I'm not satisfied at all with my race this time because my goal time was 10:00! I don't understand how it took so long (1:43) in the swim, and why I was so fatigued in the bike. Also I couldn't push myself in the run. I've kept asking myself about my miserable performance in the race since I came home. This is the reality, and I must accept it. I'm afraid it would take some time to get back on my feet completely -- mentally.

However, it was a great experience that I was able to connect folks from EN! I high fived some of them in the run, which was also one of my good memories in Kona this year. Actually I hadn't talked with triathletes from other countries face to face until that breakfast, so I was a bit nervous.

Anyway I'm going to start training for my next Kona in November. I haven't decided which Ironman to do next year yet. If I cannot find a suitable Ironman, I might aim for a slot for 2016. I hear we are having a new Ironman Japan next November at a beautiful beach resort in Okinawa with 50 Kona slots. Oh, I mustn't forget that I have to study and speak English more!

Thanks!

• Options
    Akio - it was so great to meet you and share breakfast with you. I can't believe that was your first time talking with athletes from another country… That is very very cool. And I think your English is excellent, at least it is 100 times better than my Japanese. :-)

Let's not miss the chance to review your race and see how we can improve. If you have written a race report please post the link here and I'll dig in!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Long time no see! Sorry I haven't report my training for a long time. Not that I've just been sleeping but after Kona 2014 my motivation was very low. I turned over a new leaf and ran Ironman Cairns last Sunday. My overall time was 10:21:24 and earned the Kona slot in my age category (50-54, 7th place). However, I had to cancel the slot due to my personal reasons. I am very disappointed.

From now, I'm going to start training for IM Malaysia Nov 12th after the transition plan, intending to take the slot for next year there. Keep coaching me again. I hope I could meet the team and you again in Kona next year.

Akio

• Options
    Akio -

Congratulations on your performance at Cairns! anytime you go fast enough to earn a slot is impressive... Not to mention how fast you went!

I am more than happy to help you out. Let's get things back on track by first outlining your recovery. We need a few weeks just to help you absorb your prior training and the race before we start being more strategic about Malaysia. As always, we have to pay close attention to the conditions and how you will manage the heat there.

Have you raced the course before?
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thank you so much for your words.

I've raced Malaysia five times! Actually I raced last year too, but just for fun. The course is quite the same as that of last year at present. It is sure the heat makes the condition very tough, but I feel it is much better (cooler) than the killer heat of the summer in Tokyo.

For now I am in the first week of Post Ironman Transition Plan ending 7/10, and starting GF after it. Should I take rest for a while? OR can I start GF earlier, say after two or three weeks, than planned? I'd be happy if I get any suggestions from you.

Thanks!

• Options
    Akio, Thanks so much for the email. I can't believe you done it five times, but that's a huge advantage for you. I suggest that you go back and review your race reports and then come to tell me here what you think is the most important factor for your race. Is the bike? The run?

I only ask because given your high level of fitness, you have plenty of time to play with your schedule and get creative around a strategy that refines your strengths on the course. In other words, you are not locked into the following standard 12 week plan given your high level of fitness and experience at Malaysia the. Let me know what you think!

PS - at the present time I suggest you plan on two weeks of the recovery plan for a get back to even minimal training. Use this time to get in more recovery, yoga, and stretching.
  • Options

Coach, Patrick,

Sorry for my late update. I've been tied up with my (post race) work at office.

In Cairns, I think that the balance of my Bike and Run was very good. I just followed the EN usual strategy, which is riding in my zone 2 after 30min JRA for the bike and gradually pushing from zone 1 to TRP (and more for the final 10 miles) for the run. The bike course was rather easy with some rolling hills, but very windy. I had to ride about 44miles to headwind from the turning point to T2. The run course was totally flat, and the temperature was not so high (125-135), so it was easy to control the pace.

The problem was Swim, as usual. The sea was very rough, choppy and the waves rolled in to the beach, so I had trouble swimming to the starting point of the rectangular course (2laps).  I even mistook the 3rd buoy (bigger buoys were placed at the four corners) for the 2nd one, and swam straight from the 1st to 3rd, and returned to the 2nd just after almost reaching the 3rd! The condition of the sea became much worse over the time and the swim was canceled after 1:40.

