Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options
    Other option we dial back effort to 110%...your call!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your suggestion. But what do you mean by "dial back to 110%"? Can I do 5x3'or 7x2'@110%? Which I think is your answer to my last question. Anyway I'll try.

My weekend rides went like this:

Sat (after 50min Run): 315min 107mi@NP 190W (with race wheels)

Sun: 190min 63mi@NP 196W (with an aero helmet)

Both of the two days are very hot, so I started with four bike bottles on my bike.

Thanks!

• Options
    Either one...110% might be more attainable, that's all.

Nice work over the weekend. How many bottles do you take in for the entire ride?
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

I got it (about the intensity and duration)!  For the Saturday ride, I took 11 bottles. For Sunday, 5 bottles. All of which were electrolyte, not pure water. I always carry electrolyte tablets for bike rides. I hope they were enough!

Thanks!

• Options
    Ok, perfect. Try arm coolers as well...do you have those? You'll use them in Kona for sure!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Yes, of course! I cannot go without them for long rides (especially when longer than 60miles)  in the summer heat here.  I have three types of arm coolers, all of which are of De Soto: a normal type of arm coolers, Palm Coolers and Cool Wings (bolero). Which type of them do you recommend for Kona?

Thanks!

• Options
    Arms on the bike, the wings for the run (I personally think it's too windy for the wings on the bike). :)
  • Options
    Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your advice! I didn't imagine the wings would increase drag on a windy condition.

My update for this week:

Mon: only swim (drills). I usually drop Monday run to make this a no-leg day. (Is this OK?)

Tue to Friday: as in the list. On Wed I tried the bike interval@110% after the threshold ride based on your advice, and it worked! It seems I could sustain 110% if I dialed down the set to 7x2min instead of 3x5min.

Sat: safely done the big day, but moved up the swim to Fri because it was going to rain on Sat in the afternoon. Did bike 100miles @NP200W, and run 60min as 30min@Z1 and 30min@Z2.  Felt quite good!

Thanks!

• Options
    Great call on the Monday no legs day -- quality adjustment and if the rest of your week is quality (as it appears to be!) then you win. Nice work!!
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick! I'll try my best to win!

• Options
    Coach Patrick,

My Week 12's update is here:

Mon: Swim drills
    Tue: Bike FTP test (5min@315w 20min@284W) in the morning and run 30min@Z1-2 in the evening
    Wed: Swim intervals as in the list
    Thu: I was supposed to 5k test but dropped it due to a slight pain in the knee, so I copied the last week's long run (@Z1-2 and final push@Z3) and it was OK.
    Fri: Swim 1000m TT@14:50 (my PR!) during the lunch break and run 50min@Z1-2 (incl.8xstride) in the evening
    Sat: Run 50min (incl. 1x1mi@zone4) and Bike 310min@NP 194W
    Sun: Bike 195min@NP 200w

So I have two questions:

1. My FTP lowered by 5W than the former test. Should I follow this result or still keep the former 275W (4.25W/kg)?
    2. Should I do the 5k test that I dropped this week in week 13?

Thanks!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

First of all, congratulations on the third place in the AG @ IMMT! I was really excited to read you race report and also learned a lot for Kona, too. I'm looking forward to seeing you and all the other competitors from EN in October.

So, this weeks (week 13) update: (I asked two questions last time, which I hope you could answer later)

Mon: Swim drills

Tue: Run 50' incl. 2x1mi@Z4 as in the list. Swim: Intervals as in the list.

Wed: Bike 2x20'@Z4+3x2'@110% (couldn't complete 7 sets). Run 30'@Z1-2 (couldn't hit Z2-3 as in the list due to fatigue).

Thu: Run 120' progressive pace run as in the list. Was able to hit Z3 for the last 15'. Swim 30'@easy & random for recovery.

Fri: Swim intervals as in the list. Run 60min@Z1-2 (incl.8xstride) in the evening

Sat: Run 50min (incl. 1x1mi@zone4).  Bike 320min@NP 190W (the course was very windy like Kona!)

Sun: Bike 190min@NP 200w

I was able to complete 2x20' set@former Z4 on Wednesday, so it seems I don't need to reset my FTP, do I?

Thanks!

• Options
    Thanks for the kind words! Keep the old FTP for sure and no you don't need the 5k. The fatigue is high right now but you are doing all the right work. Continue to be smart about taking a day if you need it (like you did with the 5k session). I really like where your fitness is at!!!
  • Options
    Thanks, Coach Patrick. I'll go on like this!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

My week 14's update is here. It's been rather cool this week with a bit of rain, I felt very fine.

Mon: Swim drills.

Tue: Run 52' incl. 2x1mi@Z4 as in the list. Swim 70' Intervals as in the list.

Wed: Bike 65' incl. 2x20'@Z4 (didn't have time for MS2). Swim 30'@easy pace for recovery. Intended to run in the evening, but couldn't.

Thu: Run 136' progressive pace run as in the list.

Fri: Run 45'@Z1-2 (incl.8xstride). Swim 90' intervals as in the list.

Sat: Bike 90' (indoors)@NP 211W. Run 50' (incl. 1x1mi@zone4).  (not brick, did bike and run separately)

Sun: Bike 320min (107mi)@NP 200W TSS 255.3.

Shuffled the Sat and the Sun bike because it rained on Sat. I think so far so good. This week I am going to do my first Camp Week as scheduled.

