Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Akio Yamauchi's Micro Thread

Comments

• Options

Coach Patrick,

My first short course race in 18 years was safely done last Saturday @2:30. It was an ordinary record, and I couldn't "tear it up." -- I was passed by a lot of competitors while I was putting on my socks -- but the bike/run course was very hard, so it gave a really good workout!

I have started IM plan this week, and am suddenly in a camp week.  That's fine with me, but I have a question about Friday to Sunday. It is likely to rain on Friday. If so, how should I configure these three days long ride/run? Here in Tokyo, we have a rainy season from June to the end of July every year. It doesn't rain every day, though...

Thanks!

• Options
    Akio what is your race? I thought it was kona, camp week means your IM is in 5-6 weeks? If you had to you could run/ride/ride...would that work?
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Sorry for no information! Before Kona I am having a local long course race  (Kaike traiathlon) on 7/20 which is S 1.88mile, B 91mile, R 26mile. Refer to the road map attached. So I am in 15th week of IM plan. This race is certainly a "B" race for me before Kona which is an "A" race. In this case how should I manage/configure/tweek my plan? I consider Kaike a kind of simulation of Kona.  It is almost definite that it will rain tomorrow, so I have time to reset my mind and training plan.

Thanks!

• Options
    Sorry I missed this...what did you do?
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Here is my workout of last week. I skipped the Camp.

Monday: 60min@easy/random swim (including drills), I usually skip the Monday run and make it "no leg day."

Tuesday: Run 60min including threshold intervals (2 x 1 mile (2') @ z4) as in the plan.  Swim as in the plan, but skipped MS3 due to lack of time.

Wednesday: Bike threshold intervals (2 x 20' (5')) as in the plan. Tried to do the MS2 (3 x 5' (3') @ 110%), but couldn't hold 110% even at the first set so stopped there.

Thursday: Swim 3.8km TT@75min (good time for me?)

Friday: Run 60min@zone1-2.  Swim 30min@easy swim for recovery.

Saturday: Bike long ride@330min including hill climbing courses, almost @zone2-3.

Sunday: Run (before Bike) 50min including 1 x 1 mile@ z4. Bike 195min@ABP.

This week (Monday and Tuesday):

Monday: Swim 60@easy/random swim (including drills).

Tuesday (today): Run 60min including threshold intervals (2 x 1 mile (2') @ z4) as in the plan. Will do Swim in the evening.

What is your thought?

• Options
    Looks good to me. What changes are you trying to make pre-#IMkona? Improve bike? Run? Swim?
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick!

>>What changes are you trying to make pre-#IMkona? Improve bike? Run? Swim? 

I would say all of them! No, that seems impossible. I want to improve Bike because the Bike course of IM Kona is/was so tough. I downloaded and watched your Ironman Kona Webinar yesterday. What should I do to take on the Kona Bike course, for example some special tweaks for the week end long rides?

Thanks!

• Options
    Bike is a great place to start. It's such a unique layout...fast at first, then a hill with recovery, then really hard TT ride back. But the webinar tells you that. :) I would plan on being really aero. Being able to drink a ton an hour (up to 2 bottles and hour!). And then really focusing on a bigger gear / lower cadence over the last 90 minutes to get used to that level of work!
  • Options

Thanks for your suggestions! About your third suggestion (using a bigger gear / lower cadence over the last 90 minutes), should I go to the hills for that purpose, or can I do that on a flat course? I can ride on both of those courses for weekend rides, but I have to ride 32miles to the hills. My main bike course is the cycling road along the river, which is 10miles from my house. It's really flat and sometimes very windy (like Kona), but I can ride 180km non-stop on it, if I will and don't need to refill my bike bottles.

Thanks!

• Options
    I would stick to the flat sections for the big gear work, that allows you to do as much of it is you want to without being stuck in the hills. I think that's the best for your development at this time. You have to send us some pictures of where you train.
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick. Sure I will stick to the flat courses for weekend rides. After this weekend I will take and show you the pictures of the course.

Thanks!

• Options
    Thank YOU!
  • Options

Coach Patrick

Here are some pictures of my usual bike course. It runs on a cycling road along a river until which I ride 10miles from home. The last 2miles runs on a public highway to a convenience store at the halfway point (53mile) where I refill my bike bottles and take some snacks. I went out riding in the rain to take these pictures for you!

Thanks!

• Options
    Wow! this is beautiful!
  • Options

Hi, Pat

This is my favorite weekend bike course.  Located in the suburbs of Tokyo, extending to other prefectures. You can ride over 125 miles nonstop on it if you will!