The result was

Overall: 10:21:24

Swim 1:25:50

Bike: 5:14:13

Run: 3:26:33

T1: 10:10 / T2: 4:38

As a whole, I think my race was a success and went well except for T1. It took too long to put on Castelli top stealth t1! As you were suggesting, I think what I need for Malaysia is refining my strengths on the course, not the type of training for building my fitness. If so, how should I tweak my plan. Here in Tokyo, we are having a very hot and humid summer from now, even hotter than in Malaysia as I said last time! Let me know your ideas.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Akio, if I am not mistaken, Ironman has edited rules to allow you to swim in your castelli top (makes life much easier) at least for non-wetsuit swims:

"Finally, the swimwear rule has been changed. During non-wetsuit swims, swimwear sleeves, or race kits worn under sleeveless swimwear, may now extend from shoulders to elbows. http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/news/articles/2016/02/ironman-rules-q-and-a.aspx"

I assume you would just wear under a wetsuit otherwise.

I have no real edits from you here based on your race execution...I think we are good; it's a function of getting your fitness back up without overtaxing your run legs. Looking forward to working with you again!
  • Options

Coach Patricks

Oops! I missed that info about the non-wetsuits swims. Anyway, at Cairns wetsuits were allowed, but I chose not to wear castelli under my wetsuit because it was the first time to use it, and I was afraid it would be restrictive while swimming. But next time, at Malaysia I'm going to try to wear it under my swimsuit. (Wetsuits are not allowed)

Getting back to training plan, I'm going to follow the Post Ironman Transition Plan I'm now in, and get into GF from 7/11 as scheduled. Is it OK?

Thanks!

PS -- I seemed to be the only member from EN at Cairns. I hope I made some contribution to the team!

Akio Yamauchi 4666 Points

• Options
    Akio, Your overall plan sounds good. Remember as we have discussed before, the quality of your rest right now is what sets the tone for the rest of your year. Still resting off and the rest of your year will bear the weight of the fatigue that you are still carrying. enjoy the rest, and be smart with your diet and we can go from there once you get fast plan.

While were waiting to get there, maybe it's worthwhile brainstorming some bike and run targets for you so you can aim for them in the Get Fast plan? Do you have any ideas?
  • Options
    Coach Patrick

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to enjoy my downtime one more week (until 7/10) as planned.

I think (or am afraid) that my bike and run at Cairns was my peak performance so far this year. My bike split was at the 3rd place in my age group and run was at the 2nd.  I am not sure if I can build on them more from now. To put it the other way around, it is likely that I will be able to get a Kona slot if I can carry my fitness at Cairns to Malaysia.  Of course I know that I have to work hard on swim. Do I make sense?  My concern is that GF is very tough at intensity and that I'm not young, turning 54 this month. The rainy season is over here (earlier than usual), and we are having very hot days (said to be hotter than last year) until the end of August, when it will start to get cooler.  So if I just followed the plan, I am afraid I might end up collapsed.  Can I somehow dial down the menus in the plan a bit? Or am I overanxious?

Akio
  • Options
    Akio, I understand what you are saying. I think there is a middle ground.

YES to maintaining your fitness. That said, we can't do the same training for the remainder of your season and expect to be as fit or as sharp on race day.

I say you try the bike and swim intensity work....but you can keep the run at TRP effort (aka more Ironman specific). Let's try that for two weeks and see how it goes...how does that sound?

Limiting the run should really keep that excess fatigue in check....
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your advice. I may be a bit too nervous. OK. Intensity works for the Bike and Swim, and TRP for Run (but I want to put in  some threshold works or strides to keep my legs sharp). I'll try it for two weeks. BTW, I am having private lessons of swim from a former Olympic swimmer from next week (a few times for now, though). I hope it will help.

Thanks!

• Options
    Perfect! Strides are okay....but watch the run threshold stuff. Or rather, skip the hard threshold run for the first two weeks as you ease back into it (only do TRP or a few strides) and then we can start to work it in. Deal?