Thanks!

• Options
    SOLID!! Be sore to join the IM Hawaii group so you get all our updates!!' :)
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick!

Sure! I'm already in the thread!

• Options

Coach Patrick,

I somehow got my Camp Week done! Here is the update:

Mon: Swim 30' only drills. (slipped into the gym 40min before its closing time, due to my work)

Tue: Run 50' incl. 2x1mi@Z4 as in the list. Swim 70' Intervals as in the list.

Wed: Bike 60' incl. 2x20'@Z4. Run (brick): 45' (20'@Z1-2, 22'@Z2-3, 3'@easy jog). Swim 30'@easy swim & walking for recovery.

Thu: Swim 3800m TT 75' (had no time for WU, jumped in the pool and started swimming). Not so bad for my 3800m TT swimming around the other people in the same lane.

Fri: Bike 112mi@NP184W + Run(brick) 9mi@7’38"/mi (the bike course was very windy but felt so good throughout the workout!)

Sat: Bike 112mi@NP180W (my legs were fresher than I expected)

Sun: Run 153' progressive pace run as in the list (added the last 18' of easy jog & walking for warm down).

Should I go on as scheduled/planned in the list? Or some tweaks for Week 16? Anyway I'll take two days off for today and tomorrow (perhaps some swimming if I feel like it)

Thanks! 

• Options
    You are FIT!!! Impressive! No modifications other than resting up...you'll need the recovery now to make sure you are good for the final push. Be sure to save all the HR/pace info for learning re Kona!
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick!

Then, I go on like this. BTW should I register your pre-race webnar about Kona on 10/1? It will start at 9:00 AM here, so I might not be able to watch it due to my work, though.

Thanks!

• Options
    No need to register it'll be recorded but you could post your questions here for me!!
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick,

It's good news that I can watch the webnar later. But I try to sit and watch your briefing live!

Thanks!

• Options

Coach Patrick,

Here is my Week 16's update:

Mon: OFF

Tue: Swim 30'@easy & random pace for recovery.

Wed: Bike 55' incl. 2x15'@Z4. Run (brick): 45' (20'@Z1-2, 22'@Z2-3, 3'@easy jog).

Thu: Run 167' progressive pace run as in the list (150' as in the list + 17' way back home from the course@very easy jog & some waking). Swim 15' for recovery.

Fri: Run 52'@Z1 with 6x30" strides. Swim 3800m TT 75' same as the last week.

Sat: Run 45' (just ran@Z1 pace). Bike 330'(106mi)@NP182W.

Sun: Bike 210' (63mi)@NP175W (changed to recovery ride@Z1 due to some fatigue).

I've been rather tired this week (provably because of the last (Camp) week), so dialed down the intensity of the week end workouts a little. Was this OK? Actually I have a bit of a sore throat today (Mon). Perhaps cold? So I am going to take today off. BTW here in Japan

today is a national holiday -- "Respect for the Aged Day."

Thanks!

• Options

Coach Patrick,

Additional questions about the weekend rides. The weather forecast says that it is going to rain on this coming Saturday and Sunday. Can I move the Saturday long ride to Thursday, and the RR run to Saturday or Sunday? I can take a half-day off on Thursday. Or any other ideas?

Thanks!

• Options

Coach Patrick,

I haven't been answered yet, but here is my Week 17's update:

Tue: Bike FTP Test, back to 276W (rather higher than my best number, only by 1W).

Wed: Run 50'@easy jog. remained fatigued from the FTP Test. Swim 30'@easy & random pace for recovery.

Thu: (shuffled the long run with the Sat long ride) Run 55' (incl. 1x1mi@zone4). Bike 320' (165mi)@NP 195W.

Fri: Swim 3800m TT@76'.

Sat: Bike 245' (75mi)@NP204W

Sun:  RR run (was able to hit each of my zones).

I had to change the order of the workouts this week due to the weather, but doing the long run on Sunday makes me really exhausted , and it seems fatigue has been building up. Can I take two days (Mon and Tue) off and start Week 18 with Wed's Bike?

Thanks!

• Options
    I deathly want you to take two consecutive days off. Followed by two light days, one swimming only one spinning. Pick things back up again Friday of this week. You're exhausted because you have already done great work -- it's time to let it absorb as we are getting closer to the race now.
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your advice. I'll do so. But I'd like to do the RR on Sat unless I feel bad. I believe it'll be OK.

Thanks!

• Options

Coach Patrick,

Here is my Week 18's update:

Tue: OFF

Wed: Bike 35'@easy spinning.

Thu: Swim 60' drills and easy swimming. Run: 30'@easy jog.

Fri: Swim 3800m TT@75'.

Sat: RR Day

Sun:  OFF

Thanks to your advice I felt refreshed and was able to complete the RR safely. When RR I tried the strategy that you syncronize the HR@first few miles of Run with the HR@the last 1hr of Bike (which I read somewhere in WIKI). It seems to work for me.

Today (Sun) is OFF, but if I feel tired tomorrow morning I will drop run interval and only do some swimming. These is virtually only one week left for Kona. I will try my best to start the race on 10/11 in top condition.

Thanks!

• Options
    I can't wait to meet you! You are so ready...
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick!

It's a pity I missed your Webnar today. I had a meeting first thing in the morning. But I'm getting psyched up for Kona. I'll take care not catch cold at least until the race is over! Thanks!