• Options

Coach Patrick,

I have a question about this Saturday's Race Rehearsal, which is set for "Kaike triathlon" on 20th July. In this race the distance of Bike is 91mi. Can I cut down the distance of the RR bike to 91mi, or should I ride 112km for Kona? OR better to make it an usual weekend 300min ride at zone2-3?  What is your thought?

Thanks!

• Options

Coach Patrick,

I've been waiting for your suggestion about weekend ride for five days, but no answer. I did the RR on last Saturday as listed, though. How should I manage the taper for the 7/14 race, whose swim and bike is a bit shorter (1.9mi 91mi) than Ironman? As for me, I'd like the taper shorter too as it is a "B" race.

Thanks!

• Options
    Akio, so sorry. Those beautiful pictures you took in the rain kept crashing my computer! image But I am back!

The longer RR is better....but either way is okay.

In terms of taper, regular workouts through Wed. Thursday is a 45' run with strides. Friday is swim only from your plan. Saturday is off, Sunday is race, Monday is off...and we go from there!
  • Options

Wow, I didn't think my pics would make you PC crashed! I don't have any idea why, either, but glad the PC is OK. Just to make sure about the workouts through Wed next week, what do you mean by "regular workouts?" Should I do the week 19-20 as in the list, which I thinks is for taper or  can I do, for example, the workouts as in the week 17, which seems to be "regular" to me?

Thanks!

• Options
    Week 17!!!
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

I got it! Thanks!

• Options

Coach Patrick

I safely got my "go for broke" race (no taper, only one day off) done on Sunday. This was my first time I ran a long course race with no taper at all, but I finished @ the third place in my age category (50-54), so I'm satisfied. It was hot and humid with the highest temperature being 90F just after the rainy season was over. The best gain from this race was that I was able to execute the last ten miles of the run part (full marathon) as I did at Thursdays progressive pace run. That workout worked!

Now I am going to start for Kona in earnest from this week, but what should I do for this week (in week 9 out from 11 weeks of Kona)? I'd like to take a few days off if possible. And after that (from next week) should I sitck to the plan once again, or are there any modifications to make?

Thanks!

• Options
    Akio, that's phenomenal. Seriously. Yes you need a few days off..just easy this week and even this weekend...nothing good will come from working hard here. Maybe an easy spin on one day (like 2-3 hour EASY) and a swim the other day or a hike or something active but not HARD.

Next week we pick up the plan to kona. Before I make any edits to the plan, let's see how your first week goes (unless you have some scheduling changes to make). Sound good?
  • Options

Thank you, Coach Patrick!

This race is the first triathlon race in Japan, which started 34 years ago (two years after the first IM Hawaii), and a long-established event, so I'm very happy to get the third place in my age cat. like this.

I feel quite good now, having a good appetite and a good sleep.  In fact, to my surprise, I had almost no muscle pain the next day after the race and was able to walk as I do every day although I had run 42km!

My workout this week is like this: I had four days off through Thursday. Did easy swim for 30min yesterday (Fri), easy jog for 45min this morning (Sat), and am going to do some ride outdoors (easy spin) tomorrow (Sun).

So how should I go on for Kona from next week? One thing on my mind is that here in Tokyo (and almost all areas of Japan) we have VERY hot days toward the beginning of September with over 90F every day. I hope you could advise me with this into consideration.

Thanks!

• Options
    I love the recovery, that's a great sign. The heat is GREAT KONA training, but you'll need to be a rock star with your hydration, etc,. in every single workout. No slacking.

I like the week as the plan is laid out...so unless you need to modify something I say we start there. Modifications could be looking for a better run...or a better bike...or improved open water swim experience, etc...lots of options based on your goals!
  • Options

Thanks Coach Patrick

Then I will stack to the plan for the time being, and give you a feedback later. But If "I" insist, I'd like my bike improved more to run better. Thanks!

• Options
    Really the biggest delta in relation to kona isn't more power but improved application of that power over the course and under heat stress. Same with the run. IOW more faintness is nice but if you can't use it....it's no bueno.

My quick checklist for #IMkona:
    + hydration plan for bike
    + coolness plan for bike
    + aero plan for bike
    + application of watts for bike.
    + coolness plan for run.
    + hydration plan for run.
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Thanks for your tons of mojo! You also want to say that Race day is about execution, not fitness, right? 

By the way, I have a question about the MS 2 for Wednesdays rides (3 x 5' (3') @ 110%/Low Zone5/Hard-Very Hard). I tried to do this this morning following the MS 1, BUT like before I couldn't hit 110% for 5min even at the first set, so I stopped there. What should I do about this? Skip MS2 all, or dial down the intensity, or shorten the time or ....?

Thanks!

• Options
    Try 5x3'....or 7x2'...
  • Options

Coach Patrick,

Wow,  it still seems highly challenging, but I'll try!

Thanks!