Good luck on the swim!!!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

I Got it! I'll be back here with the update after I've done the two weeks safely.

Thanks!

• Options
    Coach Patrick,

Here is my update for two weeks.

7/11-17

Mon: Swim 45'

Tue: Run 54' (@TPR) , Swim 110' (private lesson)

Wed: Bike 76' (2x15'@Z4 as in the plan), Swim 40' (review of the lesson)

Thu: Run 80' (@TRP), Swim 45'(review of the lesson)

Fri: Bike 80' (almost@Z3)

Sat-(next) Mon: OFF (family trip to Kyoto)

7/18-24

Mon: OFF

Tue: Run 54' (@TPR) , Swim 45' (focusing on stroke & rotation)

Wed: Bike 75' (3x10'@Z4 as in the plan), Swim 50' (focusing on stroke & rotation)

Thu: Run 78'(@TPR)

Fri: Run 35' (easy jog) , Swim 50' (focusing on stroke & rotation)

Sat: Bike 4hr (78mi group ride w/ some threshold intervals)

Sun: Bike 90' (60'@Z2-3)

I feel I have almost recovered my fitness before Cairns. Should I start to put in some threshold work to Run?  As to Bike, I think I can do as planed, but might have to dial down the time for the intervals a little in this heat. When I took the swim lesson on 7/12, I was told by the coach that I have trouble with rotation and stroke, so I'm going to do drills he prescribed for me for the time being.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Thanks for the update...here we go!

1) Swim skills all the time right now...for sure...it can only help!

2) You can do the FTP work on Tuesday only, rest is TRP...and start off easy. First week is 4 x 1/2 mile, then 2 x 1...and 2x1 should be enough moving forward.

3) Bike should be good...just mind the nutrition on those longer sessions as dehydration can really hurt the next few sessions!
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your suggestions!

I did 2x1/2mile on Tuesday morning "on trial basis" (before I read your reply). It went well but I felt 2x1 would be too much for me at the moment. I'm going to stick to 4x1/2 as you suggested for the time being. I believe nutrition would be one of the keys to survive this terrible heat down here, too. Anyway, I'm excited to be back training in earnest.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Great!!! Keep it rolling.....FYI, your RaceSaver bag shipped today!!!

~ Coach P
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Here is my GF Week 3's update:

Mon: Swim 30'  (recovery)

Tue: Run 54' (2x1/2 mile@Z4), Swim 45' (drill)

Wed: Bike 75' (2x20'@Z4 + 10x1' fast pedaling >130rpm), Swim 45' (drill)

Thu: Run: 100' (13mile(21km) TRP), Swim 30' (recovery)

Fri: Run 48' (Jog + 4x20" stride), Swim 50' (drill + interval)

Sat: Bike 250' (80 mile group ride including threshold work as planned), Swim 20' (recovery)

Sun: Run 48' (almost Z1-2ish), Bike 90' (indoor Z2-3)

I moved the Saturday run to Sunday (before Bike) because I felt a bit exhausted after two disciplines on the Week 2 Saturday. The fatigue lingered until Monday. At the moment tempo run plus long ride including threshold work seems a bit too much for me.  I think it was due to not only my fitness but to the heat. Can I keep this pattern (Sat-long bike, Sun-run+short indoor bike) until I'm used to the heat?

Thanks1

PS Thanks for shipping the bag! I'm looking forward to receiving it.

• Options
    Akio -

That's a great update, and I like your adjustment for now. The most important things that we don't set the stage for carrying too much fatigue from week to week. Hopefully this adjustment gets it done. I can't wait to hear about the bag when you get it, good luck!

~ Coach P
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

The bag arrived safely yesterday! Thanks a lot! It looks very nice. I'll use it for TRP run and tempo run and get back to you with my weekly update.

Thanks! 

• Options
    Amazing! Can't wait to hear about it.

Ps - my favorite two tips... #1 for the long run bring it with you and pop into a convenience store / fast food chain just to get ice. #2 when you get home from a hot session, fill it with ice and drop it in your shorts / put it next to your femoral artery...you'll stop sweating in a minute! image